Samuel Adams White Christmas - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White ChristmasSamuel Adams White Christmas

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-22-2012

As crisp as the first snowfall of the year, this unfiltered white ale is blended with holiday spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, & orange peel. The familiar citrus and wheat characters of the ale are complemented by the warmth of the spices for a festive brew that's perfect for the season.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Christmas Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,530 | Reviews: 306
3.02/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a glass, would be a decent summer beer in my opinion as a witbier.

2.43/5  rDev -29.6%

Got this in a variety pack for winter. S/kind of a sour type wheat with slight citrus. T/the typical wheat beer with some spices in the back end. I did detect hints of spices mostly on the first few sips. There is light carbonation which is nice. O/It is a Sam Adams. What can you expect from most of their beers? It is drinkable but does not keep my attention throughout the beer. I would not seek this out by itself but unfortunately I had to get the pack to get the Old Fezziwig.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Cloudy pale yellow, with a subtle white head.

S - Slightly sour wheat and grain notes. A bit of straight ahead malts.

T - Sweet fruit and spice, mostly nutmeg and cloves, with a bit of stone fruit and apples. Slightly soured grains.

M - Brisk. Slight drying in the close.

O - Decent witbier, good use of spice. An integrated, tightly constructed beer that does not wow, but delivers a reasonable drinking experience.

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a 1inch of fluffy white into a 16oz Georgia Bulldog pint glass, and the body of this beer had a light golden color with a cloudy white haze to it. The aroma was by far the best part of the beer, having a nice mix of nutmeg, cinnamon, and orange. The taste pretty much matches up with what you get from the aroma, and as you drink this beer you get a light frosty lacing all along your glass. The mouth feel of this beer is thin with light carbonation. Samuel Adams White Christmas is a good beer, and it hit all its marks of being a Witber.

3.92/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A very good smooth christmas taste. It is definitely one of the great Christmas beers.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

not a bad beer, but nothing special. drinkable like most Sam Adams, but ehhh

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Worst sam Adams I've had

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoy this beer. Thank you Samuel Adams!

2.88/5  rDev -16.5%

The wheat flavors dissipate as the beer warms up and the spices begin to bloom. Great lacing and a nice head. Compared to other Sam Adams offerings I'd say this is subpar, but I'm not a big fan of wheat.

2.38/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Eh not to great would rather spend the extra for a good craft

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Alright witbier, however for Sam Adams winter collection, I think I prefer the Winter Lager.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an opaque copper color with a one finger fluffy white head.

The smell is wheat and spices, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.

The taste follows the nose this being a pretty standard wheat beer with spices. There is also a hint of some sort of citrus taste and everything blends together quite nicely but nothing really pops or stands out. It is an interesting choice by Sam Adams to blend a wheat beer with holiday spices. It might be a good beer to use in order to introduce a friend to wheat beers.

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a dark golden yellow with the lightest tinge of orange. A decent, thick finger of head laced on top. The beer looks wonderful, with that slight orange tinge, and I can almost already smell it.

The smell is light, grainy, and malty, with a slight fragrance of spice mixed in. I feel like I can almost smell the mixture of grain, cloves, and citrus. This is a spiced beer, so I was not overall surprised by the fragrance.

The first sip reveals a whimsical mixture of grainy hops, heavy orange citrus, and an added note of clove in the middle. No one element presents itself too aggressively in this beer, but the orange citrus is definitely noticeable. I am slightly disappointed by how mundane this beer is once I taste it. Although it is a very well mixed medley, I find myself wishing for something to truly come out in this beer, to assert itself. No one thing in this beer really stands out for me. It's just a good, tame, spiced brew.

Mouthfeel is lighter than I would expect from a winter brew. I was expecting dark and muddy but I got a lighter play, which I actually really enjoyed.

Overall, this beer was a fair-to-middlin' seasoned brew. I really enjoyed the citrus with that slight clove afternote. I said earlier and now repeat, I wish this beer could have asserted itself in some way, maybe with a little more orange zest, but I can't say I was disappointed overall. Great seasonal brew, I would definitely try it again next year.

4.22/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

probably my favorite sam reminds me of a winter pumpkin beer

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a nice, refreshing winter beer. Typical Adams in that they did not over-do any aspect.

Samuel Adams White Christmas brewed by Boston Beer Company, with an ABV of 5.80% This brew pours out a nice cloudy amber color with a nice thick white head. White Christmas is an unfiltered brew you can not see thought it. The smell is rich with grains and malts. Now for the taste is sweet with some grains. You pick up on some citrus and spice in this brew. There is a lot going on in this brew. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. The mouthfeel is clean and finishing. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, this brew has a nice balance to it. Boston Beer Company did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again.

Samuel Adams White Christmas - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams). Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, White Christmas has got a 1.5 finger thick finely porous white head, residual lacing, and a hazy,golden body.

Smells like the citrus peel mentioned on the label, along with other classic witbier elements. The "holiday spice" notes are quite subtle

I taste pretty much the same characteristics as with the aroma. As with them, this tastes is mellow, but certainly there. I can pick up the cinnamon and nutmeg more during a swig versus a sniff.

Mouthfeel here is smooth and clean. A tad creamier than most of the witbiers I've experienced. Nice performance here.

Overall, I'll give a 4 to Samuel Adams White Christmas - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams). It wasn't a very profound brew, but a good diversion away from the heavier, darker "winter beers" released by these guys and most other brewers. I might buy this again to bust the rut.

4.4/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice light, cloudy, hazy color. Very good witbier in my opinion, especially for winter.

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

The color is a hazy yellowish/orange with two fingers of foamy white head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is citrus at first with some allspice aroma that gives a bit if a Christmas feel to it. There is a touch if ginger in the nose as well.

The taste is a spicy with some a touch of Belgian malt character. There is some ginger here but not as strong as in the nose. There is done allspice and a touch of clove flavor is taken over by a citrus rind flavor.

The feel if this beer is light and has a great smooth finish. This is highly drinkable and only a slight aftertaste that goes away quickly.

3.14/5  rDev -9%

L: Pours a pale orange with minimal white head that didn't retain any lacing. The beer is very cloudy, but has a good number of carbonation bubbles. Not very appealing overall.

S: Moderate aroma of spices. I smell orange peel, ginger and netmeg over some very light wheat notes. Nothing outstandingly aromatic, but decently pleasant.

T: A bit bland to start with, a light bread flavor hits the tongue initially. Light orange peel notes and nutmeg with a faint touch of cinnamon and the faintest touch of spicy hop flavor. The finish is mostly nutmeg with the orange peel lingering in the aftertaste. Nothing very bold, but this isn't a very bold style. It's light, balanced and refreshing, but forgettable.

F: Very light and watery. Some zest, but not enough to make up for the watery feel.

O: A pretty average Witbier. Nothing too offensive, but nothing that makes it pop. I'm mostly disappointed by the lack of zest and think the spices could be a bit bolder for a Holiday example of the style, but happy with the balance of the beer and the orange peel and nutmeg flavors are tasty enough to make it every so slightly above average for the style in my opinion.

This beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx. 55F.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice 1 inch head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing down a goblet glass.

There is a decent amount of sniff with a sweet orangish smell that I really like. I also get the bready wheat malts as well.

Taste is nice and sweet reminding me of a blue moon. The sweet gives way to that bready, wheat taste and a little spice, maybe cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium with a good carbonation.

Overall, a good beer but not enough of the Christmas spice in my opinion to be in a seasonal pack. I like blue moon and I like this beer but would go with the blue moon over this one because of price and availability.

3.73/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a great looking, slightly hazy bright orange, with about 1.5 fingers of white foamy head. Can see an average amount of carbonation rising up the beer.

Smell - 3.5/5
Breadiness, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice. Smell is slightly sweet. Honestly, this smells like a pumpkin beer, not a christmas beer.

Taste - 3.9/5
Nutmeg, cinnamon, pie crust, light citrus. Light slight caramel malt taste. Again, this tastes basically like a pumpkin beer.

Mouthfeel - 3.8/5
Medium bodied, crisp but also smooth. Has a medium amount of medium-high carbonation.

Overall - 3.6/5
This was a decent beer, but honestly it tasted very similar to some pumpkin beers I've had. I was kind of disappointed, as I was expecting something a little more "Christmas-y". Still, I won't mine drinking the other 3 I got as part of the SA winter variety pack.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

Orange peel with a hint of Christmas spices. I don't know why but the people at Sams can't seem to figure out that orange peel is a strong ingredient that overpowers any others. They have the same problem with the white lantern. I want to like this beer, but until they try harder with their recipes I'll always look elsewhere for creative brews.

2.99/5  rDev -13.3%

Yet another mediocre brew from an overrated brewery.

Samuel Adams White Christmas from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)