Samuel Adams White Lantern - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White LanternSamuel Adams White Lantern

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Ford on 12-28-2012

2.02/5  rDev -41.4%

Appearance: poored into a Hobgoblin pint glass color is orange but hazy almost a burnt orange.

Smell: tangerine, wheat and some lemon

Taste: this is a below average witbier, i'll give you 2 reasons that all Sam Adams have the same similiarties and that is unbalanced and the other is very much too experimental before they perfect something

Mouthfeel: i think this was the worst of all; soapy mouthfeel and when it goes down rough on the throat it really lingers in flavor

2.16/5  rDev -37.4%

Didn't read what type of beer I was drinking so there wasn't any bias on taste. I did see "wit" in some other reviews, so some type of wheat beer. Tastes like soap, smells like soap, not totally awful like old english or something, but Sam Adams seems to think they can compete with Tucher or Franziskaner, but still put out enough product to line the shelf on every store in the US. They can't. They already charge premium prices, take the effort to find the lesser available, but better quality, beers. Your palate will thank you.
Edit-just realized it was a wit, not a hefe. My review is skewed, but the impression of the taste still stands. I simply may not be a wit beer guy.

2.2/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A - little to no head and no lacing. Color is cloudy light orange.

S - Light aroma with off smells, lemony smells

T - Orange flavor with grapefruit and off flavors, disappears quickly with maltyness lingering

M - Watery and slick, very light carbonation

O - Very poorly done or I had an off product but I was well within the freshness date. Not a whole lot here. Tastes like a dull malt

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Color- straw gold. Minimal head.

Aroma- wheat, spices including coriander and rose petal.

Taste- A lackluster and disappointing wit beer interpretation. Starts wheaty with spices and orange zest but finishes placid with a lingering staleness.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 9/2/2013.

2.51/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I poured this yukkie beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a cloudy mess with a thin little wimpy head. The smell was like sour soup or something. The taste was sour also and just not good. It was all I could do to finish it off. Fruity flay tasting mess of a beer. They need to ditch that one. I will never buy or drink another.

2.78/5  rDev -19.4%

12oz bottle from a 12pack spring sampler. Pours a hazy greyish(?)- golden color with a fluffy, white head that sticks around for awhile. Aroma is somewhat sour with wheat, citrus,spice, orange zest, tangerine. Tastes are slightly sour and tart with soggy wheat, tangerine, mandarin orange, coriander, pepper. Thinner body with moderate carbonation. Overall, not the greatest witbier - disappointingly odd, to say the least.

2.79/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured 12 oz. bottle into a flared tulip glass. Slightly cloudy, light amber with a dense, white foam that left some sticky lacing.

Citrusy hops with a little bit of spicy sweetness on the nose.

The taste is hops and spice with a fairly short finish for a comparatively complex taste.

Fairly light body with no dryness, but not really present.

Good, but not great, it's excellent for making beer batter and I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered me one, but I'm not going to buying it again.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a pale, hazy, yellow-gold coloring with a ton of carbonation and a sparse, filmy coating of white head. Aromas of apricot and orange rind, with a bready and slightly buttery undertone. Very sugary sweet smell overall. Flavors of bread, first and foremost, with a blended marmalade highlight of sweet citrus and apricot. Unbalanced, and a touch cloying. The body is thin and filmy from the carbonation, and there is a sharp, frothy finish. Syrupy sweet aftertaste. This beer is a little much on the sweet for me, but I could see it being appealing to the cider population venturing into the beer world.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz. bottle, the notch on the label says best by July 2013. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about a finger of head with basically no retention, a murky lemon peel like color.

S - Can definitely smell the tangerine and the coriander, but they are both faint against the wheat smell, and the aroma basically fades away within a few minutes. Typical witbier type smell.

T - Crisp tangerine and some wheat. The spices are somewhat prominent in the finish. Decent level of carbonation, pretty well balanced. I was kind of expecting it to taste exactly like the Samuel Adams White Christmas, but I was wrong, this beer is probably better and more flavorful.

M - Crisp, soda-pop type feel happening here, so probably a little over carbonated, but that is to be expected when drinking Samuel Adams beers, I'd say. Otherwise, a dry, vaguely spicy finish.

Overall, a decent beer. I got this as part of the sampler 12 pack, and while it isn't my favorite beer by Samuel Adams, this one isn't bad. Better than the Samuel Adams White Christmas in my opinion, but I would give them both another go if I had the chance.

Samuel Adams White Lantern ---3/5.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a hazy shade of yellow with a two finger white head. Not hazy enough to be considered true to form for the style...just looks sloppy. Bleh

S- smells very "clean", with a decent bit of lemon coming through and little else

T- very light citrus, no bitterness at all...I mean, what the hell. I've had more flavorful shandies than this.

M- paper thin body, as you'd expect

O- BBC just isn't too great at making witbiers...they all taste the same, and thoroughly mediocre

2.87/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle

Sam Adams continues to do little for me. If you're a Bud drinker, this is probably not a bad looking beer. It's not entirely clear, just mostly. It's got the basics of a milky golden color, but it's too clear and it's not milky/cloudy/hazy enough. The head is a couple finges thick and retains well. The pieces are there, they're just not well put together.

Kudos for a decent selection of spices. I can pick up the coriander and orange peel, but I'm missing the tangerine. Score would be higher if the scents were a bit more pronounced.

Again, the pieces are there, they just don't cooperate. Wheat and coriander, but that's it. Muted tastes.

A good wit pops. This lands with a thud. Like smell and taste, everything is too muted and subtle. Medium bodied. It's tangy-ish, but needs more. There's a splash of acidity, but needs more. It needs more of just about everything.

Run of the mill wit. Not quite good enough to be average, not even as good as Blue Moon. Skip this one.

2.88/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Ba Review #255
Served On: 2/20/2013
Glassware: SA Perfect Pint
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: June

This was a 12oz bottle from the spring mixed 12 pack I picked up at Evergreen Liquors in Frederick, MD ($15.99).

Look: A pale yellow with some haze. Thin coating of a head. Looked like a watered down wheat beer.

Smell: Some grassy citrus and bready malts. Also some lemon peel. No real ‘Grains of paradise’ were detectable. Maybe some type of pepper.

Taste: This basically was a wheat ale with some artificial lemon flavoring added. That’s really about it. I think a Blue Moon of Shock Top may have had more going on with it. I will say it is very drinkable, but so are most wheat ales.

I don’t know that I would seek this one out. It’s basically the Summer Ale in a different bottle.

2.91/5  rDev -15.7%

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with no dating--at least not that I saw, of course it's entirely possible that I forgot to look. I know it's a Sam Adams 2013 winter release, so it's pretty much fresh. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy orange with notes of honey and highlights of spun gold. I'm a little bit dismayed at the lack of haze compared to what I'm typically accustomed to with the style. If I didn't know better, I could have mistaken it for just chill haze from the protein. Head is really not any more impressive, as I'm only able to generate a half-finger of wimpy foam even with a fairly aggressive pour. The only positive is that what little head there is manages to stick around for quite awhile, but leaves basically zero lacing. Not off to a good start.

Smell - Unfortunately, the smell is not where this as yet unimpressive beer is going to get its second wind, so to speak. The lifelessness of the appearance has carried through to the smell, with notes of faint wheat and grain, as well as a surprisingly subdued spice note that I can identify as coriander if I try really hard. If I wasn't expecting/looking for the coriander, I doubt that I would've found it. I get none of the orange peel or tangerine except by way of a very generic fruity undertone that isn't recognizable as any specific aroma profiles.

Taste - The easiest way to sum it up is that it tasted like they took the Boston Lager recipe, replaced the caramel malt with wheat and pils malts, then added coriander. That's what this beer says to me--outside of the coriander spice (which is admittedly more pronounced here than in the aroma), there is nothing that really screams "WITBIER" to me in this offering from Sam Adams.

Mouthfeel - Lighter bodied and more crisp than any other wit I've had to date, perhaps from the use of the pils malt? Those characteristics aren't inherently bad, but they don't really meet what I consider to be the standard for the style. Maybe it's a "starter" wit? I dunno. Low carbonation as well.

Overall, this is the third wit I've sampled from Sam Adams, and unfortunately, they've produced two of the least favorite wits I've ever had, this being one of them. Interestingly enough, the two I haven't cared for made me feel that way by missing the wit style on opposite ends of the spectrum. One was over-saturated and hot while this one was bland and boring. This one might be a good place to start for someone who is wanting to ease into the style, and likes lighter, crisper lagers and ales, but for someone wanting genuine witbier taste, this is not the way to go.

2.94/5  rDev -14.8%

Hazy gold. Bib bubble jumble white head is all bluster and quickly fizzles away. A wheat beer should never be without at least some foam at any point. Certainly no within the first few sips.

Smells like sharp sawdust and lemon zest.

Started out orange citrus with a wheaty twang but then devolved into Nestea lemon iced tea.

Eh. It's been too long for me to remember, is this any different than the old SA spring wheat. Spritzier maybe? SA sure does love those Grains of Paradise.

2.94/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle from Spring Thaw pack poured into a weizen glass. "Best by" date of June.

White Lantern, which I'm guessing is Coastal Wheat re-labeled and/or modified from the original recipe, has a nice hazy golden body. The head, two fingers of bright white foam, recedes quickly to a cap and leaves loose rings of lacing that fade quickly. A nice, hazy body is about all I found nice about this beer. Meh. Not the big pillowy head I expect from a wit.

Like many other wheat-based beers by Sam Adams, White Lantern is heavy on the spices and alternate ingredients. When I first pour it, I can't get past the overwhelming orange peel - it's almost like I'm smelling orange juice. Some peppery spices emerge just below and grow as the beer warms. I don't pick up much of a yeast presence in this one, though there is maybe some clove. Primarily, I get smells of citrus and coriander, as well as some various other spices and a dash of malted wheat sweetness. It's okay. I'm reminded of a slightly spicier Blue Moon. Not enough complexity here for me.

The taste is smooth in itself but doesn't capitalize on what it could be. I think that this beer doesn't hold up on its own underneath all the spices and orange peel, which are the two dominating flavors. There's a hint of wheat sweetness in the finish, but the spices and orange peel seem to dominate everything else. There's also this weird soapy flavor lingering in the background over all the palate - I don't know if this is intended or not, but it wasn't really that enjoyable. While refreshing and crisp, this beer doesn't have a good enough wit foundation to hold its own, I think.

White Lantern's mouthfeel is about its only redeeming quality. With a creamy, medium body and crisp carbonation, this beer is refreshing if nothing else. Its slightly dry and tart finish is perfect for the spring season and for quenching thirst.

This is by far the weakest of the Spring Thaw pack. If I want a good and familiar wit, I'll go after Hoeegaarden or even Blue Moon. To me, this beer just doesn't have a very strong foundation. Meh.

2.94/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Paired with pretzels. Reviewed live.

A- One-finger white foamy head. Mediocre retention. Slight foamy lacing. Cloudy orange color with low clarity. Relatively attractive beer.

S- Orange pledge, wheat and brewing spices. Like a normal witbier but the citrus is stronger, almost like cleaning supplies. Meh.

T- Wheat. Orange and spices. Spicy and tart. Nothing a Blue Moon couldn't do.

M- Light and carbonation weak. Not terrible.

O- Could be better, but highly drinkable.

Appearance: Cloudy orange.
Smell: Some citrus.
Taste: Some citrus, some spice.
Mouthfeel: Some carbonation. Crisp.

There is a light citrus and spice to the taste. The smell is that distinctive, wheat citrus. It is fairly lackluster for the type. Nothing spectacular stands out; or rather, nothing is distinctively great about it. I would not get this again.

3.02/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a slightly hazy medium apple juice with a smallish white head that quickly dissipates to wisps of foam on top. The aroma is heavy on the orange and a bit spicy with coriander and a hint of fruity spicy wheat. The flavor is malty orange with a spicy edge. Its a bit sweet with light sugar and fruity malt and a bit of spice. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Decent beer, I could drink it, but I'm not sure I would want to it just not my thing.

3.02/5  rDev -12.5%

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The pour was a hazy golden orange with a large (2-3 finger) white rocky head that receded slowly, down to a medium cap which lasted throughout and produced fair spotty lacing.

The aroma was of a grain malt, light floral hops and a moldy yeast with notes of citrus (orange peel and tangerine), banana and coriander.

The taste was lightly sweet and rather yeasty with a touch of tangerine from the beginning, becoming a tad spicy with a hint of banana and a mild citrus peel bitterness towards the finish. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow, with a spicy yeast taste fading quickly off the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a somewhat mild carbonation.

Overall this brew was OK in taste and drinkability, but nothing overly special...

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

Hazed golden/touch of orange on the pour into a pint glass from standard pry off bottle. Half an inch of white foam settles out to a thin film and drops light lace.

Aroma is rather subtle on this one, with a bit of citru and coriander spice. No real yeast presence though perhaps a bit of sour wheat twange at times. More spice with warming.

Flavor is sweet up front with a smack of citrus followed by a lengthy orange and coriander finish. Bit sweet and one sided at first but does garner a bit more depth with some warming, expressing more spice as it does so.

Feel is a bit rich for the style and excarbated by the under represented carbonation level in the pour. Easy drinking nonetheless in a sense as the light carbonation and lack of stops on the bus route of flavor allow for a quick trip to your destination, that being the bottom of the glass.

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy orange colored beer that basically has a momentary white colored head.

Smells strongly of malt and citrus with some coriander. Reading the label it says tangerine and orange peel, Why? A Tangerine is a type of orange. Also says "Grains Of Paradise" on the label. I haven't the slightest idea what that is supposed to taste or smell like.

Starts out tasting of cracker malt and biscuit citrus flavor, orange and that is about it. Slightly peppery.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall an OK beer. Another one of Boston Beers wheat beer experiments.

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A- Bottle poured to a pint glass with a hazy light golden-yellow body. A white head forms with a foamy texture to about one finger in size. The retention of the cap is lackluster and a small bubbly ring stays behind. This ring leaves a few tiny spots of lace.

S- Usually I find that Witbiers have pretty strong noses, not hard to pick up. This one is not quite as strong as most with citrus peel instantly noticed up front. Beyond that there is a banana, clove and spicy yeast presence.

T- Pretty relaxed Wit yeast strain here, maybe not the strain but how they use it too. Lemon and orange zest, apricot, banana, slight clove and bubble gum, coriander and light malt sweets. Again a lot of citrus up front and not as much yeast presence as I would expect.

MF- Very creamy light body with moderately high carbonation. Just a bit of spiciness in the finish without a noticeable hop bitterness.

Not the most yeast influenced Witbier by any means but not bad at all. Expect a lot of orange and lemon peel feel here.

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

pours out a cloudy and hazed dirty gold colour with an inch high bone white head. bits of chunky lace. strong fruity aroma...the orange/tangerine combo provides the bulk of the nose with coriander/GoP playing second fiddle. any wheat or belgian inspired smells are drowned out. the taste profile is somewhat unique...underneath it all there is a sour note that lingers and dominates the other layers. the fruitiness comes across as liquid cantelope...spicy GoP, which i love in the summer ale isn't hitting the right mark here. i get faux belgian type notes and the whole thing is a bit muddled and messy. if this is supposed to be a quencher/refresher, this also misses due to the overly sweet and fullishness of the body. the mouthfeel is also way too creamy and rich for a real spring time quaffer. drinkability suffers due to the "meal in a bottle" aspect.

overall, this experiment from Sam Adams just misses the target for me. i should like it, but i just don't and that's ok.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

The slightly racist member of the Lantern Corps...? Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly hazy pale yellow-straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises light wheat, a pinch of black pepper, and a vague sense of citrus peel. The taste brings in more of the same, with less pepper and a tad more citrus. Everything still comes across as watered-down, artificially muted. It doesn't wanna be gagged, but what victim does, right? The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, a pretty meek wit, one with precious little spicing and a character so bland Michael Bay wants to replace him with something more rounded for one of his background characters.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a slightly hazy, pale golden orange color with tangerine edges and a one finger off-white head that immediately settles into a thin ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Sweet, slightly spicy aroma with a balance of zesty, peppery coriander, citrus fruit, banana and bready yeast. The yeast and banana notes stand out but are complimented by the grains and citrus. After it warms, hints of clementine, tangerine and grapefruit come to the forefront.

Medium bodied but fuller than expected with a prominent wheat/bready yeast flavor that overpowers the peppery spice and citrus sweetness. Slightly zesty with coriander, ginger and white pepper notes followed by hints of blood orange, tangerine and grapefruit but the bread and banana flavors are too strong for my liking, making it a bit one dimensional. Very easy to drink but could use more spice and citrus flavor.

Samuel Adams White Lantern from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)