Samuel Adams White Lantern - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White LanternSamuel Adams White Lantern

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Ford on 12-28-2012)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Lantern Alström Bros
craft_shannie

Oklahoma

06-04-2013 01:04:30 | More by Amp
barnzy78

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

12oz bottle from a 12pack spring sampler. Pours a hazy greyish(?)- golden color with a fluffy, white head that sticks around for awhile. Aroma is somewhat sour with wheat, citrus,spice, orange zest, tangerine. Tastes are slightly sour and tart with soggy wheat, tangerine, mandarin orange, coriander, pepper. Thinner body with moderate carbonation. Overall, not the greatest witbier - disappointingly odd, to say the least.

03-27-2013 01:21:21 | More by barnzy78
GarthDanielson

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a pale, hazy, yellow-gold coloring with a ton of carbonation and a sparse, filmy coating of white head. Aromas of apricot and orange rind, with a bready and slightly buttery undertone. Very sugary sweet smell overall. Flavors of bread, first and foremost, with a blended marmalade highlight of sweet citrus and apricot. Unbalanced, and a touch cloying. The body is thin and filmy from the carbonation, and there is a sharp, frothy finish. Syrupy sweet aftertaste. This beer is a little much on the sweet for me, but I could see it being appealing to the cider population venturing into the beer world.

02-23-2013 00:52:22 | More by GarthDanielson
mnredsoxfan69

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured 12 oz. bottle into a flared tulip glass. Slightly cloudy, light amber with a dense, white foam that left some sticky lacing.

Citrusy hops with a little bit of spicy sweetness on the nose.

The taste is hops and spice with a fairly short finish for a comparatively complex taste.

Fairly light body with no dryness, but not really present.

Good, but not great, it's excellent for making beer batter and I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered me one, but I'm not going to buying it again.

01-11-2014 19:50:03 | More by mnredsoxfan69
bigfnjoe

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a hazy shade of yellow with a two finger white head. Not hazy enough to be considered true to form for the style...just looks sloppy. Bleh

S- smells very "clean", with a decent bit of lemon coming through and little else

T- very light citrus, no bitterness at all...I mean, what the hell. I've had more flavorful shandies than this.

M- paper thin body, as you'd expect

O- BBC just isn't too great at making witbiers...they all taste the same, and thoroughly mediocre

02-02-2013 20:50:27 | More by bigfnjoe
RickS95

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle

Sam Adams continues to do little for me. If you're a Bud drinker, this is probably not a bad looking beer. It's not entirely clear, just mostly. It's got the basics of a milky golden color, but it's too clear and it's not milky/cloudy/hazy enough. The head is a couple finges thick and retains well. The pieces are there, they're just not well put together.

Kudos for a decent selection of spices. I can pick up the coriander and orange peel, but I'm missing the tangerine. Score would be higher if the scents were a bit more pronounced.

Again, the pieces are there, they just don't cooperate. Wheat and coriander, but that's it. Muted tastes.

A good wit pops. This lands with a thud. Like smell and taste, everything is too muted and subtle. Medium bodied. It's tangy-ish, but needs more. There's a splash of acidity, but needs more. It needs more of just about everything.

Run of the mill wit. Not quite good enough to be average, not even as good as Blue Moon. Skip this one.

05-24-2013 03:22:23 | More by RickS95
CraftBeerTastic

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Ba Review #255
Served On: 2/20/2013
Glassware: SA Perfect Pint
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: June

This was a 12oz bottle from the spring mixed 12 pack I picked up at Evergreen Liquors in Frederick, MD ($15.99).

Look: A pale yellow with some haze. Thin coating of a head. Looked like a watered down wheat beer.

Smell: Some grassy citrus and bready malts. Also some lemon peel. No real ‘Grains of paradise’ were detectable. Maybe some type of pepper.

Taste: This basically was a wheat ale with some artificial lemon flavoring added. That’s really about it. I think a Blue Moon of Shock Top may have had more going on with it. I will say it is very drinkable, but so are most wheat ales.

I don’t know that I would seek this one out. It’s basically the Summer Ale in a different bottle.

02-20-2013 16:48:07 | More by CraftBeerTastic
mfnmbvp

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz. bottle, the notch on the label says best by July 2013. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about a finger of head with basically no retention, a murky lemon peel like color.

S - Can definitely smell the tangerine and the coriander, but they are both faint against the wheat smell, and the aroma basically fades away within a few minutes. Typical witbier type smell.

T - Crisp tangerine and some wheat. The spices are somewhat prominent in the finish. Decent level of carbonation, pretty well balanced. I was kind of expecting it to taste exactly like the Samuel Adams White Christmas, but I was wrong, this beer is probably better and more flavorful.

M - Crisp, soda-pop type feel happening here, so probably a little over carbonated, but that is to be expected when drinking Samuel Adams beers, I'd say. Otherwise, a dry, vaguely spicy finish.

Overall, a decent beer. I got this as part of the sampler 12 pack, and while it isn't my favorite beer by Samuel Adams, this one isn't bad. Better than the Samuel Adams White Christmas in my opinion, but I would give them both another go if I had the chance.

Samuel Adams White Lantern ---3/5.

02-04-2013 00:16:11 | More by mfnmbvp
Groomsy

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle from Spring Thaw pack poured into a weizen glass. "Best by" date of June.

White Lantern, which I'm guessing is Coastal Wheat re-labeled and/or modified from the original recipe, has a nice hazy golden body. The head, two fingers of bright white foam, recedes quickly to a cap and leaves loose rings of lacing that fade quickly. A nice, hazy body is about all I found nice about this beer. Meh. Not the big pillowy head I expect from a wit.

Like many other wheat-based beers by Sam Adams, White Lantern is heavy on the spices and alternate ingredients. When I first pour it, I can't get past the overwhelming orange peel - it's almost like I'm smelling orange juice. Some peppery spices emerge just below and grow as the beer warms. I don't pick up much of a yeast presence in this one, though there is maybe some clove. Primarily, I get smells of citrus and coriander, as well as some various other spices and a dash of malted wheat sweetness. It's okay. I'm reminded of a slightly spicier Blue Moon. Not enough complexity here for me.

The taste is smooth in itself but doesn't capitalize on what it could be. I think that this beer doesn't hold up on its own underneath all the spices and orange peel, which are the two dominating flavors. There's a hint of wheat sweetness in the finish, but the spices and orange peel seem to dominate everything else. There's also this weird soapy flavor lingering in the background over all the palate - I don't know if this is intended or not, but it wasn't really that enjoyable. While refreshing and crisp, this beer doesn't have a good enough wit foundation to hold its own, I think.

White Lantern's mouthfeel is about its only redeeming quality. With a creamy, medium body and crisp carbonation, this beer is refreshing if nothing else. Its slightly dry and tart finish is perfect for the spring season and for quenching thirst.

This is by far the weakest of the Spring Thaw pack. If I want a good and familiar wit, I'll go after Hoeegaarden or even Blue Moon. To me, this beer just doesn't have a very strong foundation. Meh.

03-20-2013 00:03:05 | More by Groomsy
LambicPentameter

Kansas

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with no dating--at least not that I saw, of course it's entirely possible that I forgot to look. I know it's a Sam Adams 2013 winter release, so it's pretty much fresh. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy orange with notes of honey and highlights of spun gold. I'm a little bit dismayed at the lack of haze compared to what I'm typically accustomed to with the style. If I didn't know better, I could have mistaken it for just chill haze from the protein. Head is really not any more impressive, as I'm only able to generate a half-finger of wimpy foam even with a fairly aggressive pour. The only positive is that what little head there is manages to stick around for quite awhile, but leaves basically zero lacing. Not off to a good start.

Smell - Unfortunately, the smell is not where this as yet unimpressive beer is going to get its second wind, so to speak. The lifelessness of the appearance has carried through to the smell, with notes of faint wheat and grain, as well as a surprisingly subdued spice note that I can identify as coriander if I try really hard. If I wasn't expecting/looking for the coriander, I doubt that I would've found it. I get none of the orange peel or tangerine except by way of a very generic fruity undertone that isn't recognizable as any specific aroma profiles.

Taste - The easiest way to sum it up is that it tasted like they took the Boston Lager recipe, replaced the caramel malt with wheat and pils malts, then added coriander. That's what this beer says to me--outside of the coriander spice (which is admittedly more pronounced here than in the aroma), there is nothing that really screams "WITBIER" to me in this offering from Sam Adams.

Mouthfeel - Lighter bodied and more crisp than any other wit I've had to date, perhaps from the use of the pils malt? Those characteristics aren't inherently bad, but they don't really meet what I consider to be the standard for the style. Maybe it's a "starter" wit? I dunno. Low carbonation as well.

Overall, this is the third wit I've sampled from Sam Adams, and unfortunately, they've produced two of the least favorite wits I've ever had, this being one of them. Interestingly enough, the two I haven't cared for made me feel that way by missing the wit style on opposite ends of the spectrum. One was over-saturated and hot while this one was bland and boring. This one might be a good place to start for someone who is wanting to ease into the style, and likes lighter, crisper lagers and ales, but for someone wanting genuine witbier taste, this is not the way to go.

12-10-2013 21:27:36 | More by LambicPentameter
donkeyrunner

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Hazy gold. Bib bubble jumble white head is all bluster and quickly fizzles away. A wheat beer should never be without at least some foam at any point. Certainly no within the first few sips.

Smells like sharp sawdust and lemon zest.

Started out orange citrus with a wheaty twang but then devolved into Nestea lemon iced tea.

Eh. It's been too long for me to remember, is this any different than the old SA spring wheat. Spritzier maybe? SA sure does love those Grains of Paradise.

04-06-2013 12:04:39 | More by donkeyrunner
Murrhey

Montana

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Paired with pretzels. Reviewed live.

A- One-finger white foamy head. Mediocre retention. Slight foamy lacing. Cloudy orange color with low clarity. Relatively attractive beer.

S- Orange pledge, wheat and brewing spices. Like a normal witbier but the citrus is stronger, almost like cleaning supplies. Meh.

T- Wheat. Orange and spices. Spicy and tart. Nothing a Blue Moon couldn't do.

M- Light and carbonation weak. Not terrible.

O- Could be better, but highly drinkable.

02-07-2013 02:56:46 | More by Murrhey
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

2.99/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a slightly hazy medium apple juice with a smallish white head that quickly dissipates to wisps of foam on top. The aroma is heavy on the orange and a bit spicy with coriander and a hint of fruity spicy wheat. The flavor is malty orange with a spicy edge. Its a bit sweet with light sugar and fruity malt and a bit of spice. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Decent beer, I could drink it, but I'm not sure I would want to it just not my thing.

01-30-2013 23:16:55 | More by johnnnniee

Louisiana

06-25-2014 01:17:07 | More by JamesStreet
dertyd

02-04-2013 07:56:41 | More by dertyd
Samuel Adams White Lantern from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)