Samuel Adams White Lantern - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White LanternSamuel Adams White Lantern

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Ford on 12-28-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Lantern Alström Bros

mfigueroa713, Mar 22, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yet another beer that I picked up via the single bottle from Total Wine. I never had this before and given the recent run of improved offerings from Sam Adams that I had lately, I was hoping that this would continue the trend. It turned out to be extremely light in body and taste and given that the White Christmas beer was also available recently, I didn't see the point of another Witbier being on the shelf. There's so much lacking in this that only a die-hard of the style should even think of giving one of these a go.

Everything about this beer was light - the pour, appearance, mouthfeel, and taste. The hue was golden, cloudy, and there was a lot of head to this. It almost reminded me of champagne since the bubbles took a while to subside and the carbonation was so present as well. The flavors here weren't that memorable - pizza dough and soda with just a hint of wheat underneath everything to give this beer a hint of body. No need for an orange to cut through this, as the citrus wouldn't pick up anything in the beer and the acid would have gotten scrubbed away quickly by the effervescence of this beer.

I think that this was so light that it was able to completely hid the alcohol, as this didn't feel like beer at all. I'm sure it was there but I just never felt it and I could have had a few of these in a session, had my taste buds been watered-down a bit. This beer wasn't so much a disappointment as much as it just didn't feel like beer. This should have come with a cork on the bottle or "Brut" written on the side of it but I'll take it for what it is - the first new offering from Sam Adams in a while that just didn't measure up.

JerzDevl2000, Mar 22, 2013

Hardcore, Mar 22, 2013

jonathaniler, Mar 21, 2013

TwoForty, Mar 21, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

This is definitely a Belgian wit. Compared to some others this version from SA is real heavy on the orange-especially the peel. Spicy-lots of coriander. Plenty of malt body but it is overshadowed by the heavy dose of orange peel and coriander. Carbonation is appropriately medium/high. An ok wit-would prefer it a little more naked.

deebo, Mar 20, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle from Spring Thaw pack poured into a weizen glass. "Best by" date of June.

White Lantern, which I'm guessing is Coastal Wheat re-labeled and/or modified from the original recipe, has a nice hazy golden body. The head, two fingers of bright white foam, recedes quickly to a cap and leaves loose rings of lacing that fade quickly. A nice, hazy body is about all I found nice about this beer. Meh. Not the big pillowy head I expect from a wit.

Like many other wheat-based beers by Sam Adams, White Lantern is heavy on the spices and alternate ingredients. When I first pour it, I can't get past the overwhelming orange peel - it's almost like I'm smelling orange juice. Some peppery spices emerge just below and grow as the beer warms. I don't pick up much of a yeast presence in this one, though there is maybe some clove. Primarily, I get smells of citrus and coriander, as well as some various other spices and a dash of malted wheat sweetness. It's okay. I'm reminded of a slightly spicier Blue Moon. Not enough complexity here for me.

The taste is smooth in itself but doesn't capitalize on what it could be. I think that this beer doesn't hold up on its own underneath all the spices and orange peel, which are the two dominating flavors. There's a hint of wheat sweetness in the finish, but the spices and orange peel seem to dominate everything else. There's also this weird soapy flavor lingering in the background over all the palate - I don't know if this is intended or not, but it wasn't really that enjoyable. While refreshing and crisp, this beer doesn't have a good enough wit foundation to hold its own, I think.

White Lantern's mouthfeel is about its only redeeming quality. With a creamy, medium body and crisp carbonation, this beer is refreshing if nothing else. Its slightly dry and tart finish is perfect for the spring season and for quenching thirst.

This is by far the weakest of the Spring Thaw pack. If I want a good and familiar wit, I'll go after Hoeegaarden or even Blue Moon. To me, this beer just doesn't have a very strong foundation. Meh.

Groomsy, Mar 20, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

woodchipper, Mar 19, 2013

DrunkinYogi, Mar 19, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Chucker17, Mar 19, 2013

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The pour was a hazy golden orange with a large (2-3 finger) white rocky head that receded slowly, down to a medium cap which lasted throughout and produced fair spotty lacing.

The aroma was of a grain malt, light floral hops and a moldy yeast with notes of citrus (orange peel and tangerine), banana and coriander.

The taste was lightly sweet and rather yeasty with a touch of tangerine from the beginning, becoming a tad spicy with a hint of banana and a mild citrus peel bitterness towards the finish. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow, with a spicy yeast taste fading quickly off the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a somewhat mild carbonation.

Overall this brew was OK in taste and drinkability, but nothing overly special...

KajII, Mar 19, 2013

Gagnonsux, Mar 19, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Best by June 2013.

Slight haze. Deep golden body. Small, somewhat fizzy, off-white head. Nose is heavy on the spice rack. Grains of paradise, coriander, allspice, orange peel, and maybe cloves. Wheaty, yeasty malt underneath it all.

Spices and wheaty nuttiness up front. Grains of paradise and coriander are plenty strong here. Grainy wheat malt partners up with banana mid-palate. Citrus peel (orange mostly) zests up the finish. Lingering spice and banana-ish malt. Medium bodied, with a nice creamy feel. A bit of a spice bomb, but a nicely-made one at that.

alexgash, Mar 19, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well, much better than their White Christmas. Hazy straw with a white head that dies quickly. Notes of tangerine and orange on the nose. Taste of tangerines as well with a slightly sweet finish. Both creamy on the front of the tongue and a bit sharp on the back of the neck. Still a strain to consider this in league with Vedett and Hoegaarten, but a tasty beer if you like something sweet.

ggourde, Mar 19, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

menacho1, Mar 18, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

probably the least impressive beer in this years spring mix. weirdly familiar though, has this been in here before? maybe under another name. I don't know. anyways, it pours a pale hazy shade of yellow, with a quickly dying white head. the nose is overly coriander and orange juice, with a lot of malted white wheat. I was hoping for a bit more of a Belgian yeast vibe in the flavor, but it really isn't there, as this is closer to a german hefe than a Belgian wit in a number of ways. the orange element is also pretty weak, and its too herbal from the coriander. it is refreshing, but its also a little soapy. fine carbonation and a less than medium body makes it pretty drinkable, but I just don't feel like drinking more than the two per 12er that comes in this box. its really underwhelming, especially after sam has made some pretty fun wits over the years. this is one to pawn off on your guests.

StonedTrippin, Mar 18, 2013

LightsOut3000, Mar 17, 2013

jmgault1, Mar 17, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden amber color with an off-white head with great retention and lacing.

S- The sweet and slightly floral aroma is wheat, a lot of citrus and orange peel, a touch of honey, and coriander.

T- The taste like the aroma is sweet citrus up front with a touch of hops and yeast in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, White Lantern is a pretty decent Witbier but probably not something I would purchase again in the future.

cjgator3, Mar 17, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +22.4%

Another score from my recent visit to Highland Pizzeria. I promise to write a Place review once they finish their renovation sometime in late-Spring/early-Summer. In the meantime, they are worth at least a visit.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style white ales have a long history of unique ingredients as brewers experimented with spices discovered during the spice trade. For our hazy brew, we found a refreshing combination of crisp wheat, the tangy sweetness of tangerine & orange peel, and the subtle spiciness of coriander & Grains of Paradise. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

I dislike the possibility that I might have left anything in the bottom of the bottle with such styles, so I am a king of agitation. In this case, it resulted in a dense, fluffy finger of bone-white head with great retention that allowed me to ensure that I had emptied the bottle. Clarity was indeed hazy, not cloudy, so I give them props for truth in advertising and the color was an orangish-yellow. Nose really gave off orange (peel) and tangerine and I was anxious to compare this to the previous beer that I reviewed of the same style. Mouthfeel was big and full, not overly carbonated, but more creamy. In fact, the taste reminded me of a Dreamsicle/ Creamsicle, which was the frozen novelty that consisted of a vanilla ice cream center enrobed by orange sherbert. I used to love them as a kid in the summertime. Ah, nostalgia while drinking beer. There is nothing better. I finally got the spiciness on the finish, but they really dialed it in to the point that it did not interfere with the orange. I have had wits that tasted and felt as though I had sprinkled black pepper on my tongue and it is not a pleasant experience. Neither is its polar opposite, in which the brewer cannot pull the trigger and it ends a bland, watery mess. This was good.

woodychandler, Mar 16, 2013

bscalt, Mar 16, 2013

CountryRock2001, Mar 16, 2013
Samuel Adams White Lantern from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)