Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013)Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013)

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 02-02-2013)

Lifsabch, Mar 08, 2013

MaddDogg84, Aug 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +28%

emwild12, Aug 09, 2013
4.71/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this bottle during my recent foray to Mari's 6-Pac 'n' Mor in Reading and I have been waiting for a cold to kick to better sense this new strain of hops. I felt quite fortunate last year to get the Latitude 48 series in total and I am anxious to see what this newest addition is like.

From the bottle: "Our 2013 release features Mosaic (TM) hops, a new hop from the Pacific Northwest. They add a burst of citrus notes to the distinctive layers of German, English and other American hops, all from growing regions near the 'hop belt' of the 48th Latitude. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

I went with another aggro pour as I really wanted to get the scent of hops going in my kitchen. Guess what? It worked! It smelled like pine resin and my mouth instantly began to water. Gimme dem hops, man! The color was a deep-copper like an old girlfriend's hair and the clarity was beyond NE-quality. I could see what the Fates were about to weave into my future and it looked like beer. I could also see loads of tight, tiny bubbles of carbonation and I began to long for my SA glasses that broke in a recent kitchen cleaning mishap. As the finger of light-tan foam began to fall, it was already leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Mouthfeel was soft, not at all abrasive as some IPAs can be, and the burst of flavors on the tongue was phenomenal! Pine, grapefruit, someone mentioned blueberry and I got that kind of light tartness. Wow. Finish was like deodorant - arid, and extra dry. Man, I caught the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara in my throat and all I could think to do was to take another sip, exacerbating the "problem". Ha! Yeah, some problem, all right. The blueberry flavor really began to take hold on the extreme finish. This is an AIPA for hopheads. All malt buffs need not apply.

woodychandler, Apr 24, 2013
4.66/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites, this beer is a good reliable beer, for when I am feeling down.

A-Nice dark amber color
S-Smells like heaven, hoppy, pine, citrus
T-Takes incredible, great balance between bitter and sweetness.
M-Full yet light, nice head that doesn't overcrowd the beer
O-What an IPA should be.

jleidner, Jun 21, 2014

Molson2000, Mar 20, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The new formulation of Latitude 48 IPA with new Mosaic hops is described by the blurb on my Fall sampler package as being more citrusy, and it's true. Poured from the bottle with a January freshness date into my favorite pint glass, this is much like the Latitude 48 that I remember, a light copper-gold with two fingers of thinnish-foamy head, very good retention for SA (~15 minutes and I still have a finger of head) and decent lacing. Moderate carbonation bubbles rise lazily to the surface. Looking good so-far.

Smell is floral, citrusy and slightly earthy hops on the front of the nose, sweet malty bread on the back of the throat. Very moderate and not overpowering. Taste is again hops at the front, and there's a more citrusy note than the old Latitude 48, which had more tannin and pine quality. This makes for a much more refreshing beer. The tannin/pine flavors are still present but more subdued, and the sweet bready taste of the beer more readily filters through. Mouthfeel is light and crisp; this is definitely a summer beer, which makes me wonder why SA wanted to include it in the Fall release, but whatever, it still tastes good.

This is a small but substantial improvement over the old formulation of the Latitude 48, which makes for an overall lighter, crisper flavor that goes well when you need an easy-to-drink beer that strikes a good balance between bready flavors and hops. This also makes a good primer for hoppy IPAs and would be a good introduction to the style for beer newbies. I'm giving this a relatively high score; I could drink this all day.

To good health and good beer.

Caj1, Sep 01, 2013
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)