Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013)Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013)

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 02-02-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 352 | Reviews: 79

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

4.72/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this bottle during my recent foray to Mari's 6-Pac 'n' Mor in Reading and I have been waiting for a cold to kick to better sense this new strain of hops. I felt quite fortunate last year to get the Latitude 48 series in total and I am anxious to see what this newest addition is like.

From the bottle: "Our 2013 release features Mosaic (TM) hops, a new hop from the Pacific Northwest. They add a burst of citrus notes to the distinctive layers of German, English and other American hops, all from growing regions near the 'hop belt' of the 48th Latitude. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

I went with another aggro pour as I really wanted to get the scent of hops going in my kitchen. Guess what? It worked! It smelled like pine resin and my mouth instantly began to water. Gimme dem hops, man! The color was a deep-copper like an old girlfriend's hair and the clarity was beyond NE-quality. I could see what the Fates were about to weave into my future and it looked like beer. I could also see loads of tight, tiny bubbles of carbonation and I began to long for my SA glasses that broke in a recent kitchen cleaning mishap. As the finger of light-tan foam began to fall, it was already leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Mouthfeel was soft, not at all abrasive as some IPAs can be, and the burst of flavors on the tongue was phenomenal! Pine, grapefruit, someone mentioned blueberry and I got that kind of light tartness. Wow. Finish was like deodorant - arid, and extra dry. Man, I caught the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara in my throat and all I could think to do was to take another sip, exacerbating the "problem". Ha! Yeah, some problem, all right. The blueberry flavor really began to take hold on the extreme finish. This is an AIPA for hopheads. All malt buffs need not apply.

4.65/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites, this beer is a good reliable beer, for when I am feeling down.

A-Nice dark amber color
S-Smells like heaven, hoppy, pine, citrus
T-Takes incredible, great balance between bitter and sweetness.
M-Full yet light, nice head that doesn't overcrowd the beer
O-What an IPA should be.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to my brother tenderbranson69 for sharing this with me,enjoyed chilled from a 1/2 pint froma 12 oz brown bottle.

The color is a familiar medium amber with very good clarity and thin cream of light beige with small bead and good retention. The smell is very pleasant with some grapefruit and herbal notes and mild sweet piney elements with light malt ester. The feel is good with mostly bitter texture but has nice resinous oily almost creamy body with a nice malt foundation allowing the bitterness to be cushioned somewhat. Moderately carbonated with semi-dry finish.

The taste is very hop influenced with some mild tangerine notes and slight simcoe-like herbal earthy tinges with some mild herbal and tangy hop flavor with yeast gently supporting the mild caramel tinge from the malt. Overall I loved the taste and it was gone too quickly. I would look for this if you are at all appreciative of Latitude 48 in the original formula because this is a lot better IMO.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Mosaic (2013) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)