LongShot Magnificent Seven - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Magnificent SevenLongShot Magnificent Seven

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 03-30-2013)

NonicPanic, Dec 02, 2013

GrindFatherBob, Jun 13, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

soonerlight, Sep 02, 2013
2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

I guess I'm a little late to this one. It says drink by September. I'm in the month, but...
Anyway, it has a funky aroma (and not in a good Belgian way). It's more of excess hop and one of the aroma's and tastes I don't like about DIPA's, and this one has it big. It dominates the aroma. It's nearly pushing to decay.
Color is darker and redder than most, and pretty darn clear. Nice tan head that is thick.
Fortunately the taste is not dominated the same way the aroma is. It is much more pleasant and tasty. Bitter without excess or tongue ripping. Hop flavors are a little hard to define, rather muddled but not quite messy. Hints of a solid malt with a bit of sweetness. Also shots of excess with hop (hop oils I think), but they are shots and not dominating, as in the aroma...still a feature I'm not fond of.
Body is solid moderate and a little higher than typical for carbonation.
Overall, just rather okay. I wouldn't serve this as a good example of style, but I can work my way through the drink once it gets past the nose.

garymuchow, Sep 26, 2013

Tjvan2, Apr 07, 2013

Wrex68, Sep 03, 2013

malfunxion, Aug 19, 2014

drabmuh, May 13, 2013

oldsalty, Jun 13, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a dark caramel color, translucent, with a tan head of two fingers. Plenty lacings. Aroma was piny, caramel, toffee, biscuits and some grapefruit. Plenty toffee and caramel, sweet malts, medium bitterness, citrus. Full bodied, creamy, oily, somewhat chewy.

Overall, its ok. More malty and the alcohol isn't completely hidden, drinkability is average.

EgadBananas, Jun 25, 2013

BeerLover99, Jan 10, 2014

wagenvolks, Aug 07, 2013

mattparsons, Apr 20, 2013
3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

This winter seasonal imperial/double IPA is 234 calories per bottle and 7.8% ABV. Advertised as "Magnificent Seven" referring to a combination of seven different hops. It also advertises a big grapefruit , pine and resinous notes. My personal opinion: I could sense the strong smell of pine needles after opening the bottle. I can taste the grapefruit very well but the strong/bitter taste of the typical IPA is complimented by a stronger pine aftertaste. This settled fairly well for an IPA. The bitter bitter bitter taste is still apparent but somewhat manageable compared to the standard IPA - the grapefruit and pine help make this one not as bad. Not an IPA fan so I would not recommended this buy on my list.

json83, Jul 21, 2013
3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber with a twofinger off-white head. Leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smell: Strong on the pine hops, with just a touch of grapefruit and some floral qualities. Definite malt presence as well, with fairly strong caramel and toasted biscuit notes. Solid.

Taste: Quite hop-forward, but once again with a noticeable malt presence. The hop profile tastes different than it smelled - very herbal, earthy, and dank with some pine. Malt flavor comes through with more toasted biscuit. I have to admit this isn't really my cup 'o tea as far as hop profiles go - I'm all for intense citrusy characteristics, not really digging the herbal notes much.

Mouthfeel: Probably the biggest strength of the beer as far as a I'm concerned. Very smooth initially with a good bite of carbonation as you swallow that really brings out the hops. Medium bodied.

Overall: If you like herbal hops, this is the beer for you. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. Still certainly not a bad beer, it just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

emyers, Aug 05, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Magnificent Seven from the this years LongShot Series last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I really liked last years LongShot six pack, so i'm interested in checking out this years winners, so lets see how it goes. It was notched best by September. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's the typical LongShot Label with a drawing of the winner with their name on it. It poured a dark ruby color that took on a dark copper color when held to the light with three fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, the head and lacing were really nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malty, bready, grainy and caramel malts like aromas with a real slight toasted aroma in the background. Next comes a slight citrus hop aroma, but it's the piney and floral hops that seem to stick out the most. The aroma is decent, but it's nothing special for the style, it's just ok.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a very malty, bready and grainy flavor with some caramel malt like flavors in the background. Next comes the hops which are mainly floral and citrus with only a slight bit of piney hops showing up. On the finish there's a high amount of bitterness that seems to be a little overwhelming and it's followed by an earthy, floral and malty aftertaste. The taste was decent but I thought it was a little too malt forward and the bitterness was a little out of hand.

M- Not that smooth, sticky, rich, on the medium side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it wasn't smooth at all and not very drinkable.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style and for sure not a noteworthy one, it was also pretty unbalanced. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, it wasn't smooth, it was a little filling, and the flavors didn't hold my attention, one is more than enough for me, there's no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a good looking beer and it looked fairly true to style, I liked it. What I liked the least about this beer was the drinkability, I would say it's one of the least drinkable DIPA's I have had yet, I had no urge to drink another one. I wouldn't buy this beer again, especially on it's own, there's lots of better DIPA's out there so I wouldn't recommend this one. All in all I wasn't into this beer, it just wasn't my type of DIPA and I didn't really enjoy it, I find it a little hard to believe that this is one of the top beers that was entered. I hope the other ones are better since this one wasn't a great start to this years LongShot series.

StoutHunter, May 12, 2013
LongShot Magnificent Seven from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)