Samuel Adams Honey Queen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey QueenSamuel Adams Honey Queen

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Braggot |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 04-28-2013

Braggot--ale brewed with honey, chamomile & natural flavors
to view more.
Ratings: 242 | Reviews: 52
Reviews by confer:
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; medium gold in color; almost no head; no lacing;

S: pilsner malt, honey sweetness, a little floral;

T: light bready malt up front; chamomile is noticeable at mid-palate; honey sweetness really comes through at the finish;

M: medium bodied - a little syrupy; lightly carbonated; lightly dry finish;

O: a little skewed toward the sweet end of the braggot spectrum

3.57/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: 1 inch head, high carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell:citrus hops and honey

Taste: rich honey, toasted malt, and florals

Mouthfeel: medium body, really sweet with slight bitterness at the end, high carbonation

Overall: An above average beer that has nice and deep layers of honey. However, if you do not like honey, this beer offers little else. I would pick this up again, but there are others in the small batch series that I prefer.

3.31/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Golden amber with a thick white head. A lot of carbonation and thick lacing.

Smell: Light floral scent with wheat, hops, and honey.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of bitter hops and sweet honey. Some floral notes.

Overall: Good brew and I respect it, but this one is just not for me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich golden in color with excellent clarity. A half inch thick rocky white head rests on top. Aroma of chamomile and sweet honey. The flavor is of floral chamomile and dry,yet gently sweet honey. The mouthfeel is dry and there's a warming sensation in the mouth. There's more honey in the fade,but the sweetness is strained.

4.09/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a Bomber into a pint glass. Bought in Smyrna, GA.
Has a nice sweet aroma with a floral backdrop. The beer is a pale yellow color with a pretty big white head. It has a nice honey flavor that stays throughout the whole beer. this is a medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. A real good Braggot style beer.

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours an effervescent gold with one finger of pearl white head. Nice viscosity, minimal lacing & head retention

S: Honey crisp apples & white grapes, pears & floral notes. These kind of trail off as this warms

T: Pears, honey, white grapes & dryness up front, faint herbal/medicinal notes. More honey & white grapes, faint herbal bitterness as this warms. Finishes dry, sweet & with white wine characteristics, to include a little woodyness

MF: Medium bodied, fairly firm carbonation

Drinkable enough, but was looking for more depth of flavor; worth a try, but not one I would buy again. Props to Sammy for trying this venerable old style on a large scale, maybe only the second or 3rd of this style I remember trying

3.08/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Way too sweet with an artificial honey flavor. No discernible balancing hop presence whatsoever. I could maybe sip on a 4 oz. pour after dinner, but honestly I don't see myself ever drinking this again.

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Adams Honey Queen brewed by Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams). This brew has a ABV of 7.50% Before we get to the review this is my first Braggot brew. The brew pours out a cloudy amber color with nice white head. I'm going to say this brew is unfiltered. The smell is rich with sweetness and grains. There is a hit of spices in the smell of this brew. The taste is sweet like honey. There is also some grains and malts at the end. Honey Queen goes down smooth with no bad after taste. This brew has a nice balance to it ,there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Samuel Adams did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again, it was better than what I was expecting. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice deep gold with a frosty and yogurty white head that lasts a long time. Smell is clean and fresh. Nice clean floral and sweet beer with a nice honey sweetness at the finish. I did not think I was going to enjoy this but was very pleasantly surprised. A very good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

Medium yellow clear with full light bubbly head that fades, but maintains a good rim. Carbonation bubbles viewed throughout the beer.
Clean slightly sweet honey with some earthy undertones.
Sweet honey flavor, but not overpowering with a slight lemon tea like flavor to it, and no real alcohol taste.
Nice carbonated light feeling with the full taste makes this quite enjoyable if you're looking for a honey beer.

3.96/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Samuel Adams' honey Queen, braggot, from their Small Batch collection. 7.5% ABV.

A: A solid two fingers of active, fluffy head. Orange honey colored. Clear in the dimple. Some thin lacing. Faint sheeting.

S: Bee pollen (unexpected) and some sort of spice. Clove, maybe. Dry honey/mead note in the back. Dried floral note. Honeycomb and bee's wax. Not getting much in the way of beer notes.

T/MF: Mmm. Nice notes of floral honey, citrus, and malty sweetness over some golden ale flavors. A bit of a cooling sensation on the finish. Not overly fancy, but nicely refreshing.

Sam Adams has been doing good things with their Barrel Room and Small Batch beers. Actually, I'd say this is the best braggot I've had yet.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Samuel Adams Honey Queen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams). Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a 2 finger thick white fizzy head, spotty lacing, and a pale yellow near-IPA body. Interesting......

I can smell a general earthiness along with the chamomile, and a decent amount of clover honey. Nothing overpowering, but nice,mellow, and inviting.

Tastes like a perfectly sweet clover honey along with a dash of the aforementioned chamomile. Nothing artificial tasting or hinting towards cheap fructose junk. Goes down smooth and nothing is lingering in my mouth. Also can't notice the higher abv.

The mouthfeel of Honey Queen is medium bodied with a small effervescence.

Overall a 4.5 for Samuel Adams Honey Queen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams). I, like many BA's, had been curious and anxious to try this style of brew(braggot). This is certainly one of the most unique beers I've consumed in my experiences. I'll probably grab this brew again.

4.71/5  rDev +31.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a Solemn Oath tulip.
7.5% ABV

A - Despite the menacing stare from the Honey Queen herself, this beer looks bright and inviting; Its faintly hazy golden color capped by a tall white head, stirred up by carbonation.

S - Decadent honey aromatics waft from Honey Queen with passion, filling the nostrils with a buzz of spicy clover honey and sweet orange blossom honey before chamomile tea fragrance enters. Sweet malt generates a bready undertone but this beer reminds me far more of a sparkling mead than a beer, which isn't at all a bad thing.

T - Soft and sweet malt coats the tongue with spectacular grace, simply falling away to let the honey flavors swarm the palate with a frenzy of deep spicy and floral fragrance. Exceptional balance of sweetness and spice notes on the finish keep the beer from becoming cloying.

M - Creamy and smooth, Honey Queen has an assertive flavor while remaining delicate, just like the mouthfeel, where the soft entry leads to a semi-sweet finish that's wonderfully balanced and, once again, exceptionally smooth.

O - Honey Queen provides a deep honeycomb labyrinth of flavor, transfixed on the characteristics of the honey added, more so than any other beer brewed with honey I've ever encountered. Almost mead-like, this higher alcohol brew (though its strength isn't even hinted at) is incredibly smooth with floral, spice, and orange citrus complexities tying the whole brew together in one exceptional drinking experience!

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Upon my first few sips, I was all like, oooh honey, this is one tasty beer. However, 10 minutes later into my beer, the initial great impression was lost. The flavor and mouth feel became too yeasty and cloying.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours a medium golden (honey?) amber with a one finger white head with good retention and thick lacing. Aroma of mead, floral and herbal spicing; mildly tea-like and vinous. Flavor starts with quite sweet floral and apple juice but dries out a bit to exhibit mead-like character, finishing estery and sweet with floral notes and at last, a lingering light honey taste that is mild enough to be quite pleasant. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A style with few European examples to compare and possibly few historically accurate ones in any case. I've had only one Danish braggot and a domestic one made with prickly pear, so I can only guess to compare this in style. It is certainly what I would expect from a honey beer, sweet and floral. It is much sweeter than most mead, but I did enjoy the pure honey flavor in the finish, which is usually lost in mead. Good floral notes, but it seemed to skate on the edge of cloying sweetness. Also slightly tame, like many Boston Beer offerings. An enjoyable honey, fruit and floral ale that left me wishing I could go back a few centuries to taste the real thing. Not a bad interpretation of a rare style.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

appearance: Crystal clear light gold. Messy swath of white head and lacing. Pretty brew.
smell: Floral notes, light honey, a bit of spice.
taste: a little sweetness, and honey.
overall: Nice enough, a little bit of a lightweight.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adam's Honey Queen a couple weeks ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I've had a Braggot and since I don't see them often I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice and it goes good with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly clear bright yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I don't have any complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a honey like aroma to it and it's followed by the honey being the first to show up and there's a nice mixture of fruity and floral honey like aromas with the floral aromas sticking out the most and the fruity aspect is a little honey dew melon like. After that came a light grainy malt aroma with just a slight bit of doughy yeast and towards the end comes a noticeable Chamomile aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, I like the mixture of fruity and floral aromas, but I could have gone without the Chamomile.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness and it's followed by the by the malts being the first to show up and it imparts a light grainy and slightly toasted malt like flavors that quickly give way to the honey that imparts those same fruity and floral aspects and this time there's some white grape flavors to go with the honey dew melon. Up next comes a light creamy flavor and it gives way to the chamomile which shows up a little too much like it did in the aroma. On the finish it's a little perfume like with pretty much no bitterness at all and it had lots of floral and fruity honey flavors in the aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wasn't a fan of the chamomile and wish the beer base was bolder so it could stand up a little more to the honey which I thought pretty much dominated this beer.

M- Fairly smooth, not too cloying, a little creamy, not too crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a decent example of a Braggot, it had some nice aspects and I liked the different flavors that honey imparted especially the honey dew and white grape flavors, but I thought the honey pretty much took over and along with the chamomile it made it hard to pick up any flavors that the base beer imparted. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too cloying, a little creamy, not too crisp, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think the chamomile would start to wear on me after one glass, so I think that would be my limit, but I think it makes for a decent summertime beer. What I like the most about this beer was the fruity and floral flavors and aromas that the honey imparted, they were nice and little unique. What I liked the least about this beer was the chamomile, I don't think it really added anything thing to this beer and I think it held this beer back from being as good as it could be and I also I wish it just had better balance and that the beer base was more noticeable. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but it isn't something that I could see myself getting again and I might recommend it if you really like braggots, but I don't think the average Craft beer drinker would really dig it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but I think it was a little rough around the edges and it could use a little work and some balancing out. This isn't my favorite Braggot or my favorite beer from Samuel Adams. It's nice to see Sam Adams tackle a style like this and I'm glad they tried it, but I think with a little work it could be a much better beer. I appreciate the effort but i think this one needs a little work, better luck next time guys.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a snifter. I was quite happy to see this. This is a great style if done right, but no one does it let alone right.

4.0 A: Mildly hazed yellow orange color. About one finger of fluffy white head. Retention is decent, not really sure what the style is supposed to do though. Plenty of lacing.

3.25 S: Damn, I don't think this is going to be what I wish it is. Yes, there's a good bit of honey, but it isn't the insanely potent honey that I experienced in some of the best braggots I've come across. Somehow the chamomile is even more potent than the honey. Wildflowers and hay earthiness.

3.25 T: Again honey and chamomile lead the flavor. There's plenty of chamomile, but not enough honey for me. Again, hay and earthiness. Moderately sweet malt base.

3.75 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation with a pleasant spritziness. Super smooth. Good here.

3.5 D: It's not bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the best that I've had. Admittedly, the vast majority of the better braggots I've had have been homebrew. In any case, I'm glad that breweries are at least trying.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Slightly hazy, medium golden color, with a somewhat coarse, white head, which retains well. The lacing leaves tidemarks on the glass walls. Sparse, faint carbonation drifts lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Notes of honey and mandarin oranges dominate the aroma. There is also a mild herbal hop presence. There is an earthy quality, as well, perhaps from the yeast.

Taste: Opens with a surge of honey, very pronounced, perhaps over-the-top. As the taste progresses, there is a mild maltiness as well. There is also a subtle note of oranges, perhaps from the honey as well. The high ABV (7.5%) is utterly concealed, with only a hint of warming to signal its presence. Absent the carbonation, this would seem more like a mead, but historically, that's how it would have been.Though I am not a connoisseur of honey, I can discern that the honey used for this braggot must have been a mild, light honey, like clover. The notes of orange from Orange Blossom honey are also notable. Towards the end of the taste, there is a faint hop presence. The finish is dominated by mild honey notes, pure, and quite lingering.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A wonderful example of a now-rare style, I feel fortunate to have been able to try it.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom 22 ounce brown glass bomber, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.91/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- it's a clear golden brew with a fluffy white head. Decent head retention, excellent lacing while the head lasts.

S- a whole lot of honey. The orange blossom is most prominent, but the clover is there as well. The camomile comes out with its soothing floral aromatics as it warms up a little. I'm not getting a lot of grain here.

T- slightly tart, still a lot of honey though. Seriously, a lot of honey. I get some grain in the mid palate for a fleeting moment. Also, a surprising amount of alcohol on the back end.

M- Really rich, but light at the same time. Light carbonation. Refreshing.

O- I love honey, so I love this beer. It is a little strange though.

Color- clear wheat gold. Full head.

Aroma- gentle honeysuckle and marmalade.

Taste- Starts with an overly sweet mead honey intensity then calms down and settles into a semi-dry with a lingering honey extract note. I've had meads that are less sweet. Sammy needs to use a champagne yeast to dry this out.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 5/5/13.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a nice bright golden copper with a thick white head the subsided to lacy sticky strands.

Smells like sprite. Oddly sweet with lemon lime.

Tastes sweet and rich with a golden honey taste. Floral cherry blossoms with an odd warm cinnamon nutmeg finish. Slight tanginess.

Mouthfeel is okay. Finishes with a mouth coating oily feeling despite a meager attempt at a crisp finish. Needs a bit more bittering to hammer it home.

Weird beer. A bit too sweet with some fascinating flavors. It seemed like an okay concept, but I needed a bit more on the finish to really hammer it home.

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%

This is the first of the style so I have nothing to compare it to. I liked honey a lot so I was really looking forward to this one. The story on how the beer style created also intrigued me. The first thing that stood out to me was the aftertaste, which reminded me of tart tasting mixture. This beer had some caramel i believe, but the citric and honey overpower the smell of it. I enjoyed the beer, but it was not one i would try again. I do want to try more of the style.

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a glass mug

Nice thick white head with good lacings. Golden yellow, clear liquid.

Aroma of grassy hops , malt and honey

Sweetness of honey but not overpowering. Light to light medium mouthfeel.

Different style of beer. Good as a dessert beer. Nice and worth repeating.

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale straw color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Clover honey nose and flavor is clover honey, hops in the background. Clean finish. $7.25 for a 22oz bottle from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH.

to view more.
Samuel Adams Honey Queen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)