Samuel Adams Rebel IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

HOP VARIETIES American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
CAL/SERVING 198 per 12oz serving
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A
Reviews: 416 | Hads: 3,650

Eating this among other IPAs namely Sierra nevada and founders, the price is right bought it at my convenience store. Easy drinking and good quality. Beer that got me to love beer. Then I bought Sierra Nevada and founders. Good stuff (233 characters)

Wow. Sam Adams did an incredible job here copying the hop profile of the popular Stone/Green Flas/San Diego IPA.

Seems to be a bit less bitter than others of this style , but the bottle I got must be fresh and is full of hoppiness.

Will get this again. Great, especially for the price. (288 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +37.7%

Samuel Adams is not one of my favourite brewers by any means. I have enjoyed their White Ale and Cherry in the past, but this beer caught my eye at a Chevron gas station in the Magnolia/Plantersville Texas forest area last week. This was an unusual gas station as it was in the middle of nowhere and had an incredible selection of beer.
I usually go thru all the points of review and make note but I drank this straight from the bottle because I was at my parent's house and my dad would have a heart attack if I poured a beer into a glass. LOL

This beer is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. It's been a long time since I had an IPA that was truely refreshing. This beer is flavourful and balanced. It has every single solid great taste that IPAs should have. The hops are right out there in front. Grapefruit, citrus, pine, wood, malt.... It's so solid but somehow they managed to make it dry. Okay I know most of you can not stand the thought of a DRY BEER. But this is what dry beer was meant to be. You can take a sip or a chug and then the aftertaste fades into nothing. Your not gonna walk around with ashtray mouth after drinking this beer.

I'm not the most fluent beer snob. But this beer is amazing. In fact I just picked up another 6 pack today. And I have to say at 6.6 ABV, this beer will sneak up on you if your not careful.

Go buy some. Try it for yourself. I promise you that you won't hate it. You might not fall in love like I have. But you won't be sorry...

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!! (1,492 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +35.2%

Bottle poured into shaker pint roughly-- three finger off white head with soild retention. Pale gold body with medium carbonation

Smooth mouthfeel, some lacing.

Smell: grapefruit and orange

Taste: PIne, resin, orange, and floral hop at the finish with a bite.

Overall, this is a grand beer; I'd buy this again in a heartbeat. Props to my wife for finding this gem.

Three traits that I love

1. Solid ABV
2. Crisp and refreshing
3. Not sour, funky or too fruity (465 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. Excellent x2 IPA. This is a full bodied IPA with strong smell and taste. Very smooth going down Looks great..medium in color. They have the Rebel Rider also that is great but not as strong and heave as the RED (217 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +33%

Not bad for a mass production ipa.
Very drinkable. Good ipa to choose if no micro brews are available.
Floral pine Citrus ..
Good color and feel.
Like i said good choice when all others are not available.
Not my first choice. .but would pick if i had to choose among the regular beer selection. (297 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +31%

Let's put it this way:

This is one of those intricate IPA's where you see a different ingredient and feel differently about it. For good reasons, though. The grapefruit honestly adds a touch of Blue Moon to it, but with the ABV of the IPA.

Hard to drink just one, but that isn't really a problem.

Love life and drink up,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up) (356 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +30.2%

L: In my wheat beer glass, it's orange on top and amber toward the bottom.

S/T: Initially, I knew there was Cascade and Centennial (aka super Cascade) in there; it's orange and grapefruit dominant in the nose. I get a west coast IPA feel from it.

F: I think they mashed in a little lower (± 150°F) to make this taste a bit drier. It pairs well with the lower bitterness.

Overall, I give this a 4 because I wish it was lower in alcohol. That is really the only thing that I can detract. As a homebrewer, I'm going to make one like this but with more body and a bit more sessionable, somwhere around ±3%. (610 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know other people want to compare it to a full ipa and with that in mind I would give it a around a 3.5. However if I review it for what I feel like it is... I don't want to say that it's a light tasting IPA as it has a full flavor just not the full bitterness one would come to expect with a west coast IPA. It has a (and I don't like fruit flavored beer) fruity impact of grapefruit. Not sweet or overly powerful just a hint of citrusy grapefruit along with a light touch of pine. It's an IPA you can drink more than two of and they still taste fresh.

Just my two cents... Spend them or don't ;D (600 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%

I don't know how many IPA's other members have tried, but almost all IPA's are rather excessive in hoppy bitterness. This Sam Adams Rebel IPA possesses an excellent finish with a perfect balance between hops and sweetness. I am going to try the Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA next for comparison. (297 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had long neck bottle poured into frosted mug at a restaurant. I'm new to drinking beers and the only other IPA I have ever had was Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale. This IPA was very good. (183 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very nice IPA from Sam Adams:
Appearance - Nice clear bronzeish color with a nice foam head
Smell - Excellent the Cascade and Simcoe Hops really come out in a citrusy but a glimpse of Amarrilo.
Taste - Excellent - you taste the above hops with the amarillo at the end. I would not say it is a west coast IPA, not enough bitterness for a west coast.
Mouthfeel - clean brisk
Overall - I like this beer very much. Not quite a Heady Topper or Pliny but very close.
I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I have. (518 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer is good. Too good for a mass produced IPA. So smooth. Nice IPA finish. The balance is superb. You only know you have drank an IPA from the aftertaste. Killer finish. Like walking in the woods and biting a pine tree. The alcohol is hidden. Some science behind this one as your usual IPA ain't this smooth. (324 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

IPA has been my beer of choice for any years. I live close to Boston and have been to Samuel Adams Brewery. This Rebel IPA was not available on my tour. First sampled it when in Florida. I really liked this beer.

a: Wonderful gold color, 1 finger head, lots of lace.
s: Light hop/citrus pine aroma, light malt.
t: Well balanced smooth taste, citrus, and light hop presence.
m: Full body with no after taste, very smooth.
o: Easy drinkable, another Samuel Adams winner.

This beer does not need any improvement. (511 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of the last major CANned holdouts was Samuel Adams in Boston, but then Jim Koch saw the light and has been CANverted! Thanks for listening to me, Jim. It brightens my day when a new CANned beer comes to market so that I CAN drink it, review it and share it with you.

From the CAN: " West Coast Style [-] Brewed for the Revolution"; "Everything we love about West Coast-style IPAs. Big citrus & grapefruit flavors with subtle pine notes for a flavorful, refreshing brew."; "Freshness matters. Enjoy before date on bottom."

Oh man, a tallboy of an AIPA! Be still, my beating heart. The Crack! was tremendous and I could barely restrain myself from an inverted Glug. In fact, I could not and following the pseudo-cascade, I had two puffy, billowy fingers of dense, bone-white head atop the beer. It looked like the clouds that Jim Weber and I remarked on yesterday on our way to Harrisburg. Gorgeous. Speaking of gorgeous, Sam. Adams is apparently a big believer in filtration and the result was a button-bright golden-yellow beer (SRM = >7, < 9). Naturally, this was the signal for my three drinking pals, Croesus, Mammon and Midas to show up and begin squabbling amongst themselves. I paid them no never mind and leaned in for a sniff. It was more subdued than what came in a bottle in that pine was the big leader and that was accompanied by an earthiness that made it very outdoorsy. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very pleasant and quite different from what I got in the bottled version. Now, it was more muted, more balanced, still quite hoppy, but with some malt in the mix to keep it from being too rebellious. Great lacing formed as I drank through this one. Finish was semi-dry, very drinkable, with a cool, minty lingering flavor. I would definitely put this in the cooler!

Time for a CANQuest (TM) update! My original, bottle review dtd 15 Feb 2014, scores 4.25, 4.75, 4.5, 4, and 4.5 follows:

I am a big fan of AIPAs, I usually like what comes from the Boston Beer Company, and I am watching Olympic hockey right now (Slovenia vs. Slovakia), so this should all add up to a big win for yours truly. I scored this at The Friendly Greek, our local up-and-coming bottle shop.

From the bottle: "Rebel IPA is brewed with 5 varieties of West Coast hops: Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook & Amarillo. It's everything we love about West Coast-style IPAs. Big citrus & grapefruit flavors with subtle pine notes for a flavorful, refreshing brew."; "West Coast Style [-] Brewed for the Revolution".

My aggro pour produced a solid finger of dense, tawny, rocky head with great retention that began to form great lacing as it fell. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity and lo and behold! my pals, Croesus, Mammon and Midas were lined up for a taste. Nose was subtle like a sledgehammer to the back of the head! It was a riot of grapefruit and pine and made me wonder who they thought they were zoomin' with that verbiage. All beers should smell like this. It was like an icebreaker cutting through my sinus cavity. Mouthfeel was medium, even kind of soft, with flavors of orange, tangerine, grapefruit and pine. This was a hophead's dream! Finish was dry, sure, but not gaspingly so. I really liked the way that they had shown restraint in getting these flavors without imparting a saturated-like mouthfeel. Would I drink this again? Is Sochi, Russia located on the Black Sea? Is it too much to ask them to put it in a CAN? (3,478 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

The best thing Sam has come out with in a long time, this is great sessionable IPA and I hear its going to be in 12 pack cans soon, that will be beyond great! Perfect Ipa for easy drinking hop goodness (201 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For me, this is a beer that is greater than the sum of its parts. The sweet bitterness balance is perfect for an AIPA, IMO. There is enough hop aroma and flavor to identify the style; while there are plenty of hoppier beers, those come across to me as one dimensional. I get a slight stone fruit aroma. I'm not a hunter of the white whale, always looking for overt, in your face character to distinguish a beer from the rest. I'm looking for beers that I would love for the rest of my life even if it were the only beer I could drink in that style. This beer fits that description at least as well as any IPA I've had. (618 characters)

I love IPA.

Thst's no secret. But I hadn't had any for about a month. I had been trying to lose weight. So I had a serious hankering for the world's most awesome form of liquid gold. I was in the supermarket and saw a six pack of Rebel IPA with big letters on the side. It was a beautiful sight.

When I got her home I tried a bottle. I poured it into a glass and admired her beautiful color as I took a deep deep sniff of that wonderful IPA smell. I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not sophisticated and don't know the taste of hops from barley, but I am qualified to say that this beer is delicious! !!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Unusual product. I really liked it when it first hit the market. It's as if my taste buds have gotten bored with it. Great beginning taste; seems to lose something toward the middle of the bottle/glass. I seldom drink a second. Some IPA tastes stay in my memory and I crave their taste. I started that way with this; but now it's a second or third choice when I go through my beer pantry. (389 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Captures the essence of west coast hops with its citrus flavor. full flavored and satisfying. Pours a clear amber, head that dissipates quickly while lacing the glass as you sip. Very glad to see Sams go for a signature IPA. This will help them compete with other local boston brewery Harpoon and their solid and very popular IPA. (330 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap 11/20/2013 at Doherty’s Ale House, in Warwick, RI served in a tapered mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. Then a strong hops bitterness quickly follows. The malt character is hearty and provides an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not to filling, decent kick, excellent West Coast representation of style, this is definitely one of my favorite Sam Adams beers. (742 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at a Buffalo Wild Wings.

A: Clear copper, about the color of a penny. Finger or so of off white head, heavy lacing. Near perfect for IPA.

S: Strong piney hops and citrus fruits. Very strong hops - the way I like an IPA. Little detectable malt, but I personally like my IPA this way.

T: Hops up front, almost tastes barrel aged in wood. Some slight bitterness on the back end with no residual aftertaste.

M: Properly carbonated, medium bodied. Again, near perfect.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this. This is one of the best IPAs I've had in a long time. (575 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A: super clear - bright orange pours with a nice finger and a half of sticky head.

S a bit lite on the hops here, and a strong malty note - also a NOTE, just a note, of ABV to the nose

T MUCH more hops to the palate than the nose - I guess they didnt bother too much with Dry hopping. still not bad at ALL! was the first thoght at the first sip...
nice hoppy aftertaste as well

M solid body and generous carbonation

D easy drinker's delight! thanks for the 6.5 buzz as well! cheers! (544 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good IPA. Some IPA's just hit you in the face with extreme hoppieness, but Sam Adams gives it to you very subtly. It is very refreshing to drink on a hot summer day. This is a good choice for people that want to start drinking IPA's. (248 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From twelve ounce bottle freshness dated to October 2014.

Aroma is heavily scented citrus. Pours bright orange body with a great big thick white head. Laces to bottom of glass. Taste is citrus with a bit of bite at the back of the palate. A good overall and refreshing brew. (275 characters)

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)