Samuel Adams Rebel IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

MALT VARIETIES Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, Caramel 60
HOP VARIETIES American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
CAL/SERVING 198 per 12oz serving
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Rebel IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,559 | Reviews: 491

Eating this among other IPAs namely Sierra nevada and founders, the price is right bought it at my convenience store. Easy drinking and good quality. Beer that got me to love beer. Then I bought Sierra Nevada and founders. Good stuff

Wow. Sam Adams did an incredible job here copying the hop profile of the popular Stone/Green Flas/San Diego IPA.

Seems to be a bit less bitter than others of this style , but the bottle I got must be fresh and is full of hoppiness.

Will get this again. Great, especially for the price.

This is the best IPA I have tried

4.97/5  rDev +38.8%

Samuel Adams is not one of my favourite brewers by any means. I have enjoyed their White Ale and Cherry in the past, but this beer caught my eye at a Chevron gas station in the Magnolia/Plantersville Texas forest area last week. This was an unusual gas station as it was in the middle of nowhere and had an incredible selection of beer.
I usually go thru all the points of review and make note but I drank this straight from the bottle because I was at my parent's house and my dad would have a heart attack if I poured a beer into a glass. LOL

This beer is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. It's been a long time since I had an IPA that was truely refreshing. This beer is flavourful and balanced. It has every single solid great taste that IPAs should have. The hops are right out there in front. Grapefruit, citrus, pine, wood, malt.... It's so solid but somehow they managed to make it dry. Okay I know most of you can not stand the thought of a DRY BEER. But this is what dry beer was meant to be. You can take a sip or a chug and then the aftertaste fades into nothing. Your not gonna walk around with ashtray mouth after drinking this beer.

I'm not the most fluent beer snob. But this beer is amazing. In fact I just picked up another 6 pack today. And I have to say at 6.6 ABV, this beer will sneak up on you if your not careful.

Go buy some. Try it for yourself. I promise you that you won't hate it. You might not fall in love like I have. But you won't be sorry...

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

4.88/5  rDev +36.3%

Bottle poured into shaker pint roughly-- three finger off white head with soild retention. Pale gold body with medium carbonation

Smooth mouthfeel, some lacing.

Smell: grapefruit and orange

Taste: PIne, resin, orange, and floral hop at the finish with a bite.

Overall, this is a grand beer; I'd buy this again in a heartbeat. Props to my wife for finding this gem.

Three traits that I love

1. Solid ABV
2. Crisp and refreshing
3. Not sour, funky or too fruity

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

I prefer this IPA from Sam Adams over Latitude 48.

4.73/5  rDev +32.1%

Let's put it this way:

This is one of those intricate IPA's where you see a different ingredient and feel differently about it. For good reasons, though. The grapefruit honestly adds a touch of Blue Moon to it, but with the ABV of the IPA.

Hard to drink just one, but that isn't really a problem.

Love life and drink up,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

4.7/5  rDev +31.3%

L: In my wheat beer glass, it's orange on top and amber toward the bottom.

S/T: Initially, I knew there was Cascade and Centennial (aka super Cascade) in there; it's orange and grapefruit dominant in the nose. I get a west coast IPA feel from it.

F: I think they mashed in a little lower (± 150°F) to make this taste a bit drier. It pairs well with the lower bitterness.

Overall, I give this a 4 because I wish it was lower in alcohol. That is really the only thing that I can detract. As a homebrewer, I'm going to make one like this but with more body and a bit more sessionable, somwhere around ±3%.

4.68/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know other people want to compare it to a full ipa and with that in mind I would give it a around a 3.5. However if I review it for what I feel like it is... I don't want to say that it's a light tasting IPA as it has a full flavor just not the full bitterness one would come to expect with a west coast IPA. It has a (and I don't like fruit flavored beer) fruity impact of grapefruit. Not sweet or overly powerful just a hint of citrusy grapefruit along with a light touch of pine. It's an IPA you can drink more than two of and they still taste fresh.

Just my two cents... Spend them or don't ;D

4.63/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite IPA's, give it a try!

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%

I don't know how many IPA's other members have tried, but almost all IPA's are rather excessive in hoppy bitterness. This Sam Adams Rebel IPA possesses an excellent finish with a perfect balance between hops and sweetness. I am going to try the Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA next for comparison.

4.59/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great taste and great value.

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very nice west coast style.

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

IPA is what its all about

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really good big brewery ipa

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had long neck bottle poured into frosted mug at a restaurant. I'm new to drinking beers and the only other IPA I have ever had was Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale. This IPA was very good.

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very nice IPA from Sam Adams:
Appearance - Nice clear bronzeish color with a nice foam head
Smell - Excellent the Cascade and Simcoe Hops really come out in a citrusy but a glimpse of Amarrilo.
Taste - Excellent - you taste the above hops with the amarillo at the end. I would not say it is a west coast IPA, not enough bitterness for a west coast.
Mouthfeel - clean brisk
Overall - I like this beer very much. Not quite a Heady Topper or Pliny but very close.
I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I have.

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting ipa for any occasion

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

This beer is good. Too good for a mass produced IPA. So smooth. Nice IPA finish. The balance is superb. You only know you have drank an IPA from the aftertaste. Killer finish. Like walking in the woods and biting a pine tree. The alcohol is hidden. Some science behind this one as your usual IPA ain't this smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

IPA has been my beer of choice for any years. I live close to Boston and have been to Samuel Adams Brewery. This Rebel IPA was not available on my tour. First sampled it when in Florida. I really liked this beer.

a: Wonderful gold color, 1 finger head, lots of lace.
s: Light hop/citrus pine aroma, light malt.
t: Well balanced smooth taste, citrus, and light hop presence.
m: Full body with no after taste, very smooth.
o: Easy drinkable, another Samuel Adams winner.

This beer does not need any improvement.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of the last major CANned holdouts was Samuel Adams in Boston, but then Jim Koch saw the light and has been CANverted! Thanks for listening to me, Jim. It brightens my day when a new CANned beer comes to market so that I CAN drink it, review it and share it with you.

From the CAN: " West Coast Style [-] Brewed for the Revolution"; "Everything we love about West Coast-style IPAs. Big citrus & grapefruit flavors with subtle pine notes for a flavorful, refreshing brew."; "Freshness matters. Enjoy before date on bottom."

Oh man, a tallboy of an AIPA! Be still, my beating heart. The Crack! was tremendous and I could barely restrain myself from an inverted Glug. In fact, I could not and following the pseudo-cascade, I had two puffy, billowy fingers of dense, bone-white head atop the beer. It looked like the clouds that Jim Weber and I remarked on yesterday on our way to Harrisburg. Gorgeous. Speaking of gorgeous, Sam. Adams is apparently a big believer in filtration and the result was a button-bright golden-yellow beer (SRM = >7, < 9). Naturally, this was the signal for my three drinking pals, Croesus, Mammon and Midas to show up and begin squabbling amongst themselves. I paid them no never mind and leaned in for a sniff. It was more subdued than what came in a bottle in that pine was the big leader and that was accompanied by an earthiness that made it very outdoorsy. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very pleasant and quite different from what I got in the bottled version. Now, it was more muted, more balanced, still quite hoppy, but with some malt in the mix to keep it from being too rebellious. Great lacing formed as I drank through this one. Finish was semi-dry, very drinkable, with a cool, minty lingering flavor. I would definitely put this in the cooler!

Time for a CANQuest (TM) update! My original, bottle review dtd 15 Feb 2014, scores 4.25, 4.75, 4.5, 4, and 4.5 follows:

I am a big fan of AIPAs, I usually like what comes from the Boston Beer Company, and I am watching Olympic hockey right now (Slovenia vs. Slovakia), so this should all add up to a big win for yours truly. I scored this at The Friendly Greek, our local up-and-coming bottle shop.

From the bottle: "Rebel IPA is brewed with 5 varieties of West Coast hops: Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook & Amarillo. It's everything we love about West Coast-style IPAs. Big citrus & grapefruit flavors with subtle pine notes for a flavorful, refreshing brew."; "West Coast Style [-] Brewed for the Revolution".

My aggro pour produced a solid finger of dense, tawny, rocky head with great retention that began to form great lacing as it fell. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity and lo and behold! my pals, Croesus, Mammon and Midas were lined up for a taste. Nose was subtle like a sledgehammer to the back of the head! It was a riot of grapefruit and pine and made me wonder who they thought they were zoomin' with that verbiage. All beers should smell like this. It was like an icebreaker cutting through my sinus cavity. Mouthfeel was medium, even kind of soft, with flavors of orange, tangerine, grapefruit and pine. This was a hophead's dream! Finish was dry, sure, but not gaspingly so. I really liked the way that they had shown restraint in getting these flavors without imparting a saturated-like mouthfeel. Would I drink this again? Is Sochi, Russia located on the Black Sea? Is it too much to ask them to put it in a CAN?

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

I think this is a well crafted beer, surprisingly drinkable, reasonably priced and easy to find on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

The best thing Sam has come out with in a long time, this is great sessionable IPA and I hear its going to be in 12 pack cans soon, that will be beyond great! Perfect Ipa for easy drinking hop goodness

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Sam Adams has always been able to create Top of The Line Specialties. Great Well balanced hoppy taste. Stay on the porch if it's to much for you.

4.49/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For me, this is a beer that is greater than the sum of its parts. The sweet bitterness balance is perfect for an AIPA, IMO. There is enough hop aroma and flavor to identify the style; while there are plenty of hoppier beers, those come across to me as one dimensional. I get a slight stone fruit aroma. I'm not a hunter of the white whale, always looking for overt, in your face character to distinguish a beer from the rest. I'm looking for beers that I would love for the rest of my life even if it were the only beer I could drink in that style. This beer fits that description at least as well as any IPA I've had.

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)