Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A

Added by kylehay2004 on 06-19-2013

Reviews: 470 | Ratings: 3,957
4.04/5  rDev +11%

I have picked up this twelver on numerous occasions. I couldn't believe it when I saw I had never officially reviewed it but I guess that's what happens when you take three years off between reviews. Pours copper bronze with a big, fluffy beige head with good staying power and lace. Nose is caramel malt and mild floral and grassy hops. Basic pine and citrus but pretty muted.

The taste to me is balanced, with earthy, medium hops and plenty of bread or biscuit notes from the malt. Balanced and fairly tasty. Thick, substantial texture that betrays none of the 6.5 abv.

Not a crazy hop bomb and nothing rebellious about it but something I rely on as a solid pick at $11.99 for a twelve pack on sale every month or so.

1.81/5  rDev -50.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle
Clear, decent head
Very little citrus or pine
No hop flavor before or after, a very average pale ale.
I would suggest that who ever wrote the copy for this bottle, has never tasted a California IPA

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Light clear yellow with fluffy white cap.

Aroma: Earthy, spicy hops with slight vegetal hint. No malt apparent, at least not to me.

Taste: Hops, hops and more hops. Earthy hops, spicy hops, hops on hops. Slightly bitter dry finish with lingering touch of bitter hops.

Texture: Solid middle to full texture, rather pleasant.

Overall: Heavy handed hops cancel out the malt. The brewer says this beer is made with malt but it could've included corn for all I could tell. Limited range like a piano that can only play in one octave. Competently made beer for the hop fan. I would've rated it higher had it been better balanced.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: medium golden hue with no haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy ivory foam; not bad at all!

Smell: lightly sweet malt with a bit of a floral, earthy hop character. Nice, but rather on the light side.

Taste: toasty malt with that same earthy and floral character. The result is a little soapy, which I kind of like. That said, this hardly seems "west coast style".

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: maybe not totally as-advertised, but not a bad beer.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled
Golden bodied with decent white head that though recedes always keeps the surface covered
Aroma is grapefruit and orange zest
Flavour is grapefruit candy white chocolate and cider
Mouthfeel okay but slightly too fizzy
Has IPA had it's day

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can. Yellow-gold with a big, fluffy head. Pine aroma is most prevalent with some grapefruit as well. Flavor starts malty with some bread and sweetness, some juicy citrus in the middle, and a bitter finish. Bitterness is present throughout, but starts light and picks up towards the end. Feel is medium - a little heavier than I'd like. Overall, this is a pretty decent IPA, but given the flavor profile, I'd like it more with a lighter mouth feel and a lower ABV.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had a Rebel IPA at dinner the other night and I really enjoyed it. It had a nice head and great hoppy aroma. The taste was very well balanced and perfect for my taste.

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

A true west coast style IPA out of the good folks in Boston. The color is a perfect golden, just slightly darker than a lager and there is a nice white head that hangs around and laces the glass nicely. The smell is the pure pine and citrus scents of the hops (Cascade?). The taste is a pretty predictable west coast IPA with maybe just slightly more hops (overcompensating?). Anyway, too strong for me to drink all night, I like it and would definitely order again.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a can.

L: Pours a clear medium gold color. Two fingers of white head.

S: Hops... herbal and piney. Slightly bready.

T/F: Bready malts forward giving way to a balanced hop profile. Mild citrus and pine. Herbal good carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Finish is clean and dry.

O: A fairly good IPA. Not outstanding but above average and easy to drink. Good for a session... but not a 'must try'.

3.22/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a chilled Bell's pint glass from a 12 ounce bottle with best by date of May 2016 - less than a month away. Either their dates are short (good), or this 6-pack has been around a while (not so good). Disclaimer: I had this after a bottle of Bell's Two Hearted, which may have been unfair.

L - 2-finger head that subsided rather quickly leaving very persistent lacing. Crystal-clear with deep pure golden color, no orange/copper hues that I could see.

S - Subtle piney / citrusy hop aroma that definitely does not knock your socks off.

T - Somewhat hoppy, but IMO very marginal for an IPA. The label mentions Centennial but I can't detect it. There's a slightly peppery flavor and significant caramel malt flavor. Overall it's drinkable but there's no "wow" whatsoever.

F - A bit thin, but smooth and pleasant.

O - I'm a HUGE fan of Boston Beer Company and several of their offerings. Having said that, I have no clue how Rebel IPA relates to the "West Coast Style" mentioned on the label. For an IPA, there is nothing in the way of memorable flavors or distinctive character. If you're having a picnic or barbecue and want to stock up on something that will bring a touch of hop goodness yet still please a broad range of tastes, this might be just the ticket. For me, this is to IPAs what certain mass-produced Colorado-associated lagers are to beer in general.

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Sam Adams The Perfect Pint glass, this beer pours a clear, medium golden color with a slight hint of an amber hue with lots of streams of little bubbles continuously rising to the beer's surface with a nice, thick, fluffy white head that's a good solid inch thick with very good retention. Pretty good lacing here. Aromas of grainy yeast and malty caramel sweetness along with some nice citrus, floral, and piney hops. Has a slightly toasted, somewhat bready, caramel malt sweetness that gives way to a citrus, earth, somewhat piney hop bitterness. Not a very complex flavor profile, but spot on for the style I feel. Has a fairly crisp, somewhat smooth and frothy, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a clean, refreshing finish. A solid IPA here that's worth a try.

Eric

4.04/5  rDev +11%

Having this out of a bottle with some ramen, but I've had it more than once before so I know what it looks like. It's caramel-colored and clear. Looks like an IPA!

It smells amazingly citrusy, and almost a bit sweet. Really, really nice smell.

The taste actually doesn't match the nose very well. It tastes more piney than anything else, but I'm not complaining. It's a standard IPA taste, and not a half-bad one.

I rated the mouthfeel a bit lower than everything else, because it's a bit thin and a touch too carbonated for my tastes, but still nothing to really complain about,

Overall, this is a pretty solid IPA that you can get for $8 a sixxer. Is it a mind-blowing IPA? No, not in the least. Is it a great go-to beer that you can get cheap and tastes fantastic, and available everywhere? Absolutely. With this one, don't think, just drink. It's good stuff.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviwed this a couple weeks ago and felt I needed to change my review. Had a few more of these since then. Stuff really grows on you. Clean, mild really easy to drink. Not a spectacular IPA but real solid. Look forward to drinking some of these boys this summer!

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours clean golden orange, finger white head fades slowly, some lacing. Mostly grain and yeast in the aroma. Clean grainy malt taste, muted hops, seems more like a saison to me with the yeast presence. Thin to medium oily mouthfeel. Not a bad brew, just not a great IPA.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This has got to be one of many bests for long hard hot days after work session beers. If I'm tired and don't want to stop at my local bottle shop, I know I can find this at my convenient store just around the corner from the house. This has a two finger snow white head with a slight vigorous pour. The liquid is of the pale yellow variety with lots of beading streaming to the top.
The aroma is a mere hint of hoppy goodness,but just enough to say " what's up? ". This has a clean low noted hops of the piney kind, light on the malt, alcohol is almost none existant, thou from experience with this 6.5%er it is a creeper. It just goes down so smooth, so clean with those suds in the finish makes you want more and more. This has become my afternoon workday beer and I will continue to buy this for my enjoyment and it's unwinding abilities.

~Cheers2Beers

A nice American pale ale. Had this in 16oz can on vacation. It was my go to beer after a couple of days. Average yellow color, white head, clear. Hop aroma, slight citrus/pine notes. Balanced bitter taste with sweet malt. Medium carbonation and pleasant mouth feel. Good drinkable beer.

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 0z bottle poured into a glass

L: The beer is a golden amber color with medium carbonation, it is relatively clear. I poured my beer aggressively so I got about three fingers of lingering head.

S: This beer does not have a huge smell, I smell mainly citrus aromas and hops sharpness. It also has a bit of a malty and fruity sweetness too it as well.

T: The taste seems to be dominated by citrus and grapefruit tones, it is not overly bitter, with a sharp bite once you swallow it that quickly fades. It has a bit of malty sweetness to it as well. It is not what you would call, "juicy," so the flavor is a bit boring.

F: It is not very dry, and has a relatively light body. You get a pleasant burn of alcohol. It is quite refreshing.

O: This is a basic IPA, its flavor is a bit simple, and the hop bitterness is quite modest. It an easy drinker, for those that are getting into IPA's such as myself, or if you don't feel like wrecking your palate while eating nachos. Good, not awesome, but ok.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

I've had this beer many times. It's hard to believe that I've never reviewed it. Particularly good on tap, I had it from a 12 ounce bottle this time. It is a completely clear, golden brew, with a tall, thick white foam. The aroma is hoppy...fresh, with more pine and earth than citrus. Nice. The taste is balanced...hints of sweetness, balanced with a drier finish than others. Drinkable and medium in body. I enjoy this brew.

Picked up a can for $1.59 plus tax, what a waste of money! I would rather drink Natty Daddy.

It tastes like a bitter citronella candle, I'm cringing while writing this. Please somebody give me a Pabst! This stuff reminds me of Smirnoff with hops.

$1.59 wasted, this went down the drain.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a relatively clear golden-copper body, two finger white head, nice retention, plenty of lacing, thick collar. There seem to be numerous small suspended particles within the body, which is curious. It's not cloudy by any means, if anything it's otherwise quite clear. Smells of sweet caramel, fair amount of astringent resin, pine, a bit of lemon and grapefruit. It's fairly resinous in smell. Flavour is moderately bitter resin, fair amount of pine on the backend, reasonably bitter, mild fruity flavour but not a whole lot of grapefruit/lemon. It's not bad, a reasonably approachable IPA with a fair amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, good carbonation, nice and drinkable with a fair amount of bitterness on the backend. It's a fairly generic IPA but it's balanced and reasonably well-constructed for an IPA. It won't ever win awards, and in some ways it's kind of boring, but it's a good starter IPA for people who think they want to try something new and are receptive to the bitterness of IPAs.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours amber, hazy with a very nice white foam head, good retention. Aroma is citric and fruity, very hoppy and appealing. Taste is bitter but mild, I expected more hops. Not bad, but mild, not "rebel" at all.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

(draft revisted, Bachi Burger, Henderson NV) Didn't rate this beer the first time I had it but this time around it came off much better than I recall. Thought this was overall pretty balanced, a bit bitter and earthy, and pretty enjoyable.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have to admit that I really enjoyed this IPA
I've tasted so many because I love them. Anyone can throw hops into a beer but to balance the crispness, fresh taste, that orange pine grapefruit spirit into s beer is what separates any IPA from a good one
Hats off to Samuel Adams for this one

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I've put off trying this, for whatever reason, but I'm glad I finally did. It's quite light in terms of appearance, smell, and overall impact on the tastebuds. I enjoyed this with homemade pizza tonight. I have nothing more to add to the previous reviews, aside from my opinion that this is a solid IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Yellow pour, some haze, white head, 1/2" , aroma was better than most SA hoppy offerings, plethora of five different hop varieties brings a good aroma, grapefruit heavy.

Taste, lighter malt bill than most SA ipas, got the caramel off the heavy mode. Good ipa, reliable.

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)