Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

CAL/SERVING 198 per 12oz serving
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A

Added by kylehay2004 on 06-19-2013

Reviews: 470 | Ratings: 3,956

IPA made for the masses. No citrus, no grapfruit, light hops, pretty much PBR with a slight hoppy flavor added in to satisfy the lame name. Should be called Whitebread IPA.

this is pretty much the worst IPA i've ever had. tons of off flavors, and overall completely bland and characterless. Overly malty, with flavors of squash, peanut butter, balsamic reduction, and sponge. Little to no head retention, and no lacing. I would not waste any more money or time on this Samuel Adams product.

Picked up a can for $1.59 plus tax, what a waste of money! I would rather drink Natty Daddy.

It tastes like a bitter citronella candle, I'm cringing while writing this. Please somebody give me a Pabst! This stuff reminds me of Smirnoff with hops.

$1.59 wasted, this went down the drain.

1.08/5  rDev -70.3%

Ended up throwing this out. Drank the first bottle and thought, that was disappointing. Looked at my brother as he took a swig and could read his dissatisfaction as well. I forced down one more, but the other three ended up staying in the fridge for...well, I think they still might be there, no, I did throw them away. Lousy IPA.

1.63/5  rDev -55.2%

Budweiser with additional hops... Quite possibly the worst IPA I have ever had.

Terrible appearance - off yellow, slightly gold.

Pours like a foam bath - half the pour was foam in a traditional IPA tulip glass.

A hint of citrus smell. No pine.

Taste - chalky and bitter.. IBU?? 20 at best.

Just what I would expect from a SA - less than average at best. If you were new to IPA's and had this, you may not want to ever try another IPA again (fear factor).

1.81/5  rDev -50.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle
Clear, decent head
Very little citrus or pine
No hop flavor before or after, a very average pale ale.
I would suggest that who ever wrote the copy for this bottle, has never tasted a California IPA

2.06/5  rDev -43.4%

I could do this review in one word. Why? Or boring, mediocre, you get the picture. Of course this is simply BBC's attempt to capitalize on the IPA craze, and market this beer to the masses with the Rebel name, as in look, step out of the norm and be a rebel. Please. I bought it because at Beer Heaven Philadelphia this was about the cheapest alternative available at $3 pint, and I didn't feel like sitting in a bar.

Better from the can, I made the mistake of pouring a little and wow, if I could give this beer a zero for appearance I would. Very moderate hints of citrus and even less pine, like I said, boring and mediocre. Lousy mouthfeel and overall not that drinkable. Hard to swallow. Really poor effort here.

Double Bock remains this brewer's only good beer of the ones I've tried.

2.09/5  rDev -42.6%

12 oz. bottle at Nick's Country Bar in Alexandria, VA; unknown brewing/packaging dates but best by April 2015; drank out of the bottle over 30 minutes

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%

Seems like Sam Adams is trying too hard to rip off the heat that Brew Dog has created... especially with the label... it's a below average American IPA. I had high expectations for the brew and was disappointed from the moment I opened the bottle. I hope this is not a trend, and hopefully this is just a one off mistake

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

03/18/14 From bottle.

It's not you it's me. Famous last words that we have probably all heard.

In this case it's my aversion to hops that cleaves the divide. The label says "It's everything we love about West Coast IPAs." Well, it's everything I dislike about West Coast IPAs. Too many different types in too big quantities. Hop overkill.

One might ask why, if I don't like hoppy beers, would I try this. Mainly I think the folks at Sam Adams deserve an open, honest take on whatever they feel is worth the effort.

I've had worse & I've had better. The lack of balance & finesse slams through.

All the more for the hops heads, I guess. To each his zone.

2.26/5  rDev -37.9%

I'm not sure why I even picked this up but I wish I hadnt. I might have just picked up some miller light and had enjoyed it possible more than this. The only way this resembles an ipa is that it says ipa on the bottle.

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

I do not like IPA's period, but this is actually drinkable...darker look poured into an English style pub glass...smelled awful but the taste was surprisingly drinkable not as bitter as most IPA's...still not a fan of the style but this is drinkable for me

2.29/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I always think I'm going to like it, and every time I'm disappointed. Very sub-par beer. I'm not sure why, but every time I have had it, whether out of the bottle or on tap it tastes like soap to me. Giving up on this one

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

So not feeling this. Thin. From the ingredient list it seems like all the flavors just run together. I just don't get distinctive flavors that take you somewhere . Malt -hop. One dimension .

2.32/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a crystal clear gold with a finger of white froth atop that kicks back to a lasting cap, and leaves hardly any lace. Crystal clarity means filtering, which is not a desirable characteristic to me in an IPA.

Weak aroma, light hints of neutral sweet, even lighter hints of grain and citrus.

A light strength taste, which starts with grassy grainy sweet, off flavored yeast, picks up some herbaly citrus that is not tasty, and ends with a sort of English hop drying thing going on that wants to be dry but is just off putting.

Too weak, too thin, overcarbed, crappy finish, and an unclean linger add up to a fail of a feel.

I recommend you bypass this beer, pick out almost any other IPA nearby and it has an excellent chance of being much better than this one.

2.4/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

One of the worst IPA's I've had in some time. The aroma hints at the off-putting taste you are in for. You know how some poorly-executed IPA's have a foul garbage aftertaste? This one. Its a drain pour, especially at the price point they are asking. As another reviewer noted...almost any other IPA near it would be a better choice.

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%

Just another watered down very light brew from sam. It's to attract mainstream snobs and nothing else. It lacks in all areas. I'm not impressed at all. Tsk tsk...

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Just stop!!!! Samuel Adams every beer you attempt to make a single flavorful selection is over powered by a single note. Its obvious this beer is too!!! Much Grapefruit. The smell and the horrible after taste is too strong of the fruit that you would make penicillin from. I wanted a hoppie beer as you advertised on the label not a overpowering grapefruit smirnoff ice.

2.57/5  rDev -29.4%

Marketed as west coast style and i don't know what that means but i tried it anyway because i like beer. The smell of this beer was really sweet. It was so sweet i thought it was a fruit beer which i really do no like. Fruit should be hard as rock in a cake around Christmas time, but that is a story for another time. Anyway, this IPA from Sam Adams has a bit of hoppiness that dissipates rapidly. It feels OK and it looks OK but there is nothing daring about this - in my mind the brewmaster was trying to please everybody.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

I have a problem with advertising drivel and the "brewed for the revolution" proudly stamped on this bottle really grinds my gears. Is SA going trying to tie in the "brewer patriot" theme? Is this for the craft beer revolution? And why brew this particular beverage for mutiny and not profit? Please tell me lest your uprising be in vain!

Gold with a thin, fast dissolving head. Smells like toasted grain with nary a hop to be found. Tastes like malt with a heavy, lethargic bitter at the end. Some orange citrus here and there but IPA worthy at all.

At first I thought my bottles were old but the best by date still has 2 months left. Then I thought it was just a bad bottle but I had another from that same 6 pack and it was just as bad. What a bummer. I've had this a couple times on draft and was really impressed that Sam Adams had stepped outside themselves to brew a quality west coast IPA but that doesn't seem to translate to the bottle at all.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Poured into a snifter thinking it would be amazing for the aroma, has a light orange color very white average looking head.

S: What a let down... after having other Sam Adams IPA's in a sampler pack I was expecting this to be a knock out, it was boring kind of lame not very "west coast" no pine at all.

T: Not too bad, pretty good malt character, obviously not enough hops, very little bitter.

M: Its like a Budweiser

O: I had high hopes for this beer, it seems like it was rushed or something, like they just wanted to get another IPA out there. I feel let down.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

Had a 3 ounce free sample at the local Buffalo Wild Wings earlier tonight on 12/17/14. My brother swears by this but since I really don't like IPA's, I decided to try it especially since it was on draught and didn't cost anything.

Pours a golden-yellow in color with a white head. Lots of lacing was seen when sipped. The aroma is of hops and pine for the most part. Pretty much the same for the taste and the typical bitter finish from the hops. Overall, I drank the 3 ounce sample and glad it wasn't a 12 ounce bottle because it wouldn't of been finished. Well...by me anyway since I don't like IPA's. MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2.73/5  rDev -25%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

For the amount of hop varieties they used to create their interpretation of a West Coast IPA, nothing stood out. Sam Adams does one thing consistent - no matter what style of beer they produce - it all shares a similar taste profile. Maybe I'm crazy. I've yet to drink any of their offerings and be blown away. If you're an IPA enthusiast who's been around the block more than once, don't expect to get anything remotely close out of this that compares to some of your favorites. Beyond mediocre and, quite comical, given Koch's cavalier attitude towards aggressively hopped beers. Anyone can do it? I disagree. I'd drink this over BMC, but that's not really saying anything, is it?

2.73/5  rDev -25%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The sheer mediocrity of this beer floors me... I was excited about this when I saw it on shelves and read the bottles... these guys should be able to make a consistently good IPA... maybe nothing world class but a good reach for example of the style like Boston Lager or their O'fest...

I've had several bottles of this now and I'm not impressed...in the least...

This is a poor effort... the beer isn't horrible or bad or anything... it's just very....average... or maybe a little below... Latitude 48 is better than this offering... from the brewery that can produce Imperial Hallertau (which they would bring back if they were smart), this reminds me of a mediocre homebrew...

The hops are not at all pungent or especially flavorful... aspirinlike in their bitterness...

Wont be revisiting this one

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This was extremely disappointing. Totally bland with no redeeming qualities. The bottle was pretty fresh, so I don't understand why this beer had no smell or taste. Not even close to a west coast IPA.

I don't think Lagunitas has to be worried, this isn't in the same league.

Don't bother with this one.

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)