Samuel Adams Rebel IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

MALT VARIETIES Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, Caramel 60
HOP VARIETIES American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
CAL/SERVING 198 per 12oz serving
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Rebel IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,552 | Reviews: 490

IPA made for the masses. No citrus, no grapfruit, light hops, pretty much PBR with a slight hoppy flavor added in to satisfy the lame name. Should be called Whitebread IPA.

this is pretty much the worst IPA i've ever had. tons of off flavors, and overall completely bland and characterless. Overly malty, with flavors of squash, peanut butter, balsamic reduction, and sponge. Little to no head retention, and no lacing. I would not waste any more money or time on this Samuel Adams product.

1.06/5  rDev -70.4%

Tastes more like a lager. barely any hoppy taste. It would be disrespectful to call this an ipa

1.08/5  rDev -69.8%

Ended up throwing this out. Drank the first bottle and thought, that was disappointing. Looked at my brother as he took a swig and could read his dissatisfaction as well. I forced down one more, but the other three ended up staying in the fridge for...well, I think they still might be there, no, I did throw them away. Lousy IPA.

1.31/5  rDev -63.4%

Awful. Any real IPA drinker will hate this

1.57/5  rDev -56.1%

Tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. Not good.

1.63/5  rDev -54.5%

Budweiser with additional hops... Quite possibly the worst IPA I have ever had.

Terrible appearance - off yellow, slightly gold.

Pours like a foam bath - half the pour was foam in a traditional IPA tulip glass.

A hint of citrus smell. No pine.

Taste - chalky and bitter.. IBU?? 20 at best.

Just what I would expect from a SA - less than average at best. If you were new to IPA's and had this, you may not want to ever try another IPA again (fear factor).

1.69/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I
Will
Not
Write

Don't really love it, but I can keep drinking it.

2.06/5  rDev -42.5%

I could do this review in one word. Why? Or boring, mediocre, you get the picture. Of course this is simply BBC's attempt to capitalize on the IPA craze, and market this beer to the masses with the Rebel name, as in look, step out of the norm and be a rebel. Please. I bought it because at Beer Heaven Philadelphia this was about the cheapest alternative available at $3 pint, and I didn't feel like sitting in a bar.

Better from the can, I made the mistake of pouring a little and wow, if I could give this beer a zero for appearance I would. Very moderate hints of citrus and even less pine, like I said, boring and mediocre. Lousy mouthfeel and overall not that drinkable. Hard to swallow. Really poor effort here.

Double Bock remains this brewer's only good beer of the ones I've tried.

2.09/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz. bottle at Nick's Country Bar in Alexandria, VA; unknown brewing/packaging dates but best by April 2015; drank out of the bottle over 30 minutes

2.12/5  rDev -40.8%

Disappointing lack of any aroma before the first sip.

2.18/5  rDev -39.1%

Very little flavor - barely noticeable hops. Definitely not what I was expecting from an IPA.

2.18/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Can be better a little sweet

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

Seems like Sam Adams is trying too hard to rip off the heat that Brew Dog has created... especially with the label... it's a below average American IPA. I had high expectations for the brew and was disappointed from the moment I opened the bottle. I hope this is not a trend, and hopefully this is just a one off mistake

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A watered down IPA with little flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

03/18/14 From bottle.

It's not you it's me. Famous last words that we have probably all heard.

In this case it's my aversion to hops that cleaves the divide. The label says "It's everything we love about West Coast IPAs." Well, it's everything I dislike about West Coast IPAs. Too many different types in too big quantities. Hop overkill.

One might ask why, if I don't like hoppy beers, would I try this. Mainly I think the folks at Sam Adams deserve an open, honest take on whatever they feel is worth the effort.

I've had worse & I've had better. The lack of balance & finesse slams through.

All the more for the hops heads, I guess. To each his zone.

2.26/5  rDev -36.9%

I'm not sure why I even picked this up but I wish I hadnt. I might have just picked up some miller light and had enjoyed it possible more than this. The only way this resembles an ipa is that it says ipa on the bottle.

2.29/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I always think I'm going to like it, and every time I'm disappointed. Very sub-par beer. I'm not sure why, but every time I have had it, whether out of the bottle or on tap it tastes like soap to me. Giving up on this one

2.3/5  rDev -35.8%

So not feeling this. Thin. From the ingredient list it seems like all the flavors just run together. I just don't get distinctive flavors that take you somewhere . Malt -hop. One dimension .

2.32/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a crystal clear gold with a finger of white froth atop that kicks back to a lasting cap, and leaves hardly any lace. Crystal clarity means filtering, which is not a desirable characteristic to me in an IPA.

Weak aroma, light hints of neutral sweet, even lighter hints of grain and citrus.

A light strength taste, which starts with grassy grainy sweet, off flavored yeast, picks up some herbaly citrus that is not tasty, and ends with a sort of English hop drying thing going on that wants to be dry but is just off putting.

Too weak, too thin, overcarbed, crappy finish, and an unclean linger add up to a fail of a feel.

I recommend you bypass this beer, pick out almost any other IPA nearby and it has an excellent chance of being much better than this one.

2.4/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

One of the worst IPA's I've had in some time. The aroma hints at the off-putting taste you are in for. You know how some poorly-executed IPA's have a foul garbage aftertaste? This one. Its a drain pour, especially at the price point they are asking. As another reviewer noted...almost any other IPA near it would be a better choice.

2.4/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Well at least hey tried. I expect more from Samuel Adams.

2.44/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Starts out OK, but finishes distasteful, like a Bud Light. If I didn't know what it was I wouldn't have guessed it was an IPA.

2.46/5  rDev -31.3%

Just another watered down very light brew from sam. It's to attract mainstream snobs and nothing else. It lacks in all areas. I'm not impressed at all. Tsk tsk...

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)