Follow our progress ...

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A

Added by kylehay2004 on 06-19-2013

Reviews: 484 | Ratings: 4,022
3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours clean golden orange, finger white head fades slowly, some lacing. Mostly grain and yeast in the aroma. Clean grainy malt taste, muted hops, seems more like a saison to me with the yeast presence. Thin to medium oily mouthfeel. Not a bad brew, just not a great IPA.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This has got to be one of many bests for long hard hot days after work session beers. If I'm tired and don't want to stop at my local bottle shop, I know I can find this at my convenient store just around the corner from the house. This has a two finger snow white head with a slight vigorous pour. The liquid is of the pale yellow variety with lots of beading streaming to the top.
The aroma is a mere hint of hoppy goodness,but just enough to say " what's up? ". This has a clean low noted hops of the piney kind, light on the malt, alcohol is almost none existant, thou from experience with this 6.5%er it is a creeper. It just goes down so smooth, so clean with those suds in the finish makes you want more and more. This has become my afternoon workday beer and I will continue to buy this for my enjoyment and it's unwinding abilities.

~Cheers2Beers

A nice American pale ale. Had this in 16oz can on vacation. It was my go to beer after a couple of days. Average yellow color, white head, clear. Hop aroma, slight citrus/pine notes. Balanced bitter taste with sweet malt. Medium carbonation and pleasant mouth feel. Good drinkable beer.

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 0z bottle poured into a glass

L: The beer is a golden amber color with medium carbonation, it is relatively clear. I poured my beer aggressively so I got about three fingers of lingering head.

S: This beer does not have a huge smell, I smell mainly citrus aromas and hops sharpness. It also has a bit of a malty and fruity sweetness too it as well.

T: The taste seems to be dominated by citrus and grapefruit tones, it is not overly bitter, with a sharp bite once you swallow it that quickly fades. It has a bit of malty sweetness to it as well. It is not what you would call, "juicy," so the flavor is a bit boring.

F: It is not very dry, and has a relatively light body. You get a pleasant burn of alcohol. It is quite refreshing.

O: This is a basic IPA, its flavor is a bit simple, and the hop bitterness is quite modest. It an easy drinker, for those that are getting into IPA's such as myself, or if you don't feel like wrecking your palate while eating nachos. Good, not awesome, but ok.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

I've had this beer many times. It's hard to believe that I've never reviewed it. Particularly good on tap, I had it from a 12 ounce bottle this time. It is a completely clear, golden brew, with a tall, thick white foam. The aroma is hoppy...fresh, with more pine and earth than citrus. Nice. The taste is balanced...hints of sweetness, balanced with a drier finish than others. Drinkable and medium in body. I enjoy this brew.

Picked up a can for $1.59 plus tax, what a waste of money! I would rather drink Natty Daddy.

It tastes like a bitter citronella candle, I'm cringing while writing this. Please somebody give me a Pabst! This stuff reminds me of Smirnoff with hops.

$1.59 wasted, this went down the drain.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a relatively clear golden-copper body, two finger white head, nice retention, plenty of lacing, thick collar. There seem to be numerous small suspended particles within the body, which is curious. It's not cloudy by any means, if anything it's otherwise quite clear. Smells of sweet caramel, fair amount of astringent resin, pine, a bit of lemon and grapefruit. It's fairly resinous in smell. Flavour is moderately bitter resin, fair amount of pine on the backend, reasonably bitter, mild fruity flavour but not a whole lot of grapefruit/lemon. It's not bad, a reasonably approachable IPA with a fair amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, good carbonation, nice and drinkable with a fair amount of bitterness on the backend. It's a fairly generic IPA but it's balanced and reasonably well-constructed for an IPA. It won't ever win awards, and in some ways it's kind of boring, but it's a good starter IPA for people who think they want to try something new and are receptive to the bitterness of IPAs.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours amber, hazy with a very nice white foam head, good retention. Aroma is citric and fruity, very hoppy and appealing. Taste is bitter but mild, I expected more hops. Not bad, but mild, not "rebel" at all.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

(draft revisted, Bachi Burger, Henderson NV) Didn't rate this beer the first time I had it but this time around it came off much better than I recall. Thought this was overall pretty balanced, a bit bitter and earthy, and pretty enjoyable.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have to admit that I really enjoyed this IPA
I've tasted so many because I love them. Anyone can throw hops into a beer but to balance the crispness, fresh taste, that orange pine grapefruit spirit into s beer is what separates any IPA from a good one
Hats off to Samuel Adams for this one

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I've put off trying this, for whatever reason, but I'm glad I finally did. It's quite light in terms of appearance, smell, and overall impact on the tastebuds. I enjoyed this with homemade pizza tonight. I have nothing more to add to the previous reviews, aside from my opinion that this is a solid IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Yellow pour, some haze, white head, 1/2" , aroma was better than most SA hoppy offerings, plethora of five different hop varieties brings a good aroma, grapefruit heavy.

Taste, lighter malt bill than most SA ipas, got the caramel off the heavy mode. Good ipa, reliable.

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a transparent golden blonde color with a 2 finger, fluffy white head.

Smells of citrus and pine, some biscuit malts.

Taste is refreshing, citrus peels dominating; slight pine, and then the biscuit notes come in. Finish is more citrus rind and white malts.

Feel is crisp and easy, goes down simple and smooth. Light bodied, crisp finish.

Rebel IPA is a simple, easy drinking summer IPA with not a ton of flavor, but not a ton of strength either. I'd buy it for cookouts, summer get togethers, and just whatever. It's easy peasy, no sipping needed, no analyzing necessary. Buy it for fun, not for intensity.

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

The appearance of the pour from a 12 oz. can was a gold color with a slightly off white rocky head.

Smell that hit me was pine, pine and more pine.

The taste was a punch of piny hops with a somewhat sticky lacing all along my throat, lips and glass.

This was a beer that has a nice hops kick with a clean crisp finish that makes me coming back for more. For a guy that is not a hop head that says something. I like the pine notes on the Rebel and would probably be willing to go back for more.

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Was kind of hesitant to try this one since I've had some really good craft IPA's this week, and I thought I might be disappointed. This was actually pretty good. The color was a little bit on the dark side for an IPA. I'm not a great judge of smell but it's pretty balanced, not overpowering in any way. A little bit of fruitiness stands out. Taste and feel were good, balanced. Again the fruit flavors stand out a little bit and there's a slightly sweet finish.

As others have said, it's very drinkable. I'll probably come back to this one when I'm not looking for a home-run, just a solid beer that I know I can enjoy. Seems to be a recurring theme with Sam Adams beers.

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I'm an IPA snob so I was hesitant to try this beer. My girlfriend bought it for me, and I have enjoyed it. There is a serious clove taste that goes well with the bitterness and slight peppery taste. It's not nearly as strong or bitter as it should be for a west coast IPA (i.e. Green Flash West Coast IPA or Palette Wrecker). Sam Adams did a respectable job.

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA brewed by Boston Beer Company, with an ABV of 6.50% This IPA pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice thick white head. This brew has the look of most IPA's on the market, not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Rebel IPA is rich with hops, grains and malts. There is a lot of earthiness to the smell of this brew. Now for the taste bold with flavors. You first pick up on the hops in this brew, then a nice smoothness of grains and malts at the end of the taste. There is a lot going on in Rebel IPA , it has a nice balance to it. Nothing really overpowerin about this brew. Not even the hops in this brew. This has to be one of the more smoother IPA's on the market today. The mouthfeel of Samuel Adams Rebel IPA, is Bold, rich, smooth and refreshing. You really can't pick up on the 6.50% ABV in this brew. Overall I'm giving Samuel Adams Rebel IPA a 4.25 out of 5. Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams), did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Highly drinkable.
Not overly sweet, not overly hopped. Somewhere in the middle and is a good session beer or something worthy of drinking at a shitty bar which deems this a high end beer.

Good, not great.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light amber colour with a thin off white head and a little lacing. Smells of typical IPA though with a good hint of citrus. Tastes very good, not overly hoppy like a lot of IPA's. Goes down smooth, maybe too smooth because I just finished it way too fast.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

A 12pk of (well constructed) cans with the BB date stamped clearly on the bottom. Good start!

This is an underrated, solid offering. Beer snobs can laugh, their loss.
A very good IPA, available nationwide, fantastic price!

Sure, Boston Brewing is not the cool, "mad scientist" of breweries.... but they can't all be.
As a frequent traveler, I like knowing I can find it pretty much everywhere.

4.15/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Whatcha See? Looks like apple juice with a decent head that sticks around. Whatcha Smell? Toasted sweet malts and citrusy hops, more grapefruit than pine. Whatcha Taste? Sweet toasted caramel malts, grapefruit, and slight pine. Mouth feel is smooth, light, highly drinkable, and finishes dry. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Whatcha think? This is a very well done IPA that isn't offensive and to me it is extremely well rounded with the malty sweetness, and finishing with the grapefruit hops. I will buy this again. A-

3.42/5  rDev -6%

L- looks like a bud light
S- I could smell the bitterness, not much else
T- decent... as with smell, there wasn't much taste besides bitter
F- very light and drinkable feel for an IPA... very carbonated though

Overall, it's not terrible, but definitely not memorable. I'd drink it again, but not at bar prices.

4.04/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into six ounce glass from 12 oz bottle
L- a dark yellow color closer to gold, thin white head left lacing
S- first sniff was total grapefruit also some toasty malts
T- taste was well balanced decent malt taste with overtones of pine and citrus from the hops with little sweetness too
F- was crisp but not so carbonated, a little creamy
O- was a great IPA well balanced malt and hops leaving a nice bitter aftertaste for quite some time after the beer was done

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber gold pour. Smells of pine and grapefruit citrus. Strong grapefruit flavors with intense bitterness. One of the more hoppy, bitter and aggressive IPA's. Not very well balanced. It feels highly carbonated with a light-medium body. Really bitter, grapefruit, pine hoppy flavor. As it warms though the flavors mellow out and the malt begins to shine a little. Overall, not a bad one.

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours crystal clear (filtered) with medium head and some lacing. Nose is a little weak for an IPA, but does have nice c-hop notes, edging towards piney. Taste is clean with reasonable bitterness and balance. Overall, a good back up IPA when nothing better is available.

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)