Samuel Adams Rebel IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Rebel IPASamuel Adams Rebel IPA

CAL/SERVING 198 per 12oz serving
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS N/A
Reviews: 403 | Hads: 3,599
3.27/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not impressed. Was hoping for better from a great Brewery. Not really a West Coast IPA... Not enough hop taste and too much malt. Ok if you're looking for a mediocre IPA. I guess. You taste buds have been spoiled by Knee Deep Brewery and El Segundo (248 characters)

3.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Swinging Chicken Saloon.

Pours a clear amber, left a half inch white head that dissipated slowly, left moderate lacing on the glass.

Piney, sweet hops take the start, a nice toasted malt barley takes the finish.
Not bad at all.

Medium-light bodied, light carbonation, crisp finish. (296 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%

Nice light IPA. Great for a hot day when you are not looking for something with a lot of power and bite. A tiny bit pedestrian, but I would drink it again. (155 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First off, this is NOT a West Coast IPA. It is not very bitter, it is too low in alcohol, and the malt balance is more like an English IPA.

That said, it is still enjoyable. Grapefruit and pine hoppiness, with balanced malts. Strong fruitiness overall that is not consistent with American hops. Dry and spicy on the finish, but only low to moderate bitterness. (361 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz. Bottle
Enjoy By: Jul 2015

Poured into a pint glass a basically clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonatino, with a nice one-finger fizzy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly hoppy with some malt notes, very slight citrus. The taste is mostly malty, but with a very close maltyness, very slight citrus. Medium body. dry/bitter finish. Overall a tasty brew, but probably will not buy again. (439 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a perfect pint. Bottle.

3.25 A: Clear light orange color. Two fingers of frothy white head. Retention is a touch below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.0 S: This wasn't what I was expecting. It's surprisingly bready with a cracker component to it. When I think of "west coast IPA" I think more clean malt profile. Hops are a hodgepodge of herbal, grapefruity citrus, and grassy. There's hints of some musky cat aroma in there as well.

3.25 T: Taste is pretty similar to nose. Mild bitterness. Musty feline flavors with a hefty herbal component. Grassy and citrusy hops underneath. The taste is more cracker and less bready than the nose though.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess and super smooth.

3.25 D: It's not a bad beer, but it's not what I was expecting. If I went in thinking this was a pale ale instead of a "west coast IPA" I probably would have been more satisfied. Either way, it drinks easy. (993 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +13.3%

Serving Type: 355 mL Bottle

A- Slightly hazy Light Amber colour with an off white 2 finger head that has pretty good retention. Lots of lacing on the glass.

S- Bready malt and Citrus(grapefruit).

T-Nice malt that gives way to refreshing citrus but slightly sweeter than the citrus on the aroma. Almost orange/tangerine. Nice hop bite on the finish.

M- Low to Medium Carbonation and a very smooth body.

O- Thankfully Samuel Adam's Rebel IPA finally became available in New Brunswick and I have to say that this is easily to best Samuel Adam's beer I've had to date. It simply has all of the characteristics you would want in an IPA. Nice malt and citrus flavours with an adequate hop bite. To Whomever is responsible for bringing this beer to New Brunswick: Thank you. (774 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking a lot of the Double IPA version of this called Rebel Rouser, and it is definitely one of my favorite beers. I finally decided to give this one a try and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I poured it into a claret glass from a bottle best enjoyed before June of this year.

Look: A hazy/cloudy light amber with a rich slightly off-white head. I'm guessing it's cloudy from bottle conditioning. Looking at it through the light gives it the appearance of orange blossom honey.

Smell: The aroma is very bready with a kiss of peach and a fruity smell from the yeast. It actually smells like Fat Tire to me, but with a flourish of hops. This is the only beer other than Fat Tire that I would describe as smelling "beery", which is something I don't often do but when I do it is a compliment.

Taste: The taste is very pleasant and mild, with upfront malt giving way to subtle peachy tones and then a fruity taste from the yeast alone. It is not bitter at all, which is something I foresaw with an IBU rating of only 45. However, I like how the flavor components all play well together.

Feel: This beer is quite smooth and has a satisfying body that starts round and ends zesty with just a kiss of carbonation.

Overall: This is a very approachable IPA that if I tried blindfolded I would think it was Fat Tire. This is because I am a master of hops and I drink 85 IBU DIPAs like they were cream soda. However, everything about this beer is pleasant other than the cloudy appearance, but from the tap this wouldn't be an issue. If you are in the mood for Fat Tire but would like a buzz then I would highly recommend giving this one a try. (1,652 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It's legit. Wasn't sure what I would think of Sam Adams' attempt at an IPA, but they did a very nice job. Nothing surprising or bold, just solid. I'll look for this on the menu next time I'm somewhere without an extensive beverage list. (239 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I had two large drafts of it at Buffalo Wild Wings. The first draft came in a more traditional Samuel Adams glass. The hops were very forward. Similar to other strong IPA's like Dogfish Head 60 Minute or Victory Hop Devil. I wasn't sure about ordering the large at first, but went after it and it remained sharp, but drinkable throughout. I did not have it with food. The lacing on the glass was very nice. The 2nd one was a more traditional double pilsner glass. So I think the first one held together a bit better. Overall, very nice hoppy ale. (546 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Pours a mostly clear meduim amber with a two finger head.

Smell- Lightly toasted malt with a distinct grapefruit citrus aroma to it.

Taste- A bready yet sweet caramelized malty flavor followed up by a grapefruit zest, a bit of mango quality in there as well which adds sweetness. Herbal hop flavor rounds out the taste leaving a dry bitterness in the palate.

Mouthfeel- Heavier than expected, Medium-heavy.

Overall- A good IPA that gives good definition of the style. Malty and hoppy. Not over the top but that is representative of SA brews. Really this is a well done IPA. Solid B for sure. (656 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It seems Sam Adams has gotten a bad rap among craft beer drinkers lately. I think if one was to get this beer not knowing who made it, their taste buds would be free of prejudice. Admittedly I was skeptical when picked this IPA up today, but was pleasantly surprised. It has nice aroma, the taste is fruity but could use a little more bite and the feel is ok. This is not in the same league as say Lunch by Maine Beer Company, but it's not bad and quite drinkable. (464 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Fantastic head great pour and very inviting.
Smell: Extremely hoppy, sweet almost fruity.
Taste: Kind of falls flat for me. More bitter than I was expecting from the smell. (179 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good beer, but well below average for an IPA. 6.5% Alcohol. Get this beer only if it's the only IPA on draft (besides Davidson's or Schmaltz- which should find another line of work, since they really don't know how to brew beer). (232 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

My first foray back into IPA's and it got better with every sip, by the end I was sad it was gone. Really solid and pretty affordable, I would buy again for sure. (163 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A dark golden brown, but not too dark and it is crisp and clear. The carbonation is plentiful and forms a 1-2 finger thick head with a foam which turns into medium sized bubbles as it fizzes.

Smell: A noticeable maltiness that is rich with toasty bread aromas and ending in a herbal hoppiness that is subtle. At the end I get some notes of citrus, but not any grassy pines like I love in other beers.

Taste: The flavor is great and I think this beer is good for when you want a quiet IPA. It has 6.5% ABV and a cool 45 IBUs which is as low as I’d ever go, hence the idea of a “quiet” IPA. The crisp malts that form the body linger for a while before giving way to the herbal hops and some notes of nutmeg at the end. The citrus is like a tangerine flavor that gently kisses the hops and lingers for just the right amount of time. There is a pleasant after taste of resins that stay for a while on the tongue also. Very nice!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty standard, but nice. It is a smooth feel with just enough carbonation to give the texture. The head tickles the lips and makes the aroma amplified. The head stayed all the way until I finished this refreshing beer.

Overall: I think this is a great beer but it could be more hoppy. I love the malts though and the timed release of the various flavors is excellent. Save this one for a lazy Sunday when you don’t want to drink too much but are in the mood for a calm IPA. (1,454 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

IPAs are usually hits or misses with me. I can confidently say that this one is a hit. Pours a nice orangey somewhat coppery color with a white head that last until the last sip. The aroma did not have as strong of a citrus aroma I like in IPAs but it was present. The taste is better than most IPAs I have tried in my opinion, full of nice hoppy goodness. Overall it's a really solid brew. (390 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I always think I'm going to like it, and every time I'm disappointed. Very sub-par beer. I'm not sure why, but every time I have had it, whether out of the bottle or on tap it tastes like soap to me. Giving up on this one (221 characters)

A pretty pleasant IPA with a nice little malt to balance it out. This one straddles the line a bit between hoppy and malty. I would say it doesn't really go either way though. Not the best IPA in the world, but a pretty good 'safe' example nonetheless.

Would purchase and drink again. (285 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Quite honestly this is not a bad IPA. It's not daring, yet not generic. The aroma is nice, not overpowering, the look is not what I would expect from a typical IPA, but it drinks fair. (184 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Pours a softly hazed, rustic orange body with a half-inch-high, snow white, foam head.

Smell: A mixture of toasted bread and barley grains paired with a zip of citrus-scented hops.

Taste: Lightly toasted crustless bread, lightly toasted grains given a sip of water and housing a light sweetness. Citric edged lemon, tangerine and even some finely shredded herbs. Medium bitterness. Fairly drying finish, with a sustained taste of the citrus and herbs into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: None its feature are overly pronounced, but, still, it's a decent, if a bit basic IPA. (629 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

Well... I don't know. I bought a few of these in 12 oz. cans. This beer has many of the trappings of a true IPA. And yet there is something amiss. I can't say for sure that I am not being biased because it is a Sam Adams beer. I admit that I see Sam Adams as a savvy brewer that is only marginally removed from the BMC mainstream.

The color is very nice, very golden. Personally, I prefer a bit of haze in my IPA's. The smell is credible. I get the citrus and a bit of the floral tones.

When it comes to the taste, I feel disappointment. The taste is OK. There is hop bitterness and such. Nothing to make me go "Wow!"

Maybe it's the feel that is bothering me. A tad watery, maybe? A tad undercarbonated? Not sure, but there is just something askew here.

Overall, this is drinkable. It's not unpleasant. Sierra Nevada Torpedo it's not. I probably won't buy this again, though I will finish the cans I did purchase. (919 characters)

Clear, deep golden color. Thick, frothy head with lots of lacing. Citrusy flavor gives way to floral hops and a good bitterness from the hops which lingers for a bit. Not the best IPA I've ever had, but not bad. (212 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had long neck bottle poured into frosted mug at a restaurant. I'm new to drinking beers and the only other IPA I have ever had was Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale. This IPA was very good. (183 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +12.5%

Got to have this on draft at the local B-Dubs. Here goes:

A: Rather nice, actually. Clear orange-amber with a decent head - leaves a lot of lacing as well. Carbonation was very ample.

S: Piney, some grapefruit, and a touch of caramel malt. However, the scents are somewhat mellow - not nearly as robust as in other IPA's. In that regard, the beer is somewhat lacking.

T: Definite WC IPA. Pine, grapefruit, and some grassy/floral hops. Tastes pretty sweet owing to the combination of pine and caramel malt. Good.

F: Very well carbonation.

O: Good beer. Better than expected. (595 characters)

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)