1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Utopias MMIII - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Utopias MMIIISamuel Adams Utopias MMIII

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  25.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-16-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Phatz:
4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

WoodyChandler is a Saint! Thank you friend, for sharing this with me. I love sweet. I love maple and vanilla. I love boozy brandy-like alcohol (I drink my night cap every night) This Utopias is everything I love and I love everything about it.
That said.
It is not beer - (technically it is I know) but It is Maple brandy liquor as I see it. It is 50 proof. It looks like a bourbon, it smells like brandy and it tastes like only something called Utopias could (essentially calling it self perfection). Some people have said it tastes like the Triple Bock but I have never had that one, so, I must say this is like nothing I have ever had before and is only even comparable to top self liquor. I have paid 75 - 85 dollars for a bottle of Scotch but curently $125 for a bottle of 'Maple Liquor' is ... well, it something I may not have had the opportunity to enjoy yet, if not for the amazing generosity of my man Woody.

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with no head or lacing it is what I'd except in the appearance of a brandy. Excellent clarity.

Smell: The aroma of Bourbon Barrel vanilla bean, and maple, and caramel, a hint of pecan and butter and *booze* ... lots of maple booze it excites every cell in my body just thinking about it.

Taste: Queue the music.
I wanted fall to my knees right there in Woody's kitchen and throw my hands in the air, "I have seen the light" would come bellowing out of soul, but I restrained myself. If you have ever heard 'Angels We have Heard on High' sung in 4 part harmony by a huge congregation It goes Angels we have heard on high... etc ... in reply Echoing their joyous strains - and then sopranos take off on the chorus with Glooo OOOO oooo OO o oooo ooria meanwhile the chello plucks out the harmonizing line - while the baritones gently harmonize in step with Glor-ia is thy name oh ... UTOPIAS ;-)
Well, that moment is the only way I can describe this Utopias. In both cases every single hair on my arms stand on end. I get the goose bumps and chills run up and down my back and a fully satisfying moment and feeling where all is right every takes over my entire being to the deepest level.
How to describe the flavor that causes this reaction? Well, it is rich and syrupy with an exceptionally smooth body that delivers the flavor of oak wood barrel vanilla, bourbon, caramel, cherries - or a splash of port with other subtle fruits. Although it is boozy the mouthfeel seems more driven by the sweetness than any alcohol burn. It would be a perfect nightcap and a regular of mine at $49. For me personally, this is RIGHT ON! At $125 ... well, it would be perfect if money were no object at this point.

Thanks Again Woody!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Sampled at the Pop The Cap gathering in Raleigh.

What does one white ticket get you? An ounce of heaven. Heaven in the form the Utopias. Can you really call this a beer? It's tough to think of something so big as a beer.

Appearance is very much like a good scotch. No head. When I brought the glass up to my nose to sniff it, my eyes watered. It took me 10 minutes just to smell this one. The alcohol is so dominant in the aroma. I also detect butterscotch and vanilla. Flavors are breathtaking, with a myriad of perceptions mingling with the alcohol in a dance of beauty. Scotch aged in oaken barrels, maple syrup, vanilla, smoky undertones...something like this is tough to describe. Mouthfeel is very nice, very coating on the palate. Drinkability is way up there, too. For something this high on the ABV scale, it is extremely drinkable. One to visit again and again, when that special moment calls for something truly extraordinary. Would I pay the price for a full bottle? After tasting this, I just might.

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Wow!! This reminds me more of brandy than a beer. No head, no carbonation, clear body, red hue, no lacing, and a burning sensation in the mouth and throat. The nose was caramel, malt, and most of all, alcohol and lots of it. The flavor was sweet, alcohol, but reminded me of brandy from start to finish. The texture was dry. Thanks to thedm for the opportunity to rate this one!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Woah there. I'm glad I got the chance to try this beer at the Extreme Beer Fest because I've always been curious but not curious enough to spend $100+ on a bottle of this craziness. Basicaly a beer flavored liqour. It's kind of difficult to review because it's so atypical but I'll try. A bright orange brassy color. Very clear. Of course there was no head at all on this thing. Looks inviting though. You can smell this stuff a mile away. Very strong alcohol in the nose with a super intense sweetness. The taste is much the same. Intense alcohol, intense sugariness. Mouthfeel is surprisingly good and interesting. Gets a low score with drinkabilty because it's so strong. But a good and interesting treat overall. I'm not reviewing any other beers I had at the fest due to the small sample size, but I feel like even if I had a whole bottle of this particular beer I would still only drink the small size. Enjoy at your own risk! This stuff is psycho.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

2003 bottle, purchased in 12/07 for over $200.00. Opened and consumed on 01/14/08.

Wow, where to begin? Slightly cloudy golden pour with the thickest legs this side of cough syrup. Intense aroma of alcohol. No carbonation whatsoever. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, but in a good way. Flavor is redolent of the sherry and port barrels used to age the brew. Sweet with an alcohol burn. The flavor reminded at least one person tasting with me of Harvey's Bristol Cream. Unlike any beer I have ever had. Really something else. Fifty proof beer...

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle 1016 of 2003.

I wish I didn't have to do this. Utopias barely belongs on this site. By style, not a "beer." A malted aged beverage with maple syrup that approaches cognac. So style-wise, there's nothing in this website to compare it to.

Pours like a dry sherry, more viscous than scotch or brandy, but not as thick as a liqueur. No head. The color suggests a light grade or maple syrup with a hint of ruby.

Lovely smell with loads of alcohol warmth... apricots, raisins, burnt caramel and some vine aroma.

Burst of fruit quickly warms to the woodsy round maple middle. I keep expecting some cloying mouthfeel from the maple, but it never arrives. Finishes as both fruit and maple. No residual sweetness in my sample. Unable to detect any flavor of hop that I recognize.

How does one rate the "drinkability" of something that one drinks by the ounce?

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

It's certainly not your fathers beer, now is it? From other BA ratings, I expected a beer that was either over-the-top or misunderstood. I beleive that it is both. Nevertheless, probably the most intense and serious beer that I have ever had. Aromas are mothwatering or sweet alcohol, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, barley malt, maple syrup, molassas, and a little Vick's 44 to remind us that this one does not belong in the candy aisle. Cashews and brandy bring up the rear of the aromas. Tastes very alcoholically sweet, strong, and a bit harsh initially, but then mellows over the toung and down the throat, leaving a pleasant warming in the throat without the abrasiveness that was experienced earlier in the sip. Mouth coating with flavors of those characteristics in the aroma, but with fruitiness of dates, raisons, plumbs,... The texture is slick, oily, and sugary (in a good way). One sip goes a long way as it lingers sweetly into the next sip. Clings to all surfaces in the mouth. The aftertast is far more flavorful than the initial sip. If the beer tasted this way entirely, I would rate it a 5 across the board. This beer must be treated like as a congac, perhapse a B & B. Remarkably smooth for such intensity, but powerful and intimidating neverttheless.

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

This really should not be considered a beer. It is full of maple sugar. It is definently more like a port than a beer and could really stand to age at least ten years. I bought two bottles, opened one and am putting the other away for many years before opening it. SHared the open bottle witha bunch of my homebrew buddies and we all agreed that this should be left alone to age. It is sickly sweet as is.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Sampled at Extreme Beer Fest 2004.
The "beer" is a deep coppery amber, strangely similar to scotch. Absolutely no head at all, furthering the comparison to whisky. Very attractive for an islay single malt.
The aroma has more in common with bourbon or scotch than beer. I'm not too familiar with cognac or anything else, so I base much of the spirit quality on the whisk(e)y family. Huge fusel alcohol, like hard liquor, with an underlying malty sweetness. The alcohol is strong enough to create a litght burning sensation on my eyeballs. Definite maple sugar influence adds a buttery, woody sweetness, with a strong caramel quality to the malt. Some molasses, with noticable oak and a touch of tobacco. I couldn't detect any hop presence.
The flavor starts with a heavy caramel maltiness, the alcohol punching through quickly, providing an unescapable liquor comparison. The alcoholic burn evaporates some of the subtler features, sitting on the tongue with some astringency. Hints of molasses, honey, maple sugar, and vanilla. A faint nutty woodiness claws through the alcohol in the finish, providing a rather pleasant hazelnut and almond quality, somewhat hinting towards amaretto, finishing with a last blast of alcohol burn in the swallow. A lingering, combustible alcohol presence sits on your breath, likely ignitable. Some sweet caramel and maple syrup lingers, providing a sweetness that offsets the burn somewhat. Heavy, liqueur-like body, still carbonation, and a slick, oily mouthfeel all hint towards something that isn't beer.
I guess you could call this beer, but it would find a much better home in a liquor cabinet. Rather tasty and surprisingly drinkable, despite my lack of finer appreciation for spirits, but there is no way in hell I'd pay $100+ for a bottle of this, however pretty the presentation. If I was more inclined towards aperitifs, maybe I'd drop the loot. I applaud the effort and imagination, but I'm hard pressed to think of this as beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks Marius, owner of Trinity Hall in Dallas for providing this. The pour is a nice dark-red amber with no head, but it's not carbonated so that's no matter. Aroma is very "hot", completed dominated by strong alcoholic notes. Taste is very sweetly malty mixed with lots of vanilla-oakiness. Alcohol is noticible but not as strong as I'd suspect for such a hefty beer. Very full-bodied and very heady.

The second time I've had this beer. It's interesting, but a bit overpowering.

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance:

A still brown with slight hints of red. No carbonation at all.

Smell:

Reeks of brandy. There is no odor here even reminiscent of "beer".

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Tastes like a blend of sherry & port with caramel undertones throughout. Alcohol feels stronger than 25%. Interesting, but not at all what I expected. Too much like a liquor for my tastes.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A very special thanks to GregMcQ for sharing this at the Houston BA gathering at his house.

This beer is nothing like I've ever seen before its almost hard to call it beer but thats what it is. Poured a nice dark amber color and produced no head at all. The smell is of strong alcohol upfront thats very noticeable kinda like a bourbon. The taste is very similar to the smell in that the alcohol hits you first then the sweet malt comes through with some oak flavors. The mouthfeel is a little syrupy withe no carbonation at all to it pretty smooth over all. Its hard to rate the drinkability of Utopias I think that for the unique beer that it is and the 2oz suggested serving size its good. This was a beer that I was glad that I got the opportunity to try and think every one should try this beer at least once.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Utopias MMIII from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)