Samuel Adams Utopias MMIII - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Utopias MMIIISamuel Adams Utopias MMIII

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  25.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-16-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

ObiWanKushnobi, Aug 20, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

rab53, Nov 25, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a connection that had their bottle filled up the day prior to my tasting it. The bottle and appearence of this beer was great. It smelled sweet and looked like a brandy in the glass. For all the hype of this it wasn't all that it was worked up to be. I know this beer takes a very long time to be brewed and processed but wasn't something that I'd be willing to go out and purchase on my own to have a bottles. Jim Koch is a great guy I've met him a couple of times but this beer if you want to call it a beer more of a brandy to me wasn't what I was looking for from a Sam Adams. The good points of this beer is you can't tell that its 25% alcohol. And you don't need much of it at all to tell if you really enjoy it or if its just not your beer.

Kenny411, Feb 21, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +17%

I was lucky to spot a bottle of this at Plan B in Simsbury, Ct tonight. Despite the price ($30 for a snifter glass) I had to try it because...well...why not? Glad I did. Just plain fun.

Like everyone else has already stated, yes, it's more of a Cognac than a beer. It comes in a beautiful copper bottle and pours with no absolutely zero carbonation. It has a ruby copper color to it much like a brandy or scotch.

The smell is like a maple syrup flavored brandy, but the maple aroma is subtle not overpowering. It reminded me of Grand Marnier somewhat (I mean that as a compliment).

The taste is very much like the aroma, a good Cognac with subtle maple syrup overtones. It has a sharp alcohol aftertaste like a brandy, but not as much bite as a Scotch Whiskey.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Yummy!

Drinkable? Yes, if you are a beer enthusiast, this is interesting and a lot of fun. Be prepared to pay though. I give Utopia high marks because it's different and adventurous. Is it technically a beer? I don't know. Either way, thanks Sam Adams!

Puttenham, Dec 24, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

As many have said this beer is more like a sherry or cognac it has a beautiful bouquet and the taste is warm and smooth. The maple syrup used in the brewing process is mildly perceptible and also lends a caramel taste at the finish. Despite its sweetness I didn't find it to be too cloying or overpowering and heavy like some barley wines.

In a world of extreme beers this one is very high on the list. I am fortunate enough to have another bottle of the same year cellering for future use and I can't wait.

edbeer, Jul 14, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A very special thanks to GregMcQ for sharing this at the Houston BA gathering at his house.

This beer is nothing like I've ever seen before its almost hard to call it beer but thats what it is. Poured a nice dark amber color and produced no head at all. The smell is of strong alcohol upfront thats very noticeable kinda like a bourbon. The taste is very similar to the smell in that the alcohol hits you first then the sweet malt comes through with some oak flavors. The mouthfeel is a little syrupy withe no carbonation at all to it pretty smooth over all. Its hard to rate the drinkability of Utopias I think that for the unique beer that it is and the 2oz suggested serving size its good. This was a beer that I was glad that I got the opportunity to try and think every one should try this beer at least once.

armock, Jun 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

2003 bottle, purchased in 12/07 for over $200.00. Opened and consumed on 01/14/08.

Wow, where to begin? Slightly cloudy golden pour with the thickest legs this side of cough syrup. Intense aroma of alcohol. No carbonation whatsoever. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, but in a good way. Flavor is redolent of the sherry and port barrels used to age the brew. Sweet with an alcohol burn. The flavor reminded at least one person tasting with me of Harvey's Bristol Cream. Unlike any beer I have ever had. Really something else. Fifty proof beer...

charlzm, Mar 02, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -1%

Bottle Inspection: The very cool copper boil kettle bottle, with sliding doors, is one of the best packaging I’ve seen for a beer. Screw off top reveals a standard bottle cap which opened without any pop at all.

Aroma: Strong alcohol, but maple, leather, and some whiskey notes make it very complex. Paint thinner intensity made me fear the kick that was coming.

Appearance: Headless shoe leather brown with good clarity and legs that went all the way to heaven. It seemed like it just wanted to give the glass a solid clear coat. Amazing legs.

Flavor: The feared kick was long delayed, in fact at first swallow I never felt the alcohol until about mid chest when the bomb went off instantly warming me. Maple is the strongest flavor, but very little sweetness. Whiskey and mild leather notes round it out, it really is closer to a maple liqueur.

Mouthfeel: Flat, but seemed very appropriate. A bit slick and light in body. Again, closer to a whiskey feel.

Overall Impression: Wow. I guess the major question is: is it worth it? I never thought it would be, but I see the value in this beer. It’s a small glass sipper for sure. For a suitable celebration, I could see dropping the money. Maple is a preferred flavor for me, so it really worked for me.

Major thanks to Marius, owner of Trinity Hall in Dallas for providing this. A very gracious nod to our BA gathering.

HardTarget, May 13, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks Marius, owner of Trinity Hall in Dallas for providing this. The pour is a nice dark-red amber with no head, but it's not carbonated so that's no matter. Aroma is very "hot", completed dominated by strong alcoholic notes. Taste is very sweetly malty mixed with lots of vanilla-oakiness. Alcohol is noticible but not as strong as I'd suspect for such a hefty beer. Very full-bodied and very heady.

The second time I've had this beer. It's interesting, but a bit overpowering.

allengarvin, May 12, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

WoodyChandler is a Saint! Thank you friend, for sharing this with me. I love sweet. I love maple and vanilla. I love boozy brandy-like alcohol (I drink my night cap every night) This Utopias is everything I love and I love everything about it.
That said.
It is not beer - (technically it is I know) but It is Maple brandy liquor as I see it. It is 50 proof. It looks like a bourbon, it smells like brandy and it tastes like only something called Utopias could (essentially calling it self perfection). Some people have said it tastes like the Triple Bock but I have never had that one, so, I must say this is like nothing I have ever had before and is only even comparable to top self liquor. I have paid 75 - 85 dollars for a bottle of Scotch but curently $125 for a bottle of 'Maple Liquor' is ... well, it something I may not have had the opportunity to enjoy yet, if not for the amazing generosity of my man Woody.

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with no head or lacing it is what I'd except in the appearance of a brandy. Excellent clarity.

Smell: The aroma of Bourbon Barrel vanilla bean, and maple, and caramel, a hint of pecan and butter and *booze* ... lots of maple booze it excites every cell in my body just thinking about it.

Taste: Queue the music.
I wanted fall to my knees right there in Woody's kitchen and throw my hands in the air, "I have seen the light" would come bellowing out of soul, but I restrained myself. If you have ever heard 'Angels We have Heard on High' sung in 4 part harmony by a huge congregation It goes Angels we have heard on high... etc ... in reply Echoing their joyous strains - and then sopranos take off on the chorus with Glooo OOOO oooo OO o oooo ooria meanwhile the chello plucks out the harmonizing line - while the baritones gently harmonize in step with Glor-ia is thy name oh ... UTOPIAS ;-)
Well, that moment is the only way I can describe this Utopias. In both cases every single hair on my arms stand on end. I get the goose bumps and chills run up and down my back and a fully satisfying moment and feeling where all is right every takes over my entire being to the deepest level.
How to describe the flavor that causes this reaction? Well, it is rich and syrupy with an exceptionally smooth body that delivers the flavor of oak wood barrel vanilla, bourbon, caramel, cherries - or a splash of port with other subtle fruits. Although it is boozy the mouthfeel seems more driven by the sweetness than any alcohol burn. It would be a perfect nightcap and a regular of mine at $49. For me personally, this is RIGHT ON! At $125 ... well, it would be perfect if money were no object at this point.

Thanks Again Woody!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Nov 20, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

It's certainly not your fathers beer, now is it? From other BA ratings, I expected a beer that was either over-the-top or misunderstood. I beleive that it is both. Nevertheless, probably the most intense and serious beer that I have ever had. Aromas are mothwatering or sweet alcohol, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, barley malt, maple syrup, molassas, and a little Vick's 44 to remind us that this one does not belong in the candy aisle. Cashews and brandy bring up the rear of the aromas. Tastes very alcoholically sweet, strong, and a bit harsh initially, but then mellows over the toung and down the throat, leaving a pleasant warming in the throat without the abrasiveness that was experienced earlier in the sip. Mouth coating with flavors of those characteristics in the aroma, but with fruitiness of dates, raisons, plumbs,... The texture is slick, oily, and sugary (in a good way). One sip goes a long way as it lingers sweetly into the next sip. Clings to all surfaces in the mouth. The aftertast is far more flavorful than the initial sip. If the beer tasted this way entirely, I would rate it a 5 across the board. This beer must be treated like as a congac, perhapse a B & B. Remarkably smooth for such intensity, but powerful and intimidating neverttheless.

BEERchitect, Nov 16, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Drawn from a firkin it seems, at the 2005 EBF. A nice score indeed. This is one I have been dying to try. The pour was liberal, perhaps too liberal in fact, with my sample cup more than half way filled! This is a pretty brew. Flat, yes, but pretty none-the-less. Dark reddish amber, and very Cognac-like in appearance, how can one turn away. The aromas jump out at you whilst you take in the colour of this brew. Yes, they are that strong and seem to shout things like Alcohol!, Sugar!, Raisins!, Sherry!, Port!, Cognac!, Malts, and Plums! The taste is burning and singing with alcohol, but in a good way like a fine strong port, or a nice French Cognac. The taste is all alcohol, molasses, other sugars, dark fruits, nuts, syrups, and more. Truly a "beer" to behold. Mouthfeel is liquor-like and coating and the drinkability is actually quite good for a beer that you drink by the shot, or snifter. Truly a one-of-a-kind brew. I hope every BA gets to try this, without having to spend $100!

francisweizen, Jan 31, 2005
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Utopias MMIII from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)