Juniper IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Juniper IPAJuniper IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: socon67 on 09-29-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper IPA Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -63.5%

1.55/5  rDev -54.7%

White head. Gold in color.

Flavor profile is just awful. Sticky hops. A lot of stickiness. Burnt plastic. Rubbing alcohol. Just gross. Tons of bready malts. Gross spices (juniper).

I took one sip of this and knew it was going to be a struggle finishing it. This one is just awful. Avoid.

1.55/5  rDev -54.7%

I was utterly disgusted the moment this vitriolic waste offended my taste palette. I enjoyed a sampler of the Samuel Winter Seasonal offerings, but this stuck out as the most utterly repulsive drink I have ever had the misfortune of placing in my mouth. I am genuinely convinced that any positive review of the beer comes from a misplaced attempt at sophistication. I will stick to Miller High Life while you all enjoy your highly overrated flow of piss-brau.

1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

1.96/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

A: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a typical 16oz pint glass. Crystal clear copper/amber in color with a fluffy white head that sticks to the sides of the glass for a decent amount of time. One thing Sam Adams always nails is the appearance. Never had a bad looking pint from these guys and this is no exception.

S: Pretty strong juniper/pine sap aroma with a bit of hops in the background and the typical sweet malt smell. Smells like some gin in a beer. It's alright but nothing special I guess.

T: Not very good at all. The hop flavor tends to lean towards the earthy and pine side and the juniper is not helping things at all. Pretty much tastes like a cheap IPA (Harpoon comes to mind) with a punch of pine sap. The malt does nothing to keep the beer balanced. Not very drinkable in my opinion.

M: Not as bad as the taste. Not much else to say about the mouthfeel.

O: I had a bad feeling I was not going to enjoy this beer going into it. It's worth noting that I'm not a big juniper fan nor am I a big gin fan. I don't despise it, but I don't love it either. I thought Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale wasn't bad (then again that was years ago) but this is pretty awful. I understand what they were going for, but why make it an IPA? I think if they toned down the juniper and hops and made it a standard pale with a bigger malt base there would be more success to be had. This is just a bitter mess and not in a good "hoppy bitter mess" way. I love you Boston Beer Company but PLEASE swap out this abomination for Holiday Porter again. Hell, just put Holiday Porter in 6 packs so I don't have to buy 12 packs of Juniper IPA and Chocolate Cherry Bock. 4 beers right there that will sit in my fridge for months. Thanks!

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

Juniper IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)