Larine Grand 95 - Brouwerij Martens NV

Larine Grand 95Larine Grand 95

poor

Brouwerij Martens NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MrHungryMonkey on 11-25-2008)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Wrigfen

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The can indicated best consumed on date, and then on the bottom was a paper label that said 10/12/2012. Not sure what all that meant. The beer was an average to below average tasting beer. Do not interpret this as horrible as I would drink it again. It is just that we are so lucky to have so many great beers we get to be picky. If you want a real strong beer without a heavy feel or taste then this would be a 4++ on that merit. But for me I want all of that with a nice rich taste too and that is where the beer is lacking. I have 5 more 500ml cans to drink and I might add more at a later date. Would not rule out buying again as it does not fill me and it packs a punch. It is just when I am paying for and drinking beer that is premium priced it should taste like it is a premium too otherwise I just can get 40% alchohol.
Will see in time. Not one of my favs, but not an absolute bust either. Try it, buy one I would like to hear other opinions.
Cheers!

03-07-2013 01:39:48 | More by Wrigfen
chinchill

South Carolina

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

,5L can served in a Unibroue (sorry Unibroue) snifter. Pours clear yellow-golden in color with a small, short-lived, soapy head. A boozy, floral lager that is not nearly enough like a typical Belgian Strong Pale Ale, let alone a good one. Very sweet and floral aroma of light grain; remains rather sweet in tasting. No sign of traditional Belgian yeast or spiciness. This is much more like a cheap Eastern European strong pale lager.

12-01-2012 23:32:52 | More by chinchill
jtierney89

Pale straw color, good clarity and a fluffy white head that thundering out very quickly. Decent lacing.

Flowery and plastic scents on the nose. Some fruit and soap. Subtle, off but nowhere close to offensive.

Medium body with some effervesence. Sweet grain up front. Thinning out a bit on the finish. Slight warming sensation on the swallow. Not a good beer, but not nearly as bad as everyone else is making it out to be. For such a a pale and close to bland beer, you barely detect the dangerous 9.5 percent. Tastes like a Stella minus the skunk and with a bit of kick. Ill take this over a Stella in fact anyday.

I'm not saying this is a good beer. on merit of flavor its pretty lame. But for a dollar and fifty scent pint at 9.5 abv, ill take it.

Again, ABV content or not, still tastes better than Stella. Gotta give these guys credit for making such a big drinkable brew.

06-18-2012 03:39:06 | More by jtierney89
Hopstamon

2.48/5  rDev -9.5%

I was interested and made curious by the low price for a "Belgian" beer. Figured it was too good to be true.
Turns out it is what it is... If you are looking for a high abv beer... this has it a 9.5%, but do not think you are getting into a Belgian flavor profile. It is similar to a punched up Stella...in my opinion.
If you go into it with that in mind this can be a refreshing tasteful brew.
I may stock a few of these in the fridge for the "right " time and place to slug them.

05-22-2012 01:37:02 | More by Hopstamon
IrishGermanAmerican

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

05-11-2012 12:49:10 | More by IrishGermanAmerican
metter98

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that quickly died down but patches of bubbles on the surface never completely disappeared because they were replenished by rising bubbles from the carbonation. There is also a thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of malt liquor in the nose along with some hints of sweetness.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, but the flavors are stronger and it isn’t quite as palatable. Flavors of alcohol are prominent in the finish and linger through the aftertaste.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer definitely tastes like a Belgian version of a malt liquor. It’s on par with the common American equivalents, but could be a change of pace if you’re into this style and want to try something different, especially since it’s cheap and comes in a can.

04-24-2012 00:00:19 | More by metter98
xavier390

04-13-2012 22:09:43 | More by xavier390
zeff80

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a clear, golden-yellow color with a one-finger, fizzy head of white foam. It left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - It smelled of caramel and damp grasses.

T - It tasted of spices and alcohol. Very sweet and nothing like any Belgian ale I've had before.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a boozy alcohol warmth.

O - This is a bizarre Belgian ale. Seemed like a malt liquor.

03-09-2012 02:25:07 | More by zeff80
MNJR

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Fruity, boozy, not much character. Some metallic flavors, too. Lacks decent carbonation. This is something you drink when you just want a buzz really fast, not to enjoy the flavor. It's really not horrible considering what it is, but one in your lifetime will probably be enough. It is cheap and full of alcohol, and not as bad as the average corn-syrupy American malt liquors.

03-08-2012 23:05:40 | More by MNJR
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Presentation: 500ml can...9.5% abv, and it says 'Belgium Beer', yah, that's right, not 'Belgian Beer', but BELGIUM Beer on it...as much as I hate hipsters and doing things ironically, I have to admit that I bought this to drink in just such a fashion...Gotta say, my expectations are pretty low for this $2.50 example of what I'm assuming is probably the Belgian equivalent of the lowest grade malt liquor...

Appearance: Rich deep golden brew with medium carbonation and a small white head. Looks like malt liquor...

Smell: A bit of Champagne-like fruitiness, with sweet, adjuncty alcohol, and some metallic notes as well.

Taste: Yup, and here's where it gets bad. Bitter, sharply alcoholic, sweet, corny, and a whole lot of metallic yech.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, boozy.

Overall: Yup, about what I expected. Would easily drink a Mickey's, Olde English, or...well, pretty much most American Malt Liquors over this. Just not good.

This is a D, no question about it.

12-31-2011 02:22:28 | More by BedetheVenerable
russpowell

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

Think I got a bottle of this from Twiggamortis420 in a trade, but lost my notes. BiergartenK gave this me & sort of dared me to try it. Here's to beers from the past not quite remembered & a double-dog dares ( Freddy just said it was really unusual )...

Pours a murky brown with no head. Some viscosity to this

S: Apple peel, rot-gut apple schnapps, woody notes,& methanol

T: Tastes similar liquid malt extract that has sat around too long, a touch of caramel, diecetyl, & booze up front & some pear & brown/burnt sugar notes. A flavor similar to apples soaked in brown sugar & the cheapest vodka available, much dryness. Finishes dry, fruitty, & brown sugar, & some woody & leafy hops showing up way too late to the party

MF: Chewy with negligible carbonation, no hops to really balance this out, skews towards cloying

This isn't good, but I suspect this one might have a touch of age on it, having said that 9.5% abv should hold up. I probably would've still drank this occasionally when I was stationed in Korea ( as a change of pace, I would not reccomend this a steady beer in rotation as it might make you go blind ). I've had good beer from plastic bottles (when stationed in the UK ); this is not it...

Caveat emptor

10-12-2011 13:35:07 | More by russpowell
tone77

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned be..! huh, WTF? this is not a canned beer. What's going on here? Poured from a green plastic 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a light brownish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some dark fruits, a bit of alcohol. Taste is heavy on the alcohol up front. Some fruit kicks in after the initial burn. Recomended glassware-shot glass. Feels light in the mouth and overall I was not all that impressed.

06-27-2011 10:31:41 | More by tone77
woodychandler

2.05/5  rDev -25.2%

I was out and about in Brighton Beach (Little Odessa), Brooklyn , NY yesterday and as is my wont, picked up a bunch of beers that no one else will touch. Price is not a factor, however, portability is. I had a seabag/duffel bag to carry all of the Kvass and if you think that I was going to add glass bottles to the load, you would be sadly mistaken.

Ha! A wee tiny green plastic screw-top bottle with that big an ABV and a price point designed to make even the lowest of the low salivate? It's in my wheelhouse!

I unscrewed the cap and poured a rocky two fingers of eggshell-white head that initially fell hard and then stopped itself. Color was a deep gold with NE-quality clarity. Nose was sharp and fusel as all get-out! As gas prices wax and wane, I would direct you to either fill your tank or your gullet with this one, depending on which was cheaper. This is currently cheaper and should therefore be burned as auto fuel. 11.2 oz. of pure joy! CAN a plastic bottle be fashioned into a Molotov Cocktail? If not, I know how to make a plastic bottle into a homemade silencer, using cotton wadding. Waste not, want not, kids! Mouthfeel was hot, like drinking avgas and I will never forget a 1998 foray to the fuel dump at the far end of Diego Garcia. This tasted like that place smelled. Don't anybody light a match or have an open flame! Jesus, this might be toxic (at worst) or flammable (at least). Holy F**k You Up Hard, Batman! This tasted like the components of the fuel put into Indy race cars. My brain is melting. Finish left my throat burning with a dryness indicative of a yeast strain that would not quit until every bit of fermentable sugar was gone. Jesus, I may need to lie down after this, that or operate some heavy machinery, the latter of which makes sudden sense.

05-29-2011 16:51:16 | More by woodychandler
jazzmanblue

2.2/5  rDev -19.7%

This brew recently appeared in my neighborhood, which caters to a growing Eastern Europe clientele. Unlike some of the other reviews, the bottle I have claims "Brewed and Bottled in Germany" by "Darguner Brauerei GmbH, Dargun, Germany." It is a dark brown, half liter, glass bottle with a listed abv of 10%.

The label in the picture is the same one that appears on my bottle, with the exception of "Brewed and bottled in Belgium" does not appear on the front. Neither does the abv. Both appear on the back label.

Poured into my Brother Thelonius goblet, it appears a clear golden brown. Very thin head, which lasts about 2 minutes before leaving a light trace on the sides.

The aroma gives me a light fruity scent, with a brief strong whiff of bread like notes. I did not notice any alcohol in the scent. Overall, the smell is not appetizing, and strikes me as slightly odd. The best before date is listed as 17.11.11, so it is not stale.

The initial taste made me look at the goblet with a "what was that?" glance. There is a hint of sweetness with a slight alcohol burn in the aftertaste. There are a few fruity notes in there, but they are pale and rather difficult to differentiate. This one is not making me happy.

Hate to waste a beer, but this one may wind up as a drain filler. Since I really wanted to like it, I decided to take my time with the review to let it warm up a bit and also to see how much would actually be consumed.

It is difficult to judge the mouthfeel with the alcohol burn, but this appears to be OK. Small consolation, as the flavor disappoints.

As it warms, it is becoming more palatable. Could be the alcohol buzz, as it is certainly strong enough to bring on a touch of acceptance.

Overall, I have to label this one a disappointment. Sad, because decent beers are hard to find in my area. The search continues...

05-21-2011 22:11:14 | More by jazzmanblue
coldmeat23

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Fridge chilled to approx 40 degrees
Grabbed this on a recent trip down to Austin, from Spec's. It's a 9.50%abv belgian beer in a plastic bottle that sells for $3.50 a 6-pack. What could possibly go wrong?
...Here goes nothing...

Pours a medium gold color with light hints of amber and ruby. There is no head or lacing to speak of.
(If this were a barleywine, it would actually look pretty good. As a belgian though....not so good.)

Smells of cheap port, cheaper rum, still cheaper wine and some fermented fruits. Definite hints of apple, almost cider-like, banana and pears. Huge, bread dough-like yeast notes. Hints of sugar notes and some light spice traces.

It doesn't taste as bad as the smell prepared me for, but it's still pretty bad.
Generic flavor of white fruits. No specific ones stand out, it's just a sort of bland hybrid of banana-apple-pear. Huge yeast presence. Sweet-to-dry is actually fairly balanced. Light hint of spices on the finish. A very port-like presence hangs over the whole thing.

Full-bodied with a very low level of carbonation. It's almost syrupy. (Not in a good way.)

Okay, I'd honestly rather spend my $3.50 on a 6-pk of soda pop. If I ever need a drink this bad, I'll grab some cheap vodka or something first.
You should try it, just to say that you have. Don't expect greatness, though.

05-18-2011 04:41:47 | More by coldmeat23
htomsirveaux

1.55/5  rDev -43.4%

500 mL green plastic bottle (yeah, the picture is accurate!) tried 30 May 2010. Code on back label, L1 198. Looks like it is set up to be notched for a date code but it was not notched...

Okay, basically dared myself to buy this. Found it at Specs for something like $0.80. How could I possibly go wrong? Well, unless the name is missing a 't'...

Served in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Almost no head to speak of, even with a vigorous pour that got all of the floaties into the glass. Lightly carbonated. Dark amber in color, beer seems almost green. Smells stale, oxidized, syrupy. Very syrupy. Seems like a Samichlaus gone horribly wrong (and didn't really care for Samichlaus very much). Buttery toffee, ginger bread, carrot cake, walnuts. If you had asked me before the review I would have thought this would have made a reasonably tasty dessert beer. Not so. These flavors all combine in a horrible clash. The walnuts are predominant and overripe (is that possible?). Cloyingly sweet. Reminds A of sweet Vegemite. On the plus side, the alcohol is well hidden.

Drain pour.

06-10-2010 03:32:48 | More by htomsirveaux
Mosstrooper

3.43/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from 16.9oz plastic bottle into .4l New Belgium tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep copper color with some white foam on top, but not really a "head".

Smell: Sweet candy flavors, apple, and hints of alcohol.

Taste: Begins with a sweet candy flavor, finishing with more candy sweetness that also has sweet malt hints, apple juice, and a slight alcoholic bitterness. Leaves a sweet, yeasty aftertaste in the throat after swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with light, natural carbonation and a watery, warming finish.

Drinkability: A better beer than I expected, but not too great. I wouldn't normally drink this, but the price is very cheap (less than $1 at my local Spec's) so it's well worth it.

06-07-2010 23:45:06 | More by Mosstrooper
crossovert

1.85/5  rDev -32.5%

11.2 oz green plastic bottle (elegant huh?).

Pours into my Unibroue tulip with a medium white head that initially struggles to form but turns out all right. It leaves a good amount of lacing as it recedes. The beer is a pale bronze/gold.

It smells like fruity paint thiner.

The taste is weird, it has a huge walnut flavor, with tons of caramel and a cloying sweetness. The alcohol burns.

Is this Belgium's answer to Malt Liqour? It is on par mostly with an american malt lager.

03-07-2010 01:51:21 | More by crossovert
burnerfinger

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

poured from the 12.5 oz bottle (?) into my goblet. I bought this becuase the packaging was interesting. 11.2 oz plastic bottles - HUH? plus it was only $5

a; poured like apple juice. almost totally flat and the same colour. when I first poured this I had to go back and check - wasnt sure if I had bought beer or a bad wine.

s: really smells just like a cheap wine. too sweet and all alcohol, no hops and only a convoluted cousin of maltiness to the nose

t: eeewwww! this really isn't good at all. tastes, again, like a bad wine.

m no carbonation, lots of alcohol. sort of oily.

d: I dont imagine I can finish this. Definitely NOT buing this again.

11-03-2009 01:53:06 | More by burnerfinger
roblowther

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Belgian Ale in a plastic green bottle with chunky cap. Should be interesting. The engineer in me understands and appreciates the packaging, so no points off there! Nod to Bill the Beer Guru for this one. As an added benefit, I now know that my Chimay goblets hold exactly 500ml, as the beer is only held in place by surface tension. Darker than I expected with no real head. It sounds fizzy when poured but doesn't appear so after the deed is done. Smells of caramel with a slight banana aroma. Definite sugar there. Taste is very much caramel. Not much else, really. A one-hit wonder and that wonder is the caramel candy squares you remember from childhood. Mouthfeel is soft and a bit undercarbonated. Drinkability isn't bad. The alcohol shows up in the end as a slight burn, but mostly it hides behind the caramel. An interesting one. A bargain (or so Bill tells me). Not a go-to beer but maybe a good "keep the cost down on hosting the party" beer. Still, in the end refreshing and drinkable. I find it grows on me as I drink more.

11-01-2009 17:13:45 | More by roblowther
Spineypanda

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

I wont rate this beer badly because of its price, which is extremely cheap. It is definitely not the best beer I have ever had, but at 9.5% alcohol (which you can taste heavily) it will get the job done.

Its a nice amber color with a decent head that lingers for quite some time. It has smells and tastes of honey and spices, and just a little of the Belgian fling.

Is a bit dense and leaves your stomach feeling... full.

I bought it for the third time just because I could!

10-04-2009 07:17:51 | More by Spineypanda
TheNapkin

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The Natural Ice of Belgian beers?

I bought this beer as a joke (which I fully intended to play on myself in a moment of quiet desperation) at Spec's in Houston. $1.34 for a 17-ounce 9.5% ABV Belgian that comes in a plastic bottle with a clunky screw top? WTF? This beer was either going to turn out to be the great shame of Belgian beers or its best kept secret.

As it turns out, the beer isn't half bad. In fact, it's half good! While it's not terribly exciting in the mouthfeel, has zero head after about 30 seconds in the glass, and does little to mask the presence of the alcohol, this is, for all intents and purposes, the poor man's stab at a dubbel and a half (that would a dubbel that's approaching a tripel), and it's a hell of a lot better than other poor man's beers (i.e. Budweiser, Miller, etc.). While it's not as dark or thick as a traditional dubbel, the malt characters are dead on: sweet candy sugar, raisins, figs, and caramel, but with a hint of cidery dryness. Maybe I'll get attacked for saying this, but it reminds me of the DeDolle Mad Bitch.

I honestly believe that a lot of people will hate this beer based on the power of suggestion alone--it doesn't look classy (because of the packaging) and it's cheap, so it must, therefore, be disgusting, right? Wrong. Logic does not dictate here. With this beer, you actually get more than you pay for, which doesn't happen much these days, especially if you're a thirsty beer advocate.

Maybe this beer marks the beginning of the end for Belgian beer snobbery. Maybe not. All I can tell you is that while I won't be buying a case of this beer any time soon, I fully intend to finish the entire bottle. (And who knows? Next time I'm strapped for cash, maybe I'll stock up a few bottles.) I've spent $6 or $7 on bottles that I couldn't finish (and a few that I paid a whole lot more for that I forced myself to choke down), so factoring in how much I paid for this one, I'm not disappointed in the least.

09-01-2009 03:28:36 | More by TheNapkin
czechsaaz

Washington

2.8/5  rDev +2.2%

O.K. It's a Belgian beer in a plastic bottle with a screwcap. It's also >$2. Totally worth trying.

Appearance, it's a soda bottle. Trying not to denigrate it for that but it just feels like a Pepsi in my hand when I pop the cap. It pours flat looking. I saw a little head while I was pouring it but there's no head when I'm done. No rising carbonation. No life at all.

Aroma is powerfully sugary. There's a little honey malt but no hops and a ton of sugar.

Flavor is O.K. Lots of fruity malt and yeast but very little hops. Has a Belgian yeast character that is spicy and estery.

It's kind of syrupy and flat in the mouth so the body seems kind of big.

This is a tough one. I don't dislike it but then again I can't imagine ever wanting another one. It's just short of O.K. on so many levels.

05-18-2009 06:47:48 | More by czechsaaz
bshirley

3.85/5  rDev +40.5%

This was purchased at a Spec's liquor store in Houston. 1 Pint, .9 Fl Oz. (half liter) green plastic bottle. Decanted into a Chimay glass, still at refrigerator temp.

Clear and golden in color. An initial weak head which dies down to sit on the surface. The carbonation is not vigorous.

Initially yeasty (i recall a previous one smelling sulphur-y from the bottle, but not this one). Slight banana.

A strong alcohol taste with hints of plum, currant and maple. (I just woke from a nap, is my palette wonky?) Sweet. The alcohol and maple increased as it warmed.

The mouthfeel is light with fine bubbles but flat.

Drinkable and refreshing even when it's telling you that it's a strong beer.

Addendum: Disparaging this beer because of plastic packaging is nearsighted in my opinion. There are many times when I can't or don't want to have glass with me. Plastic is just as reasonable solution as aluminum for beers that aren't supposed to be set aside for a while. The brewer notes a 1-year shelf life on their web site. Also, for shipping long distances, the weight savings of not using glass are substantial. An inexpensive Strong Belgian Pale Ale that is not the best but still good and prices in at $25 for 24 half-pints is a bargain!

05-07-2009 20:01:27 | More by bshirley
skeetermoses

3.18/5  rDev +16.1%

Probably the least impressive belgian beer I have ever consumed. Was most definately not impressed, very high abv and you can taste it. For some odd reason this beer seemed cheap to me, almost like a bad beer, not impressed and will not be purchasing again.

05-04-2009 23:33:26 | More by skeetermoses