Larine Grand 95 - Brouwerij Martens NV

Larine Grand 95Larine Grand 95

poor

Brouwerij Martens NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MrHungryMonkey on 11-25-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.18/5  rDev +16.9%

Probably the least impressive belgian beer I have ever consumed. Was most definately not impressed, very high abv and you can taste it. For some odd reason this beer seemed cheap to me, almost like a bad beer, not impressed and will not be purchasing again.

skeetermoses, May 05, 2009
2.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Mmm, nothin' says fine Belgian ale more than a 16.9 oz green plastic bottle! Pours a fairly clear light gold color with a thin, fizzy white head. Not much in the way of retention or lacing.

Smells ok, with melon fruitiness leading the way...honeydew, watermelon and crisp green apples. Alcohol notes are strong, making me wonder if this is such a good idea. Mild hints of light grainy malt and ever so slight grassy hops. The nose is probably the best aspect of the beer.

Sweet grainy flavor and very boozy. If Belgium has homeless people under the overpasses, this is what I would imagine they drink. Alcohol is very noticeable and damn near hot running down the back of the throat. Fruity notes are mainly cidery and acidic. Not an overly enjoyable drinking experience, but was not expecting too much from a $1.50 green plastic bottle. At least I think I'll be able to finish off the bottle! Does not rate high as a Belgian Pale, but is excellent as a Malt Liquor.

twiggamortis420, Feb 24, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +42.6%

Not just in a bottle, but a green plastic bottle.
I still don't have a snifter, tulip or wine goblet. I know I'm slacking off. I decided to use a flute, but not just any flute...a Veltins Pilsner flute.

Lovely honey-straw color with 3 fingers of billowy white head and hardly any lacing.

Smell is sweet, fruity, almost like a spumante. Very floral

The flavor is malty and a little fruity with a slight hint of petrol. Maybe I'm imagining the petrol, but there is something in the end that isn't quite right.
That being said I'm having a pretty easy time downing this beer. This could be a problem. Were it not for the ABV I would give this ale a higher drinkability.

aeminter, Feb 18, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +59.9%

I gotta say I was impressed with this

Bought it at a local Spec's (booze superstore...awesome beer selection)

Bought it on a whim. Thought it looked kinda crazy. Came in a green plastic bottle, like Sprite. Or the plastic bottles of Bud or Miller Lite beer you see at a sporting events to prevent glass breakage.

I figured, what the heck, they were selling it in singles to promote it. So why not, no need to buy a sixer and end up with 5 undrunk bottles in the fridge. 1 bottle was $1.35...I'm in.

Plus it's a half liter, although it is American-ized...says 16.9 oz

Plus I generally like Belgian Ales..and this was 9.5% alcohol...thus the name" Grand 95. A pretty heavy beer.

Poured it in a Chimay glass and let it sit for a few. And man, what a surprise. Rich sweet aroma, full body, kinda sweet on the back end. Not exactly a Chimay or a Duvel but it was WAY more than I expected from a plastic bottle of beer.

Definitely goes toe to toe with the New Begian stuff like Abbey or the seasonal 2 Below.

Plus at 8 bucks for a six pack of half liters...can't beat that. 3 liters of Belgian beer goodness that packs a bit of a wallop. This one is sweet and smooth...so be careful. You might end up a bit tipsy

fishbulb, Jan 07, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -13.6%

This is certainly be the largest-ABV beer I've consumed from a plastic bottle.

Nose is slightly grainy, mostly clean and dry. Kind of bread-like with minor roast beef notes. Smells marginal.

Pours a medium gold color, good clarity, mild head with minimal retention. Looks uninteresting.

Moderate malty flavor - mostly grainy with bread and corn notes. Some fruit - grape-like with a generic apple vibe. Mild alcohol grows with warmth. Thick body is fairly flat. Finishes fairly clean. Tastes kind of unpleasant.

Tastes like the beer-equivalent to a cheap frozen dinner and the bottle holds 16.9 fluid ounces! I guess I was expecting something along the lines of a Tripel. This is more like a Belgian Malt Liquor. How odd.

MrHungryMonkey, Nov 25, 2008