Willianbräu Weizen - Brouwerij Martens NV

Willianbräu WeizenWillianbräu Weizen

Brouwerij Martens NV visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Hoppsbabo on 03-24-2012)
Reviews by RuudJH:
2.78/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

New weizen found it's way to my local supermarket.
Quite cheap. Under 1 euro for 0,5 liter can.
I'm a fan of wheat beers, and I've tasted a lot of them by now.
Cloudy golden yellow, with creamy head. Looks very good.
Smell of fruit, banana, citrus, some biscuit too. It's good, but a bit faint.
Tast is rough. Like raw wheatflour, and sharp aftertaste. The banana and citrus are overpowered by that.
Overall I find this disappointing. It's a weizen, you can drink it a lot, but hardly enjoyable.

RuudJH, Dec 28, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +8.8%

Can of 500 ml, at home. Bought in the Netherlands, quite cheap.
Huge head at first, but quite solid, with good retention. The colour is that of honey, but a lot paler. The beer is non-transparent but not as hazy. The head eventually became one finger tall. Very few bubbles in the glass.
Smell of fruts and especially bananas.Some citrus too.
The taste is sweet, refreshing and fruity, leaving an even more sweet aftertaste. Some bubblegum traces too.
Average thickness on the body, carbonation also average. Leaves a dryness on the palate.
Overall, not bad at all, much much better than other more exensive weizen beers out there. I would recommend it any day.

Douberd, Apr 27, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +6.2%

park0771, Tuesday at 02:03 PM
2.9/5  rDev -9.4%

Found this as cheap as chips in a run down supermarket in Gwangju, Korea.

APPEARANCE: Pours beautifully. Reminds me of the old guinness adverts. Leaves an almighty five finger head. Pretty straw colour, almost opaque.

TASTE: First gulp I get generic banana wiessbier with an extra fermented flavour which I'm not sure how to describe it in beer terminology, but it reminds me of the fenny I drank in India. It's less upfront after a few more swigs. The flavour somewhat shallow, but pleasant and sharp on the tongue. A bit of a cheap lagerness to it but there's enough going on with the other flavours to counter it. Bready aftertaste. Closer to the bottom the banana gets stronger and there's a very subtle hint of vanilla. The pretty three finger head lingers for the best part. Not the prettiest lacing but loads of it. Not a bad tasting beer at all.

OVERALL: It's cheap and naff looking in its gaudy yellow can and it's obvious not a lot of love went into it, but it's still a decent session beer at that price, especially in a country like Korea.

Hoppsbabo, Mar 24, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +7.2%

Ok so here is a disclaimer: I am reviewing this beer with my judgment clouded by the fact that it is super cheap and I am in Korea where the local beer is awful.

Bought a can for 1800 won (less than 2 bucks!!!)

I cant speak to appearance as I drank it from the can.

Smell-Banana

Taste-Starts with banana sweetness (which I love and it is why I like Hefes so much) and theres hints of clove but eventually gives way to an aftertaste that is almost medicinal. Definitely not a pleasant after taste and it hangs around for a bit unfortunately.

Mouthfeel-Medium body not much carbonation

Overall- For two bucks this beer is really good. If it were 5 bucks I would be disappointed. I will probably be drinking it here and there while I am in Korea but I just found a place that sells Weihenstephaner so i'll probably be going there to get my hefe fix. If you are in Korea and are sick of their awful beer and also broke as fuck, I would recommend Willianbrau Weizen.

Brew_42, Jun 02, 2014
Willianbräu Weizen from Brouwerij Martens NV
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.