Martens Witte - Brouwerij Martens NV

Martens WitteMartens Witte

good

Brouwerij Martens NV visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: LiquidAmber on 09-16-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Vancoubeer:
2.98/5  rDev -14.9%

Grabbed this in a can for basically, "how bad could it be?" Out of the can it pours very clear and in the glass it is quite filtered and the head disappeared quickly. Once I drank my class and poured out the rest, the sediment was poured out. The smell is quite nice. You really get the orange peel. The taste was watery at best and there is a sweetness but not the citrus I was hoping for. It was a sub 3 dollar can so I cannot be to picky. However it does taste the way it should but its below average. The mouthfeel is also average. Its not flat but not carbonated. Its flaw is its very wet...instead of that dry feeling you get with high end Wit beers. Meh...its an average beer but its not bad. I mean its better than literally every American Pale Lagers on the market today. So with that said, I will drink this over any of the macros we come across at the average social event and or sporting event.

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%

Martens is a Belgian wheat beer that takes a different path than a beer like Hoegaarden (which I love). Hoegaarden to me has a really tasty coriander taste to it with a hint of orange. This beer gives me more of an orange/lemon taste to it with a hint of spice to it. Hoegaarden to me is more spice and then citrus and this is the opposite of that. This beer is ok, it isn't my favorite wheat beer but it is enjoyable to drink. It has a wet sort of mouth feel and it is pleasant. I'd drink it again but Hoegaarden costs less and I like it more. I was able to get a 16ounce can for $2 while a 12ounce bottle of hoegaarden is under $1.50. I love trying new things out. Add another one to my list of tried beers. :)

4.41/5  rDev +26%

Compared to the other dozen witbiers I've tried this one is my favorite. The price is good, it is unfiltered and has more flavor out of the can than any other of this style. I was compelled to review this one because it was obvious that many of the reviewers obviously did not like this style so they gave it a low rating. Witbiers are not supposed to blow your socks off, they are supposed to be refreshing with a light citrusy, spicy flavor that is easy drinking. This one has a pleasant aromatic aroma of coriander and lemons and tastes perfect with a pronounced coriander and lemon zest aftertaste that makes you want to take another drink. Perfect for the style. and comes in a 16 ounce can.

3.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If Hoegaarden is the "standard" by which other commercial witbiers are judged, then this is quite different. I'm not big on canned beers but found this one to be OK from the can. It has a nice yeasty, wheat beer smell but very mild. I was somewhat surprised at the above average amount of head it produces. Appearance is pale yellow with cloudiness. The taste is mild without the over spicing of others, with a hint of citrus and coriander. The surprising sweetness in the finish I like, not dry as expected. Overall, a nice beer for a hot day but a little expensive for a canned beer in my opinion. I would certainly recommend trying it.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. can. Has a whiteish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some hints of citrus. Taste is good, citrus, spice, some wheat, lots of flavor and very easy drinking. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overallis a refreshing and enjoyable beer.

3.64/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Martens Witte is a spicy, citrussy wheat beer. Usually I like beer with big flavour, but I didn't love this one.

A: Cloudy straw colour and a 5 mm head that lasts pretty well. 4

S: Weak aroma of yeast and some spices. 3.5

T: Nice wheaty base and a very strong flavour of spices. Some citrus tang too that I didn't particularly like. This would be a nice summer beer, though. 3.75

M: Low carbonation. 3.5

O: 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light yellow amber with a thin, fine white head with good retention and slippery lacing. Pleasant aroma of wheat and cloves, almost floral. Flavor is sweet, light wheat and cloves with a light bitter clove finish. Flavor is very light and attenuated. A bit too sweet, but the dominant wheat and clove flavor has a floral element that is rather unusual. The finish is a weird combination of dry wheat and an underlying light, but cloying sweetness. Body is light, appropriate to the style, nice carbonation. It tastes as if cane syrup was added to a pleasant understated light wheat beer.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Very hazy with just a 1/4 inch of head that settles. Color is a nice yellow.
S - Smells of spicy coriander, orange and lemon peel, with classic wheat.
T - Not as strong yet as spicy as I expected the wheat takes a back seat while the coriander is mild. I like the orange peel aspect its bitter but strong. Tasty.
M - Light as crisp as expected.

Overall after being disappointed by the pilser this beer is quite tasty but still far from the best in style. I would drink it again since it was around 2 bucks for the pounder.

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a massive white colored head.

Smells spicy with a big pepper scent. Mint and clove aromas. Coriander but no banana scented.

Starts out mildly sweet and spicy. Flavors of pepper and coriander and a faint cookie dough flavor. tasty but mild.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall certainly worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a fluted pilsner glass.

Look: Hazy, cloudy faded yellow color with sediment floating about. A fluffy white head that recedes to a soapy film. Light lacing.

Aroma: Sweetness, fruity notes, spiciness, mint.

Taste: A very minty beginning, sweet malts, butter, faint earthy fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly dry.

Overall: The minty and spicy touch made this good.

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Here was another CAN, courtesy of local, in-person trader, tone77. Another of his drop-offs is upcoming tonight and so I am trying to catch up prior to his arrival.

From the CAN: "Martens Beer Anno 1758"; "Traditionally Brewed"; "Belgian Wheat Beer"; "Malt beverage brewed with coriander and orange peels".

This was a beer that seemed to beg for a Crack & inverted Glug and who would I be to deny such a request? I got a fluffy finger-and-a-half of cottony, bone-white head that sat there like a petulant child. Color was a cloudy, light lemon-yellow. Nose smelled as though someone were atomizing lemon juice in my kitchen and I have to admit, the kitchen has never smelled better. Mouthfeel was soft, caressing, but way too sweet for my taste. I was reminded of when Country Time Lemonade was first released and I immediately eschewed it in favor of iced tea, indicative of my caffeine addiction. Finish had a definite white (not black) pepperiness, rendering it semi-sweet, rather than outright sweet, but still not to my liking.

3.21/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Serving type: 500 ml can. “E: 31/08/13” is printed on the bottom of the can and I assume that is a best-by date.

Appearance: Poured into a becker glass. The color is hazy, pale gold. Two fingers of buttery, eggshell-colored head left an even skim and thick ring around the edge.

Smell: Very spicy for a wit, and I assume that is because of the coriander. It smells like a saison at first. However, the spice fades and the usual wit qualities emerge. Pale malts, wheat, yeast, a splash of Radler-like lemon, and orange peel.

Taste: Light mouthfeel. The spice is noticeable at first, but it fades and tames considerably. Pale malts, wheat, Radler-like lemon, yeast, and orange peel.

Drinkability: Decent enough. I am not much of a witbier fan, but this sets itself apart from others.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad Wibier. Poured from a 16.9 oz can into a Busch Gardens Bud Select flute. Hazy pale yellow/ straw colored beer. Big delicately bubbly white head with pretty good retention. Flecks of lacing on the glass.

Smell is fairly mild mostly lemon. Taste is better than the aroma. Still mostly citrus (lemon) but there is some spicing, the orange peel, a little black pepper and cardamon are there. Some mild wheat bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel is just about right for a Wit. Light, crisp and refreshing

Overall a pretty good summer ber, but there are a lot of better Witbiers out there.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%