Josef Belgian Blonde Ale - Brouwerij Martens NV

Josef Belgian Blonde AleJosef Belgian Blonde Ale

Brouwerij Martens NV visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wedge on 07-21-2013)
1.36/5  rDev -57.4%

1.76/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

My first review in years (joined BA 11 friggin years ago and forgot I still had an account here. Wow.)

Anyway, this is an absolutely awful beer. Terrible, sweet afterstate that's cloying in a not-good way. Smells like a Belgian janitor'ass. Thin mouthfeel.

There is no reason for this beer to exist.

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

I just picked up a 6-pack at Trader Joe's, and I'm really disappointed. It tastes like a cheap German beer with a little sweetness added. It's not terrible, but absolutely not good either. I'd rather spend a few bucks more and something good. This is a mass-produced rip-off.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

2.59/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear and pale yellow, lots of little bubbles. Lacing sticks to the glass. Less carbonation than most Belgian ales. Slight floral aroma from the dry hops, far from outrageous. Thin mouthfeel, slightly metallic taste without much else happening. Dry/crisp finish. Not a lot of character here but drinkable.

2.6/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bottle poured into glass

Clear golden yellow with small stream of carbonation bubbles leading to two finger white, frothy lid. Good lacings on the way down resulting in a dense white foam.

Aroma of grassy hops with a bit of spice.

I get a predominantly metallic taste. Bitterness on the back of the tongue and after tastes. Light mouthfeel.

I like Trader Joes but this one beer I will not be repeating. $6.99 a six pack, I'll give the a mining five bottles to my nephew on Thanksgiving. He'll drink anything.

2.71/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Another TJ's bargain buy, $6 sixer. Batch # LK 3 175. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clean, clear, bright gold color with about 1/2 inch of white head that had very good retention and lots of sticky lacing.

The aroma had a very low level of the expected Belgian spicy yeast, and a very light grain scent. On the tongue, the taste was a bit bready, and a bit stale. the yeast that gives so much personality to the style was very low in this beer.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a touch on the light side, and nowhere near as sticky as some. The beer had a dry finish. Drinkability was OK, it wasn't a chore to drink, but the lack of flavor didn't have looking forward to the other 5 in the pack. Overall, not terrible, but not really worth seeking out either. Maybe grab a sixer and decide for yourself. Or not.

2.85/5  rDev -10.7%

I work at Trader Joes, so I make it a point to try everything we get in the store, beer-wise. This one really didn't get much company buzz coming in and it's been sitting on the shelf at my store for almost 2 weeks and I have yet to sell one 6er. I don't recognize the brewery, but I would assume it's something along the lines of the Belgian version of Minhas, as Minhas makes a good deal of our American made beer (Simpler Times, Boatswain, Name Tag, etc.) Let's check it out.

A: Pours a clear pale gold with a strange looking bubbly head that looks more like bubble bath water than a regular head. I've never seen bubbles this big on a head. Interesting.

S: Smells...adjuncty. Sweet cereal malts and corn with a pale malt backing. A strange, almost Fritos-like corn scent keeps coming to me when I smell this.

T: Opens sweet with honey and grain. Smooth and faint malt is pretty much all I get in the middle with a slight grassy hop flavor on the finish. Nothing horrible about it, but there's nothing in here that says Belgian to me except the label. It's alright, but there's no way I would go back to this.

330 ml bottle from Trader Joe. Pours golden with tall, foamy, white head and soda-like carbonation. Aroma is of grassy hops and biscuit malt. Body is medium and crisp. Taste is of grassy, herbal hops and bready malt. Finish is medium and slightly bitter. Simple inoffensive brew.

Josef Belgian Blonde Ale from Brouwerij Martens NV