Josef Belgian Blonde Ale - Brouwerij Martens NV

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: wedge on 07-21-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.83/5  rDev -11.6%

I work at Trader Joes, so I make it a point to try everything we get in the store, beer-wise. This one really didn't get much company buzz coming in and it's been sitting on the shelf at my store for almost 2 weeks and I have yet to sell one 6er. I don't recognize the brewery, but I would assume it's something along the lines of the Belgian version of Minhas, as Minhas makes a good deal of our American made beer (Simpler Times, Boatswain, Name Tag, etc.) Let's check it out.

A: Pours a clear pale gold with a strange looking bubbly head that looks more like bubble bath water than a regular head. I've never seen bubbles this big on a head. Interesting.

S: Smells...adjuncty. Sweet cereal malts and corn with a pale malt backing. A strange, almost Fritos-like corn scent keeps coming to me when I smell this.

T: Opens sweet with honey and grain. Smooth and faint malt is pretty much all I get in the middle with a slight grassy hop flavor on the finish. Nothing horrible about it, but there's nothing in here that says Belgian to me except the label. It's alright, but there's no way I would go back to this. (1,115 characters)

330 ml bottle from Trader Joe. Pours golden with tall, foamy, white head and soda-like carbonation. Aroma is of grassy hops and biscuit malt. Body is medium and crisp. Taste is of grassy, herbal hops and bready malt. Finish is medium and slightly bitter. Simple inoffensive brew. (279 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From Trader Joe's. No idea if this is a re-branding of some kind...

Pours a brilliantly clear pale gold with a frothy white head on top. Surprisingly hoppy aroma...spicy and floral noble hops, a little doughy pils malt, not much yeast. Effervescent, lightly yeasty flavor. Subtle apple, spicy hop bitterness, a flicker of cereal grain, honey, and some steeliness. Not a whole lot of Belgian character coming from this, but there was no yeast in the bottle. Highly carbonated, clean, medium-light in body, somewhat creamy. Overall, this is really a pretty good, quenching summertime beverage that I think was $7-8 for a sixer. Again, not the most interesting Belgian beer around - it's oddly pilsener-like - but, I'll probably be picking up more of this throughout the summer. (778 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last