2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zoetzuur Flemish Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Zoetzuur Flemish AleZoetzuur Flemish Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 11-15-2004)
View: Beers (93) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 273 | Reviews: 188 | Show All Ratings:
bobhits

Kentucky

1.89/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Avoiding the complex review. This is unique as hell to be a flanders red. I get dark cherries, apples, and cider backed by an over carbonated carbonation burst. It doesn't sounds good, but to be honest it's rather refreshing and fruit in a pretty good way. Just don't expect puckering sour or over the top vinegar notes like some of the better flanders do.

I feel less good at this beer review stuff seeing as how the bottle tells me it was made with cherries. Oh well. Spices are subtle but there.

This is an ok beer, and given the reasonable price I don't knock it, but it doesn't really meet the style expectations and it is ok not great. 13 bucks for this bottle, not awful given it is a sour.

My final score adjust slightly for the style where this is just below average and I had to score it as such. Still I enjoyed it but who doesn't enjoy a beer that isn't awful?

As I drink more the sweetness is over the top and the aroma just doesn't entice me. It has some good flavors and I recommend a SMALL tasting of this one.

Edit 2.

This is going down the drain. It has some nice flavors mixed in with just not good ones. It honestly is impossible to get past 10 oz of this which means a full 16 oz pour is going down the drain. I'd worry about an old bottle but this style shouldn't be hurt by some age. Sorry but apples and cherry a great ideas in a sour, but it has to be sour. This isn't sour. It isn't good.

04-24-2013 00:11:06 | More by bobhits
jmhart

Georgia

1.9/5  rDev -51.7%

Picked this up at Hop City based on the recommendation of many BAs.

750mL poured into a snifter shared with Mrandypandy.

A- Poured a deep mahogany, but showed some brilliant, red delicious hints when held up to the light. Not much carbonation, but that's standard.

S- Some definite acetic notes, apples, and grapes. Not the greatest sour smell, but it shows promise.

T- Apple juice. Tastes like all natural unfiltered apple juice. The kind you get at a farmer's market where they grind the apples right in front of you. Overly sweet with no sour notes at all. Really disappointing.

M- Medium bodied with not much carbonation. It's got a decent mouth feel...but so does unfiltered apple juice.

D- my tasting partner silently decided to abstain from the rest of this bottle, and I ended up pouring out my last glass. It was just not good.

08-08-2010 17:11:40 | More by jmhart
dbalsock

Vermont

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance: Poured a tan brown color with a good white head. Didn't look too active on the carbonation side of things, however.

Smell: Light chocolate taffy, vinegar, basement and the old rotting wood pile that was behing the house I grew up in. Interesting, but not good.

Taste: Raisins and vinegar come through heavily on this, which is more consistent with my experience of a flemish red ale, but again moldy basement was very present as well.

Mouthfeel: Sourish and puckering, but also a little too sharp in the back of the throat. Usually I like sour beers, but this had another sharp feeling too it that was too much for me.

Drinkability: I found this very hard to drink, but it wasn't a drain pour. Compared to any other flanders red, it's a little harder to suck down and doesn't quite match up. However, I would be willing to give this another go sometime in the future.

04-01-2007 21:29:27 | More by dbalsock
Crosling

2.45/5  rDev -37.7%

Dark copper, old currency color with a large white head aloft. Moderate Flemish Sour aroma, with mild apple aromatics and sugary fruit. Not really any oak or sour yeast chartacter, although it does smell slightly musty. Really mild overall, lacking character and depth and possessingly a mildly tart apple flavor. On the finish, however, is a very sugary, sweetened fruitiness, that begins after the swallow and is very sweet and cinnamon like. It’s very sweet overall, presumably sweetened. This is a very poor example of a Flemish Sour in my opinion. Almost laughably bad and the sweetness lingers.

04-24-2006 15:54:23 | More by Crosling
harrymel

2.48/5  rDev -36.9%

Unknown age on the bottle, but it was in the discount bin, which means it was at least one year on the shelves...

Poured to NB globe.

A: Pours a hazy mahogany ale with little to no head formation despite turbulent pour. Affluent peanut colored film is broken sans evident carbonation.

S: Raisins, prunes,,,,dark fruits dominate the nose. Quite difficult for me to discern. As advertised, sweet and sour. Very reserved as far as flemish ale's go.

T: More tart than I had anticipated. This is quite nice. However, the fruits continue to limit the appreciable flemish qualities one would anticipate. As the ale resonates, I start to sense the cherries typical of the style.

M: medium bodied, low carbonation.

D: Having a hard time enjoying this one. It's tolerable, but I wish the bottle wasn't 750ml's. ended up pouring half out.

02-06-2011 07:13:39 | More by harrymel
SeattleAdam

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

A- Finger of off white head. Red at bottom of glass and gets lighter towards the top. The rocky head dissipates just a bit and clears way for bubbles.

S- Grape soda, rasberry jam, sour, fruity lambic.

T- Hoppy burn but sour. Hits back of tounge and washes/settles to the front. Kind of a backwards effect! Very fizzy and grape. This beer will hit your nose as much as your mouth. Tastes like acidic, citrus fruit juices after brushing your teeth. Very interesting but not too pleasant.

M- I think this is a little too carbonated...to the point of fizzy. This settles in the weirdest, backwards way. Thin mouth feel.

D- I don't think I will be purchasing this again. It's drinkable in the sense that you can't taste any booze at all but it's not drinkable in the sense that it's fizzy and too acidic.

04-30-2009 04:31:43 | More by SeattleAdam
goochpunch

2.79/5  rDev -29%

Pours out a hazy rusty red. Cherry smell is pretty big up front. Faint tart smell in the background, but cherry pushes it out. Taste is interesting. Not your typical Flemish red. Has a pretty big hit of brett along with the usual tartness. The cherry is a little much. Kind of sweet too. Fairly heavy body with some stinging carbonation (although low carbonation; weird). I think I'd like this a whole lot more if it weren't for the cherry.

05-12-2013 01:48:21 | More by goochpunch
JDV

2.83/5  rDev -28%

Shared at tasting with Fly, Dewbrewer, Humulone_Red and others. Thanks guys!
Rich amber colored pour with a small beige head. Smell is lightly sour with cherry, mildish funky feet like aroma, and hints of cheese. Mild tartness and a subtle cheese like flavor in the finish, I thought. Very dry overall and with light sweetness. Went very well with the bleu cheese. Nice beer, and I'm starting to get more interested in the style. Thanks for sharing this one Alan!

03-15-2008 20:43:36 | More by JDV
Aggy360

Alaska

2.83/5  rDev -28%

A: Pours a hazy reddish brown with nice beige head. Leaves a light web-like lace on the glass

A: Slightly sour aroma. Sweet peaches and some bacteria (Lacto & Brett, I believe).

T: Tart. Sweet malts, and it seem like there is some wheaty flavors. Very mild sour cherries and some peaches.

M: Medium light body. Dry finish.

O: A well balenced Fanders Red. Easy drinker for the style, there are other sour ales that will blow it away on the pucker rating. As the beer warms more complexities come through. I would recommend this to someone who has not tried a sour ale, before introducing them to more "in-your-face" sour beers.

01-09-2010 08:07:14 | More by Aggy360
Beaver13

2.83/5  rDev -28%

750 ml bottle. Pours hazy reddish amber with a smallish creamy white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is tart sour cherries and some funky yeast with a little wood.

The flavor is sweet sugary cherries with a little sour tartness. There are some acidic cardboard notes and a bit of an odd finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's almost good. Too sweet with odd off-notes.

02-11-2013 05:30:11 | More by Beaver13
ktrillionaire

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

G – Tulip

A – Hazy red-brown, somewhat drab with a decent head from a hard pour and a wee bit of lacing.

S – For the style, only moderately sour; it smells like apple cider, white grape juice and also a bit like pink wine.

T – If it’s cold, it’s fairly unspectacular; if it warms up, it takes on a bit more liveliness. It is, regardless, disappointing. It has a wine quality to it, it is vaguely sour and fruity, it has a wheaty element, and other than that I should mention that I am not terribly impressed. It also has a red wine aftertaste, like Cabernet perhaps. The problem is that it has a very muted and mild taste, relative to the already subtle nose, and relative to the style especially. To be an optimist, I would say it is very chuggable; not necessarily what I am looking for in a Flanders Red. I would say stick with widely available sours like Petrus' Aged Pale or Oud Bruin, or Verhaeghe's Vichtenaar or Duchesse.

M – The feel is ok, but not great; somewhat thin, under-carbonated, and with a drying finish.

D – Overall, this beer is a weak example of one of the greatest styles of beer in the world.

02-13-2010 22:58:55 | More by ktrillionaire
DoubleJ

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Let's go sweet and sour tonight. On to the beer:

Poured into an oversized wine glass, this beer features a clouded light brown/tanned color. Average head retention, with polka-dot lacing sticking to the glass initially. The beer has both that sweet and sour aroma. Strawberries and caramel is the best way to put it. The grain is a little bit musty.

Very mild flavor. The flavor intensity on this one is very low to my surprise. There is a touch of that vinegary sour flavor, but it's not going to make you think it's salad dressing. Very lighty tart. A little sweet. Faint strawberry, hint of those caramel chews. Watermelon is hinted as well. I wish the flavor were more intense. Well, at loeast it feels like a Flanders Red...it has a good body, firm bubbles....no overcarbonation or thin feel. The aftertaste seems musty, and doesn't amount to anything exciting. It's drinkable, but not interesting...but I got 750 ml to drink, so away I go...

Why are you still reading this? Give this a pass.

01-15-2010 06:18:51 | More by DoubleJ
nataku00

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle poured into a tulip glass (probably 2 years old). Beer pours murky reddish brown with minimal head as a thin collar around the edges. Looks like a decent amount of very tiny bubbles streaming up from the bottom from what is visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is acetic acid, generic red berry, red apple. Actually smells like apple juice with a little balsamic vinegar mixed in.

Taste is is like apple juice tinged with vinegar and oak. If I didn't think this was beer, I'd guess it was stale apple juice.

Lighter side of medium body with some creamy mouthfeel due to the good amount of tiny carbonation. A strange beer that I doubt I would try again as there are many better Flanders red available compared to this.

05-27-2013 21:37:10 | More by nataku00
Douglas14

Pours out a dark amber color withblittle to no head. The smell is very interesting. It has a slight lactic and acetic sourness along with a meat-like quality. Partially good partially bad. On the palate it is much better. There is a slight residual sweetness to acompany the sourness that is very nice. A downside is the same aroma comes back up through the back of my nose, bringing with it the meat quality. The beer grows on me though as I drink more of it.

09-15-2010 05:32:00 | More by Douglas14
bowersdm

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

750mL faux-corked and caged bottle, a portion of which was poured into a 22oz brandy snifter.

A - pours the color of tea with some reddish hues. it's hard to describe it because I'm not big into art. i'll go with ruby/brown. a head that was just barely bigger than 0cm formed. not enough to determine the color effectively.

S - strawberry banana yogurt, lactic acid, sour cherries, strawberries, leather, musty attic

T - when i first tried this beer, I though it was sweet and sour at the same time, which would seem to go against the style. (I thought my palate was messing with me.) After looking through a few reviews I realized that it is indeed sweet and sour, so here goes: tart lactic acid (subtle) and fruit (cherries, strawberries, grapes, cranberries) that starts out sweet but then starts to go sour. the finish is of...hops? at least, it's a slightly citrus-zest like finish, so I'm going to guess hops. there was a musty attic/leather flavor throughout, but it became more prominent in the finish. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this beer seems more like an oud Bruin than a Red Ale.

M - pretty thin body. adequately carbonated. it was like drinking flat seltzer water

D - definitely not worth the $10.99 per bottle considered that Duchesse de Bourgogne was the same price. I feel constantly let down by this style because Duchesse was the first one that I tried and I'm always expecting that level of acetic acid character. This isn't your typical Flanders Red because it's sweet, while also being sour. If you're interested in the style, try this, but otherwise, don't waste your money. Buy some Duchesse de Bourgogne instead.

03-28-2009 21:54:38 | More by bowersdm
samiam32

750mL

A: Really looks great with Red notes. The amber color really makes this look appetizing.

S: I'd say "good". Although it reminds me a little of the wine at some Methodist churches I've attended, it does have pleasant cherry/grape/dark fruit aroma.

T: I thought I'd really enjoy this until it got to my mouth. The cherries are pleasant, but not really that spectacular. A bit dull with no pop. In (American) football terms, it was very Ryan Leaf.

M: Little carbonation and has the resemblance of wine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wine, but letting it get around my mouth added little to nothing to the experience. It almost tasted better if you just let it go right down and enjoy the aftertaste.

D: My friends tried half the bottle and quit. I'm struggling to finish up here, and thought, "I have some time to go back and write the review." -- Something I don't normally do with the great ones.

04-24-2010 00:29:36 | More by samiam32
kzoobrew

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Cherry stained amber colored body. A one finger white head sits atop momentarily. The head recedes rather quickly. There is a somewhat surprising amount of lacing left with such a modest head.

Sweet cherry juice overpowering upfront. A sour fruit aroma attempts to temper the sweetness just behind. The aroma is very candy like. Warmth brings forward more brett characteristics which were very subtle when cold. The bit of funk still does little to improve the candied aroma upfront.

Sweet cherry juice upfront becomes a bit more tart as it moves towards the back of the palate. The upfront flavor is again far too candylike. The flavor is most intense on the back of the palate. A combination of leathery, dusty funk and cranberry lingers.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation. The sweetness lingers and keeps the finish from becoming dry.

A rather underwhelming beer. The sweetness is a bit too much, very artificial flavor. Small servings are suggested with this beer. A little goes a long way.

12-18-2011 22:49:25 | More by kzoobrew
ArrogantB

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

750ml bottle $9.99. Nice red color with almost no head. It smells great, cherries, sour some muddy vinegar. The taste is indeed sweet-sour but leans toward neither side. It is just barely sweet and barely sour, good balance. Nice cherry note, reminds me a tad of Jolly Pumpkin biere de mars. This was money well spent.

Update 12/2012

Grainy flavor, iron and blood, sort of ugly smell. Not sure if this changed in recipe since I had it several years back but this bottle sucked bad.

08-29-2008 02:26:19 | More by ArrogantB
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Pour is ruby red orange, nice head and lacing that persists. Great looking beer.
Smell: Candy cherries, not particularly funky, tart or sour
Taste: I get sweet black cherries, very fresh tasting, and not much else. Too sweet. I wonder if they have changed from some of the older bottles because I get no funk at all, it tastes pasteurized.
Mouthfeel: Nice lively creamy mouthfeel.
Drinkability: I didn't finish the bottle, this was just a little one dimensional.

08-02-2010 02:46:19 | More by craytonic
quasimoto

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

A - Pours the same exact color as cedar wood. There is a slight head to it, but it quickly dissapates.

S - Strong aromas of plums, oak, cherries, and some vinous characteristics going on too.

T -Al of the afforementioned plus cripsy dry, toasted wheat croutons....I know but that is what it is to me. There is some really old apple cider in there too.

M - Very simple around the tounge. There is no real strong carbination bite, but it ends dry and leaves the sour notes on the tounge.

D - Not really my cup of tea, but Im sure would go well some certain dishes.

08-28-2006 23:13:06 | More by quasimoto
ATPete

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

750ml bottle

Pours a red/brown color with a small off white head. I get alot of strawberry and a port-like sweetness on the nose, a slight acidity and a light sour twang. Round, sweet with a sour/bitter finish, rich cherry candy sweetness. A dessert sipper possibly, a bit too rich for my tastes although the beer is pretty medium in body. I probably wont finish this bottle or the other 5 i somehow came into along the road, another strange brew from De Proef..

08-15-2010 21:56:07 | More by ATPete
draheim

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a 2-finger head that leaves behind a thin web of lace, moderate carb.

Aroma is tart and fruity. Sour cherries, dry oak.

Taste leads off with a disagreeable grainy quality. Ruh-roh. Crushed aspirin, copper penny. Not nearly as much tartness as the nose implied. Vague sour cherry tempered by sweet fruity malt, but that metallic taste mutes everything else.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, dry. Soft on the palate, good carbonation.

Overall I just didn't enjoy this very much. The flat medicinal grainy taste ruined it for me.

10-29-2012 05:57:23 | More by draheim
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Buckeyeboy brought this to a recent tasting.... Thanks Jeremy!!

Hazy red/brown brew with a descent white head and lacing.

Nose immediately reminds me of cherry sucrets.. bretty funk and some wet leather... but the seemingly artificial cherries and slight medicinal qualities are the main player.

flavor mirrors the nose with some tannic qualities.. cherry cough drops.... some plummy essence gets lost in the fray... too sweet... could use alot more wild character and more sour to balance the sweetness.

Body is on the light side of medium and a descent carbonation.

I've had this one a couple of times since the COOP got it in, and I've always thought it was okay, but no where near great.

3.5/3.5/3/3.5/3.5

04-08-2010 08:43:21 | More by JohnGalt1
YankChef

Louisiana

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

750ml bottle poured into a rodenbach glass

Appearance: Hazy darker red with rust like hues, kind of looks like pomegranite juice with pulp if that existed.

Smell: Big time cherry, almost smells like kasteel rouge however there is still a rugged sourness funk that comes along with this style that i do love so much.

Taste: The first thing that hits is a mild sweetness that then fades to a mild sourness. This beer is really timid all around what a dissapointment. The carbonation is also surprisingly low.

Overall: I think that I am drinking this beer past its prime, carbonation is almost nonexistant and there is almost no finish. A shame i was really looking forward to this.

06-07-2008 04:16:03 | More by YankChef
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

This poured the classic mahogany color with almost no head and a little fizz rising up. The smell was nice, mildly fruity with a dry hint in there. The taste was lacking in my opinion. Not much depth, the up front kriek was there from them adding "cherry juice", but no dryness to back it up. It was drinkable but I probably wouldn't go after it again. Monk's Cafe is a decent amount better as an entry in to the style for some.

07-31-2009 00:04:33 | More by madtowndmb1
Zoetzuur Flemish Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)