Zoetzuur Flemish Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Zoetzuur Flemish AleZoetzuur Flemish Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 11-15-2004)
2.79/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours out a hazy rusty red. Cherry smell is pretty big up front. Faint tart smell in the background, but cherry pushes it out. Taste is interesting. Not your typical Flemish red. Has a pretty big hit of brett along with the usual tartness. The cherry is a little much. Kind of sweet too. Fairly heavy body with some stinging carbonation (although low carbonation; weird). I think I'd like this a whole lot more if it weren't for the cherry.

goochpunch, May 12, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

750 ml bottle. Pours hazy reddish amber with a smallish creamy white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is tart sour cherries and some funky yeast with a little wood.

The flavor is sweet sugary cherries with a little sour tartness. There are some acidic cardboard notes and a bit of an odd finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's almost good. Too sweet with odd off-notes.

Beaver13, Feb 11, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Shared at tasting with Fly, Dewbrewer, Humulone_Red and others. Thanks guys!
Rich amber colored pour with a small beige head. Smell is lightly sour with cherry, mildish funky feet like aroma, and hints of cheese. Mild tartness and a subtle cheese like flavor in the finish, I thought. Very dry overall and with light sweetness. Went very well with the bleu cheese. Nice beer, and I'm starting to get more interested in the style. Thanks for sharing this one Alan!

JDV, Mar 15, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

A: Pours a hazy reddish brown with nice beige head. Leaves a light web-like lace on the glass

A: Slightly sour aroma. Sweet peaches and some bacteria (Lacto & Brett, I believe).

T: Tart. Sweet malts, and it seem like there is some wheaty flavors. Very mild sour cherries and some peaches.

M: Medium light body. Dry finish.

O: A well balenced Fanders Red. Easy drinker for the style, there are other sour ales that will blow it away on the pucker rating. As the beer warms more complexities come through. I would recommend this to someone who has not tried a sour ale, before introducing them to more "in-your-face" sour beers.

Aggy360, Jan 09, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

G – Tulip

A – Hazy red-brown, somewhat drab with a decent head from a hard pour and a wee bit of lacing.

S – For the style, only moderately sour; it smells like apple cider, white grape juice and also a bit like pink wine.

T – If it’s cold, it’s fairly unspectacular; if it warms up, it takes on a bit more liveliness. It is, regardless, disappointing. It has a wine quality to it, it is vaguely sour and fruity, it has a wheaty element, and other than that I should mention that I am not terribly impressed. It also has a red wine aftertaste, like Cabernet perhaps. The problem is that it has a very muted and mild taste, relative to the already subtle nose, and relative to the style especially. To be an optimist, I would say it is very chuggable; not necessarily what I am looking for in a Flanders Red. I would say stick with widely available sours like Petrus' Aged Pale or Oud Bruin, or Verhaeghe's Vichtenaar or Duchesse.

M – The feel is ok, but not great; somewhat thin, under-carbonated, and with a drying finish.

D – Overall, this beer is a weak example of one of the greatest styles of beer in the world.

ktrillionaire, Feb 13, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Let's go sweet and sour tonight. On to the beer:

Poured into an oversized wine glass, this beer features a clouded light brown/tanned color. Average head retention, with polka-dot lacing sticking to the glass initially. The beer has both that sweet and sour aroma. Strawberries and caramel is the best way to put it. The grain is a little bit musty.

Very mild flavor. The flavor intensity on this one is very low to my surprise. There is a touch of that vinegary sour flavor, but it's not going to make you think it's salad dressing. Very lighty tart. A little sweet. Faint strawberry, hint of those caramel chews. Watermelon is hinted as well. I wish the flavor were more intense. Well, at loeast it feels like a Flanders Red...it has a good body, firm bubbles....no overcarbonation or thin feel. The aftertaste seems musty, and doesn't amount to anything exciting. It's drinkable, but not interesting...but I got 750 ml to drink, so away I go...

Why are you still reading this? Give this a pass.

DoubleJ, Jan 15, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle poured into a tulip glass (probably 2 years old). Beer pours murky reddish brown with minimal head as a thin collar around the edges. Looks like a decent amount of very tiny bubbles streaming up from the bottom from what is visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is acetic acid, generic red berry, red apple. Actually smells like apple juice with a little balsamic vinegar mixed in.

Taste is is like apple juice tinged with vinegar and oak. If I didn't think this was beer, I'd guess it was stale apple juice.

Lighter side of medium body with some creamy mouthfeel due to the good amount of tiny carbonation. A strange beer that I doubt I would try again as there are many better Flanders red available compared to this.

nataku00, May 27, 2013

pperez38, Jan 31, 2012

JustinQ, Aug 02, 2012

Pours out a dark amber color withblittle to no head. The smell is very interesting. It has a slight lactic and acetic sourness along with a meat-like quality. Partially good partially bad. On the palate it is much better. There is a slight residual sweetness to acompany the sourness that is very nice. A downside is the same aroma comes back up through the back of my nose, bringing with it the meat quality. The beer grows on me though as I drink more of it.

Douglas14, Sep 15, 2010

nrs207, Aug 16, 2013

FilumDee, Apr 19, 2014

heytomcat, Aug 06, 2014

micstache, Dec 23, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

750mL faux-corked and caged bottle, a portion of which was poured into a 22oz brandy snifter.

A - pours the color of tea with some reddish hues. it's hard to describe it because I'm not big into art. i'll go with ruby/brown. a head that was just barely bigger than 0cm formed. not enough to determine the color effectively.

S - strawberry banana yogurt, lactic acid, sour cherries, strawberries, leather, musty attic

T - when i first tried this beer, I though it was sweet and sour at the same time, which would seem to go against the style. (I thought my palate was messing with me.) After looking through a few reviews I realized that it is indeed sweet and sour, so here goes: tart lactic acid (subtle) and fruit (cherries, strawberries, grapes, cranberries) that starts out sweet but then starts to go sour. the finish is of...hops? at least, it's a slightly citrus-zest like finish, so I'm going to guess hops. there was a musty attic/leather flavor throughout, but it became more prominent in the finish. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this beer seems more like an oud Bruin than a Red Ale.

M - pretty thin body. adequately carbonated. it was like drinking flat seltzer water

D - definitely not worth the $10.99 per bottle considered that Duchesse de Bourgogne was the same price. I feel constantly let down by this style because Duchesse was the first one that I tried and I'm always expecting that level of acetic acid character. This isn't your typical Flanders Red because it's sweet, while also being sour. If you're interested in the style, try this, but otherwise, don't waste your money. Buy some Duchesse de Bourgogne instead.

bowersdm, Mar 28, 2009

750mL

A: Really looks great with Red notes. The amber color really makes this look appetizing.

S: I'd say "good". Although it reminds me a little of the wine at some Methodist churches I've attended, it does have pleasant cherry/grape/dark fruit aroma.

T: I thought I'd really enjoy this until it got to my mouth. The cherries are pleasant, but not really that spectacular. A bit dull with no pop. In (American) football terms, it was very Ryan Leaf.

M: Little carbonation and has the resemblance of wine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wine, but letting it get around my mouth added little to nothing to the experience. It almost tasted better if you just let it go right down and enjoy the aftertaste.

D: My friends tried half the bottle and quit. I'm struggling to finish up here, and thought, "I have some time to go back and write the review." -- Something I don't normally do with the great ones.

samiam32, Apr 24, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Cherry stained amber colored body. A one finger white head sits atop momentarily. The head recedes rather quickly. There is a somewhat surprising amount of lacing left with such a modest head.

Sweet cherry juice overpowering upfront. A sour fruit aroma attempts to temper the sweetness just behind. The aroma is very candy like. Warmth brings forward more brett characteristics which were very subtle when cold. The bit of funk still does little to improve the candied aroma upfront.

Sweet cherry juice upfront becomes a bit more tart as it moves towards the back of the palate. The upfront flavor is again far too candylike. The flavor is most intense on the back of the palate. A combination of leathery, dusty funk and cranberry lingers.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation. The sweetness lingers and keeps the finish from becoming dry.

A rather underwhelming beer. The sweetness is a bit too much, very artificial flavor. Small servings are suggested with this beer. A little goes a long way.

kzoobrew, Dec 18, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -22%

750ml bottle $9.99. Nice red color with almost no head. It smells great, cherries, sour some muddy vinegar. The taste is indeed sweet-sour but leans toward neither side. It is just barely sweet and barely sour, good balance. Nice cherry note, reminds me a tad of Jolly Pumpkin biere de mars. This was money well spent.

Update 12/2012

Grainy flavor, iron and blood, sort of ugly smell. Not sure if this changed in recipe since I had it several years back but this bottle sucked bad.

ArrogantB, Aug 29, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Pour is ruby red orange, nice head and lacing that persists. Great looking beer.
Smell: Candy cherries, not particularly funky, tart or sour
Taste: I get sweet black cherries, very fresh tasting, and not much else. Too sweet. I wonder if they have changed from some of the older bottles because I get no funk at all, it tastes pasteurized.
Mouthfeel: Nice lively creamy mouthfeel.
Drinkability: I didn't finish the bottle, this was just a little one dimensional.

craytonic, Aug 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Pours the same exact color as cedar wood. There is a slight head to it, but it quickly dissapates.

S - Strong aromas of plums, oak, cherries, and some vinous characteristics going on too.

T -Al of the afforementioned plus cripsy dry, toasted wheat croutons....I know but that is what it is to me. There is some really old apple cider in there too.

M - Very simple around the tounge. There is no real strong carbination bite, but it ends dry and leaves the sour notes on the tounge.

D - Not really my cup of tea, but Im sure would go well some certain dishes.

quasimoto, Aug 29, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a 2-finger head that leaves behind a thin web of lace, moderate carb.

Aroma is tart and fruity. Sour cherries, dry oak.

Taste leads off with a disagreeable grainy quality. Ruh-roh. Crushed aspirin, copper penny. Not nearly as much tartness as the nose implied. Vague sour cherry tempered by sweet fruity malt, but that metallic taste mutes everything else.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, dry. Soft on the palate, good carbonation.

Overall I just didn't enjoy this very much. The flat medicinal grainy taste ruined it for me.

draheim, Oct 29, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

750ml bottle

Pours a red/brown color with a small off white head. I get alot of strawberry and a port-like sweetness on the nose, a slight acidity and a light sour twang. Round, sweet with a sour/bitter finish, rich cherry candy sweetness. A dessert sipper possibly, a bit too rich for my tastes although the beer is pretty medium in body. I probably wont finish this bottle or the other 5 i somehow came into along the road, another strange brew from De Proef..

ATPete, Aug 15, 2010

Trashcat, Friday at 04:47 PM

anteater, Feb 24, 2014

abex44, Sep 21, 2012
Zoetzuur Flemish Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)