Zoetzuur Flemish Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Zoetzuur Flemish AleZoetzuur Flemish Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 11-15-2004

2.94/5  rDev -25.6%

G – Tulip

A – Hazy red-brown, somewhat drab with a decent head from a hard pour and a wee bit of lacing.

S – For the style, only moderately sour; it smells like apple cider, white grape juice and also a bit like pink wine.

T – If it’s cold, it’s fairly unspectacular; if it warms up, it takes on a bit more liveliness. It is, regardless, disappointing. It has a wine quality to it, it is vaguely sour and fruity, it has a wheaty element, and other than that I should mention that I am not terribly impressed. It also has a red wine aftertaste, like Cabernet perhaps. The problem is that it has a very muted and mild taste, relative to the already subtle nose, and relative to the style especially. To be an optimist, I would say it is very chuggable; not necessarily what I am looking for in a Flanders Red. I would say stick with widely available sours like Petrus' Aged Pale or Oud Bruin, or Verhaeghe's Vichtenaar or Duchesse.

M – The feel is ok, but not great; somewhat thin, under-carbonated, and with a drying finish.

D – Overall, this beer is a weak example of one of the greatest styles of beer in the world. (1,169 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Let's go sweet and sour tonight. On to the beer:

Poured into an oversized wine glass, this beer features a clouded light brown/tanned color. Average head retention, with polka-dot lacing sticking to the glass initially. The beer has both that sweet and sour aroma. Strawberries and caramel is the best way to put it. The grain is a little bit musty.

Very mild flavor. The flavor intensity on this one is very low to my surprise. There is a touch of that vinegary sour flavor, but it's not going to make you think it's salad dressing. Very lighty tart. A little sweet. Faint strawberry, hint of those caramel chews. Watermelon is hinted as well. I wish the flavor were more intense. Well, at loeast it feels like a Flanders Red...it has a good body, firm bubbles....no overcarbonation or thin feel. The aftertaste seems musty, and doesn't amount to anything exciting. It's drinkable, but not interesting...but I got 750 ml to drink, so away I go...

Why are you still reading this? Give this a pass. (1,001 characters)

Pours out a dark amber color withblittle to no head. The smell is very interesting. It has a slight lactic and acetic sourness along with a meat-like quality. Partially good partially bad. On the palate it is much better. There is a slight residual sweetness to acompany the sourness that is very nice. A downside is the same aroma comes back up through the back of my nose, bringing with it the meat quality. The beer grows on me though as I drink more of it. (460 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle poured into a tulip glass (probably 2 years old). Beer pours murky reddish brown with minimal head as a thin collar around the edges. Looks like a decent amount of very tiny bubbles streaming up from the bottom from what is visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is acetic acid, generic red berry, red apple. Actually smells like apple juice with a little balsamic vinegar mixed in.

Taste is is like apple juice tinged with vinegar and oak. If I didn't think this was beer, I'd guess it was stale apple juice.

Lighter side of medium body with some creamy mouthfeel due to the good amount of tiny carbonation. A strange beer that I doubt I would try again as there are many better Flanders red available compared to this. (731 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

Cherry stained amber colored body. A one finger white head sits atop momentarily. The head recedes rather quickly. There is a somewhat surprising amount of lacing left with such a modest head.

Sweet cherry juice overpowering upfront. A sour fruit aroma attempts to temper the sweetness just behind. The aroma is very candy like. Warmth brings forward more brett characteristics which were very subtle when cold. The bit of funk still does little to improve the candied aroma upfront.

Sweet cherry juice upfront becomes a bit more tart as it moves towards the back of the palate. The upfront flavor is again far too candylike. The flavor is most intense on the back of the palate. A combination of leathery, dusty funk and cranberry lingers.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation. The sweetness lingers and keeps the finish from becoming dry.

A rather underwhelming beer. The sweetness is a bit too much, very artificial flavor. Small servings are suggested with this beer. A little goes a long way. (1,001 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -23%

750ml bottle $9.99. Nice red color with almost no head. It smells great, cherries, sour some muddy vinegar. The taste is indeed sweet-sour but leans toward neither side. It is just barely sweet and barely sour, good balance. Nice cherry note, reminds me a tad of Jolly Pumpkin biere de mars. This was money well spent.

Update 12/2012

Grainy flavor, iron and blood, sort of ugly smell. Not sure if this changed in recipe since I had it several years back but this bottle sucked bad. (483 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -22.3%

750mL faux-corked and caged bottle, a portion of which was poured into a 22oz brandy snifter.

A - pours the color of tea with some reddish hues. it's hard to describe it because I'm not big into art. i'll go with ruby/brown. a head that was just barely bigger than 0cm formed. not enough to determine the color effectively.

S - strawberry banana yogurt, lactic acid, sour cherries, strawberries, leather, musty attic

T - when i first tried this beer, I though it was sweet and sour at the same time, which would seem to go against the style. (I thought my palate was messing with me.) After looking through a few reviews I realized that it is indeed sweet and sour, so here goes: tart lactic acid (subtle) and fruit (cherries, strawberries, grapes, cranberries) that starts out sweet but then starts to go sour. the finish is of...hops? at least, it's a slightly citrus-zest like finish, so I'm going to guess hops. there was a musty attic/leather flavor throughout, but it became more prominent in the finish. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this beer seems more like an oud Bruin than a Red Ale.

M - pretty thin body. adequately carbonated. it was like drinking flat seltzer water

D - definitely not worth the $10.99 per bottle considered that Duchesse de Bourgogne was the same price. I feel constantly let down by this style because Duchesse was the first one that I tried and I'm always expecting that level of acetic acid character. This isn't your typical Flanders Red because it's sweet, while also being sour. If you're interested in the style, try this, but otherwise, don't waste your money. Buy some Duchesse de Bourgogne instead. (1,655 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22%

750mL

A: Really looks great with Red notes. The amber color really makes this look appetizing.

S: I'd say "good". Although it reminds me a little of the wine at some Methodist churches I've attended, it does have pleasant cherry/grape/dark fruit aroma.

T: I thought I'd really enjoy this until it got to my mouth. The cherries are pleasant, but not really that spectacular. A bit dull with no pop. In (American) football terms, it was very Ryan Leaf.

M: Little carbonation and has the resemblance of wine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wine, but letting it get around my mouth added little to nothing to the experience. It almost tasted better if you just let it go right down and enjoy the aftertaste.

D: My friends tried half the bottle and quit. I'm struggling to finish up here, and thought, "I have some time to go back and write the review." -- Something I don't normally do with the great ones. (904 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -21%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

there's no sour flavor or Brett character whatsoever. maybe my bottle is too fresh? either way, this wasn't a very good beer for the price. cherry and grape flavors come through but the backbone is a clashing between typical ale breadiness and non-existent Brett. this needs some age to sour it up, I guess. (307 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -19.2%

Pour is ruby red orange, nice head and lacing that persists. Great looking beer.
Smell: Candy cherries, not particularly funky, tart or sour
Taste: I get sweet black cherries, very fresh tasting, and not much else. Too sweet. I wonder if they have changed from some of the older bottles because I get no funk at all, it tastes pasteurized.
Mouthfeel: Nice lively creamy mouthfeel.
Drinkability: I didn't finish the bottle, this was just a little one dimensional. (462 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -18.5%

750ml bottle

Pours a red/brown color with a small off white head. I get alot of strawberry and a port-like sweetness on the nose, a slight acidity and a light sour twang. Round, sweet with a sour/bitter finish, rich cherry candy sweetness. A dessert sipper possibly, a bit too rich for my tastes although the beer is pretty medium in body. I probably wont finish this bottle or the other 5 i somehow came into along the road, another strange brew from De Proef.. (463 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -18%

A - Pours the same exact color as cedar wood. There is a slight head to it, but it quickly dissapates.

S - Strong aromas of plums, oak, cherries, and some vinous characteristics going on too.

T -Al of the afforementioned plus cripsy dry, toasted wheat croutons....I know but that is what it is to me. There is some really old apple cider in there too.

M - Very simple around the tounge. There is no real strong carbination bite, but it ends dry and leaves the sour notes on the tounge.

D - Not really my cup of tea, but Im sure would go well some certain dishes. (577 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Buckeyeboy brought this to a recent tasting.... Thanks Jeremy!!

Hazy red/brown brew with a descent white head and lacing.

Nose immediately reminds me of cherry sucrets.. bretty funk and some wet leather... but the seemingly artificial cherries and slight medicinal qualities are the main player.

flavor mirrors the nose with some tannic qualities.. cherry cough drops.... some plummy essence gets lost in the fray... too sweet... could use alot more wild character and more sour to balance the sweetness.

Body is on the light side of medium and a descent carbonation.

I've had this one a couple of times since the COOP got it in, and I've always thought it was okay, but no where near great.

3.5/3.5/3/3.5/3.5 (717 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a 2-finger head that leaves behind a thin web of lace, moderate carb.

Aroma is tart and fruity. Sour cherries, dry oak.

Taste leads off with a disagreeable grainy quality. Ruh-roh. Crushed aspirin, copper penny. Not nearly as much tartness as the nose implied. Vague sour cherry tempered by sweet fruity malt, but that metallic taste mutes everything else.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, dry. Soft on the palate, good carbonation.

Overall I just didn't enjoy this very much. The flat medicinal grainy taste ruined it for me. (567 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Color- hazy thick reddish brown. Medium but thick head.

Aroma- sour cherry fruitcake.

Taste- Sour throughout starting a but rough but mellowing in the middle finishing with a lingering cherry sourness and a hint of clove on the palate.

I like sours, but I couldn't rate this one any higher given the rough start.

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). (435 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

After experiencing some members of the Flemish Primitive series, I was expecting this beer to be funky-as-hell.

Raised expectations caused the French Revolution.

I guess my problem is that when I think 'Flanders Red' I think of Rodenbach Grand Cru and La Folie -- two incredibly acidic, nail-polish remover-like beers as opposed to the softer offerings such as Monk Cafe and Duchess. This beer definately belongs to the latter catagory.

Why is that bad? Well, the Flanders Red is supposed to be a very quaffable, thirst-quenching style but this beer sits in an awkward sweet-sour area. There is enough malt flavour present to be sweet and not enough acid to create a crisp, clean finish. So, instead you get a wishy-washy undecided ending to the beer that lingers and lingers.

Neither the malt nor the acid managed to really find a quorum and instead the beer sits in an strange limbo between the two. Perhaps if some hops were included to help balance out the fight, or if one side were simply allowed to 'win' that would be OK.

I like sour beers, I like sweet beers . . . but this half-and-half isn't to my liking.

To make matters worse, the mouthfeel is strangely cloying, so I can't really even say this beer is an easy drinker. (1,252 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

All in all, a good Flemish Red.

The color is beautiful, yet the head seemed a bit weak.

On the down side, I detected a slight disagreeable component in the smell, almost certainly caused by the cherry juice. This beer's flavor is a bit weaker than other personal favorites (Duchesse and Rodenbach), but there is no doubt of it being a straight-ahead Flemish Red.

I would have no hesitation with buying another bottle. (423 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

This poured the classic mahogany color with almost no head and a little fizz rising up. The smell was nice, mildly fruity with a dry hint in there. The taste was lacking in my opinion. Not much depth, the up front kriek was there from them adding "cherry juice", but no dryness to back it up. It was drinkable but I probably wouldn't go after it again. Monk's Cafe is a decent amount better as an entry in to the style for some. (428 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a clear orange/brown with a small white head. Aroma of light tartness and melon and other sweet fruits. Flavor is tart with a bitter finish and also some stale wheat malt. Just kinda meh. Not terribly bad but not something I'd seek out again.
7/4/7/3/14 (3.5/5) (316 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%

750ml bottle poured into a rodenbach glass

Appearance: Hazy darker red with rust like hues, kind of looks like pomegranite juice with pulp if that existed.

Smell: Big time cherry, almost smells like kasteel rouge however there is still a rugged sourness funk that comes along with this style that i do love so much.

Taste: The first thing that hits is a mild sweetness that then fades to a mild sourness. This beer is really timid all around what a dissapointment. The carbonation is also surprisingly low.

Overall: I think that I am drinking this beer past its prime, carbonation is almost nonexistant and there is almost no finish. A shame i was really looking forward to this. (683 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

A - Root beer-like color with a decent antique white head that fades slowly with some modest lacing; very attractive Flemish ale.

S - Sour red fruit with barnyard-like aroma and a tinge of what I would call pewter, but not in a negative way. Unique.

T - Off sour cherry/wine as if this ale had been aged in a barrel that used to hold red wine. Has a nice malt backbone.

M - Light fizz mingles with the creaminess in a nice but refreshing way.

D - With food - absolutely. I'm thinking venison or some sort of meat that has a fruit-laden reduction sauce. Drinking it solo isn't really inspiring for me, but to each his own! (625 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance –The head here was off-white and about a half-inch high on an easy pour. It sat on a very dark, almost brown liquid body.

Smell – The sharp yeasty sourness sticks the nose sharply. It smells like pure lemon in there with a tad of malt.

Taste – The lemon isn’t as big on the tongue as it is in the bouquet, but it’s pretty hefty. The malts are lightly-toasted but not bready in any way. It’s more of a barley-type of flavor.

Mouthfeel – The exciting carbonation and light body in the mouth help the flavors along nicely.

Drinkability – This was fun to drink, but a one on one with a bomber of Zoetzuur is asking a lot of the palate. (662 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Pours an opaque ruby/brown color. A one finger tan head forms. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: A sweet fruity aroma. Some cherries and apples with funky barnyard aromas. A light dry, wood aroma.
T: This is very sweet and tart. Cherries and apples that follow the nose. As this warms up, the tartness/sourness mellows out a bit.
M/D: A medium body, but over carbonated. A little thin. Dry. The sweetness, tartness and alcohol are a bit much. Its hard to finish the 750 ml bottle.

This is interesting, but just does not do it for me. Fairly simple for the style, and not very subtle. This is not my favorite De Proef offering. (633 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the style and to an extent the brewery. I know Mikkeller brews at De Proef a lot, and I'm quite fond of his work, but I do think that this brewery might be a bit too scientific and clinical to pull off a proper sour.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of some limited cream, pretty good thickness, and great retention for the above average ABV. Colour is nontransparent non-opaque caramel-red. Generally appealing, but far from ideal for the style. No floating yeast particles are visible - perhaps due to the nontransparency.

Sm: Brett yeast - lending it some complex funkiness, other yeast, some cream, hints of bacteria, and tart fruit. A moderate strength aroma. Both complex and subtle. I'm excited to try it; it's certainly alive. I'm hoping the taste lives up to the promise of the aroma.

T: Pleasant cream opens it up to the nicely brett-laden flavour profile, complete with bacteria, tart cherry, and yeasty notes that manage to add complexity and a light spicy character without feeling overly biscuity. Cream resurges on the climax. The cherry juice might mute the profile a bit; it feels a bit timid. No alcohol comes through - not a bad feat given the 7.00% ABV. Balanced nicely. I'd like it to trust its flavours more and really bring the boldness, but it's pretty mellow - to its detriment. Complex, layered, and subtle. The malts don't come through hardly at all even as an aspect of the foundation, which I think is to its benefit but also lends it a certain emptiness that detracts from the body; consequently it comes off a bit weak and not nearly as full-bodied as I'd like.

Mf: Light on the palate, delicate, and silky smooth, with some cream throughout as an undertone. Perfectly carbonated. It's thin, but this strangely works for the beer. That said, it just doesn't have a strong impact on the palate, a characteristic amplified by its weak body.

Dr: Very drinkable, especially for the relatively high ABV. I could easily drink this all night - and would want to, if not for the somewhat limited quality and high price. I had high hopes for this beer and while it didn't meet them, I wouldn't call it a disappointment. I wouldn't purchase it again without some age on it, but I might recommend it to fans of this specific style. As sours go, it's far from exemplary.

Drank fine out of me goblet.

Would pair well with a vinaigrette black olive salad.

High B- (2,727 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Had a hard time uncorking this one... poured a rich ruby red-copper color with a thick head. Smelled of tart cherries and grapes. A hint of raisin and sugar sweetness comes through. Almost sunblock smelling too.

Tasted of tart cherries and a bit of metallic flavors. A little nit of coconut and vinegar come through as well. Mouth feel was tangy and smooth.

Decent but definitely had better. May drink again if given a bottle. (428 characters)

Zoetzuur Flemish Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)