Zoetzuur Flemish Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Zoetzuur Flemish AleZoetzuur Flemish Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 11-15-2004)

nrs207, Aug 16, 2013

FilumDee, Apr 19, 2014

heytomcat, Aug 06, 2014

micstache, Dec 23, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

750mL faux-corked and caged bottle, a portion of which was poured into a 22oz brandy snifter.

A - pours the color of tea with some reddish hues. it's hard to describe it because I'm not big into art. i'll go with ruby/brown. a head that was just barely bigger than 0cm formed. not enough to determine the color effectively.

S - strawberry banana yogurt, lactic acid, sour cherries, strawberries, leather, musty attic

T - when i first tried this beer, I though it was sweet and sour at the same time, which would seem to go against the style. (I thought my palate was messing with me.) After looking through a few reviews I realized that it is indeed sweet and sour, so here goes: tart lactic acid (subtle) and fruit (cherries, strawberries, grapes, cranberries) that starts out sweet but then starts to go sour. the finish is of...hops? at least, it's a slightly citrus-zest like finish, so I'm going to guess hops. there was a musty attic/leather flavor throughout, but it became more prominent in the finish. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this beer seems more like an oud Bruin than a Red Ale.

M - pretty thin body. adequately carbonated. it was like drinking flat seltzer water

D - definitely not worth the $10.99 per bottle considered that Duchesse de Bourgogne was the same price. I feel constantly let down by this style because Duchesse was the first one that I tried and I'm always expecting that level of acetic acid character. This isn't your typical Flanders Red because it's sweet, while also being sour. If you're interested in the style, try this, but otherwise, don't waste your money. Buy some Duchesse de Bourgogne instead.

bowersdm, Mar 28, 2009

750mL

A: Really looks great with Red notes. The amber color really makes this look appetizing.

S: I'd say "good". Although it reminds me a little of the wine at some Methodist churches I've attended, it does have pleasant cherry/grape/dark fruit aroma.

T: I thought I'd really enjoy this until it got to my mouth. The cherries are pleasant, but not really that spectacular. A bit dull with no pop. In (American) football terms, it was very Ryan Leaf.

M: Little carbonation and has the resemblance of wine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wine, but letting it get around my mouth added little to nothing to the experience. It almost tasted better if you just let it go right down and enjoy the aftertaste.

D: My friends tried half the bottle and quit. I'm struggling to finish up here, and thought, "I have some time to go back and write the review." -- Something I don't normally do with the great ones.

samiam32, Apr 24, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

Cherry stained amber colored body. A one finger white head sits atop momentarily. The head recedes rather quickly. There is a somewhat surprising amount of lacing left with such a modest head.

Sweet cherry juice overpowering upfront. A sour fruit aroma attempts to temper the sweetness just behind. The aroma is very candy like. Warmth brings forward more brett characteristics which were very subtle when cold. The bit of funk still does little to improve the candied aroma upfront.

Sweet cherry juice upfront becomes a bit more tart as it moves towards the back of the palate. The upfront flavor is again far too candylike. The flavor is most intense on the back of the palate. A combination of leathery, dusty funk and cranberry lingers.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation. The sweetness lingers and keeps the finish from becoming dry.

A rather underwhelming beer. The sweetness is a bit too much, very artificial flavor. Small servings are suggested with this beer. A little goes a long way.

kzoobrew, Dec 18, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

750ml bottle $9.99. Nice red color with almost no head. It smells great, cherries, sour some muddy vinegar. The taste is indeed sweet-sour but leans toward neither side. It is just barely sweet and barely sour, good balance. Nice cherry note, reminds me a tad of Jolly Pumpkin biere de mars. This was money well spent.

Update 12/2012

Grainy flavor, iron and blood, sort of ugly smell. Not sure if this changed in recipe since I had it several years back but this bottle sucked bad.

ArrogantB, Aug 29, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Pour is ruby red orange, nice head and lacing that persists. Great looking beer.
Smell: Candy cherries, not particularly funky, tart or sour
Taste: I get sweet black cherries, very fresh tasting, and not much else. Too sweet. I wonder if they have changed from some of the older bottles because I get no funk at all, it tastes pasteurized.
Mouthfeel: Nice lively creamy mouthfeel.
Drinkability: I didn't finish the bottle, this was just a little one dimensional.

craytonic, Aug 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

A - Pours the same exact color as cedar wood. There is a slight head to it, but it quickly dissapates.

S - Strong aromas of plums, oak, cherries, and some vinous characteristics going on too.

T -Al of the afforementioned plus cripsy dry, toasted wheat croutons....I know but that is what it is to me. There is some really old apple cider in there too.

M - Very simple around the tounge. There is no real strong carbination bite, but it ends dry and leaves the sour notes on the tounge.

D - Not really my cup of tea, but Im sure would go well some certain dishes.

quasimoto, Aug 29, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a 2-finger head that leaves behind a thin web of lace, moderate carb.

Aroma is tart and fruity. Sour cherries, dry oak.

Taste leads off with a disagreeable grainy quality. Ruh-roh. Crushed aspirin, copper penny. Not nearly as much tartness as the nose implied. Vague sour cherry tempered by sweet fruity malt, but that metallic taste mutes everything else.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, dry. Soft on the palate, good carbonation.

Overall I just didn't enjoy this very much. The flat medicinal grainy taste ruined it for me.

draheim, Oct 29, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

750ml bottle

Pours a red/brown color with a small off white head. I get alot of strawberry and a port-like sweetness on the nose, a slight acidity and a light sour twang. Round, sweet with a sour/bitter finish, rich cherry candy sweetness. A dessert sipper possibly, a bit too rich for my tastes although the beer is pretty medium in body. I probably wont finish this bottle or the other 5 i somehow came into along the road, another strange brew from De Proef..

ATPete, Aug 15, 2010

anteater, Feb 24, 2014

abex44, Sep 21, 2012

ZethOfTheNorth, Mar 25, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Aug 21, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Buckeyeboy brought this to a recent tasting.... Thanks Jeremy!!

Hazy red/brown brew with a descent white head and lacing.

Nose immediately reminds me of cherry sucrets.. bretty funk and some wet leather... but the seemingly artificial cherries and slight medicinal qualities are the main player.

flavor mirrors the nose with some tannic qualities.. cherry cough drops.... some plummy essence gets lost in the fray... too sweet... could use alot more wild character and more sour to balance the sweetness.

Body is on the light side of medium and a descent carbonation.

I've had this one a couple of times since the COOP got it in, and I've always thought it was okay, but no where near great.

3.5/3.5/3/3.5/3.5

JohnGalt1, Apr 08, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Color- hazy thick reddish brown. Medium but thick head.

Aroma- sour cherry fruitcake.

Taste- Sour throughout starting a but rough but mellowing in the middle finishing with a lingering cherry sourness and a hint of clove on the palate.

I like sours, but I couldn't rate this one any higher given the rough start.

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass).

utfiero, Jun 08, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

All in all, a good Flemish Red.

The color is beautiful, yet the head seemed a bit weak.

On the down side, I detected a slight disagreeable component in the smell, almost certainly caused by the cherry juice. This beer's flavor is a bit weaker than other personal favorites (Duchesse and Rodenbach), but there is no doubt of it being a straight-ahead Flemish Red.

I would have no hesitation with buying another bottle.

WynnO, Nov 27, 2011

750ml bottle poured into a rodenbach glass

Appearance: Hazy darker red with rust like hues, kind of looks like pomegranite juice with pulp if that existed.

Smell: Big time cherry, almost smells like kasteel rouge however there is still a rugged sourness funk that comes along with this style that i do love so much.

Taste: The first thing that hits is a mild sweetness that then fades to a mild sourness. This beer is really timid all around what a dissapointment. The carbonation is also surprisingly low.

Overall: I think that I am drinking this beer past its prime, carbonation is almost nonexistant and there is almost no finish. A shame i was really looking forward to this.

YankChef, Jun 07, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

This poured the classic mahogany color with almost no head and a little fizz rising up. The smell was nice, mildly fruity with a dry hint in there. The taste was lacking in my opinion. Not much depth, the up front kriek was there from them adding "cherry juice", but no dryness to back it up. It was drinkable but I probably wouldn't go after it again. Monk's Cafe is a decent amount better as an entry in to the style for some.

madtowndmb1, Jul 31, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

After experiencing some members of the Flemish Primitive series, I was expecting this beer to be funky-as-hell.

Raised expectations caused the French Revolution.

I guess my problem is that when I think 'Flanders Red' I think of Rodenbach Grand Cru and La Folie -- two incredibly acidic, nail-polish remover-like beers as opposed to the softer offerings such as Monk Cafe and Duchess. This beer definately belongs to the latter catagory.

Why is that bad? Well, the Flanders Red is supposed to be a very quaffable, thirst-quenching style but this beer sits in an awkward sweet-sour area. There is enough malt flavour present to be sweet and not enough acid to create a crisp, clean finish. So, instead you get a wishy-washy undecided ending to the beer that lingers and lingers.

Neither the malt nor the acid managed to really find a quorum and instead the beer sits in an strange limbo between the two. Perhaps if some hops were included to help balance out the fight, or if one side were simply allowed to 'win' that would be OK.

I like sour beers, I like sweet beers . . . but this half-and-half isn't to my liking.

To make matters worse, the mouthfeel is strangely cloying, so I can't really even say this beer is an easy drinker.

shbobdb, Dec 28, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a clear orange/brown with a small white head. Aroma of light tartness and melon and other sweet fruits. Flavor is tart with a bitter finish and also some stale wheat malt. Just kinda meh. Not terribly bad but not something I'd seek out again.
7/4/7/3/14 (3.5/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 26, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Root beer-like color with a decent antique white head that fades slowly with some modest lacing; very attractive Flemish ale.

S - Sour red fruit with barnyard-like aroma and a tinge of what I would call pewter, but not in a negative way. Unique.

T - Off sour cherry/wine as if this ale had been aged in a barrel that used to hold red wine. Has a nice malt backbone.

M - Light fizz mingles with the creaminess in a nice but refreshing way.

D - With food - absolutely. I'm thinking venison or some sort of meat that has a fruit-laden reduction sauce. Drinking it solo isn't really inspiring for me, but to each his own!

pinotboy007, Nov 10, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -12%

Appearance –The head here was off-white and about a half-inch high on an easy pour. It sat on a very dark, almost brown liquid body.

Smell – The sharp yeasty sourness sticks the nose sharply. It smells like pure lemon in there with a tad of malt.

Taste – The lemon isn’t as big on the tongue as it is in the bouquet, but it’s pretty hefty. The malts are lightly-toasted but not bready in any way. It’s more of a barley-type of flavor.

Mouthfeel – The exciting carbonation and light body in the mouth help the flavors along nicely.

Drinkability – This was fun to drink, but a one on one with a bomber of Zoetzuur is asking a lot of the palate.

RoyalT, Jan 19, 2006
Zoetzuur Flemish Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)