Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse AleSaison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: clickpush on 05-04-2006

Brewmaster's Collection - Special Reserve
Mixed Fermentation - Saison De Flandres
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros

I found this saison to be rather non-approachable; interesting yet challenging to drink. Based on my experience with American saisons, I have a hard time calling this authentic version better.

Appearance was fairly carbonated looking, coffee colored, and fairly viscous looking.

Aroma was of cinammon and apples.

Taste was rather un-distinct. It tasted like alcohol in the nose, with pear in the finish. As it got warmer, I picked up some isoamyl acetate (banana) falvor.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but I found this beer rather difficult to drink. (559 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: Pours a surprisingly dark but clear amber, pretty unlike any saison I've seen. The head rises to about three fingers height and has great retention.

Smell: Extremely estery; berries, figs, dates, a hint of spice (nutmeg, allspice).

Taste/mouthfeel: Lots of estery dark fruit here, leaning toward the berry and fig flavors. The body is fairly light despite the high ABV, and I'd guess that this was significantly lower in alcohol if not for the slight heat that shows up in the finish. Sweet berry-like flavors continue right on through the finish - where's the dryness? This isn't a bad brew overall (nor is it great), but it's lacking all of the qualities that I look for in a saison.

Notes: A disappointing beer from a generally good brewery. (759 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

Presentation: Poured two beers from 750ml bottle to my Duvel tulip over about a 3 hour period.

Appearance: This beer pours a 1 finger head that recedes quickly, but leaves a LOT of lacing on the glass regardless of temperature. Very pretty brown/red almost rusty orange color that is completely opaque and darker than I expected. The second beer I poured of course was completely saturated with yeasty floaters throughout. I don't mind this and actually like the taste of the yeast in my beer.

S: Extremely funky barnyard smells here, horseblanket, and even detected what smelled like urine to me a couple of times. The smell does change throughout. I am not completely offended though as I do keep smelling it repeatedly, and sometimes a dark fruit aroma comes through which is good. There must be some Brett yeast in this beer. Oaky and earthy as well. I didn't care for the smell, and my wife absolutely hated it.

T: The taste was quite a bit better than the smell. Lots of sour tastes, some sweetness, and definite bitterness was there. I felt that the sour was nicely muted by some of the fruit flavors, but not enough to counteract some of the funkiness and sour that was going on here. More sweetness would have balanced this out and made this beer far better. The one fruit I do taste is sour green grapes. When I bought it I expected less earthy sourness, and less color as well. Maybe some caramel in the first notes of tasting as well. The bitter aftertaste lasted longer than almost any beer I've ever had, and I did find myself appreciating that particular quality.

M: Creamy, extremely carbonated in a great way. My wife said the one thing she liked about this beer was its carbonation, and I couldn't agree more.

D: I had some issues drinking a full 750ml of this. I might try it again, but I think I'd really rather only have 8-10oz of this at a time. It took me probably 3 hours to drink a 750ml which is pretty slow for me.

Overall I was surprised by how dark, unfruity, and funky this beer was. I suspect some Brett yeast was used and can be attributed to these qualities in the beer. I doubt I would buy it again in a 750ml format, but I might try it again just to see if some fruitiness comes through more for me a second time. That would make this beer far better. I don't mind funk when it is properly balanced, this one just wasn't. (2,364 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

750ml bottle. Pours a surprisingly dark, slightly hazy amber color with a tall light beige head that dies slowly to leave nice lacing. Smells heavily of caramel malts. Quite sugary sweet, with some dark fruits. Strong caramel malt taste with brown sugar and dried fruit. Cloyingly sweet throughout, though somehow it dries out a smidge at the end. Slight alcohol taste and warmth. Thick mouthfeel bordering on syrupy. Way too malty-sweet to be drinkable. This in no way resembles a saison...even a strong one. Kind of shocked that this came from the Proefbrouwerij. (565 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle into an Old Engine Oil snifter. Thanks to vonschplieffen for sharing.

A: Hazy deep amber body with a dense tan head. Ok retention, spotty lace. Not bad looking, but way too dark for the style.

S: Sweet candied fruit and not much else. Caramel apple, some plum, and a bit of grassiness. Not that good for a Saison. A Tripel, maybe, but never a Saison.

T: Follows the nose - super sweet, fruity, and sugary. Nothing but candy. Meh.

M: Medium body, moderate amount of creamy carbonation. Great.

O: This was a disappointment, as it was WAY too sweet for the style, and the Brett really didn't add much of anything. It was mediocre for a sweet beer, and decidedly underwhelming for a Saison.

Cheers! (713 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a murky light brown with orange highlights. Dark and murky for a saison. A huge tan head falls to a cap.

Aroma is sweet, caramel, bananas. Something in there is almost acrid. A hint of spices.

Taste is again, very sweet for a saison. Bruised bananas, caramel, almost rum like. No real tart or musty notes, but an alcoholic spiceness which dominates the finish.

Medium body with soft creamy carbonation. Dry finish.

This only way in which this resembles the other saisons I've tried is in the dry finish. This is more like the bastard child of a weizenbock and saison. (577 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance - Almost the color of cherry oak, which is a little dark for a saison. Looking like an impostor and not true to style will cost it a fair amount of points.. Pretty nice off white head, which stood up for quite some time and left it's mark around the glass.

Smell - Sweet cherry with a sour breath to it, almost like a flemish red. Sour, most definitely sour, with a fruity aroma to it; most likely banana. Very pungent, while not bad, not very saison like.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Really mellow with a thick creamy malt. Has a lot of sour fruit to it, and a little bit of a belgian quad type taste. Loads and loads of dark fruit are thrown in and have a candied taste to them. Have no idea what they're trying to pull off here? Medium mouthfeel is coating, but not really interested in what it's coating my mouth with.

Drinkability - This beer has no identity whatsoever. Don't know how or why this beer came to be, and don't really care. (948 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured this 750 mL undated brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Bottle was corked with a synthetic corke and caged. Gentle pour resulted in a minimal tan head that faded to a constant island. The body was a dull, dark goden-brown/ruby color.

Smell was vinous and spicy. Later it began to smell of cough syrup.

Taste was also vinous. Powdery and dry. Prunes. Liquer-like. Somewhat medicinal. This is the worst tasting saison I have experienced. No funk, no spritziness, no fresh fruit character, no sourness. Not really saison-like. More appropriately classified as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I did not finish this bottle.

Mouthfeel was full to medium bodied. (675 characters)

Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)