Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse AleSaison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: clickpush on 05-04-2006

Brewmaster's Collection - Special Reserve
Mixed Fermentation - Saison De Flandres
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Surprising amber color with a decent lasting head. I was looking for a more golden color

Good carbonation.

Taste is on the malty side with slight hops. Not what I was expecting for a Saison.

Kinda dry mouthfeel again with slight hop flavor.

Drinability is ok, not an all nighter. Again, I was expecting a completely different beer. Might give it a try again, but there are other Saisons that I would prefer.

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a Russian River goblet from a 750ml corked and caged bottle.

Pours a deep brown, much darker than your average saison, almost looks like a clouded Belgian brown. Aroma is yeasty, but not overwhelmingly so. Taste is not nearly as dry as I would expect from the style, not nearly dry enough, and too malty sweet. Overall, kind of a disappointment. Would much prefer a Saison Dupont or Red Barn from Lost Abbey.

3.81/5  rDev 0%

A- Nice deep brown hue, good head

S- Smell of funk and alcohol. Got a sweaty sock smell.

T- Lots of flavor. Slight sour and funk. Dark fruits. Tripel like sugar flavors. Caramel and biscuit. Lots of malt very ,little hops. Dark rum raisin alcohol. There is a lot going on in this beer.

M- A little thick and definatley heavy.

D- This isnt for everyone, its drinkable but for a small group.

Is this beer a saison or a belgian strong ale? I know its called 'imperale' but this isnt very close to 'normal' saisons. Too heavy, too thick not as light on the palate as it should be. However, this is a good beer with good flavors ! I like it , just not as a saison. It definitely strays from the norm. If you go into this beer thinking 'saison' you might be disappointed, but if you have no preconceptions, you will be okay. Definitely worth trying but if your looking for a true saison, this isnt the beer you want.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 750 ml poured into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: poured a slightly cloudy reddish brown.

Smell: a great smell, fruity notes, sweet.

Taste: semi fruity taste, just a very slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, light to medium body, crisp and clean finish.

Drinkablity: Seems very drinkable, hides the high alcohol content very nicely.

Overall: I bought this beer on a recommendation from the store worker and I have been impressed. It is my first Saison's hopefully they are all this good.

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Looks wayyy different than I was expecting for the style. A nice reddish orange, like thick honey. Creamy head that dissipated moderately quickly.

Aroma: Plum, honey, liquor, butterscotch, and some unfiltered apple juice. For me, this was one of the most appealing scents I'd smelled in a long time.

Taste: What a trip! Lots of rich, malty notes. Raisins, subtle funkiness (bordering on chantrelle-y), pear, apple, and many dark, non-roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel: More carbonated than I would have liked, but nice body, not too syruppy.

Drinkability: Drinkable, though the richness and complexity lends itself to smaller quantities.

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

The Saison Imperiale is a Belgian style beer with a brownish color and citrus aroma. The head is a creamy color. There is moderate head retention. The appearance reminds me of a British brown ale. There is a malt aroma coupled with citrus. The taste is balanced between bitter and sweet with a slightly more sweet finish. There is no lingering aftertaste. The mouth feel is moderately carbonated with strong alcoholic heat. The Saison is one of the more interesting Belgian style beers I have yet to try.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

corked caged 750ml bottle

Some of the other reviews stated no brett. My bottle was a little dusty so maybe the brett came out more. Well the type of brett.

Color much darker than I expected. Dark amber.

Nose was malty. Very malty, but I got some cherry pie normal for a type of brett. Not the horse sweat brett at all.

Taste.. well it was a surprise. More hops than I thought for that cherry pie nose. A slightly bitter bite. Not to abnormal for saison though. No flavor or aroma from the hops.
I got some small amounts of sour from the brett. It made me think this beer was made to age and mix with a sour.

Mouth feel. Well like I said It made me think this beer was made to age and mix with a sour.

Over all. I was nice to get the cherry pie brett nose and sourness. It would be a good beer to brew to mix with a lacto and pedie ale to make a good flanders red, brown or the type. Enjoyed the beer very much. Great buy if you like malt and cherry pie.

Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)