2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Monstre Rouge - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Monstre RougeMonstre Rouge

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: HoosBrews on 06-29-2010)
View: Beers (93) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 148 | Reviews: 105 | Show All Ratings:
aubuc1

3.35/5  rDev +4%

750 ml bottle dated best before 1/4/12 poured into a goblet.

Pours a very hazy reddish brown with a thick soupy off white head.

Smell is a sweet, malty, piny, grapefruity, pineapple, and some ripe fruit. Not too flanders red ale. More like a wild ale.

Taste is not sour. Biscuity sweet with some dry yeasty, breadiness.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is more like a belgian ipa than a flanders red ale. I am glad it was only 7.49 at my local abc.

06-18-2011 00:52:21 | More by aubuc1
davey101

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

An $18 imperial flanders collaboration with a belgian brewery that I can't pronounce and an American one who's stuff I usually can't get. Off to a great start....

A - Pours a dark, cloudy red with a huge frothy head. This sat for about two weeks after the purchase, and with a slow pour there's still a decent bit of sediment and yeast "tadpoles" floating around

S - Cherry, oak, vanilla, malts, brown sugar, and...hops. This does smell great

T - Cherries and the oak along with a malty backbone. The finish is light hops and some alcohol but it is very clean. You can tell that the hops on their way out. After reading the reviews on here I was expecting something terrible. This isn't groundbreaking, but I think the flavors do work fairly well. I am missing the usual flanders bite/funk though.

O - This is half of a flanders red ale, with an IPA awkwardly mixed in. Still a good beer, but its just missing some aspects that made me buy this in the first place. Worth the price tag? No way. If this was half the price I would probably pick up another one to see what happens when the hops completely fade out.

06-15-2011 01:40:27 | More by davey101
BeerDawgs

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev +7.1%

An 8oz draft at the Porter during the Terrapin Takeover on 5/21/11

A - Wow, one of the biggest foamy heads I have ever seen. Tons of lace. red, copper, caramel color.

S - Sweet from the malts. Caramel. Hops in the background. Smells fantastic

T - Like the smell, a sweet malty backbone, but no hop kick. Slight caramel taste.

M - Medium carbonated.

O - A decent beer, but for the price, not worth it. The appearance and aroma gave me high expectations, but the taste let me down

05-23-2011 21:36:00 | More by BeerDawgs
51mmz0rz

3.98/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a 750mL bottle, cork dated 01/04/12 into a Duvel tulip.

A: Murky brown body with a tight looking off white head.

S: Hops, sweetness, a little stinky to be honest. Maybe some darker crystal malt aromas.

T: Strong hoppiness and crystal malt flavors with a hint of Belgian yeast. No sign of brett or other Flanders red characteristics.

M: Nicely thick and well carbonated.

O: This beer really doesn't fit the style at all, but it's still a reasonable beer. I would describe it as a Belgian barleywine.

05-18-2011 01:30:47 | More by 51mmz0rz
Sabonis

1.7/5  rDev -47.2%

Dark amber in the glass. Smashed fruit smell, alchohol, ferment. Taste is bitter and sweet like a DIPA. Really, really boozy. Not a Flanders Red at all and not a good surprise. Some beers defy a label (like Troegs beers) but this just defies good taste. Drain pour half the bottle. Quite expensive too. A failure.

05-15-2011 17:38:13 | More by Sabonis
zaphodchak

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

About .75 fingers of pale orangey head and the cloudy orange brown color that I associate with great beer. Nice lacing.

A bit of tartness on the nose, but not nearly as much as you'd expect form a Flemish sour. Plenty of coconut... kind of a fruit punch? Possibly some pineapple.

Taste is pungent. Powerful coconut; this is dominant. A trace of pineapple and plenty of hop bitterness to balance out what would otherwise be syrupy piña colada flavour. Slightly raisiny. Not at all what I would've thought of for a Flemish sour, but unique and complex. The hops kind of takes over the aftertaste, cleaning up the finish at the expense of extra bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pleasant and creamy, but with some texture-- works well with the flavor.

Overall, this is a sipper. Not super-drinkable, but decently complex. Not something to pair with most foods, but I could see this for desert with yellow cake.

05-10-2011 03:21:56 | More by zaphodchak
AlexFields

Tennessee

1.43/5  rDev -55.6%

I drank this a couple months ago, just getting around to posting some old reviews.

APPEARANCE: Nothing excited, just a typical amber color.

SMELL: Malty. I may detect a faint trace of sourness, or that might just be my expectations telling me I should.

TASTE: This is terrible. It tastes like an aged DIPA, and I mean that in the worst possible way. Just a huge malt bomb with a faint trace of faded hops and ZERO sourness. The malts aren't even interesting, just that awful maltiness that's supposed to be hidden behind a big hop profile and only develops after the hops die. Maybe the hops would have made this beer drinkable when fresher but at this point it's nowhere close to enjoyable.

MOUTHFEEL: Wasn't paying a lot of attention to mouthfeel when drinking this as the flavor was just that bad. Suffice it to say the mouthfeel didn't stand out as a redeeming quality.

OVERALL: An epic fail. This was not even close to being a Flanders Red as advertised, nor to being any other kind of sour. I've never had another beer that was intended to be a sour that had literally NO detectable sourness or funk in the flavor. Incredible that this thing passed quality control. Truly awful, I would rather drink a PBR by far. Three of us forced down a few sips of this and then poured it out.

05-04-2011 18:46:42 | More by AlexFields
flannelman808

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Deep orange amber with a lot of haze, some light does shine through. Off white- light tan head forms with good retention and good lacing. Medium sized bubbles.

S: Crystal malt big time ... smells like an aged Dipa (a travesty). Funky fruity notes follow as an afterthought (overripe/rotting grapes and strawberry?) along with oak and pine cone half and half? Werid. Though mostly its the crystal malt.

T: Funky Dipa. like a fruitier version of "It's Alive" from Mikkeller. In a thought; A big oaky presence meets chewy caramel, all swimming in pine needles sprinkled with old moldy strawberries. Sweet in the end but lots of bitterness there too (I feel like as a DIPA i would be very displeased. Funk and fruit fall into the back stage.

M: Chewy

O: ehh I'm not so pleased with this whole concept. Not really a great merging of flavors. Oh and for the record this beer is not "Tart" or "sour" as is indicated on the back of the bottle. To call this thing an Imperial Flanders Red Ale is blasphemous.

+1 to the Blue Balls'ing ones wallet with this thing too.

04-28-2011 07:30:48 | More by flannelman808
twiggamortis420

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

750 mL bottle pours a hazed copper color with a fat cap of tan head. Nice retention and lacing, a good looking brew.

Nose is strangely full of tropical hops and bready yeast. Not a whole lot of sourness, but a bit of tart fruitiness. Some toast and caramel as it warms, might be too complex for its own good.

Taste seriously lacks the sourness needed for a flanders red. I get the hops and the malts of Big Hoppy Monster, but mostly just light brett and some bready yeast from the Belgian side. Tartness is so far in the background it is ridiculous. Calling this a flanders is slanderous, but defined as a decent wild ale would work here. Big disappointment for 20 dollars. My wallet's balls are turning blue as I type, strangely enough.

04-09-2011 00:33:48 | More by twiggamortis420
CampusCrew

2.2/5  rDev -31.7%

is this a joke? Were they shooting for a over malty, unbalanced, non-sour flanders red ale? Pours mucky brown, great head lacing. Lots of floating yeasties. But the flavor is lacking. I don't think I got a bad bottle. I just think this was an experiement that went wrong. Very suprised from a reputable brewery like De Proef but Terrapin has been off for awhile. I just don't know whats up with them latley....

Hello???? this is a sour ale and imperial at that. It's not sour!!!!

04-08-2011 02:44:23 | More by CampusCrew
OBeerMeGreatOne

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a deep red with a pretty frothy beige head. Webs of lace are left behind.
The smell starts off nice and sour. The sour cherry smell fades quickly though, which disappoints me a little. Earth and bread fill out the rest of the nose.
The tast is barely tart, it gets a bit better as it warms, but still remains pretty mild. Bread, bandaid, earth and a slightly medicinal hop note fill out the middle. There is a bit of alcohol spice at the finish.
Not bad, but it doesn't hold well with the style, at least not well enough to hit a top rating. I did enjoy the bottle, but won't pick up another.

03-23-2011 00:50:43 | More by OBeerMeGreatOne
silentjay

3.38/5  rDev +5%

hazy mahogany with a decent sized light khaki colored head that quickly recedes, but leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

going from the style characteristics, I'm expecting vinegar, tart fruits, and yeasty funkiness. what i get is quite different. lots of caramel, rye toast, nuts, citrus fruit, a bit of tropical fruit, plenty of hops. just a touch of mustiness beneath it all.

odd flavor, that comes in stages, and isn't entirely unpleasant. starts a touch metallic, but caramel and toffee flavors sweeten it up, some rye bread is detected, then some citrus hops and fruity flavors come in, and it finishes with a mustiness. not tart at all, just a bit musty.

a bit astringent on a medium bodied brew that has ample prickly carbonation and a funky aftertaste.

its just okay... on sale for $8.99 for the 750ml bottle, so I picked a couple up. I hope the one I'm cellaring picks up some added brett characteristics. otherwise, this drinks like a boozy and slightly hoppy belgian amber. meh.

03-19-2011 04:18:39 | More by silentjay
SkeeterHawk

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

I picked this beer up at the downtown Spec's a couple days ago. An imperial Flanders definitely looks interesting to a sour-puss like myself, so let's give this a shot:

Appearance: Initially pours a murky brown color with a solid 1" of creamy tan bubbles on top that slowly starts to fade after a minute or so. There is some lacing left on the glass, and the head never seems to want to quit. The beer really never clarifies.

Aroma: I initially got a dry earthy aroma that seemed like it was wood derived along with the expected ripe fruit. After the beer has sat for a little while, the head is still pretty thick, but I am getting clearly defined American hops in here...which is quite odd I must say.

Taste: The flavor is somewhat malty in the beginning with some dark caramel leading the flavor profile, but this quickly turns acidic due to the wild yeast and high hop combination. The finish is a bit harsh. It has hops drying things out in an already very well attenuated beer, and then after all this is just about all you can take, the alcohol sets in and adds heat to the mix...which is just about as welcome as rubbing alcohol is on an open-wound at this point.

Opinion: Wow. All I can say is wow. I really have no idea if this was what they were shooting for or if the batch just went south so they decided to be creative on the packaging. I would say that this is a beer that even the brew-master could only drink a little bit of. Not because it is so wild, but because it is unbalanced. There are flavors there that could be the making of a good beer, but the American hops start to screw things up and then it doesn't get any better from there. I would say, stay away from this one unless you are a serious hop-head that also loves sours...this may be for you. The hops push what I would consider a mediocre beer over the top for me, so it's not my "cup of tea".

02-23-2011 06:29:53 | More by SkeeterHawk
DefenCorps

Oregon

1.25/5  rDev -61.2%

On tap at 72 Hours of Belgium yesterday. Quite amazing.

Hazy red with a thin, white off-head. The nose is oxidized aramel, cardboard and sweetened prunes. The palate has wet cardboard, a mild tartness and is rather disgusting. Thin, papery and lacking in sourness, this is nothing more than an epic fail. Side by side with the Rodenbach 2008, it was no contest.

02-19-2011 14:47:32 | More by DefenCorps
smakawhat

Maryland

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Plastic composite cork (long one) in bottle with a weak pop upon removing. Pours a solid 2 fingers with uniform creamy looking bubbles. Off cream head manages to stay around pretty well. Body is a cloudy dark red/orange, with small yeast chunks floating around. Very good lacing sticking to the glass.

Bouquet is cream. Real nice cream with a small mellow cherry fruit nose. Good but very small, not much else I can get.

Taste is a thick hop feel missing the chew fruit components I associate with Flanders. Decent hop but faint bitter and not as prominent only in the swallow, very dry feeling finish as well. Not very complimenting, I don't think this works very well, it's kind of a mess. The beer really needs aeration to get some of the cherry fruit out of it, it's so hard to detect even when doing so.

I can drink this but I am not really that impressed by it. I'll probably never have it again.

02-17-2011 02:31:12 | More by smakawhat
Jay888

2.3/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured into my Stone Sour Fest taster glass, with a little bit of unintended irony. Plastic cork, wrestled out with a corkscrew. If you can twist this out by hand, you are quite talented.
Copper colored, retains a nice head, slightly cloudy. Big time brown sugar/caramel, small time funk, way short on sour. Tastes like a lot of calories. I'm underwhelmed on all fronts. I'm a fan of beers from both breweries, but I am not thinking that this is the beer that the label deserves. I do like the rye and wood in the background, but it's just lost in sugar. No way I could finish a 750 ml bottle. I never drainpour beers but I do cook with them and that's where the rest of this went....

02-11-2011 23:36:37 | More by Jay888
OneDropSoup

3.8/5  rDev +18%

Thanks to Mavajo for the trade!

Poured into a tulip: Nice three fingers of buoyant beige head that drops slowly & leaves thick lacing. Body is bright-ish red-brown.

Smell is definitely hop-forward, with a cooked orange kind of punch, some zesty bitterness, & a sugary, malty periphery. A little booze. If I really reach down, I get a kind of tart cherry, but it's way down in there. Reminds me of a DIPA or even an American barleywine, & not my favorite profile for one, either.

The flavor is interesting: Goes from hoppy & citric at first into a brett funkiness that's kind of chalky & musty. A little caramel in the middle, but faint. Some tannic oaky qualities in the finish & the aftertaste, but then turns back to a moderate grapefruit peel bitterness. Can't say I love it, but definitely interesting.

Full-bodied, starts off tingly, smooths out with the malts in the middle & ends tannic.

Not bad, & definitely a worthy experiment, but I feel like it overshoots a little bit. The Flemish qualities are overshadowed by the hoppiness. I should have no problem finishing the bottle, but I doubt this is one I'd go to regularly.

EDIT: A little further in, the hops subside a little & the oak grows, leaving a banana-like quality in the aftertaste. Bumping the taste up a little.

02-08-2011 21:06:30 | More by OneDropSoup
notchucknorris

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

Had on tap at Churchills in San Marcos

A: Dark brown with a slightly reddish hue and an absolutely perfect creamy head. Reminded me of the head of a proper Irish Guinness.

S: Tons of caramel malts in the smell along with a slight hop presence and some bourbon.

T: I was a little taken back by the taste of this one as I was expecting it to be sour. Really, there wasn't much sour about it. Right away, the malts hit you palate along with some milk chocolate sweetness and some bourbon. Soon after, there were some flavors I can only describe as red delicious apples and soy sauce. Then, the beer fades quickly to a finish that was a little too bitter for my liking. It's not that I don't like bitter, it's that it didn't make sense with the rest of the flavors. Worth a try if you can find it, but not fantastic.

02-06-2011 22:48:41 | More by notchucknorris
Donnie2112

Alaska

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Uncorked and poured into a Lindemans flute

Looks like: The body of the beer has hues or red, brown, amber and orange. The head is rather thick, the head creates a clinging lace as well, looks very nice.

Smells like: Brown sugar, cherries and a hint of vinegar

Tastes like: This beer is sweet like brown sugar, perceptible bittering from the hops and just a hair of sourness. This style is something that I am not familiar with, I mean obviously I've had a Flemish Red, but conceptually the Imperial Flemish Red is quite unique. I was expecting more sourness and a bit less in the hops department, still, it's a tasty beer.

Feels like: The mouthfeel is fine, it's got nice carbonation, full body and finishes with solid astringent hops.

Drinks like: It's fine, I was expecting something quite different, I was disappointed mainly because I was expecting some real sourness and I didn't get it. Probably won't seek this one out again but I don't feel gypped.

01-27-2011 09:49:44 | More by Donnie2112
Swimsum

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev +5%

Date on cork says 1/4/11 (or 10 or 12, the year is sort of smugged). Poured into a NB Globe.

Poured out a cloudy auburn color. A white colored head emerges from the liquid and settles to a thin layer that sits atop. Some spotty lacing is left on the glass as the liquid recedes.

Very interesting smell. It's sweet but like a funky sweet. Caramel comes though as well as some fruit and a bit of funk. The caramel reminds me of the caramel squares you can buy. There is a bit of hop/citrus but not very powerful.

Again, interesting. A lot of caramel in the taste. There is some hop bitterness that follows after the caramel. I was expecting a bit of citrus hop since that's what I got in the nose but it's more of a floral/herb bitterness. Not sure how well it works with the caramel flavor that for me dominates the taste.

Medium bodied but not exactly thick. Don't notice a lot of carbonation. Goes down well enough and the alcohol on this is well hidden. However, this is pretty young (if the date on the cork was a bottled on date) and I think it needs time.

Like I just mentioned, this is pretty young and could benefit from time cellaring. I don't know if I've ever had an "Imperial Flanders" but for me this wasn't an easy drink. If I buy again it will be to cellar for a bit.

01-21-2011 05:44:36 | More by Swimsum
zeff80

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +23.6%

A - Poured out a cloudy, copper color with a small, off-white head of sudsy foam. It left some soapy trails of lace.

S - It smelled funky and phenolic. Some fruity notes, too.

T - Very unique. It was spicy, funky and fruity. The oak brought out some vanilla notes as the beer continued to warm up.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - I really liked this. It was quite unique. Not your typical Flanders Red Ale but it was good.

01-18-2011 02:02:07 | More by zeff80
emerge077

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%

After trying this on tap and getting nothing but butterscotch, I was hesitant to open the bottle I had picked up previously. I'm happy to report it's far better than the tap sample I had.

Synthetic cork dated "01/04/12" and unusually long. Into a tulip this pours with a thick blanket of creamy, sticky foam. It laces all over the glass. A transparent skim is left after several minutes.

Resiny green hop aroma at first, segueing into sweet overripe fruit, oak traces, and unique Belgian yeast.

Very malt forward, spicy and bready rye and crystal malt, notes of citrus, toasted oak, and dried orange peel and bitter cranberry tannins. Lightly bitter aftertaste. Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Fairly robust and malt driven. No hint of Brett mentioned on the label. Not hard to sip at all, just throw out any preconceived ideas or expectations of a Flanders ale.

This is obviously a "hybrid style" beer and no Flanders Red Ale at all. More an "Imperial American Red Ale" if splitting hairs. Slamming decent beers in reviews may be the trend du jour, but this one doesn't deserve it.

01-16-2011 23:21:34 | More by emerge077
axeman9182

3.45/5  rDev +7.1%

750mL bottle, poured into my Duvel tulip after a long struggle with the cork.

Monstre Rouge pours a fairly unappealing murky brown that lightens somewhat around the edges. The first thing it makes me think of is brown pond scum, unfortunately. The yellow cake colored head only rises to about 3 fingers in head, but shows some excellent retention and leaves a fair amount of lacing behind to boot, saving the appearance. The nose isn't bad, about what I'd expect given the description on the bottle. A heavy hand of caramel, some citrusy american hops, and a faint whiff of funk. It basically smells like Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster with Brett, not a bad thing if you ask me. The beer starts out beautifully, caramel opens things up before fading to a blend of spicy rye and straight oak. Then things take a turn for the worse, as a big punch of hop bitterness (expected) transitions not to a dose of piny/citrusy hop goodness, but just a slight barnyard brett note. This wouldn't be a problem, except for that the brett is so slight, it effectively leaves the bitterness as the last flavor on my palate for every sip. The body is surprisingly full for a beer infected with brett, and at the same time the carbonation is a bit lacking. Overall the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy. I think I may have caught Monstre Rouge at an awkward time. Old enough that the hops have faded to make room for the brett, yet young enough to that the wild yeast hasn't truly asserted itself yet. Still, this bottle wasn't a chore to drink, just not a pleasure either.

01-13-2011 04:01:06 | More by axeman9182
Nattyp

Louisiana

4.4/5  rDev +36.6%

Appearance: Deep caramel color poured into a Corsendonk tulip
very opaquely unfiltered and lots of visible sediment. Nice creaminess to the minimal head that formed in the glass, Lasting for quite a while.

Aroma: Very nice very familiar, Very similar to a heavily oaked Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. Lots of oak on the nose, Highly evident Caramel as well..

Taste: Light carbonation. Complex but not too complicated, at first, the perfumed hops start to make an appearance, followed by perfectly balanced caramel sweetness then it all evolved into a floral experience, with pine and juniper hinting on the finish.With ABV being 9%, Alcohol is hidden in all the smooth corners of this well constructed ale. For quite a good amount of time, the flavors linger on the tongue.. Not detecting too much of the Flanders red profiles such as sourness and fruitiness but delicious. Nice quality..

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, not too rich and not too thin, just right for the combined styles of Flanders red with good amount of hops added and the high ABV is not evident with each sip, which is a great characteristic that let's you savor the very clean hoppy flavors. Overall, this is a great collaberation effort from Terrapin and De Proef. Solid. Would definitely buy and drink again, with friends next time ..

01-13-2011 03:26:06 | More by Nattyp
beerhan

2.85/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750 into a snifter.

Very little head but a white lace remains the entire time. Nice dark red/brown color with a decent amount of carbonation but not completely opaque. Smells like roses, lemon, cake. Tastes like a slightly sour rotted lemon cake with some chocolate and this weird hoppy character. The little carbonation feels good until the taste comes back around. Hardly drinkable, but I did get it down. Would not recommend this to anyone.

01-11-2011 18:14:58 | More by beerhan
Monstre Rouge from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)