Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 04-30-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -56.8%

The evening starting innocently enough, the remants of tropical storm Nicholas were crashing ashore. Winds were whipping about 20-30mps out of the NW. Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. The Bengals lost....again. My lovely little wife was out having dinner with a girlfriend in town. I tried tieing a bimini twist knot for the upteenth time with no luck and only minor injuries to my hands. Let's have a beer I say to myself, how about this little stubby 11.5 oz brown belgian with the beige label. The BelgianBum gave it to me, I have been saving it. Sounds interesting...Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale. Hmmmm Luxembourg sounds interesting too, but I have never been there. Oh well here we go.
Bottled popped with an audible Phhffffttt ! Medium golden in color. Big creamy white head, more dense than your average Denny's Dishwasher. I mean that in a good way.
The smell was odd to say the least, "wild" is a misnomer. In 1991 as a 20 year old college student, I went to the Kentucky Derby, spent 10 long hours in the infield of Churchill Downs, met several future ex-wives, never saw a horse and woke up in the parking lot the next morning, shoeless, with a smell of stale beer, fresh cut grass, horse urine, and wet dog overcoming me. This beer smelled exactly like that May morning 12 years ago. Ugghhh. Wild, vulgar, and nasty all at once. Unbelievable. Odd tasting tart, spritzy, bubbly sweet champagne like taste. I thought this would be like a spicy belgian dubbel. Instead it's the bastard son of a sun skunked Duvel and Andre Brut Champagne. Sweetness fades, dryness in the body, then a chalky, metallic lingering finish. Sour puckering aftertaste. I drank it all, and seriously regret it. Highly charged, bubbly carbonation, but very hard to drink. Sorry Bum, I couldn't get into this one.

1.91/5  rDev -50.9%

Wow, this tasted terrible. Pure nasty yeast and funkiness. Just to be sure and scientific about things, I tried it out of another glass and out of the bottle. The rest went down the drain. I normally like BSPAs, but I actually thought this would be a wild/sour type ale based on the name. Either way, it was disgusting no matter what you call it.

Just happened to see this at a BevMo that I'd never been to before and thought it looked interesting. This just reminds me that I need to do proper research before trying a beer I've never heard of. I'm sorry, but this beer angered me deeply.

1.92/5  rDev -50.6%

Wow, this is not a good beer. It has the color of a cloudy urine sample. The smell is horribly sour. The taste might be better, but when you catch the whiff of the smell it almost turned my stomach. The mouthfeel is alright, but nothing to write home about. There is no way I would ever buy this beer again.

2.1/5  rDev -46%

Poured an opaque tawny gold with little head. Faint Belgian pale malt backbone behind strong spices - some allspice, clove, mainly other strong, bold spices I can't identify - and honey with white grape juice. Taste is sweet, not unlike unfermented malt, and honey followed by the heavy spices as in the aroma and some umami. This one feels thick and syrupy with a dry finish.

Really not a fan. This was too thick and sweet, and the complexity derives from overbearing spices. I almost dislike the spices in this as much as cinnamon in a beer. Almost. This one is heavy handed, which is not something you want in a Belgian. Give me an IPA to get this cough syrupy feel out of my mouth please.

2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

A: Pours a cloudy pale golden color. A tall, firm head that lasts. Very well carbonated.

S: Great smell, with citrus, pineapple, bready, yeasty scents.

T: Not too sour for a wild ale. This beer has a strong metallic taste that lingers. The metalic taste gets stronger with every sip. This really ruined the beer for me and overpowered some of the other pleasant flavors I could see were there; bread, Brett, spice, malt, bitter, lemon, and strong pineapple flavors were all there but were all overpowered by a metallic taste.

M: Good body for such a pale beer, good carbonation.

O: I see the taste reviews vary quite a bit for this beer and that many people loved it. Maybe this has one of those flavors some people can taste but others cannot, but the metallic taste was very unpleasant and overpowering to me. It just lingered and lingered in my mouth and ruined my tongue for the night. I tried to enjoy a Heady Topper after this one and all I could still taste was the metal flavor of the Reinaert. Yikes, I could not even enjoy a Heady!

I like wild Ales and funky flavors, but not this one. Never again.

2.31/5  rDev -40.6%

750 mL bottle shared by Sgt. Geist.

Pours a chilled, clouded pale golden with a flat white head that fades to a thin ring. To be polite, the aroma is off putting. Slight butter, with grain and light yeast. Sweet and grainy flavor, not particularly desirable with some apple and oak. Highly carbonated and medium light body. Ok, I'm done.

2.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Apricot colored with a decent off-white head, good carbonation, and a touch of lace. Intense sour Brett aroma with big barnyard smells and a touch of fruitiness. More intense sour Brett flavors akin to chewing on raw rhubarb (very sour). Light-medium bodied and airy with an intense dry finish...

NOT what I consider a Belgian Strong Pale Ale ... could this be a Straight (unblended) Lambic-style Ale ?? Not sure since I've never had one of those...

Whew ! every beer has it's place and unfortunately the place for the last part of this one was down the drain ... too intense for me to finish.

Per label: "Triple fermented using two yeast strains" & "Saccharomyces - Brettanomyces" & "Bottle Conditioned"

Per MJ notes: 2 row pilsner and pale malts. Hallertau (bittering) and Styrian Goldings (aromatic). 16P (1064).

(11.2 oz. short fat brown bottle)

2.42/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

750ml corked & caged. Looks pale gold with almost no head. Smells of banana, cloves, honey, and sour cherries. Taste is very sour, with a musky stable-like taste. It has a wet hay, very very sour taste. The mouthfeel is spot-on with nice carbonation up front and a great slick finish. Drinkability is limited by the sourness. It seems like a good execution of a style that just is not for me. Wow. Wood, hay, and sour-y sour. I'm sure someone will love this. Someone who isn't me.
An addendum. When it warms, it smells...um....like....well....let's not beat around the bush. urine.

2.56/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by Huhzubendah. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours a slightly hazed light yellow color with a very set head and n real lacing. A bit of a collar. The nose carries some wry faint grain and straw with just a touch of spice. Flavor has lots of lit grain. Not terribly appetizing. Light with plenty of carbonation. Dry finish. Nothing exiting.

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer is not horrible but its not amazing or delightful. i thought it was too sweet / too much carmel flavor and had a rough after taste. not likely that i would search for this beer ever again. its not a horrible beer (ie didnt leave me with a headache) but i wasnt that into the taste.

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Grabbed this beer on a whim to try something new.

A - copper colored with a nice lacey white head. Looks great.

S - I can smell some funk and some slight sour fruit, but not very strong in this department.

T - Very funky, yeasty, and slight acidity and sour bit. Tastes of green apple and sweet red apple. Still rather light in this department of flavor. To me, funk is something that backs up to a flavor profile, but without much sweetness going on in a wild ale, there is not much the funk can do.

M - creamy, and light mouthfeel. In and out. Not much left behind. Nice for something belgian. The slight funky aftertaste isn't all that great without the sweetness to balance it out.

D - having a hard time downing this one. Too yeasty, funky and unbalanced to be really that good. The 9% abv. is hidden, but the aftertaste is just too much to be good.

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer is seriously bad. Really? It calls itself a flemish wild ale but is listed as a Belgian strong pale, and it tastes like the good parts of neither.

I've had a few good beers tonight already and I'm ready to drain pour all $9 of this mistake.

Bitter in a bad way, not sour, bad Belgian funk without the good, and it's ugly. Only thing going well is that it is pretty well carbonated. Pass

2.71/5  rDev -30.3%

The beer is clear and golden hued with a half inch of bubbly, white head. The aroma consists of yeast, apples, malt, alcohol. The flavor is a bit weak, with apple juice, booze, and some oak. Eh...Thin body, watery even. Just not that good. Not a good example of either a wild ale or Belgian strong pale ale.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Good color, head and lacing. Only slightly sour. Tropical fruit flavor and ginger, medicinal spice. Odd funk. Unbalanced. Leaves a rough aftertaste in its wake. Tastes almost as if it's been infected. I would suggest looking elsewhere for a good sour.

2.82/5  rDev -27.5%

A - Poured a hazy orange color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Is of fruits spiced yeast and a little funky

T - Starts off with with some apple then has a not so good funky yeasty finish

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - I just didn't really enjoy this beer at all in the taste department and it seems over carbonated to me and I do like BSPAs and Flemish ales so this isn't a beer I'd recommend anytime soon

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel Tulip a fairly cloudy amber. Nice beige head that left decent lacing. Smelled musty and sour - dank. some hints of sour citrus. A bit off-putting. Body is somewhat smooth, but this is a highly carbonated brew. Seems to rise up on your tongue and expand in your mouth. Better by the second glass, but not great.

The taste. Where do I even go with this. Not as retchingly bad as my first Cantillion Geuze, but approaching that neighborhood. If there were any other tastes hinted at in the smell, they are lost to the overwhleming tartness of the beer.

This made me appreciate the milder sourness of Flanders Reds and JP's that much more. I finished my bomber, but I'll not be buying this again.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Drinking expensive beer for the hell of it.

A - Pours gold. Uh-oh....where's the head? Cork was in good condition.

S - Apple juice, some old shoe funk...smells like a Jolly Pumpkin beer.

T - Not as apple as the smell promised. Hoppy. Tastes a lot like Les Deux Brasseurs, except...

F - ...it's flat. Dead flat. Not ONE bubble to be found.

D - Damn it, this was way too expensive to be a drain pour. There was no reason to believe this was a bad bottle, so this pretty much pisses me off. This won't make me boycott a killer brewery like DeProef, though...I'll get over it by drinking a Les Deux Brasseurs.

A - About a 1.5 finger of mostly white head. Slightly yellow. Body is only slightly cloudy and wheat/gold in color. Strong lacing.

S - A little more earthy than I was expecting. Belgian yeast. Sweet and banana.

T - Belgian yeast, cloyee, and banana. Not good. More cloves and lots of citrus. Lemon and grapefruit.

M - Solid carbonation on a body you want for this style. Light but also a little chalky.

O - Hard to give it such a high overall score but everything was so good. Flavor makes it almost a drain pour. I knew an $11 Belgian Wild was too good to be true.

3.09/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: Bright orange/yellow and opaque. Fizzy four finger white head.

Aroma: Lots of belgian yeast esters. A hint of tart vinegar.

Taste: Pretty much comes off as a bit of a bland Belgian Pale Ale. The hint of tartness that comes at first that would suggest the Flemish/Wild Ale style is no where near strong enough to warrant that classification. What's left is a semi-sweet apple and pear flavor with very moderate bitterness. Lingering aftertaste of tartness and club soda. Hard to detect that 9% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with tons of effervescence. Average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale is not what I expected it to be and as a result a let-down. It seems stuck between styles with no specific flavors. Would I drink it again? No.

3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours slightly cloudy with the consistency and color of ginger ale. Smells only of brett funk. First sip is sour that is mostly funk. It bites with strength and conviction. It is fairly sour but the brett funk dominates and is not for the wimpy. This beer will not be many people's gateway to sours. The body is extremely light and the high 9% ABV is well hidden. As it warms some of the funk fades along with almost all of the carbonation - strange. Over time the beer becomes less and less tolerable.

3.11/5  rDev -20.1%

330 ml bottle purchased from the Pizza Port Bottle Shop for about five bucks, reviewed from notes, poured into my Chimay goblet, light yellow color with a hint of orange tint, two inch soapy white head, pretty weak lacing but some decent retention, aroma has light hops, floral accents, light malts, citrus, oranges, lemons, and mildly wild yeast, flavor starts off crisp and dry with a very minor tartiness for the first few sips that went away later on, dry yeast and hops in the middle, finish has a lot of sweetness and hot alcohol, Belgian sugars and yeast add to the sweetness once it warms, thick and not typical of a wild ale, too strong and overpowering, slightly dry, sweet, and boozy mouthfeel, medium bodied, lighter side of carbonation, taste lingers pretty long, could not drink much more of this, heavy stuff and is filling even on an empty stomach, too sweet and boozy for my palate, not very wild and barely any tart at the beginning only, booze overpower this beer quite a bit, probably would not drink again, worth trying

3.17/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Cloudy light amber color, ton of yeast in bottom of bottle. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Sour nose. Flavor is tart with some sweetness, mellow fruity finish. High ABV not noticeable. $3.99 for a 330ml bottle from John's Market Place Tigard, Or.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Looked good. Poured with a decent head.
S: Sour. No malt or hops to speak of.
T: Sour. Good. Enjoyed the taste. Sour fruit came to mind. A little overpowering.
M: Prickly from the carbonation. I think that played with the sourness to accentuate the experience.
D: Overall, not bad. Not my favorite Flemish, but still tasty. I would order another one, as long as I had a break in the middle.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

First time seeing this beer in the local shop, pours a nice golden color with a billowy white head. Smells of brett, but not overpowering. Taste is a bit dissapointing, as I was hoping for something with a bit more tang, but otherwise a rather balanced belgian ale. Overall a very drinkable beer and the alcohol is hidden quite well.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Hazy, golden blonde appearance with a white, froth-like rocky head. Lacing clings in disparate bands down the glass.

S: Definitely sour with notes of apple and lemon which is influenced by the wild yeast.

T&M: Starts sour and finishes hoppy with a hint of barley in between. As I continue this 750 the sourness fades and the hops come forth stronger. As previous reviewers have stated, there is a grass/hay/barley flavor throughout. A commendable effort in keeping the alcohol flavor in check, considering it's 9% ABV. Other ales approaching double-digit ABVs are not as capable of keeping this in check as this brew.

D: Not bad going down. Not terribly complex in my opinion. There is a lightness to this ale that would make it a decent session brew for the summer months.

Conclusion: This is an okay showing. I think the look and smell of this brew is more rewarding than the actual flavor. Sure you get a good shot of "Brett" yeast, but there are more complex and interesting offerings out there. I'd suggest Brewery Ommegang's "Ommegeddon" as a more interesting alternative to this.

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)