Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 04-30-2003)
View: Beers (102) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale Alström Bros
crhea89

12-21-2013 09:42:09 | More by crhea89
ScottStache

03-17-2014 20:06:20 | More by ScottStache
StevieW

1.68/5  rDev -56.9%

The evening starting innocently enough, the remants of tropical storm Nicholas were crashing ashore. Winds were whipping about 20-30mps out of the NW. Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. The Bengals lost....again. My lovely little wife was out having dinner with a girlfriend in town. I tried tieing a bimini twist knot for the upteenth time with no luck and only minor injuries to my hands. Let's have a beer I say to myself, how about this little stubby 11.5 oz brown belgian with the beige label. The BelgianBum gave it to me, I have been saving it. Sounds interesting...Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale. Hmmmm Luxembourg sounds interesting too, but I have never been there. Oh well here we go.
Bottled popped with an audible Phhffffttt ! Medium golden in color. Big creamy white head, more dense than your average Denny's Dishwasher. I mean that in a good way.
The smell was odd to say the least, "wild" is a misnomer. In 1991 as a 20 year old college student, I went to the Kentucky Derby, spent 10 long hours in the infield of Churchill Downs, met several future ex-wives, never saw a horse and woke up in the parking lot the next morning, shoeless, with a smell of stale beer, fresh cut grass, horse urine, and wet dog overcoming me. This beer smelled exactly like that May morning 12 years ago. Ugghhh. Wild, vulgar, and nasty all at once. Unbelievable. Odd tasting tart, spritzy, bubbly sweet champagne like taste. I thought this would be like a spicy belgian dubbel. Instead it's the bastard son of a sun skunked Duvel and Andre Brut Champagne. Sweetness fades, dryness in the body, then a chalky, metallic lingering finish. Sour puckering aftertaste. I drank it all, and seriously regret it. Highly charged, bubbly carbonation, but very hard to drink. Sorry Bum, I couldn't get into this one.

11-03-2003 02:52:13 | More by StevieW
Raziel313

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

01-30-2014 04:55:40 | More by Raziel313
Trappissed

1.8/5  rDev -53.8%

Wow, this tasted terrible. Pure nasty yeast and funkiness. Just to be sure and scientific about things, I tried it out of another glass and out of the bottle. The rest went down the drain. I normally like BSPAs, but I actually thought this would be a wild/sour type ale based on the name. Either way, it was disgusting no matter what you call it.

Just happened to see this at a BevMo that I'd never been to before and thought it looked interesting. This just reminds me that I need to do proper research before trying a beer I've never heard of. I'm sorry, but this beer angered me deeply.

07-27-2009 03:07:59 | More by Trappissed
Hex92

1.95/5  rDev -50%

Wow, this is not a good beer. It has the color of a cloudy urine sample. The smell is horribly sour. The taste might be better, but when you catch the whiff of the smell it almost turned my stomach. The mouthfeel is alright, but nothing to write home about. There is no way I would ever buy this beer again.

09-14-2004 04:09:12 | More by Hex92
davidwhatshisnam

05-08-2014 01:30:47 | More by davidwhatshisnam
imscotty

2.05/5  rDev -47.4%

A: Pours a cloudy pale golden color. A tall, firm head that lasts. Very well carbonated.

S: Great smell, with citrus, pineapple, bready, yeasty scents.

T: Not too sour for a wild ale. This beer has a strong metallic taste that lingers. The metalic taste gets stronger with every sip. This really ruined the beer for me and overpowered some of the other pleasant flavors I could see were there; bread, Brett, spice, malt, bitter, lemon, and strong pineapple flavors were all there but were all overpowered by a metallic taste.

M: Good body for such a pale beer, good carbonation.

O: I see the taste reviews vary quite a bit for this beer and that many people loved it. Maybe this has one of those flavors some people can taste but others cannot, but the metallic taste was very unpleasant and overpowering to me. It just lingered and lingered in my mouth and ruined my tongue for the night. I tried to enjoy a Heady Topper after this one and all I could still taste was the metal flavor of the Reinaert. Yikes, I could not even enjoy a Heady!

I like wild Ales and funky flavors, but not this one. Never again.

01-26-2013 03:39:42 | More by imscotty
Philousa

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured an opaque tawny gold with little head. Faint Belgian pale malt backbone behind strong spices - some allspice, clove, mainly other strong, bold spices I can't identify - and honey with white grape juice. Taste is sweet, not unlike unfermented malt, and honey followed by the heavy spices as in the aroma and some umami. This one feels thick and syrupy with a dry finish.

Really not a fan. This was too thick and sweet, and the complexity derives from overbearing spices. I almost dislike the spices in this as much as cinnamon in a beer. Almost. This one is heavy handed, which is not something you want in a Belgian. Give me an IPA to get this cough syrupy feel out of my mouth please.

05-01-2012 03:19:30 | More by Philousa
Taperwookie

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

03-05-2014 22:41:44 | More by Taperwookie
RBorsato

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

Apricot colored with a decent off-white head, good carbonation, and a touch of lace. Intense sour Brett aroma with big barnyard smells and a touch of fruitiness. More intense sour Brett flavors akin to chewing on raw rhubarb (very sour). Light-medium bodied and airy with an intense dry finish...

NOT what I consider a Belgian Strong Pale Ale ... could this be a Straight (unblended) Lambic-style Ale ?? Not sure since I've never had one of those...

Whew ! every beer has it's place and unfortunately the place for the last part of this one was down the drain ... too intense for me to finish.

Per label: "Triple fermented using two yeast strains" & "Saccharomyces - Brettanomyces" & "Bottle Conditioned"

Per MJ notes: 2 row pilsner and pale malts. Hallertau (bittering) and Styrian Goldings (aromatic). 16P (1064).

(11.2 oz. short fat brown bottle)

08-31-2005 18:25:42 | More by RBorsato
yourefragile

District of Columbia

2.28/5  rDev -41.5%

750 mL bottle shared by Sgt. Geist.

Pours a chilled, clouded pale golden with a flat white head that fades to a thin ring. To be polite, the aroma is off putting. Slight butter, with grain and light yeast. Sweet and grainy flavor, not particularly desirable with some apple and oak. Highly carbonated and medium light body. Ok, I'm done.

01-03-2012 00:42:26 | More by yourefragile
roblowther

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

750ml corked & caged. Looks pale gold with almost no head. Smells of banana, cloves, honey, and sour cherries. Taste is very sour, with a musky stable-like taste. It has a wet hay, very very sour taste. The mouthfeel is spot-on with nice carbonation up front and a great slick finish. Drinkability is limited by the sourness. It seems like a good execution of a style that just is not for me. Wow. Wood, hay, and sour-y sour. I'm sure someone will love this. Someone who isn't me.
An addendum. When it warms, it smells...um....like....well....let's not beat around the bush. urine.

03-14-2009 19:36:37 | More by roblowther

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

07-01-2014 15:21:10 | More by craft_shannie
ryandurka

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

This beer is not horrible but its not amazing or delightful. i thought it was too sweet / too much carmel flavor and had a rough after taste. not likely that i would search for this beer ever again. its not a horrible beer (ie didnt leave me with a headache) but i wasnt that into the taste.

10-06-2008 11:03:02 | More by ryandurka
Thorpe429

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by Huhzubendah. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours a slightly hazed light yellow color with a very set head and n real lacing. A bit of a collar. The nose carries some wry faint grain and straw with just a touch of spice. Flavor has lots of lit grain. Not terribly appetizing. Light with plenty of carbonation. Dry finish. Nothing exiting.

01-03-2012 00:36:16 | More by Thorpe429
abecall98

2.6/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Grabbed this beer on a whim to try something new.

A - copper colored with a nice lacey white head. Looks great.

S - I can smell some funk and some slight sour fruit, but not very strong in this department.

T - Very funky, yeasty, and slight acidity and sour bit. Tastes of green apple and sweet red apple. Still rather light in this department of flavor. To me, funk is something that backs up to a flavor profile, but without much sweetness going on in a wild ale, there is not much the funk can do.

M - creamy, and light mouthfeel. In and out. Not much left behind. Nice for something belgian. The slight funky aftertaste isn't all that great without the sweetness to balance it out.

D - having a hard time downing this one. Too yeasty, funky and unbalanced to be really that good. The 9% abv. is hidden, but the aftertaste is just too much to be good.

10-03-2009 02:31:11 | More by abecall98
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

The beer is clear and golden hued with a half inch of bubbly, white head. The aroma consists of yeast, apples, malt, alcohol. The flavor is a bit weak, with apple juice, booze, and some oak. Eh...Thin body, watery even. Just not that good. Not a good example of either a wild ale or Belgian strong pale ale.

01-03-2012 00:39:26 | More by Huhzubendah

CSO

02-04-2014 05:06:22 | More by CSO
armock

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Poured a hazy orange color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Is of fruits spiced yeast and a little funky

T - Starts off with with some apple then has a not so good funky yeasty finish

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - I just didn't really enjoy this beer at all in the taste department and it seems over carbonated to me and I do like BSPAs and Flemish ales so this isn't a beer I'd recommend anytime soon

08-19-2010 12:00:44 | More by armock
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel Tulip a fairly cloudy amber. Nice beige head that left decent lacing. Smelled musty and sour - dank. some hints of sour citrus. A bit off-putting. Body is somewhat smooth, but this is a highly carbonated brew. Seems to rise up on your tongue and expand in your mouth. Better by the second glass, but not great.

The taste. Where do I even go with this. Not as retchingly bad as my first Cantillion Geuze, but approaching that neighborhood. If there were any other tastes hinted at in the smell, they are lost to the overwhleming tartness of the beer.

This made me appreciate the milder sourness of Flanders Reds and JP's that much more. I finished my bomber, but I'll not be buying this again.

03-26-2007 13:54:27 | More by Onibubba
Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)