Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 04-30-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale Alström Bros
Dukeofearl

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

I am a big fan of this brewer, and I bought this 750 ml bottle with great desire from Hi Time Wine in January 2007 for $8.99 (?). Pours a pretty translucent golden with a decent, but not exciting white head. Nice looking beer.

Aroma is at first sweet orange, but then morphs to tart limes and a weak organic mustiness. Flavor takes these, increases the organic, adds a weak sweetness, and a handful of spices (moderate black pepper and a few others I can't identify). Tasty, but I'm not loving it like some of my favorites from this brewer. Burps from the carbonation are somewhat mushroom-like. And I am actually disappointed by the drinkability- I know what they can do, why isn't that same smoothness here?

Overall, a decent brew, but I hoped for more from the geniuses at De Proef.

02-23-2007 04:23:15 | More by Dukeofearl
dgfair

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

25.4 oz. bottle served in my La Fin Du Monde tulip.

A - Beautiful golden straw color, almost completely clear except for the little bit of yeast that I let into the glass. Huge pillowy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving Brussels lace all over the glass.

S - Fresh lemony, yeasty smell that almost smells a little bit like Joy dishwashing soap (and no, that's not my soap in the glass). A tiny scent of sweet candi sugar that's balanced by a little bit of a sour aroma that faintly smells like a flanders red and a light peppery note as well.

T - A little bit of sweet, a little bit of coriander, and pretty strong metallic flavor make up the majority of the taste here. A little bit of a doughy flavor here that only comes out in certain swallows. Finally, a touch of alcohol in the aftertaste.

M - A very thick and creamy mouthfeel with quite a bit of carbonation. A nice sensation in the mouth with the competing bubbles and thickness.

D - For everything that's going on here, it's actually quite drinkable. Not sure why, but I'm having a tough time putting down the glass. High alcohol content is never overpowering and doesn't slow down the enjoyment of this belgian treat. Not one that I'll go back to very soon, but I'm glad that I had the opportunity to sample this unique beer.

02-23-2007 02:27:01 | More by dgfair
bluejacket74

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a light orange/gold color with a good sized white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. It smells yeasty and earthy, and a weird fruity/spicy smell too that I can't describe. The taste is yeasty, fruity sweet/sour at the same time. It's mainly apricots and a bit of apple I taste, but there's some other fruit in there. Mouthfeel is light/medium, and very crisp and dry. The drinkability is good, but the alcohol kicks in after a few drinks of the beer. Not a bad beer, I don't know if it's something I could drink all the time but I would definitely drink it again.

12-30-2006 02:17:48 | More by bluejacket74
sleazo

Poured a cloudy murky pale yellow into a .3L tulip glass. A good sized head remained as i sipped the beer. The smell was bready, yeasty and delicious. I could have sat there for a while just sniffing this one. The first sip hits you with a musty sourness. the mustiness continues as you let this one roll over your tongue. The aftertaste leaves you with some yeasty banana nut bread. All in all quite a delicious brew. The strong taste limits the drinkability somewhat however.

i really am loving these wild ales, quickly becoming my new favourite style

12-25-2006 18:33:11 | More by sleazo
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

A gentle pour produces a big head, and nice lacing. The color is an ever so slightly hazed goldenrod. Funky, yeasty aroma, with fruity malt.

The malt makes quite a showing against the funk. A fruity, wildly yeasty character combines with with the malt to create something I cannot interpret well enough to describe. I like it though. Mouthfeel is full and foamy. Drinkable to the extreme.

12-10-2006 00:12:29 | More by Sephiroth
blitheringidiot

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

My first bottle with a plastic cork in a cage.

Pours with a massive foamy ivory headcap that settles to a coasting leaving a full lace pattern in the glass.

Nose is a sour tart mouth puckering sharp funky wet leather! This is a showcase of brett.

First swigs: Instantly dry light vanilla and horse blaket straw flavor. Earthy with a light tartness in check. A touch of sour apple. Call George Clinton 'cos this one brought the funk! Hints of caramel.

Slick feel with a solid yet gentle carbonation. A linger wet leather follows a dry finish.

Last swigs: Just an edge away from a 4.5 in the flavor category. A little too fluffy and narrow. Excellent with Brie and green apple.

Beer is good. Happy downbeat funky beering.

11-27-2006 00:23:28 | More by blitheringidiot
SupaCelt

This legendery cunning fox of a brew fell into my glass with a dirty golden colour and sprouted a spitty off white coloured head. It is mildly carbonated. The nose is fruity and sour. The fruitiness is one that I am unable to specify although white grape comes to mind. It has a definite malty sugar presence that reminds the reviewer of candy. The taste is quite satisfying. It sort of reminds the reviewer of a white wine in the finish. I guess it must be the white grape impression leading me that way. It is sweet and sour. A bit of spiciness is noted. The beer is juicy and dare I say refreshing in a spritzer type fashion. It has a modicum of dryness which may be due in large part to alcohol which remains otherwise undetectable upon my palate. The mouthfeel is light, but the sugary aspects make it feel substantial. It seems to coat my teeth as though I were eating hard candies or something. The drinkability is good. This beer has a much welcomed flavour and it livens up my night simply by the alien nature of it. I am enjoying this and I have no regrets in its purchase. It is a worthy milestone as a 250th review by myself. Pleasurable indeed.

11-09-2006 07:15:13 | More by SupaCelt
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks Harry for sharing this rarity!
A generous capping white head. A hazy orange with light tones. A piercing aroma, yeasty with fermented fruit notes, overcoated by cloying tartness. Not quite so tart in the mouthfeel, surprisingly full of malt. Slight alcohol just before the finish. The high gravity makes this slightly too thin for the style. Flavours fails to develop through the tasting, even letting this one warm its hard to grasp much character. Boder-line tart - but really no sournness. Largely this fails to develop.

10-18-2006 00:10:22 | More by biegaman
lackenhauser

Maryland

Hazy, bright golden color. Decent carbonation level. Fluffy white head that is gone pretty quick. Great, funky, dirty feet smell to it. Musty and earthy. Big phenolic taste to it. Peppery and spicy flavors dominate. Very dry finish. Good mouthfeel-no hint of alcohol burn or other "hot" flavors. Very drinkable beer overall. Wasnt sure what I was getting into as a "wild ale". I had major gueze visions or the like. While not my favorite style this beer is very unique and satisfying. Well worth a try even if a bit pricey.

10-11-2006 00:28:59 | More by lackenhauser
ypsifly

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Undated stubby purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn and poured into a tulip.

Hazed orange under a huge head of white that falls to a thin ring in a matter of moments.

Sharp aromas of sour cherries and tart citrus with wooden barnyard funk and a pinch of sugar.

Initiallt tart and bone dry into very tart citrus with orange and lemon peels and some funky brett. Alcohol is present but well integrated.

The mouth is very dry and spritzy with some puckering towards the finish. I would like to try this with some mixed fruits and cheeses, but it drinks very well on its own. The abv does not hurt the drinkability.

07-31-2006 00:45:59 | More by ypsifly
WetCoaster

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: A clear straw gold with a pure white, creamy head. Good retention and nice lace.

Smell: Great -- if you know what to expect. A block of wood. Dipped in cheese. Sprinkled in herbs. With a side of hops. Served with a glass of apple cider.

Taste: Funkier than the Ohio Players opening for Bootsy Collins. I can't imagine how anyone could find this not "wild" enough; it damn near ripped off my tastebuds. Funky horseblanket, ripe cheese, dry, herbal bitters, with spicy hops and bright fruit at the finish. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

Drinkability: Not for everyone; possibly for no one. More than wild, just about out of control. Seriously, this is Slayer to Orval's Motley Crue. If you think you're up to it, quite a challenge.

07-08-2006 02:06:28 | More by WetCoaster
OStrungT

4.33/5  rDev +11%

This beer pours a cloudy yellow orange color, with a white head. The head fades slowly, leaving many laces. It fades to a thin layer on the top.

This beer has a yeasty earthy aroma. I can also smell some spices.It also has a slight sour fruit aroma. The alcohol is well hidden. I can also detect a very slight banana aroma.

This beer tastes spicy. Behind that, it tastes earthy. Not as sour as the aroma led me to believe. As with the aroma, the alcohol content is well hidden. It has a slight citrus hop flavor.

This beer is just a little over carbonated. It is full bodied. It leaves a slight spicy aftertaste. The ABV is almost not detectable.

I think this would be a good session beer, but one that you should be weary of due to the high alcohol content. It is a great beer, and I am glad to have tried it.

04-10-2006 03:59:36 | More by OStrungT
audiojon

3.55/5  rDev -9%

I don't quite know what to make of this one. It's slightly tart, but not what I expected from a "wild ale." Scent is off a bit, kinda funky, but not in a pleasant way at first. Once the yeast settles a bit, the scent is easier on the nose, but it is not indicative of the taste at all. Taste is good, not great, and not very "wild." Tart at first, this quickly fades to sweet, then finishes a bit tart again. I barely taste the brettanomyces, perhaps it's the saccharomyces that is the predominant yeast here. All in all, not a bad brew, but not something I would regularly pick up. If you are looking for a wild ale in particular, look elsewhere.

03-16-2006 05:54:48 | More by audiojon
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

I need a new tulip glass; Only having one is no good when you drink so many Belgians. Received this in a corked and caged 750ml. Fermented with Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces. My first wild ale.

Pours out a nice honey-orange with a very nice fluffy, creamy head that builds up Duvel-tall and recedes very, very slowly to a thick near-inch covering. It's fed by streams of rising bubbles, and leaves crusty white lacing.

Combination sweet and sour scents - I can tell the Brettanomyces but it's hard to describe because it's different from what I'm used to... It's like dried apricots rolled in pepper and spices, then drizzled in bittersweet caramel. (Then dropped into some vodka).

The taste carries similarly 'unusual' tastes; Gently alcoholic, this is bitter, tart, spicy... It does taste wildly fermented, like that glass of apple juice I left sitting out in the garage for two weeks and then sipped. There's some crabapple, and I notice after a couple of swallows a small amount of acid.

Creamy mouthfeel, with a slightly tart finish; not much is left behind after swallowing.

For a wild-fermented Belgian, this is pretty good; it's my first one, so I'm being somewhat conservative with my ratings because I don't have anything to compare it to.

02-16-2006 02:34:04 | More by Tupperwolf
masikon

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a tulip yeast and all. Head came in very well for me despite what others have said, tall white and fluffy leaving lots of lacing and it reformed after each drink. Color was ciderish burnt orange with active carbonation and some floaties wandering through the glass. Nose was strong and complex with fruity aromas galore from bananas to strawberries , followed by a strong sour note. Taste hits the buds very sour but in a good way and prepares your palate for a wave of complex fruity flavors, yeasty and full this is easy to drink at 9 percent. Changes dramatically as it increases in temperature making each sip slightly different. Overall I really like this beer and will be on my way tomorrow to pick up a few more to see how this one ages.

12-20-2005 01:19:25 | More by masikon
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Cloudy orangeade, the head had a few patches a few flakes graced the bottom of my glass.

Smell: Fruity aroma, it took my a while to pin it down, but I finally settled on a mix of apricots and cherry flavored life savers...Interesting!

Taste: Alcohol quite predominant, the sweet, fruity aftertaste mingled well with yeasty, breadcrumb character. Quite full bodied. It was nice, but nothing over the top for me, a trend I seem to notice often from this brewery (I didn't even knew DeProef made the Beer before typing this).

11-08-2005 00:33:41 | More by Goldorak
Quaffer

Nevada

3.9/5  rDev 0%

25.4 oz. bottle, corked and caged. Not available here in Wichita. Picked this up in Boulder, CO.

Appearance: This beer poured a cloudy golden-orange color which seemed to glow in the glass. The white head rose up to three fingers with an extremely careful pour. It settled at an average pace, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the top of the brew for the entire drink. The foam ramped sharply up the side of the glass, attesting to its stickiness. There were solid sheets of lace left behind.

Smell: A combination of sweet and sour on the nose. Pungent sour apples and grapes were present, but they didn't have an overly sharp, funky sourness that I was expecting. The sweetness was candy-like and thick. A nice dose of old wood lingered underneath, helping to add some complexity. Hints of hops were just detectable. Unfortunately, there was a rather strong metallic smell present, too. It detracted from, but did not ruin, the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied and slightly coating. It was smooth upfront, picking up a crispness as it moved back into the mouth.

Taste: Rather typical Belgian pale. Sweet malts and apples emerged upfront to be quickly overpowered by bitter hops and dry alcohol. Wood and sweet vanilla rose up on the finish. The alcohol was pretty strong and lingered well into the aftertaste. I didn't find it overbearing, though; it was just about right.

A solid offering.

10-09-2005 23:02:56 | More by Quaffer
clvand0

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a light orange color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is funky and fruity with some sourness. Lots of light flavors and funkiness with some fruits and sourness. The body is light and the drinkability is good.

09-19-2005 12:19:24 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

From notes. Poured a hazy orange color with a finger of head that fell to nothing. Nose was very nice. Sour and musty with a light lemon/orange citrus. Very good balance in the nose. Flavor was mellow and subdued. Light musty with lemon. No real sour character. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. Good and refreshing. Overall a good beer. Flavor was not quite as intense in flavor as I would like.

09-18-2005 03:40:37 | More by kmpitz2
RedDiamond

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

The corked and caged bottle unleashes an appealing sour apple aroma with enthusiastic carbonation. The taste has a slight measure of alcohol with a sour fruit and acidic twang. There are notes of crabapple and a funky barnyard presence arrived at by design.

This is a strange beer. It is difficult to compare to traditional ales brewed with saccharomyces or even to “wild” ales such as lambics inoculated with lactobacillus. The body is coral-orange. It trails stylish lace. And the taste is notable for its succinct dryness and abrupt finish.

I can’t recall now whether or not the bottle had yeasted lees, but I sensed my serving was not particularly fresh. Still, it warms well and gives the palate something to think about.

09-17-2005 02:42:30 | More by RedDiamond
foXXtail

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Given my online moniker, how couldn’t I like this beer?

I guess it’s good that I do!

The good:

The beer has a lovely, fruity nose filled with tons of flower and fruit scents. Strawberry is most apparent, but lots of other candy-like scents linger. The beer is also highly effervescent and smooth-textured. The flavor is hinted at by the nose – very sweet with a hit of orange, apple, and strawberry fruit tastes. A very strong champagne-like dryness balances out the fruity esters nicely. The finish is more dry than sweet, but the fruity sweetness curbs it nicely.

The bad:

The only thing I wanted more from this beer is head. Despite lively effervescence, there wasn’t a lot of fluff on top – though the thin coating that WAS there was well-retained. Granted, it could have been a pouring error. I’ll try again later.

08-31-2005 23:44:22 | More by foXXtail
RBorsato

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

Apricot colored with a decent off-white head, good carbonation, and a touch of lace. Intense sour Brett aroma with big barnyard smells and a touch of fruitiness. More intense sour Brett flavors akin to chewing on raw rhubarb (very sour). Light-medium bodied and airy with an intense dry finish...

NOT what I consider a Belgian Strong Pale Ale ... could this be a Straight (unblended) Lambic-style Ale ?? Not sure since I've never had one of those...

Whew ! every beer has it's place and unfortunately the place for the last part of this one was down the drain ... too intense for me to finish.

Per label: "Triple fermented using two yeast strains" & "Saccharomyces - Brettanomyces" & "Bottle Conditioned"

Per MJ notes: 2 row pilsner and pale malts. Hallertau (bittering) and Styrian Goldings (aromatic). 16P (1064).

(11.2 oz. short fat brown bottle)

08-31-2005 18:25:42 | More by RBorsato
DogFood11

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

11.2 oz stubie poured into a snifter.

Fundamentally sound appearance although this is one of the beers weaker areas for the style. Head falls to islands with little lacing but it indeed holds its own and with each drink reproduces itself. I found the smell to be alot of work to figure out what the hell was going on!! lots of sour at first, but after a few drinks this settled down and there was a flowery/fruity backbone. Same thing with the taste, first drink seemed shockingly abrubdt but settles on the palate from 2nd drink on into this magnificent spicey clove and Ohhh so smooth. No alcohol taste w/ perfect warming...how that is accomplished I'll leave to De Proefbrouwerij...finishes dry. this is excellent night capper material and to me it improves slightly when it warmed a bit when the fruity flavors were revealed.

08-26-2005 05:27:58 | More by DogFood11
GClarkage

4.72/5  rDev +21%

06/03/05- Purchased at Plumpjack Wines in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 750ml caged and corked bottle with no dating. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden in color with a nice 2 fingered creamy head and average lacing.

Smell- Had to think about this one for a while, but between two BA's, we came to the conclusion of apple pie or apple crisp. Maybe some cinnimon and nutmeg as well.

Taste- Sweet and sour elixer galore. Lots of different spices as well. Too much stuff going on here.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, fuller mouthfeel. Leaves mouth puckered at times.

Drinkability- Should have gotten more than one bottle while I had the chance. This beer is excellent. ABV is extremely well hidden as well.

06-04-2005 20:17:17 | More by GClarkage
putnam

At first glance, it looks and smells like Orval. Pale orange liquid, noisy, explosive foam on top (it depleted very quickly in contrast to marburg's report -- should I be using a better rinse?), aromas of candied sawgrass, apricot pits, lemon oils, cherries, cranberries. I hope its not simply the fact that this roast beef sandwich is making me thirsty, but I can't tear my senses away from this pour.
On the palate comes the load of bitterness that the aromas were preparation for. I grasp for comparisons: Popering Hommel, Orval, de Ranke XX... this is thoroughly infused with hops. It's primarily a bitterness, rather than an aromatic.
And how perfectly balanced it is. Bold, fleshy stone fruits and basementy earthiness triangulate with floral bitterness to open an outburst of marmelade, quince, sappy budlets, chalk and grass flavors. The fizz is unforgiving too. And where's the alcohol flavor?
This beer careens about unleashing flavors hedonistic, then earthy, then spicy, then... it's gone. I feel I haven't begun to understand it. Light, yet powerful. Dry, yet packed with fruit. And of course, the boldly included "brettanomyces" on the label is backed up in the glass: its a warm horse blanket of mother-earthly goodness. Wow!

inebrius, you may have under rated this one. Thanks for the bottle. Now, to try and obtain it. I'm in for a 7-case layer.

02-03-2005 17:49:32 | More by putnam
Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)