Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 04-30-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale Alström Bros

4.73/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a light golden color. Floral aroma with a distinct tartness rounding it out. The flavor reminds me of spring berries—strawberries, mostly, for that combination of sweetness with a bit of a sour, funky feel to it. Dry, with a bitterness that snaps as it finishes.

(Note: Per @show I’m posting this review here, vs. one of the many other entries for the same beer.)

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

06/03/05- Purchased at Plumpjack Wines in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 750ml caged and corked bottle with no dating. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden in color with a nice 2 fingered creamy head and average lacing.

Smell- Had to think about this one for a while, but between two BA's, we came to the conclusion of apple pie or apple crisp. Maybe some cinnimon and nutmeg as well.

Taste- Sweet and sour elixer galore. Lots of different spices as well. Too much stuff going on here.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, fuller mouthfeel. Leaves mouth puckered at times.

Drinkability- Should have gotten more than one bottle while I had the chance. This beer is excellent. ABV is extremely well hidden as well.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours cloudy light apricot color that slightly glows. Half inch foamy, white head with large bubbles quickly thins. Smells musky yeast with hint of barnyard or zoo. Complex with just a little sweet to floral smell. The flavor is complex and hard to put my finger on. Very earthy, picking up a little of the floral to fruity flavor that I noted in the smell. Long-lived earthy aftertaste gives way to mild hop bitterness and keeps the fragrant flavor all the way through. Medium to full bodied with active carbonation that gives your tongue a little bite. This is a very tasty, complex beer that is perfect for sipping on the porch on a rainy day. Great paired with an aged raw milk cheese and a loaf of crusty bread.

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Six twists and the cage is off (it's always six...a Belgian told me)...the cork comes off with the very strong "pop!"...and the beer pours a mildly hazed golden yellow. The head is soapy and one of those "loud" ones, popping and crackling and leaving rings of lace as it diminishes.

The aroma is sensuous...if you love the funk, anyway. That stinky, sweaty farmhouse aroma is here in abundance, but not to the point of overshadowing absolutely everything else. It lets a wonderful lime aroma through, and sourdough can be enjoyed as well. And then, sure, it's back to the funk. Love it.

Well, Sacch & Brett, how are ya? My favorite Belgian buddies are knocking on the door...loudly. They're making their peculiar yeastiness known. Right off the bat I'm thinking this is about as perfect an example of a Bretty Belgian ale as I've ever had (although the Flemish Primitive line is a massive favorite, and Piraat has that something special as well). Why is this so good? Because it's not complete overkill. There's some sour sweaty sock here...there's a hint of Band-Aid (mostly in the finish)...but as in the aroma, you get other characteristics too: a citric twang, a light bread dough, and a white pepper spiciness. The texture is light on the palate, and the beer dries out pretty quickly, begging you to sip too quickly.

A highly-anticipated beer in this household, and it definitely doesn't disappoint. Fabulous stuff. Fans of Fantome, Orval, Jolly Pumpkin, De Proef's Flemish Primitive and of course lambic/gueze fans...you know what to do. Hell, you've probably done it already.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Faintly hazed golden color with a billowing large sticky bright white head. Funky nose of tart apple pie and pear pie, ripe tart wine grapes, sweet candy, caramelized banana. Really big nose.

Great beer with big flavor and a long finish. Husky grain on the tip of the tongue. Tart fruit, apples and pears on the middle of the tongue, belgian funk, hay and earthiness. White wine grapes throughout much like a fruity chardonnay. Banana and nut bread on the back of the tongue with a dry grainy bitterness and a touch of fruity alcohol heat. Faint spiciness and clove throughout underneath it all. Finish is of a long lasting banana and wheat taste. Despite all this flavor the beer manages to finish clean and crisp and refreshing with the alcohol being very well hidden. Feeling it just after half a bottle. Really great beer. The fruity malt and hop really plays off the funky brett flavors really well. I dont think this is a hate it of love it brett beer. I think this is a you have to love it beer. Awesome. Feel Belgian but at the same time it doesn't.

Swirling in the yeast now.

the yeast takes away a little from the fruit and gives the beer a bit more of a spice but its nose bad. This could also have to do with the beers temperature change though as well.

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Poured into my Brawley's snifter from an 11.2 oz. bottle.

A- Pours a cloudy golden hue with a ton of floating yeast. A brilliant white head floats upon this golden elixer and fades away rather quickly. Delicate drips of lacing fall down the sides of the glass.

S- Candied lemon peel, thyme, thai basil, banana, bubblegum, citrus zest, funky yeastiness, clove, sour apples, and 12 grain bread. This is a fantastic assault on the sences!

T- Sugared lemons dusted with black pepper... banana's and spicy basil and licorice. Some notes of funk and wet straw, cloves, white grapes, Asian Pears, Granny Smith apple, and a bit more yeasty barnyard. This is really awesome! Nice notes of sweet plantain's and bubblegum, funky barn stall, and touches of citrus.

M- Crisp, fruity and somewhat dry. Lemony, peppery, and full of fiesty, funky, and wild yeast! Breathe in and it feels like you're walking thru the stables at the county fair.

O- I really wanna grab a couple of 750's of this and sit on them for a while. The alcohol gets more noticable as it warms up. Nice blend of grape must, sweetened lemons, black peppercorns, under-ripe apples and wet grassy funk. I highly recommend this as a Brett friendly Wild Ale for BA's looking to get into sours.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into PALM tulip glass.

A: Hazy amber with finger and a half of white head with some of the best retention I've seen.

S: Wild yeast, cotton candy and bubble gum. Almost indulgently sweet.

T: A funky yeast dominates with hints of the sweet bubble gum and cotton candy. A sweet/sour war on the back side almost takes your breath.

M: Medium body with fresh carbonation. Fills out the other traits nicely.

Another excellent Belgian today.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

This pours from the caged and corked 750ML bottle...big pop when I removed the cork but no gushing..a clear and very bright yellow gold with a 3 finger head of foam that sticks around for a long time. I couldn't help but smell some funky goodness when I popped the cork. I'm eager to dive in.

The smell has plenty of that funk smell up front with lots of yeasty smells and pepper, some light lemon, and a good bread nose. Very inviting.

The taste is delicious. The Brett stands in the forefront and lets me know that it is going to dominate my tastebuds but there's more going on. Lots of peppery notes, big yeasty tones, nice bready malt flavours and a nice kick of lemon zest. It also has a sweetness lying beneath...honey? Candy sugar? Maybe a combo of both? Whatever, they make it better and the alcohol is very well hidden. Not much sour going on here( I expected some on a label that says Wild Ale), I can just taste a tad before the finish but it's not really needed here. What I'm tasting is very satisfying. Oh and with the last pour, it becomes cloudy. That's bottle conditioning at its best!

Medium mouthfeel, light carbonation, it finishes slightly tart and slightly bitter with a last stop at lemon zest city. Very good drinker and I could drink this one any time of the year. And the head retention and lacing are very impresssive.

Drinkability? It's hard for me to stop sipping on it! Damn it! Is there a thing as being too drinkable? Yes.there.is. When you have to set up a trade to get some. Marvelous stuff! I bet Alan *knew* I'd flip over this one. ;^)

Bottom line: My review will probably be higher than most(I've read some of the reviews) but dammit, my eyes, nose, and palate never lie to me so..so be it.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a 0.5L Duvel tulip.

A: Perfectly clear golden hue. Dense white head with good retention.

S: Heavy fruit aromas from the brett I suppose. A slight and very pleasant sourness from the aroma. Strangely, it almost reminds me of a sweet tomato sauce.

T: Surprisingly, it doesn't taste as unique as it smells. The aroma comes through in the flavor at first, but there is a very strong golden ale backbone and the finish is clean, slightly sweet, with a pilsener like bitterness.

M: More than average carbonation suits it well.

D: For the ABV, it's very, very drinkable.

I excepted something different from this beer, but I wasn't disappointed.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

This time I'm drinking from a 750 ml corked and capped bottle. I'm in Chicago now. The last time I had this I was in Seattle. I'd purchased an 11.2 oz bottle from Bottleworks and it was really funky/good. My concern is that this 750 is way different than the 11.2oz I had before. The last bottle tasted like its own thing. This new 750 tastes like Orval.

It pours bright gold with a thin, slightly rocky head which subsides into a smaller, thinner head leaving an irregular lace on the sides of the glass. The bubbles are small and the smell is Orval... and I mean that from 18" away.

Maybe this beer is "wild" and the other one I tried was "amber". The other one said it was wild. So, this is good beer. It's really like Orval and I will buy another bottle and probably several more. It is an aperitif beer or an ultimate first beer. you can choose which way you want to go but, this is the real thing and I suggest you buy some. It's tasty.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

11.2 oz bottle into DFH snifter.

A- Very hazy, golden straw. Thick head dissapated quickly into a very small but substantial head. Nice lacing.

S- Holy Shit!!! I wish I could make a car air freshner out of this! It's funky and musty, yet fresh all at the same time. This is possibly one of the finest smelling beers I ever had, no shit.

T- Tart pineapple, its hard to put my finger on it, but its tart and refreshing.

M- Light and cool, this is a winner

O- I REALLY enjoyed this beer. It's under $5 as well. Dollar for Dollar, I'd be hard pressed to find a better way to get my sour fix. You must at least try this, you cannot go wrong, especially for $5.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Beer review from BA Mag Aug 2007.

This wild ale was fermented with two yeast strains, one being Brettanomyces, which is where the "wild" comes in. If you've never tried a beer fermented with Brett, you're in for a treat.

Big, bubbly, billowy white head drops down to a sticky lace. Crystal-clear dusty golden color shines in the light. Big juicy nose with aromas of basement, citric peel, earth and medicinal herb aromas. Semi-brash yet refreshing crispness, moderate body with a dry palate. The Brett has a lot of work to do here, and it leaves a bit of a mess--but a good mess, with a rosewater-esque solvent alcohol and faint tropical fruit from the esters. Biscuity malt flavor is very dry and quickly shadowed by a medicinal flavor that cleans house with mineral, woody and harsh herbal flavors. Vanilla? Obviously dry finish--bone-dry at that.

Though we said you'll be in for a treat if you never tried a Brett beer, it's more of a love-it-or-hate-it characteristic. For us, we love it as it pushes the envelope of where beer can go. So any beer geeks out there who like Brett, you'll love this one.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)