2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 04-30-2003)
View: Beers (93) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 456 | Reviews: 290 | Show All Ratings:
scottoale

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

750ml. brown bottle with a cork and cage, no freshness date. It pours a light honey gold with haze and an active floamy white head that settles, eventually.

Musty, dusty, sweet and sour to the nose...in a good way. Lemon, green apple, parsley with a yeasty, sour twang. It tastes much the same as it smells...rather nice, but by the same token...rather un-eventful. You would never guess that this ale is 9% ABV, it's masked very well.

A medium body with some chalkiness from the residue, and a lingering sweetness. Easy enough to drink, but nothing real special here.

08-05-2007 23:59:52 | More by scottoale
jjanega08

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

A= The pour reveals a light golden colored beer that has very very lively carbonation. Really bubbly looking. The head rises to three fingers and is almost a perfect white color. The head is a nice thick meringue head that has tiny bubbles and some bigger bubbles resting in the middle with great lacing. The heads retention is great and lasts throughout the drink. Lovely.

S= A balance of spicy belgian yeast as well as some sour tartness. The belgian yeast has a little bit of a peppery spice and some green apple in it. The sour notes are very lemony but it blends very well with the apple yeast. There my be some hoppyness in it but it is subtle compared to the yeast and sour notes.

T= Again the belgian spice and sour notes. Very very similar to the smell. Apple spiciness and just a little bit of tart sourness. I pretty much explained the smell and the taste matches it perfectly. The sour is much more subtle however and there is only a little of the lemonyness. There is a slight amount of alcohol warming in the throat. The finish is really quite bready and doughy. Really nice.

M= A little overly carbonated as the appearance noted. A semi dry finish in it. Crisp and clean for being a wild ale.

D= Pretty good. This is my second attempt from this brewery and I wasn't as disappointed this time. This beer wasn't as funky as I hoped it would have been or as sour really. A very light wild ale. Not bad by any means but not the greatest thing I've had and the price tag won't lead me back to it but it was worth a shot.

12-14-2009 01:10:50 | More by jjanega08
BARFLYB

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

750ml bottle poured into some snifters. Picked this one up in NY.

Reinaert had a saison look with a cloudy straw yellow color with some small golden spots and some sediment. Smells consist of barnyard scents, hay and yeast with grain. In taste this does come off as a BSPA with some wild yeast giving off a barnyard musty taste. Some grass from the hops used. Some bread with faint fruits such as banana, light spices. The feel is light crisp and refreshing with just a light touch of funk, very faint. Good carb and ok drinkability, not my favorite brew.

08-11-2009 02:27:52 | More by BARFLYB
trappistlover

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(11.2oz bottle). Pours cloudy golden with lots of floaties and small white head. Aroma has sour cherries, caramel, and spices. Taste has a sweet malt backbone with both fruits and pit fruit to go along with a modest sourness. The sour, though, is not very noticeable. Medium to full bodied an thick texture. Kind of disappointing....

04-11-2011 07:08:02 | More by trappistlover
billab914

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured a dull amber color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows some zesty and tart orange flavors with a touch of sour apple in there. Some pale, sweet, bready malts are there as well as a bit of caramel. It has a strong candied fruit sweetness to it though that is a little dominating.

The taste also has a mix of zesty and tart flavors to it. The sweeter, candied fruits are balanced by a tart, slightly sour fruit quality. Notes of caramel, sour orange and bready maltiness all come out in it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little above average. Overall, it was a pretty decent beer but it felt a little overly sweet and candy like at times. The tart, sourness helped though and was the highlight for me.

04-22-2012 20:35:48 | More by billab914
bobhits

Kentucky

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Hoppy sour? I swear I can't tell where the hops start and the sour ends. This is sour, bitter, dry, bites, but there's still a to of golden malt.

This is brett, malt, and hops turned into an intense monster and I'm just here lost in what might be the most intense beer (ignoring abv) I can think of.

Golden body with floating yeast for character and a thin white head.

Aroma of bret...and maybe malt?

This bites it's hard to drink but ti's really tasty. Definitely one of the more wild and unique beers I've had....without being weird sugary crap that Dogfish turns out.

06-19-2013 01:29:46 | More by bobhits
Murchmac

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

My ever expanding trek into sours continues, after having Consecration on tap (bleh), I had this.

Big frothy white head, golden yellow, big carbonation. If this liquid came from that fox, he's better than a goose that lays golden eggs.

Barnyard, fruity, with some bready yeasty smells. B-I-N-G-O.

Alternates between hoppy, musty, sweet, bitter, for sure complex. Like Goldilocks not being able to make up her mind for so damn long. Gosh.

Nice, but not great. Wouldn't drink again. I didn't like the way the tartness dominated most of the beer. I guess that rules out Beatification for me. I'm gonna lay off the sours until Sanctification rolls around, back to bourbon barrel aged with fruit infused "normal" imperial beers.

06-14-2009 02:59:38 | More by Murchmac
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance. Pours straw-gold with 3 fingers of billowy white head that has great retention and leaves some nice heavy lacing.

Smell. Nice bretty funk and spicy belgian yeast, some green apples, melon and pears with a little old musty wood.

Taste. Funky and bitter, some aged hops and fruity yeast with some belgian spice and old wood.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body with medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Started out great, but the bitter flavours with the belgian spicy yeast didn't make it the easiest drinker. Not a boring beer, I'll say that much.

09-25-2012 02:41:54 | More by Rutager
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

I need a new tulip glass; Only having one is no good when you drink so many Belgians. Received this in a corked and caged 750ml. Fermented with Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces. My first wild ale.

Pours out a nice honey-orange with a very nice fluffy, creamy head that builds up Duvel-tall and recedes very, very slowly to a thick near-inch covering. It's fed by streams of rising bubbles, and leaves crusty white lacing.

Combination sweet and sour scents - I can tell the Brettanomyces but it's hard to describe because it's different from what I'm used to... It's like dried apricots rolled in pepper and spices, then drizzled in bittersweet caramel. (Then dropped into some vodka).

The taste carries similarly 'unusual' tastes; Gently alcoholic, this is bitter, tart, spicy... It does taste wildly fermented, like that glass of apple juice I left sitting out in the garage for two weeks and then sipped. There's some crabapple, and I notice after a couple of swallows a small amount of acid.

Creamy mouthfeel, with a slightly tart finish; not much is left behind after swallowing.

For a wild-fermented Belgian, this is pretty good; it's my first one, so I'm being somewhat conservative with my ratings because I don't have anything to compare it to.

02-16-2006 02:34:04 | More by Tupperwolf
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Cloudy orangeade, the head had a few patches a few flakes graced the bottom of my glass.

Smell: Fruity aroma, it took my a while to pin it down, but I finally settled on a mix of apricots and cherry flavored life savers...Interesting!

Taste: Alcohol quite predominant, the sweet, fruity aftertaste mingled well with yeasty, breadcrumb character. Quite full bodied. It was nice, but nothing over the top for me, a trend I seem to notice often from this brewery (I didn't even knew DeProef made the Beer before typing this).

11-08-2005 00:33:41 | More by Goldorak
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Had At: Brasserie V (Madison, WI)

This was my second beer that I had at the Brasserie V tonight.

Appearance: Pours a lightly tinted hay color with some amber thrown into the mix. A finger of head sits on the top of my glass, although I suspect that there would have been more had the bottle not foamed over when it was opened. The waitress told me that the bottle starting gushing when she cracked it open. Had that not happened I would have expected some thick whipped cream colored head.

Smell: The nose picks up pale malt as the backbone. There's a hint of citrus, either form the yeast and or hops. Finally, the barnyard shows itself from the brett yeast.

Taste: The first splash across the palate reveals pale malt as the backbone. There's a little bit of citrus in here, I think it's lemon. Finally the barnyard shows itself, but it isn't was evident as I was expecting. This wasn't as complex as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer with quite a bit of carbonation. I felt like there were some hop oils coating my teeth and gums on the aftertaste.

Drinkability: This just wasn't as complex of a beer as I was hoping. It seemed rather straightforward. Some pale malt, with a dash of brett to give it some barnyard characteristics. I just wasn't feelin' it.

11-06-2009 05:31:45 | More by Ek0nomik
sjccmd

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours golden orange, slightly murky with an uneven white head that collects in chunks of large and small bubbles. A little weird. Good lacing. Fairly carbonated

Really fascinating smell. Overripe tropical fruits, specifically guava and papaya. I've never had a beer with quite this smell. Bready, graham cracker malts in the background. Earthy and funky.

The taste follows along with the smell, but with even more graham cracker toasty malts. A nice touch of tartness. Very earthy. But then I get umami flavors perhaps from dead yeast. This aspect makes it a bit less drinkable. Some hop bitterness to round things out, but not much.

Pretty high carbonation. Full mouthfeel, somewhat silky. That umami flavor sticks in the mouth for a while. Not easy to finish

The smell was so fascinating that I had high hopes for this one, but I think there is a bit of dead yeast flavor issue.

05-14-2013 00:15:08 | More by sjccmd
CPeterson

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

A -- A cloudy, pale straw brew that pours into a nice head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lacing.

S -- Musty, piny, a little citrus.

T -- Citrus, funky grassy tones. Lightly hoppy and dry. A very faint malt backbone.

M -- Thin and light, with a light stickiness I didn't really expect.

D -- Not really impressive but okay, might be a nice intro for the style. I won't buy it again.

04-07-2010 01:51:09 | More by CPeterson
ibbjamin

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid $3.99 for a 11.2oz bottle from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip to taste.

Large pillowey white head with heavy carbonation visibly present. Pale straw yellow in color. Cloudy yet transparent. Excellent pillowy retention floats about 3/4 of an inch above the beer. Thick rails of lacing.

Sweetness, wild yeast, lemon citrus, grassy hops and bread in the nose.

Taste is a little confused to me. The light citrus notes and grassy hops play off of the sweetness and brett yeast, but not in such great of harmony. Well contained 9% ABV.

Light to medium body with hefty carbonation. Saison type mouthfeel.

Not my favorite, but certainly not bad either. I would drink again, but won't seek it out.

10-14-2010 02:26:01 | More by ibbjamin
mrasskicktastic

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

A - An enormous frothy head sits on top of a cloudy lemon yellow brew. The head is extremely dense and barely moves down the glass as the fluid fills it. The head does grow less dense though, forming larger and larger bubbles as time progresses. The lacing is thick and copious.

S - A nice funk, horse blanket, a hint of sour cherries, lemon pith and pungent wild grass pollen. Toward the dregs there is a bit of earthy notes.

T - The foretaste is ripe with mustiness - like hay kept in a damp area. A mild pithy flavor is present through the aftertaste. Aftertaste is musty, pithy, a little sour and full of horse blanket presence.

M - Thin, a bit watery, harsh, refreshing.

D - Pretty good. It is very musty.

08-03-2008 03:31:02 | More by mrasskicktastic
pwoods

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Small bottle(9ish oz.?) purchased at Hyde Park Wine and Spirits, poured into a Unibroue tulip/flute.

A: Pours a murky grapefruit skin color with a large pearly white - very fluffy and airy - head. Head takes a bit to fall to a thick fluffy skim and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Belgian sweetness along with plenty of yeasty esters. A hint of the Flemish style souring with a lack of the harsh acidity. Overall a bit subtle.

T/M: Wheat is very potent compared to any other wild ales that I've had. Some tartness from the wheat. The wild flavors are light and not extremely complex, largely drying and powdery, though there are some sour and tart light fruits in there in the form of green apples, white grapes, and maybe some apricot. Body is medium with lethargic carbonation.

D: Not a terrible brew but definitely a let down compared to the abundance of stellar wild ales from the US. Drinks decent enough and is interesting but probably not something that will have me buy another.

04-04-2009 01:23:31 | More by pwoods
Yetiman420

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Thanks smellsofstout for including this as an extra in our trade.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. 1/2 finger white, small bubble head.

Dark peach color. Not hazy but more of a solid color that I don't consider attractive. Like a thick cider.

I'm beginning to think I should not have included all the yeast dregs on the pour.

Aroma is initially a musty funk. Over time the must grows and becomes less appealing. Taste is too yeasty and bready for my liking. It lends to a heavy mouthfeel that masks the wildness factor I'm looking for. I'd enjoy this one much more with a lighter, crisper body and will do it again with a fraction of the dregs.

Alcohol noticeable on the finish of this 9% beer.

04-05-2009 16:10:49 | More by Yetiman420
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Cloudy light amber color, ton of yeast in bottom of bottle. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Sour nose. Flavor is tart with some sweetness, mellow fruity finish. High ABV not noticeable. $3.99 for a 330ml bottle from John's Market Place Tigard, Or.

03-21-2007 23:14:20 | More by jdhilt
VaRam

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

First time seeing this beer in the local shop, pours a nice golden color with a billowy white head. Smells of brett, but not overpowering. Taste is a bit dissapointing, as I was hoping for something with a bit more tang, but otherwise a rather balanced belgian ale. Overall a very drinkable beer and the alcohol is hidden quite well.

12-31-2008 21:57:22 | More by VaRam
FMetzger

Arizona

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Looked good. Poured with a decent head.
S: Sour. No malt or hops to speak of.
T: Sour. Good. Enjoyed the taste. Sour fruit came to mind. A little overpowering.
M: Prickly from the carbonation. I think that played with the sourness to accentuate the experience.
D: Overall, not bad. Not my favorite Flemish, but still tasty. I would order another one, as long as I had a break in the middle.

04-01-2008 03:54:39 | More by FMetzger
dino213aa

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Hazy, golden blonde appearance with a white, froth-like rocky head. Lacing clings in disparate bands down the glass.

S: Definitely sour with notes of apple and lemon which is influenced by the wild yeast.

T&M: Starts sour and finishes hoppy with a hint of barley in between. As I continue this 750 the sourness fades and the hops come forth stronger. As previous reviewers have stated, there is a grass/hay/barley flavor throughout. A commendable effort in keeping the alcohol flavor in check, considering it's 9% ABV. Other ales approaching double-digit ABVs are not as capable of keeping this in check as this brew.

D: Not bad going down. Not terribly complex in my opinion. There is a lightness to this ale that would make it a decent session brew for the summer months.

Conclusion: This is an okay showing. I think the look and smell of this brew is more rewarding than the actual flavor. Sure you get a good shot of "Brett" yeast, but there are more complex and interesting offerings out there. I'd suggest Brewery Ommegang's "Ommegeddon" as a more interesting alternative to this.

10-17-2008 01:30:39 | More by dino213aa
Floydster

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

330 ml bottle purchased from the Pizza Port Bottle Shop for about five bucks, reviewed from notes, poured into my Chimay goblet, light yellow color with a hint of orange tint, two inch soapy white head, pretty weak lacing but some decent retention, aroma has light hops, floral accents, light malts, citrus, oranges, lemons, and mildly wild yeast, flavor starts off crisp and dry with a very minor tartiness for the first few sips that went away later on, dry yeast and hops in the middle, finish has a lot of sweetness and hot alcohol, Belgian sugars and yeast add to the sweetness once it warms, thick and not typical of a wild ale, too strong and overpowering, slightly dry, sweet, and boozy mouthfeel, medium bodied, lighter side of carbonation, taste lingers pretty long, could not drink much more of this, heavy stuff and is filling even on an empty stomach, too sweet and boozy for my palate, not very wild and barely any tart at the beginning only, booze overpower this beer quite a bit, probably would not drink again, worth trying

08-23-2009 22:32:47 | More by Floydster
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -21%

Pours slightly cloudy with the consistency and color of ginger ale. Smells only of brett funk. First sip is sour that is mostly funk. It bites with strength and conviction. It is fairly sour but the brett funk dominates and is not for the wimpy. This beer will not be many people's gateway to sours. The body is extremely light and the high 9% ABV is well hidden. As it warms some of the funk fades along with almost all of the carbonation - strange. Over time the beer becomes less and less tolerable.

12-28-2008 03:38:42 | More by ATLbeerDog
JamesMN

3.08/5  rDev -21%

Appearance: Bright orange/yellow and opaque. Fizzy four finger white head.

Aroma: Lots of belgian yeast esters. A hint of tart vinegar.

Taste: Pretty much comes off as a bit of a bland Belgian Pale Ale. The hint of tartness that comes at first that would suggest the Flemish/Wild Ale style is no where near strong enough to warrant that classification. What's left is a semi-sweet apple and pear flavor with very moderate bitterness. Lingering aftertaste of tartness and club soda. Hard to detect that 9% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with tons of effervescence. Average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale is not what I expected it to be and as a result a let-down. It seems stuck between styles with no specific flavors. Would I drink it again? No.

06-09-2013 00:49:38 | More by JamesMN
Patrick999

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

Drinking expensive beer for the hell of it.

A - Pours gold. Uh-oh....where's the head? Cork was in good condition.

S - Apple juice, some old shoe funk...smells like a Jolly Pumpkin beer.

T - Not as apple as the smell promised. Hoppy. Tastes a lot like Les Deux Brasseurs, except...

F - ...it's flat. Dead flat. Not ONE bubble to be found.

D - Damn it, this was way too expensive to be a drain pour. There was no reason to believe this was a bad bottle, so this pretty much pisses me off. This won't make me boycott a killer brewery like DeProef, though...I'll get over it by drinking a Les Deux Brasseurs.

02-01-2009 02:43:58 | More by Patrick999
Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)