Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale - De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot) visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 04-30-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale Alström Bros

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks smellsofstout for including this as an extra in our trade.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. 1/2 finger white, small bubble head.

Dark peach color. Not hazy but more of a solid color that I don't consider attractive. Like a thick cider.

I'm beginning to think I should not have included all the yeast dregs on the pour.

Aroma is initially a musty funk. Over time the must grows and becomes less appealing. Taste is too yeasty and bready for my liking. It lends to a heavy mouthfeel that masks the wildness factor I'm looking for. I'd enjoy this one much more with a lighter, crisper body and will do it again with a fraction of the dregs.

Alcohol noticeable on the finish of this 9% beer.

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Small bottle(9ish oz.?) purchased at Hyde Park Wine and Spirits, poured into a Unibroue tulip/flute.

A: Pours a murky grapefruit skin color with a large pearly white - very fluffy and airy - head. Head takes a bit to fall to a thick fluffy skim and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Belgian sweetness along with plenty of yeasty esters. A hint of the Flemish style souring with a lack of the harsh acidity. Overall a bit subtle.

T/M: Wheat is very potent compared to any other wild ales that I've had. Some tartness from the wheat. The wild flavors are light and not extremely complex, largely drying and powdery, though there are some sour and tart light fruits in there in the form of green apples, white grapes, and maybe some apricot. Body is medium with lethargic carbonation.

D: Not a terrible brew but definitely a let down compared to the abundance of stellar wild ales from the US. Drinks decent enough and is interesting but probably not something that will have me buy another.

3.32/5  rDev -14.9%

A -- A cloudy, pale straw brew that pours into a nice head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lacing.

S -- Musty, piny, a little citrus.

T -- Citrus, funky grassy tones. Lightly hoppy and dry. A very faint malt backbone.

M -- Thin and light, with a light stickiness I didn't really expect.

D -- Not really impressive but okay, might be a nice intro for the style. I won't buy it again.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Earthy, apple juice, bitter, hay, light alcohol, honey, sweet red grape, light funk

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

A - An enormous frothy head sits on top of a cloudy lemon yellow brew. The head is extremely dense and barely moves down the glass as the fluid fills it. The head does grow less dense though, forming larger and larger bubbles as time progresses. The lacing is thick and copious.

S - A nice funk, horse blanket, a hint of sour cherries, lemon pith and pungent wild grass pollen. Toward the dregs there is a bit of earthy notes.

T - The foretaste is ripe with mustiness - like hay kept in a damp area. A mild pithy flavor is present through the aftertaste. Aftertaste is musty, pithy, a little sour and full of horse blanket presence.

M - Thin, a bit watery, harsh, refreshing.

D - Pretty good. It is very musty.

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid $3.99 for a 11.2oz bottle from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip to taste.

Large pillowey white head with heavy carbonation visibly present. Pale straw yellow in color. Cloudy yet transparent. Excellent pillowy retention floats about 3/4 of an inch above the beer. Thick rails of lacing.

Sweetness, wild yeast, lemon citrus, grassy hops and bread in the nose.

Taste is a little confused to me. The light citrus notes and grassy hops play off of the sweetness and brett yeast, but not in such great of harmony. Well contained 9% ABV.

Light to medium body with hefty carbonation. Saison type mouthfeel.

Not my favorite, but certainly not bad either. I would drink again, but won't seek it out.

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Had At: Brasserie V (Madison, WI)

This was my second beer that I had at the Brasserie V tonight.

Appearance: Pours a lightly tinted hay color with some amber thrown into the mix. A finger of head sits on the top of my glass, although I suspect that there would have been more had the bottle not foamed over when it was opened. The waitress told me that the bottle starting gushing when she cracked it open. Had that not happened I would have expected some thick whipped cream colored head.

Smell: The nose picks up pale malt as the backbone. There's a hint of citrus, either form the yeast and or hops. Finally, the barnyard shows itself from the brett yeast.

Taste: The first splash across the palate reveals pale malt as the backbone. There's a little bit of citrus in here, I think it's lemon. Finally the barnyard shows itself, but it isn't was evident as I was expecting. This wasn't as complex as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer with quite a bit of carbonation. I felt like there were some hop oils coating my teeth and gums on the aftertaste.

Drinkability: This just wasn't as complex of a beer as I was hoping. It seemed rather straightforward. Some pale malt, with a dash of brett to give it some barnyard characteristics. I just wasn't feelin' it.

3.39/5  rDev -13.1%

I need a new tulip glass; Only having one is no good when you drink so many Belgians. Received this in a corked and caged 750ml. Fermented with Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces. My first wild ale.

Pours out a nice honey-orange with a very nice fluffy, creamy head that builds up Duvel-tall and recedes very, very slowly to a thick near-inch covering. It's fed by streams of rising bubbles, and leaves crusty white lacing.

Combination sweet and sour scents - I can tell the Brettanomyces but it's hard to describe because it's different from what I'm used to... It's like dried apricots rolled in pepper and spices, then drizzled in bittersweet caramel. (Then dropped into some vodka).

The taste carries similarly 'unusual' tastes; Gently alcoholic, this is bitter, tart, spicy... It does taste wildly fermented, like that glass of apple juice I left sitting out in the garage for two weeks and then sipped. There's some crabapple, and I notice after a couple of swallows a small amount of acid.

Creamy mouthfeel, with a slightly tart finish; not much is left behind after swallowing.

For a wild-fermented Belgian, this is pretty good; it's my first one, so I'm being somewhat conservative with my ratings because I don't have anything to compare it to.

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Hoppy sour? I swear I can't tell where the hops start and the sour ends. This is sour, bitter, dry, bites, but there's still a to of golden malt.

This is brett, malt, and hops turned into an intense monster and I'm just here lost in what might be the most intense beer (ignoring abv) I can think of.

Golden body with floating yeast for character and a thin white head.

Aroma of bret...and maybe malt?

This bites it's hard to drink but ti's really tasty. Definitely one of the more wild and unique beers I've had....without being weird sugary crap that Dogfish turns out.

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Cloudy orangeade, the head had a few patches a few flakes graced the bottom of my glass.

Smell: Fruity aroma, it took my a while to pin it down, but I finally settled on a mix of apricots and cherry flavored life savers...Interesting!

Taste: Alcohol quite predominant, the sweet, fruity aftertaste mingled well with yeasty, breadcrumb character. Quite full bodied. It was nice, but nothing over the top for me, a trend I seem to notice often from this brewery (I didn't even knew DeProef made the Beer before typing this).

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

My ever expanding trek into sours continues, after having Consecration on tap (bleh), I had this.

Big frothy white head, golden yellow, big carbonation. If this liquid came from that fox, he's better than a goose that lays golden eggs.

Barnyard, fruity, with some bready yeasty smells. B-I-N-G-O.

Alternates between hoppy, musty, sweet, bitter, for sure complex. Like Goldilocks not being able to make up her mind for so damn long. Gosh.

Nice, but not great. Wouldn't drink again. I didn't like the way the tartness dominated most of the beer. I guess that rules out Beatification for me. I'm gonna lay off the sours until Sanctification rolls around, back to bourbon barrel aged with fruit infused "normal" imperial beers.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

750ml bottle poured into some snifters. Picked this one up in NY.

Reinaert had a saison look with a cloudy straw yellow color with some small golden spots and some sediment. Smells consist of barnyard scents, hay and yeast with grain. In taste this does come off as a BSPA with some wild yeast giving off a barnyard musty taste. Some grass from the hops used. Some bread with faint fruits such as banana, light spices. The feel is light crisp and refreshing with just a light touch of funk, very faint. Good carb and ok drinkability, not my favorite brew.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured a dull amber color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows some zesty and tart orange flavors with a touch of sour apple in there. Some pale, sweet, bready malts are there as well as a bit of caramel. It has a strong candied fruit sweetness to it though that is a little dominating.

The taste also has a mix of zesty and tart flavors to it. The sweeter, candied fruits are balanced by a tart, slightly sour fruit quality. Notes of caramel, sour orange and bready maltiness all come out in it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little above average. Overall, it was a pretty decent beer but it felt a little overly sweet and candy like at times. The tart, sourness helped though and was the highlight for me.

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(11.2oz bottle). Pours cloudy golden with lots of floaties and small white head. Aroma has sour cherries, caramel, and spices. Taste has a sweet malt backbone with both fruits and pit fruit to go along with a modest sourness. The sour, though, is not very noticeable. Medium to full bodied an thick texture. Kind of disappointing....

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours golden orange, slightly murky with an uneven white head that collects in chunks of large and small bubbles. A little weird. Good lacing. Fairly carbonated

Really fascinating smell. Overripe tropical fruits, specifically guava and papaya. I've never had a beer with quite this smell. Bready, graham cracker malts in the background. Earthy and funky.

The taste follows along with the smell, but with even more graham cracker toasty malts. A nice touch of tartness. Very earthy. But then I get umami flavors perhaps from dead yeast. This aspect makes it a bit less drinkable. Some hop bitterness to round things out, but not much.

Pretty high carbonation. Full mouthfeel, somewhat silky. That umami flavor sticks in the mouth for a while. Not easy to finish

The smell was so fascinating that I had high hopes for this one, but I think there is a bit of dead yeast flavor issue.

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%

Sampled from a fresh bottle provided courtesy of the fine folks at Lucky Baldwin's Sampled in a Piraat glass.

Pale gold deep haze and large fluffy head that sticks

Aroma is buttery with large horsey notes from brett

Flavor is golden raisin malt that is slighty sour to start and increasing with the co2.

Interesting golden brew with some of the notes of the bacterias that make Rodenbach and the like so complex, but this example is lacking something that takes it beyond the curiously sour beer that it exists as now.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance. Pours straw-gold with 3 fingers of billowy white head that has great retention and leaves some nice heavy lacing.

Smell. Nice bretty funk and spicy belgian yeast, some green apples, melon and pears with a little old musty wood.

Taste. Funky and bitter, some aged hops and fruity yeast with some belgian spice and old wood.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body with medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Started out great, but the bitter flavours with the belgian spicy yeast didn't make it the easiest drinker. Not a boring beer, I'll say that much.

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)