Chili Devil - Cerveceria Azteca

Beer added by: bens0n on 06-15-2014

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.99/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a clear 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with no head whatsoever. Smell is of spicy peppers. Taste is awful. Pure heat, a light pepper aftertaste, spiciness is overpowering rendering this beer undrinkable. Feels light and hot in the mouth and overall this beer would is on the list of worst 10 beers I ever drank.

3.17/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short white head that rapidly dissipated, leaving no bubbles on the surface.
S: Moderate aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose.
T: Semblant to the clear bottle, this beer doesn't have a big body and is completely dominated by flavors of chili peppers.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and rather "hot" on the palate as the chili peppers contribute a moderate amount of heat to the mouthfeel.
O: This beer is all about the chili. There's no balance and all you get is peppers, but maybe this isn't a bad thing for the style, if all you want is peppers. If you are looking for balance, you need to pair this one with some nachos and guacamole.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.14/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle because the store I stopped by was selling them as singles. Figured, should be interesting anyway. And that is about the most I can say. Not a great beer, but certainly not bad. A nice light beer. The pepper is an interesting twist. If you like spice it might work for you but not much more than a interesting try.

3.06/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Color you can see directly from the bottle, its a clear golden color. Pours with little to no head.

On the nose, all you can really pick up on is the serrano pepper, maybe a little bit of grain and hops just smells pretty mild. Not really a bad thing though, its simple, and I'd say on target.

Flavor wise its a really mild, light lager, doesn't taste too funky or swampy, after the first sip the serrano pepper definitely takes control of the flavor, its not overwhelmingly hot, but just a little spicy. Its interesting, rather unique, pleasant, not bad by any means.

Mouthfeel is really smooth and refreshing, lovely hot summer day beer.

I picked this beer up in a rushed frenzy with a handful of other chili beers not knowing this actually had a pepper in the bottle until I took it home, was initially disappointed but after giving this beer a try, I can actually say it wasn't bad.. I actually enjoyed it, it was interesting and rather refreshing.

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by!

From the bottle: “Premium Lager Beer & a Gourmet Serrano Chili”.

Proving once again that I will try anything once, I Pop!ped the cap and began the pour, albeit more gently than usual as I wanted to decant the “chili pepper added”. I also queued up RHCP, Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil” and the Rolling’s Stone’s “Sympathy for the Devil” on YouTube as musical accompaniment. Between my gentle pour and the beer’s inherent carbonation, it was as fizzy as soda pop and quickly fell to wisps. Nose was astounding in the sense that I was taken aback by its heat. This was not going to be like the previous Tommyknocker Chile Beer and no one was going to have any sympathy for me. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with some fizziness from the carbonation. The taste was what every batter fears from the opposing pitcher – high heat! I am probably NOT this beer’s target audience, since I do not handle spice very well. As I have grown older, I have become more tolerant (possibly due to a dulling of my senses), but this was burning my lips, my tongue and my esophagus! This was truly the Devil’s handiwork. I had a feeling that this might be the case, which is why a) I saved it for second and b) I broke out my sandwich to eat with it to help kill some of the heat. I gave up on trying to taste much of anything in this beer about ¼ of the way in as its heat was just too much for me to bear. My eyes were watering, my scalp was tingling, my bald spot broke out in a sheen of sweat, hell, I even felt my eyes beginning to water. This was not pleasant, but nor was it an outright drainpour. I like my drains too much to do that to them. Ha! No, I will rarely pour out a beer, choosing instead to wear its completed imbibing as a badge of courage. In fact, the more I drank of it, the more insensate and inured to it I became to the point that I was home free.

3.52/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This one has to go as one of the top novelty beers out there for the simple fact that they include a whole serrano chili pepper in every 11.2 oz. bottle. Coupled with a clear glass bottle and the transparent yellow liquid, the highlight of the show is on full display. I split this with a friend at Cafe Craft in North Charleston, SC, but insisted that I got to keep the pepper (rock-paper-scissors for the win!). After pouring half in to a pint glass, it appears a little cloudier than I originally thought. Not even a hint of any foam on top. It looks like an extremely cheap macro-lager with an army green pepper ominously floating in the depths. Canned green beans, spicy pepper and a touch of vinegar in the nose. The flavor is pretty much what I expected. A watery adjunct with a slight corn flavor and pronounced pepper heat. The pepper starts out fairly strong and builds on your palate to create a burning sensation. In fact, the spiciness elicited a few sneezes in quick succession, then left a pleasant burn in my mouth and throat. This is as advertised. Mexican corn swill with a fantastic pepper punch. I just wish I would have let my friend eat the serrano pepper. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT eat that. I can't even describe the taste. It gives no appreciable added heat and fills your mouth with a disgusting flavor. Overall, this one is great if you like palate scorchers. I can appreciate this after sampling many purported pepper beers that give little to no spicy heat. I may be in the minority on this one, but I'd happily have it again.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle label data: none.

The pour produces a nice golden hue to the body with lots of fine carbonation; white head immediately dissipates to nothing; slender green chili pepper (serrano?) also in the bottle. Mildly hot chili pepper heat dominates the flavor. Medium bodied.

A respectable chili beer that lacks looks yet does a great job of presenting the heat. Fair enough for the style.

1.83/5  rDev -39.8%

Got a bottle of this for free at the local burrito joint. Clerk said they weren't selling and needed the fridge space. When I stopped by for a late lunch I was just the second person to accept the free beer. Now I know why.

This is a surprisingly unappetizing beer. The color is exceedingly pale and it doesn't have much of a nose. The taste is almost non-existent and serves as a bland canvas for a little chili heat. If there were hops in this recipe, they didn't use much, and I don't care for bitter beers. Not sure what it was, but the more I drank the less I liked whatever flavor was there.

Not really sure who would like this. Folks with a taste for generic American lagers should choose Budweiser or Coors over this. Connoisseurs who like craft beers will find everything an improvement over Chili Devil. It's not even useful for college kids looking to get trashed dirt cheap at just 5 percent ABV.

Don't get burned by this devil. Keep looking.

2.1/5  rDev -30.9%

Ale and a chili pepper is really the only description you need. By itself the taste was horrid, however it had a really cool look with the clear glass and the light colored beer with a chili pepper floating in the bottom. Used the second bottle in a beer cheese dip recipe, that was great.

Chili Devil from Cerveceria Azteca