Victoria Bitter (VB) - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Victoria Bitter (VB)Victoria Bitter (VB)

awful

Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd. visit their website
Australia

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: dwarbi on 02-16-2002)

The iconic bottle makes for a history rich pour every time with gentle aromas oozing from the perfectly formed head. Though bitters can often be deemed harsh the subtleties, or nuances if you will, of the expertly engineered mixture of A grade barley and top notch hops really elevate this delightful beer to the next level. I recommend the immediate consumption of this product to anybody with a love for fine beer.

I'm sorry folks, but this beer is the largest selling beer in a beer drinking culture. If you go to a BBQ, most of the blokes there will be drinking this stuff. As always with a CUB product, it's best to employ the "one in, one out" bottle rotation from the freezer. Ice-cold is the only way to go. There is a distinct crisp taste as it washes over your tounge that lingers long enough to satisfy, never overstaying it's welcome. It is bitter, though pleasently so. Not strong enough to offend your taste buds. Alcohol level is spot on, ensuring you'll get the buzz you're looking for, without knocking you senseless. A great social drink, and isn't that what a good beer is about? While some people are sitting at home trying to over-analyse a brew, thousands of Australians are sitting in the sun downing VB. A mass-produced beer that manages to hit the spot. It is what it is. An Iconic beverage in the land down under, may not suit everyone's taste, but very few Aussies will turn one down!
Take it easy boys and girls!

4.85/5  rDev +102.1%

4.83/5  rDev +101.3%

I am a fan of VB. I have been to the land down under several times while in the Marine Corps. Any bar I went into, VB was the beer of choice.

Appearance: Medium head and clear yellow color

Smell: Light maltly smell mixed with a subtle sweet scent

Taste: In the hot Aussie sun, a VB is best served ice cold. Goes down great. And it doesn't have Bitter in the name for no reason. A full flavored beer. Great for anyday anytime drinking.

Mouthfeel: Felt great to me. In a can, bottle, or out of the tap.

Drinkability: I found it very drinkable. I prefered it over the other beers in Aussie Land. Prefer it over Carlton, Coopers and Fosters.

I don't understand all the bad reviews for Victoria Bitter. Maybe for me it was the environment or maybe the hot Aussie sun, but VB was the best beer in Australia. I remember going to the store and buying 4 cases for the weekend on Friday nights. That would usually last me from Friday night to Sunday night. With no hangover.

4.5/5  rDev +87.5%

4.3/5  rDev +79.2%

3.85/5  rDev +60.4%

A single that I managed to get sent to me from Woomera AB.

Pours a clear copper colored beer with a good amount of tan head on top.

Smell is quite fruity and a little bit sweet to my nose. Mildly hoped and a little floral smelling with maybe a touch of soapiness in the smell.

Mild malty flavor that has the characteristic Australian "Cracker" flavor. Dry and herbal hop flavor that is a little astringent and fruity in taste. Cracker flavor fades quickly and this in fact does dry out in the mouth quite a bit more than I thought it would. What saves this beer is the hops, seems like they are milder than they are but the drying quality they add here makes all the difference.

Mouthfeel is good.

Far more drinkable than the reviews here would suggest to me. Nothing here but a good easy drinking beer and nothing more. Call this what you want, whether it is a Bitter or a Lager it is the best Australian beer I have yet tried.

3.83/5  rDev +59.6%

This beer pours a clear light golden color, with a thin but fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lace.

This beer smells ever so slightly spicy. It has a boiled cabbage odor that I usually detect from this style. It is not nearly as bad as most other beers of the style. The aroma is very subtle

This beer tastes ever so mildly spicy. It has a slightly sweet flavor also. Not too much to it, but as with the aroma, it is better than some Adjunct Lagers I have had.

This beer is crisp. It leaves a slightly sweet aftertaste. It is carbonated well for the style.

This beer would probably make a decent session beer. The flavor is not overwhelming, and not too bad. Also, the alcohol content is not high.

Overall: In the past, before I was into craft beer, I loved this beer. Every time I went to Australia, or Asia, I would get it. I have bar towels, T-shirts, beer glasses. I loved it. Now that I am into craft beer, I see that it is nothing special. But for the style, I still think it is a great beer. I stay away from the style, but I would definately drink this one again.

3.8/5  rDev +58.3%

Appearance: Clear yellow with moderate carbonation movement. Fizzy white head. The can presents a classic image.

Smell: Minor herbal and light malt aromas.

Taste: Interesting balance between malt and hops. Suits the climate well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a bad Australian brew. A great example of one of the nation’s other beers.

3.73/5  rDev +55.4%

--Came in a cool stubby bottle. No freshness date found.
--Average pour in every sense...colour, head, lacing and bubbling.
--What can I say, an average smell as well.

I am not sure what it is about this beer, but it has something that I like and could drink plenty off. It is probably personal as I spent some time in Australia as a college student, so it probably helps me remember this. It is a nice beer that is good for days of multiple beers.
Thx

3.6/5  rDev +50%

3.53/5  rDev +47.1%

Now that a few years have passed and my beer tastes have changed, I think I can understand all of the bad reviews of VB.

That being said, I think they're generally over-critical. In the end for me, all the scores should be just for info and the drinkability score should weigh about 90%.

Based on that, I think VB is a decent beer.

It's appearance is nothing special nor its smell.

I don't know if it was my altered state of mind on my honeymoon, but I thought it tasted great. Maybe because it was always about 85 degrees and the beer was ice cold. Maybe because I was so happy watching an Aussie football game. Maybe because I was enjoying being on a GB Reef cruise or on the beach. Whatever it was, I thought it tasted pretty good, had a great mouthfeel and was very, very drinkable.

With that in mind, it's nothing like the microbrews and well-crafted macrobrews that I now enjoy and deserves to be put in the "C" range overall.

I view it as the MGD of Australia but a little more drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +45.8%

Not what you expect from a bitter at all. There is nothing remarkable about its body or flavor but very easy and comfortable to drink. Initially, I had to get past my bitter preconceptions to realize I just enjoy the moreish taste and crispness of this beer. No lingering pallet and a great warm weather beer.

3.5/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carlton Brewery's Victoria Bitter (VB) pours a slightly darker body than most adjunct lagers; I'd say its color approaches amber. A slightly rigorous pour produces a substantial head that sticks around longer than expected.

The nose is pleasant enough for a cheap lager. Sweet grains dominate; hops are barely detectable; a slightly metallic aroma lurks in the background.

The taste is nicer than expected. Bittering hops have been used to nice effect. The beer hangs on the palate longer than one might expect. Lightly toasted grain flavors are complemented by significant bitterness. As far as macro-brewed adjunct lagers go, this is certainly above-average. I'm impressed. The medium mouthfeel and soft carbonation complement nicely.

Victoria Bitter (VB) from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.