Victoria Bitter (VB) - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Victoria Bitter (VB)Victoria Bitter (VB)

awful

Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd. visit their website
Australia

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: dwarbi on 02-16-2002

2.01/5  rDev -14.8%

I am trying to be constructive. This pours yellow with white foam. Cheesy aroma. A little below average mouthfeel. A little malt in taste, near metallic. The taste is authentic wet cardboard. undrinkable.Aggressive carbination.Poor even for its style. (251 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

the low end of the Australian cheap beer paradigm. its metallic and often skunky, worse in a can than a bottle, limited in its ability to refresh, and honestly a terrible option for the price. carlton draught over vb in a second, even though I know a lot of people who would disagree. even when this beer is cold, it always feels warm somehow, like soapy and thick, adjunct heavy, and over carbonated. I don't get a yeast profile at all, just a standard yellow beer metallic finish. I would compare it to keystone in the united states, with a little more body, but similar off properties. I drank enough of this to know its poison too, hangovers always seem magnified after a night on vb. don't let its rather limited availability in the united states make you think its worth seeking out, its not. you would do better to get a sixer of coopers pale, which seems to be everywhere these days, if you want an Australian beer experience. leave vb for its loyal consumers down under. (979 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -12.7%

I likes me the stubbie bottle design, like I'm an extra in 'Strange Brew'...

This beer pours a clear light golden colour, with minimal thin soapy white head, that leaves a bit of lacing. It smells of bitter beer white cracker malt. The taste is metallic and acrid, the grainy malt way in the background, any hop essence lost in the unpleasant kind of bitterness. The carbonation is moderate, the body pretty thin, and the finish is off-dry and pretty skunky. One of these is more than enough for me, funky bottle or not. (521 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -23.7%

i shall not all out the ba that sent me this one as an extra no matter how funny he was trying to be, but needless to say i had to indulge his joke an try it.

poured into a pint glass the fizzy yellow liquid instantly popped up a nice head of white that quickly faded and left, well fizzy pale liquid. aroma was that of stale corn, wet hay that had been, well lets not go there, it was a mess. each sip was soo light and indescribable it was hard to really put in words. it was just liquified corn and hay, just not needed.

overall fits right in with american macros, just a bad, bad beer. (591 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +36.4%

Victoria Bitter 4.9% 375ml can in NZ

Aroma: light mix of bready malts and spicy hops

Flavor: Mild; good balance although it is sweet up front and a bit bitter by the finish. The hops
dominate eventually in the mildly bitter and hoppy aftertaste.

Feel: medium-light body; crisp and smooth; good, medium+ carbonation.

O: OK as a decent but cheap and widely available (in NZ) beer. (386 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -17.4%

Brown 375ml bottle, one of a six pack bought at a local cut-price store. I visited Oz a few years ago and was given this to drink, I am seeing if it is a crap as I remember!

Poured into one of my Duvel glasses, it is the second lager of the evening (on my drinking lager from around the world night).

Looked like a lager, golden, clear, etc, etc. The white head didn't stay long.

Fairly sweet aroma, but otherwise nothing, gets my standard 3 for lager smell.

Oh dear, there is no taste at all, it is as bad as I thought. Metallic and watery, this is a nasty beer. The other five in the pack will be going to my daughters house, her man drinks crap stuff.

It made me burp, just a fizzy liquid, avoid like the plague! (720 characters)

Had this at a Harry's bar in Singapore watching the Grand Finals of Australian rugby.
Served chilled. But no glass. Drank out of the bottle.
Nothing really outstanding about this beer. Bitter? not really, but I'm a hop head. For and American Macro, this has a bit of taste to it.
Rice or some stale grain is present. Clean drinking, though. I didn't like the shape of the bottle, didn't drink smoothly; or maybe it's just me.
would have another if I didn't see an Irish pub across the street. (493 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +62.3%

A single that I managed to get sent to me from Woomera AB.

Pours a clear copper colored beer with a good amount of tan head on top.

Smell is quite fruity and a little bit sweet to my nose. Mildly hoped and a little floral smelling with maybe a touch of soapiness in the smell.

Mild malty flavor that has the characteristic Australian "Cracker" flavor. Dry and herbal hop flavor that is a little astringent and fruity in taste. Cracker flavor fades quickly and this in fact does dry out in the mouth quite a bit more than I thought it would. What saves this beer is the hops, seems like they are milder than they are but the drying quality they add here makes all the difference.

Mouthfeel is good.

Far more drinkable than the reviews here would suggest to me. Nothing here but a good easy drinking beer and nothing more. Call this what you want, whether it is a Bitter or a Lager it is the best Australian beer I have yet tried. (943 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Orange pour, small pour head.
Smell of faint grains, sweet malts and low hops.
Sweet malty taste, corn syrup, bit of zest, cut off by mildly bitter hops, skunk and a bit of metal.
Light bodied, medium fizz.
Drinkable, but the usual kinda bad adjunct macrolager. Apparently the most easy to come by in the land down under. (321 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -55.1%

Deep golden yellow. Decent frothy head. Looks quite carbonated.

Very strong nose. Quite potent - smells of off vegetable matter, with a hit of ammonia.

Musty, damp unpleasant flavours. Very flat and uninspiring. Wow. Could there be a more unpleasant beer? It's like drinking expensive pond water or something. There's very little there except the late bitter chemical inspired hit.

A very unpleasant beer this one. I'm saying that because this is a very poor beer (probably the worst I've ever tasted), not because I have something against so-called "standard" beers, or the macrobreweries.

Stay well clear. (619 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -42.8%

It's a funny thing that this looks alright because, otherwise, VB has about as much appeal as an STD. Its spotless clarity and deep tone of gold do not personify the beer's nauseating and raunchy character, I can assure you. Likewise, its white head may look pristine but the industrially-produced, chemical-filled, adjunct-ridden beer beneath it is anything but.

"Vic Bitter" has forever marketed itself as an unpretentious, blue-collar, working man's beer and, indeed, it smells like a big, sweaty fat man would after a long day's work under a hot sun. Even dripping with perspiration, dehydrated, exhausted from a full day of outdoor labour I doubt I could drink this. This is so bad it could turn even raccoons away.

VB is affectionately known as "Vitamin B", ironic considering the beer is evidently deficient of malt. It is full, rather, of industrial adjuncts and chemical fillers, the smell of which is as repulsive as (and conjures to mind) green mold. And, truth be told, I'd just as soon take my chances with that than risk finishing this; I think a Tetanus shot might be a good idea.

It is foul and off-putting and far from refreshing. The rawness and unpleasantness of its taste, which is like corn syrup gone bad, is heinously cloying and wickedly wretched on the palate. The fact that it's gone easy on the bubbles only makes things worse; this horrid flavour just sits on the tongue like a filthy pigeon stooped on a ledge. This may have alcohol in it but, believe me, it's a uniquely sobering experience...

I'm told that the Aussies joke that VB stands for "Vomit Bomb", "Vaginal Backwash" or 'Very Bad', none of which come close to accurately portraying the horribleness that is this monstrosity of a beer (but, if I had to chose, I'd say that "Vomit Bomb" probably comes the closest). Normally beer is, as the saying goes, proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - VB would suggest He hates us and wants us to be miserable. (1,958 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -16.5%

Can from the Beer Store, 500ml into a pint glass. Best before Sept 6, 2011 printed on the can.

Poured a pale gold, fluffy white head of a few fingers that laces quite a bit. High carbonation is visible. Nose: yowzers. Distinct 'urine' quality, metallic, cooked veggies/corn, lots of grainiess. Taste is very metallic throughout. "Tin-iness" lingers in the finish. Body is full of grain, and really watery. A general sweetness to it, contrasted by an unpleasant bitterness, almost an odd roasty quality at times. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, fizzy; moreso than most soft drinks. An unpleasant macro, had to pound this. I had no other choice, without drain-pouring this. (673 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

(Served in a short strange)
A- This beer pours a crystal clear bright yellow body with strands of tiny bubbles gliding up to a snow white creamy head that lasted for a bit.
S- There is a soft field corn note to the nose but otherwise it is very clean.
T- There is a soft sulfury bitter hop note that finishes with a field corn flavor that grows and lingers more as the beer warms. M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a clean finish.
D- This beer is a bit bland with the field corn notes being the only real flavors. (523 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -36.9%

A: Light golden with a nice rather large white head that leaves nice lacings.

S: Almost not traceable, but I can sence citrus and alcohol.

T: Flat! But if I'm trying to find something positive - there is some malt.

M: Thin with no flavours - some carbonic acid.

D: Avoid! This must be for those who aren't into big malty or hoppy flavours. It quenches ones thirst, but that's about it. (389 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Clear, pale gold with a fizzy white cap. Fair retention, a bit of spotty lace. Aromas of cereal, grain, lemons. Low bitterness, sweet with some apple and lemon flavour. Faint bitterness in the finish. Light bodied, moderate carbonation, quite dry. Not something I'd come back to again. (285 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +23.3%

It pours a light gold with a 2 finger head of foam and leaves some lacing. A pretty good looking brew.

The smell is of corn, grain, and a nondescript bitterness.

The taste isn't bad up front; there's a decent balance between the corn and grainy sweetness and a light bitterness. On the back end it does get a bit too corny and sweet but overall, it's not that bad. Some compliment for a beer, eh?

Usual carbonation and body for the style, it's easy drinking. It might have been even better before the best by of Aug 2011. :^) (528 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -7.6%

500 ml can from the LCBO. Why? No idea.

Pours a crystal clear golden, pretty dark for an adjunct lager, fluffy white head forms and quickly settles down to a very thin ring, no lacing, looks pretty standard.

Smell is pretty average, vague fruitiness, corn, lots of adjunct sweetness, a bit of garbage bag, not a whole lot going on, lightly grassy and floral, not good.

Taste is worse, apple juice, corn and adjuncts, lightly sweet, a touch of floral, watery, no finish, not good.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, just weak and watery and what little flavour there is isn't very pleasant. (609 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -7.6%

500ml can poured into pint glass jan3 2011

A golden yellow with lots of tiny particles and almost no carbonation and a three finger head that was gone as soon as I turned my head and left no lace

S skunky lemon and maybe some grass

T not far from the smell but even less pleasant, it just tastes off nothing worth drinking

M fairly watery and pretty flat

D not drain pour but nothing I'd ever pay for again

My spouse is from Melbourne and even she thinks this beer sucks, her father however may smash you to pieces if you ever badmouthed VB (547 characters)

2.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml Can poured into a pint glass

A - small white fizzy head, head dissipates quickly. Golden yellow

S - light smell.. nothing much to report, smells like beer

T - Has a very crisp dry taste, not sure why but it reminds me of a dry white wine to some extent. A little on watery side. Also hints of corn syrup

M - highly carbonated, lots of small bubbles.. but it disappears quickly. Beer seemed to be getting flatter as my drinking progressed

D - dry aftertaste (467 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

Pours a thick frothy cushion of purely white head. Masses and masses of swirling carbonation. Beer shouldn't fizz that much, it'll have me farting my arse off. The beer is the most dull, uninspiring colour. Bo-o-o-o-o-ring.

Nose is almost foul, but the foul smell is completely weak, dulled and absent. I know beers are meant to have smell, because I've smelled them, so this is bad. But it's worse because whatever smell is there is quite horrible on its own.

Taste is horrible and flavourless. It tastes like dirt dissolved in water and then filtered many times to get the flavour out. The taste is terrible but the flavour is so weak you can't even taste the horrible taste, if that makes sense. Mouthfeel is sharp and drying and horrific. Like eating nails.

An abysmal, unconscionably bad drop of beer. Flavourless, horrible and harder to get down than a truck full of cement. Avoid, avoid, avoid! (904 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -51.7%

Presentation: 375ml straight sided can. Metallic green with a simple oval like frontage. Victoria Bitter is in white font and wraps around a red middle that has the letters ‘VB’ in black & gold. The Words “Victoria Bitter” AND “VB” ??? Are Australians that bad at working out abbreviations? A gold CUB emblem, in a circle, is atop this oval. The small print states that this can contains 1.4 (presumably midget) standard drinks, which is also 4.9% Alc/Vol.

Appearance: Filtered and pasteurized it offends no-one with its sheer clarity and supreme golden urine looks. Thin whispy white head – that laces the glass with globs of foam, rather than a lace pattern.

Nose: Oh it’s bad – even the depressed temperature cannot hide the sweetcorn, sickly, sticky malts, and a pervasive annoying aroma that screams “Yuck”.

Taste: I made sure I recreated the authentic Aussie surroundings – so I chilled it well and strapped a Sheep to the Bed Posts for later. Man, even after one sip that Sheep looks more inviting. Sickly, corn like, and that’s when it’s well chilled. Thinking it could not get worse, the sado-masochist in me let the last 1” of beer warm up; then it becomes 'really' disgusting, almost a syrupy sticky cloying sweetcorn that stays on the palate no matter how hard you swallow. Goodness Me, It’s awful. Can I give this 0.5 ? Never, I repeat NEVER drink this - unless its extremely well chilled.

Mouthfeel: I tried not to keep it in the mouth for too long, after all, what has my mouth ever done to offend me? Thin mouthfeel that coats the mouth with a slimy warm corn-malt like syrup taste, and it stays there. Sweet ending, that gets sweeter as it gets warmer.

Drinkability: The best part about the Drinkability was the fact that I only had one of these. If I lived in Alice Springs and this was the last beer in the Fridge, I would still keep looking………..

Overall: Apart from the ring pull on the aluminum top, raised lettering states, “please recycle”, oh yeah – I’ll de doing that soon enough. I may even separate the can in the trash.
Does VB stand for Very Bad??? (2,121 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -26.7%

A friend of mine was in CA recently and picked some of this up as you can't seem to get it in any or many other states.

A- pale yellow, white sudsy head, some lacing.

S- typical macro brew smell- grainy, ricey and some alcohol, that's about it.

T- watery, bland- cheap grain flavor with bitter aftertaste, slight lemon taste. Not good- think Bud/Miller light here.

M- extremely thin- watery, little carbonation.

D- no clue why anyone would want to drink this, but you could have them all night because it's not filling, but also not tasty.

I will never drink this again as it reminds me of a Bud/Miller light, etc. beer. I have to go dump the rest down the drain now. (673 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Pours a light golden brown with a very thin layer of head which dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - Very light scent, mostly bready and grassy in nature. The smell is reminiscent of Stella Artois.

T - Grassy malts and bitter on the finish. A bit of a sour lemon flavour present, though this is very mild.

M - Light, bubbly and smooth. Goes down easily, especially on a hot summer day.

D - Not really a memorable beer, but I would never turn one down if offered. It quenches your thirst, but the flavour is rather mild. (535 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

I just got home from a job interview in 24 degree heat and was dying for a beer . I just grabbed a can of VB cause it was new to BC seemed to be the refresher after a hot suit and tough questions. Well, it doesn't suck but the beer seems to be a sweeter ,rougher version of my beloved PBR. I can see myself in the middle of nowhere in Australia drinking a cold can cause there is little elso to choose from. In Vancouver I think this might be my only time trying this beer. (473 characters)

This is a beer that you only order if your at some country pub on a hot summers day and this is the only fullstrength beer available for thousands of kilometres,not a nice beer at all smells like piss water with a mass produced background as like all these types of beers its well carbonated with no love or life inside its bottle,can or whatever way you get it i can assure you i dont have it,the only thing ill be remembering this beer for is its good adverts and catchy tune. (478 characters)

Victoria Bitter (VB) from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.