Victoria Bitter (VB) - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Victoria Bitter (VB)Victoria Bitter (VB)

awful

Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: dwarbi on 02-16-2002)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
DaveFL1976

2.68/5  rDev +14%

VB in the bottle, of course.
No self-respecting bloke gets VB on tap, since Carlton Draught is always right next to it on the tap handles. True, it's the same beer, but let's not get too technical.

VB pours a straw yellow with a loose white head and lots of bubbles. Smell is sweet and corney. I sure can't make out any hops in this aroma. Taste is your typical macrolager with that patented metallic aftertaste that Carlton United is able to do. Not the greatest taste, that's for sure. Mouthfeel isn't bad at all actually. It's just a shame that there's nota good taste to go along with it.

I have no idea why it's called "Bitter"

12-14-2005 02:30:48 | More by DaveFL1976
sulldaddy

Connecticut

2.35/5  rDev 0%

Well I tried this one as a guage of mass produced beers in Aussieland.
The beer is cold and I am using a standard drinking glass.
The beer pours a clear yellow color with a fizzy bleached white head that fades very quickly to a sparse edge layer. Aroma is some husky malt and general sweetness, maybe a bit of citrus fruit (orange). I take a sip and it reveals a clean crisp, but lite body and very fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is clean if uninspiring with grainy malt and a bit of caramel, but mostly sugary sweetness. The sweetness is why most folks down under must like this one. For me it makes it a little tougher to drink. It would be okay after cutting the lawn or baking in the sun on the beach all day, but not an everyday beer for me. Had to try it though.

12-05-2005 22:37:58 | More by sulldaddy
jarmby1711

1.68/5  rDev -28.5%

In some ways VB is unique.
It certainly isnt Bitter , in fact it is more sweet than anything else.It has a Kiwifruit aroma but not in the taste.
It is so poular you have to drink it when offered.
It has a mouthfeel of a beer you have been drinking all day , but right from the start it is like this.
It is dark in colour and the head doesnt want to hang around.
The adverisers and marketers have done a great job on making this an iconoclastic drink.
Label 1/10

06-20-2005 03:38:36 | More by jarmby1711
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

Okay...not great. Despite the name "bitter" it really does feel like and taste like a lager.

Gold colour with fluffy white head. Not much of a lager smell; almost a vinegar hint to it. Since this was from a can, I pick up a noticebly can taste to it, and this taints it somewhat. Otherwise, decent taste, better than some of the adjunct lagers I've had. Not much malts, okay hops.

Drinkable, but I've had better.

06-07-2005 23:03:26 | More by BDTyre
Toddv29424

District of Columbia

3.13/5  rDev +33.2%

Pours a traditional golden color with little or no head. Very little smell, but what you can get is of apples like a light cider. The best way to describe the taste is as if you mixed a lager and cider together. It has a little bitterness to it that comes from the hops used. The aftertaste is slightly dry and fruity, like apples. Great for a lot of drinking.

05-11-2005 07:52:26 | More by Toddv29424
AussieInPhilly

I'm sorry folks, but this beer is the largest selling beer in a beer drinking culture. If you go to a BBQ, most of the blokes there will be drinking this stuff. As always with a CUB product, it's best to employ the "one in, one out" bottle rotation from the freezer. Ice-cold is the only way to go. There is a distinct crisp taste as it washes over your tounge that lingers long enough to satisfy, never overstaying it's welcome. It is bitter, though pleasently so. Not strong enough to offend your taste buds. Alcohol level is spot on, ensuring you'll get the buzz you're looking for, without knocking you senseless. A great social drink, and isn't that what a good beer is about? While some people are sitting at home trying to over-analyse a brew, thousands of Australians are sitting in the sun downing VB. A mass-produced beer that manages to hit the spot. It is what it is. An Iconic beverage in the land down under, may not suit everyone's taste, but very few Aussies will turn one down!
Take it easy boys and girls!

05-05-2005 23:02:52 | More by AussieInPhilly
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev +21.3%

I just got home from a job interview in 24 degree heat and was dying for a beer . I just grabbed a can of VB cause it was new to BC seemed to be the refresher after a hot suit and tough questions. Well, it doesn't suck but the beer seems to be a sweeter ,rougher version of my beloved PBR. I can see myself in the middle of nowhere in Australia drinking a cold can cause there is little elso to choose from. In Vancouver I think this might be my only time trying this beer.

04-28-2005 00:21:06 | More by canucklehead
amicar

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev +38.3%

Well, it seems noody else liked this one much but me...
I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with most of the Aussie beers I tried, but for some reason I liked this one more than most people apparently.

Typical golden color with white head that leaves a little trace of itself. Not much to smell, but a little light herbal stuff; the taste is a litle floral and has a nice little bit of bitterness incvolved. Crisp on the tongue and easy enough to drink. I did have a few of these throughout my stay... Never wowed, but never disappointed...

03-29-2005 02:36:21 | More by amicar
BeerNutta

2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

Vicotria Bitter, what can i say. I must drink this more than any other beer. But this is because i live in victoria and its cheap canon fodder.

If you are looking for a cheap beer, that neither impresses or dissapoints.

MUST be cold. Only a fool would drink this drink otherwise.

Appearance: Yellow to dark yellow.

Smell: Hoppy smell, which dissapears real fast after a few minutes out of bottle.

Taste: Bland with a chemical hop bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Swallow fast. Holding VB in your mouth for too long is not recommended.

Drinkability: What can i say, its damn cheap. Better than other cheap australian beers. Its the beer you have at BBQ's when people want to drink beer and you are short of cash.

02-17-2005 09:35:47 | More by BeerNutta
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

2.88/5  rDev +22.6%

375ml bottle

Pours with a light yellow body, slightly creamy white head, fair retention and some lacing

Smell, slight hint of corn and grain, kinda musky

Taste, quite crisp and some hop bitterness in the background but very very vague. Almost like a light ale in some respects

Pretty average lager

01-26-2005 17:31:19 | More by cypressbob
lacqueredmouse

1.05/5  rDev -55.3%

Deep golden yellow. Decent frothy head. Looks quite carbonated.

Very strong nose. Quite potent - smells of off vegetable matter, with a hit of ammonia.

Musty, damp unpleasant flavours. Very flat and uninspiring. Wow. Could there be a more unpleasant beer? It's like drinking expensive pond water or something. There's very little there except the late bitter chemical inspired hit.

A very unpleasant beer this one. I'm saying that because this is a very poor beer (probably the worst I've ever tasted), not because I have something against so-called "standard" beers, or the macrobreweries.

Stay well clear.

01-15-2005 07:16:16 | More by lacqueredmouse
Andreji

Colombia

2.73/5  rDev +16.2%

Well, the VB was rather a disappointing brew as I expected it to be rather, uh, more hoppy- bitter thus. The nose is rather malty, and the translucidness and small carbonation aren't all that appealing. the taste, rather the major disappointment, is overwhelmed by its poorly hidden alcohol that spoils the mouthfeel as well. It's also sweeter than bitter, which plays a very, very small role just at the end.

06-24-2004 16:57:31 | More by Andreji
canadianbarman

3.73/5  rDev +58.7%

--Came in a cool stubby bottle. No freshness date found.
--Average pour in every sense...colour, head, lacing and bubbling.
--What can I say, an average smell as well.

I am not sure what it is about this beer, but it has something that I like and could drink plenty off. It is probably personal as I spent some time in Australia as a college student, so it probably helps me remember this. It is a nice beer that is good for days of multiple beers.
Thx

06-04-2004 17:19:19 | More by canadianbarman
anders36

Sweden

2.2/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer has a yellow-golden colour. The head is big and white when poured into the glass, but the head disappears quickly. It has a discrete smell, with hints of hops. The taste is light and a bit fruity with some hints of bitterness. Some tastes of hops too. Some of my friends love this beer, but it is not a beer for me.

04-09-2004 15:33:09 | More by anders36
ComradeCanadia

3.13/5  rDev +33.2%

Appearance: Total meh. Big head that -vanished- immediately. Generic straw yellow lager appearance. Nothing impressive at all.

Smell: Um, a bit of malt? There's hops too... very generic, nonexistant smell.

Taste: I liked this stuff at first, but as I tasted it more and more, all I began to taste was crappy adjuncts and the signs of a mass produced, crappy beer. I'll still say this would be a GOOD hot day beer, but as it stands, it isn't bad. I prefer this to Molson Canadian.

Mouthfeel: Not too light or watery, pretty much exactly what I like in a lager. Decent carbonation, and a very dry finish without much aftertaste aside from a lingering bitterness.

Drinkability: As I said before, I could drink gallons of this stuff. Good for a hot summer day, or a night of drinking at a bar or the such. Goes down easy, nice and light on the tounge.. and yeah. Exactly what I like in a beer's drinkability.

Notes: Hehe, this is what I get for knowing little about beer. I had no idea VB was basically Australian Budweiser, and I feel sort of ripped off. If this was cheap, I'd buy it regularly for when I need cheap beer... but it's not, so I won't.

12-04-2003 00:27:01 | More by ComradeCanadia
saskguy

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev +28.9%

Light straw in colour with a big head. Good bubbles through out the drinking process.

A slight malt aroma.

Smooth on the mouth.

Moderate malt flavour with only a hint of hops.

Still have difficulties with a lager being a bitter... So I find it difficult to place the style. An ok hot day beer.

12-01-2003 16:50:41 | More by saskguy
joecast

1.95/5  rDev -17%

nice golden color, fine head dissipates quickly
sort of a "sourish" aroma to it. cant really tell what it is.
not much bitterness to it for something that has bitter in the name, or flavor for that matter.
low mouthfeel, doesnt leave much of an impression.
fairly bland beer overall.

11-09-2003 22:39:03 | More by joecast
diablo14

Australia

as an aussie, im insulted to say this is one of our beers. in fact, CUB stands for everything that is bad in australian brewing. i cant say much more about this beer that hasnt already been said, but my personal assessment is id rather drink cats piss than this. its a disgrace. there is no nose, the taste is laden with horrible horrible adjuncts and if you want to be assured of a screaming hangover that can last for days, have a six pack of this! (or any carlton beer for that matter) if someone can tell me what the difference between all the carlton beers is, please let me know, i struggle to work it out!

10-12-2003 14:16:39 | More by diablo14
Naerhu

Japan

2.63/5  rDev +11.9%

The thinnest beer in the world. Why bother, just drink water with a dash of alcohol. White disappearing, wait, disappeared head. Mean yellow body. Aroma is not there, no, weedy. Weedy and slightly hoppy. Taste five parts water and one part czechvar. This beer is as smooth as asphault.

09-22-2003 16:21:50 | More by Naerhu
TheLongBeachBum

1.13/5  rDev -51.9%

Presentation: 375ml straight sided can. Metallic green with a simple oval like frontage. Victoria Bitter is in white font and wraps around a red middle that has the letters ‘VB’ in black & gold. The Words “Victoria Bitter” AND “VB” ??? Are Australians that bad at working out abbreviations? A gold CUB emblem, in a circle, is atop this oval. The small print states that this can contains 1.4 (presumably midget) standard drinks, which is also 4.9% Alc/Vol.

Appearance: Filtered and pasteurized it offends no-one with its sheer clarity and supreme golden urine looks. Thin whispy white head – that laces the glass with globs of foam, rather than a lace pattern.

Nose: Oh it’s bad – even the depressed temperature cannot hide the sweetcorn, sickly, sticky malts, and a pervasive annoying aroma that screams “Yuck”.

Taste: I made sure I recreated the authentic Aussie surroundings – so I chilled it well and strapped a Sheep to the Bed Posts for later. Man, even after one sip that Sheep looks more inviting. Sickly, corn like, and that’s when it’s well chilled. Thinking it could not get worse, the sado-masochist in me let the last 1” of beer warm up; then it becomes 'really' disgusting, almost a syrupy sticky cloying sweetcorn that stays on the palate no matter how hard you swallow. Goodness Me, It’s awful. Can I give this 0.5 ? Never, I repeat NEVER drink this - unless its extremely well chilled.

Mouthfeel: I tried not to keep it in the mouth for too long, after all, what has my mouth ever done to offend me? Thin mouthfeel that coats the mouth with a slimy warm corn-malt like syrup taste, and it stays there. Sweet ending, that gets sweeter as it gets warmer.

Drinkability: The best part about the Drinkability was the fact that I only had one of these. If I lived in Alice Springs and this was the last beer in the Fridge, I would still keep looking………..

Overall: Apart from the ring pull on the aluminum top, raised lettering states, “please recycle”, oh yeah – I’ll de doing that soon enough. I may even separate the can in the trash.
Does VB stand for Very Bad???

09-11-2003 03:40:39 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Garin

3.15/5  rDev +34%

Wow. Maybe we get a different VB here in Canada. :) It sounds nothing like what I've got here.

It poured a creamy and bubbly head that slowly sunk, leaving nice lacing. Underneath, it was a clear, pale golden yellow with the occasional bubble drifting up. It's a nice looking beer.

The aroma was very light hops with some sweet malt underneath.

The flavour was dry and clean, with a slightly malty accent and a very light grainy sweetness. Finishes with a clean and mild bitter nip. It feels smooth and light in the mouth, with a crisp carbonation.

As far as light lagers go, I have to say this is surprisingly enjoyable. I'd take this any day over a Bud or something like that.

08-16-2003 22:23:52 | More by Garin
IronDjinn

1.58/5  rDev -32.8%

I know they make good beer down in Australia, I really do, but this isn't it. I do like the stubbie bottle though, however that's about the only positive thing I can say. Here on the other side of the world from Down Under I am rather squeamish to admit how much I paid for a 6 of this stuff (knowing that in its homeland people pay less than HALF of what I did), but my sole consolation is that I can bottle my own brew in those nice little stubbies afterwards.

On to the beer. Although I poured it out of a bottle, I may as well have just drank it from a can. A watery straw colour, the hint of head is bubbly and doesn't stick around long enough to make any impression. I'm smelling chemicals here, above and beyond any hint of malt or hops. I'm tasting preservatives here, above and beyond any malt or hops. Kind of like drinking beer out of your own shoe (or worse, someone else's). That's okay, I've drank a lot of beer from all over the world, including my own country, that tastes just like this. Every country has at least one, I just hope it's really cheap there to buy in its homeland.

Ummm...can't wait to empty those bottles to put something better in them.

05-19-2003 09:53:42 | More by IronDjinn
Anonmatel

1.1/5  rDev -53.2%

I don't like this beer, i never have. It's watery, boring, sweet (sorry folks but Victoria Bitter aint that bitter). It tastes almost exactly as both Melbourne Bitter, and Crown Lager.

Oh and their Ad campaings run me up the wall. They look like they come straight out of the 80' (i think they did). And they promote their beer to the Working class Yobbos, Westies, Boagans (rednecks for all you Americans).

09-23-2002 11:16:37 | More by Anonmatel
jahsausage

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

3.25/5  rDev +38.3%

Its a beer that for some reason I am ashamed to like but like it I do. Its basically a watery lager with a hoppy bite but for some reason this appeals to my taste-buds. Apparently its quite popular over the tasman in aussieland but over here in new zealand drinking australian beer is somewhat frowned upon. Especially like it seeing as NZ brewery regulations in the 40s taxed beers over 1035 original gravity making the 4% beer a NZ norm. Luckily not only is VB 4.9% its cheaper than some of the slop our big NZ breweries try to sell (like tui and the lamentable export gold).

08-25-2002 04:07:50 | More by jahsausage
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.33/5  rDev -43.4%

Adjuncts -a-plenty in this brew, smells awful, and no surprises it tastes awful, manages to have some flavour (even if it isn't good flavour, this is the most poular beer in Australia, but then again Budweiser is the most popular beer in america. VB was the first beer i ever had, and i still get stuck drinking more than i'd like coz often its the only beer available. Pretty nasty beer. Tastes better on the way out.

02-16-2002 19:35:41 | More by rastaman
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Victoria Bitter (VB) from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.