Fosters Special Bitter - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Fosters Special BitterFosters Special Bitter

2.25/5  rDev -16%

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

3.75/5  rDev +39.9%

3.66/5  rDev +36.6%

25.4oz can, Sam Adams glass, I was lax in checking this can's date, and therefore it looks like it was made in '05.

I was not shocked, but was surprised to see that this is just another American Adjunct Lager and not actually an ale at all. It is more of an amber, marzen, or Oktoberfest in color. The head was more ale than lager-like, with better retention that usual along with some nice lace and more depth of color that flat white.

The nose is lager-like. This is clean, with saltine, pils malt, and green leafy hop.

This is definitely more full flavored than any other macro lager I can recall. A tiny bit of caramel mixes with dry pils malt and leafy hop with a small bit of noble spice for a beer that is good for an adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel is average in its fizz and lighter heft, but isn't that what lighter lagers are supposed to be?

If I could find in every grocery store, I'd but this for parties and easy summer drinking sometimes.

3.29/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a clear light yellow with a head that fades. Good hop smell and hint of malt. You buy this beer for the refreshing strong hop taste. Think of it as a poor-man's IPA. Has a light body mouth feel and a good thirst quencher - another of my "Lawn mowing" beers. Not easy to find in Central PA. Since a good light lager is hard to home Brew this is one of the few adjunct beers I drink.

2.92/5  rDev +9%

From a 24 ounce "oil can". Label says brewed in Ft. Worth, Texas or Athens, Georgia. Also states "Ale with caramel color added."
Pours amber with a one finger white head. Some lacings too.
Smell is slightly corny, some malts. Taste is similar to one of the better macro malt liquors with some added bitterness (hops?)
Mouthfeel was alright, a bit too much carbonation. For an American adjunct lager it is better than average.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a big 25.4oz or 750ml "Oil Can" into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: It has a very clear and bright golden color with a tall foamy head. The head slowly fades down to a very thin layer that just hangs on until the last sip and makes only some spotty and slick lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is semi-sweet and grainy with a slightly floral hops in the background.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has a somewhat sweet with husky and grainy alcoholic malt and very mild hops that add more bitterness than flavor. Its finish is quick and grainy The texture is slightly thick and smooth with average carbonation and a medium body.

Notes: Overall it was very simple and loaded with cheap adjunct flavor.

3.21/5  rDev +19.8%

Here's a case where I think the overall appearance of the beer made it a little more enjoyable to drink. A nice copper color and with the jumbo can, pouring a very thick head. I had to wait a little while for it to settle down. Much smoother and better than I had expected. Not really all that bitter, but there is a bitter, malty mix that's pretty good, just not that overpowering.

2.81/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured to a good head that lasted for the whole glass. (16 oz.) Also had some decent lacing. Was brownish gold in color. Head was slightly off white. Smelled of corn, a hint of alcohol, and a little skunky. Had a bitter aftertaste that lasted a little while. I had two of the oil cans, one was drank from the can, the other one poured in the glass. I have to admit, releasing the carbontation in the glass actually helped bring out some flavor. Felt ok in the mouth. Carbonation was about right. Felt on the light side in the mouth. I think this would be a ok beer to have on occasion, but certainly not a session beer. Im not a fan of the big mouth cans. Seems like the cans are always dripping when pouring in the glass.

2.1/5  rDev -21.6%

Picked up a few of these "oil cans" at a local liquor mart. This is the only place I've seen them.

I like the regular Fosters occasionally, and have fond memories of it from various parties and times in life. Poured into a pint glass from the freezer, it had a sizeable head, which quickly calmed down to almost nothing. After looking at the color, noticed that the can said "caramel coloring added," so nothing real to go by there. I liked this, I guess, but the drinkablility was hampered by a fakey sort of bitterness that didn't hold a candle to the Fuller's and Young's of the world. Kind of caught in my throat.

I wouldn't get this again. I pick up the regular if it's on special, but for a real bitter, this ain't it.

2.31/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Dark goldish brown with sparse thin white head that quickly dissipates.

A- Not much in the aroma department, kindof an old vegetables smell. Whatever it is "not pleasant" can easily describe it. Though I found the aroma hard to find unless smelling right after puring when it still has a head.

T- Taste was much better than the aroma. More of a malty sweetness than most "american macros" though. Very slight bitteness, not very pleasant like ESBs though.

M- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

D- I've had several military friends rave about this beer calling it VB, if you are into VB you will love this. I probably won't buy any more of this. The price is right, but the taste makes me feel gross inside.

1.91/5  rDev -28.7%

This ale came in a large 25.4oz can, like regular Fosters. Appearence is a dark gold/brown, with a thick head. I thought it smelled bad until after I started drinking it, then it did not bother me as much. Taste is o.k., a little bitter (thus the name, I imagine) and weak. Mouthfeel is thin and kind of watery for an ale of this color, and you can hardly tell it's carbonated. It has a strange, sour aftertaste. Overall, not worth the money.

1.41/5  rDev -47.4%

Regular Foster's is by no means my favorite beer, but I'll drink it if it's a choice between that and a standard macrobrew like Miller Lite or Bud Lite. That being the case, I was kind of excited to give this a try. I've often found that the lesser known brews from larger brewers are a little better quality and decided to pick a can of this up to try.

Wrong choice.

Upon opening the can, the first thing I noticed was the terrible smell. I knew it was going to be awful the second the seal broke. My fears were confirmed on the first sip. It's bitter (not in a good way), strong smelling (not in a good way), feels gunky and slimey in your mouth, and is an all around unpleasant experience. Admittedly I didn't bother to pour it from the can into a glass in order to improve the experience, but I really don't think that would have helped much.

If you are stuck drinking this for some reason (I pity you!), drink it with a block of sharp cheddar cheese. That by no means made it good - but it made it drinkable. On its own, this is an awful, skunky, nigh undrinkable brew. Avoid.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Fosters Special Bitter from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.