Carlton Cold - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Carlton ColdCarlton Cold

awful

Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd. visit their website
Australia

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 02-24-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by magnusdave:

magnusdave, Feb 26, 2013

fionn13, Jun 04, 2012

Wow, what an amazing beer!!!! no actually its trully terrible, nasty chemical preservative taste, another crap Aussie lager.

rastaman, Apr 04, 2002
1.8/5  rDev +13.2%

From a clear glass bottle (how do they expect that to help, especially in sunny Oz?), this beer pours a clear, very pale golden, like once, twice, three times diluted apple juice. It has a whole whack of puffy, airy, white head, that leaves some lacing around the glass.

It smells of very faint white grain, and, well, hard water. The taste is mildly sweet white grain - rice husk and mealy corn, and skank. Don't know if it's from the grain or any hops that might have made it into this waste of time, but I also don't care. It gets a decent score on the skank scale, actually, and that's because I have a recent Coors Light experience from which to make comparisons, and frankly, the Coldness of Colorado beats out the Coldness of C.U.B., hands down in this case.

The carbonation is moderate, the body pretty thin, and it finishes off-dry, with more of that adjunct sweetness lingering like a bad cold...wait, no, ok, pun intended...

Had to try this in the interest of Beer Advocacy and general ignorance on my part of Australian beer. Never again. I want my 7 bucks back, kitschy Aussie theme pub!

biboergosum, May 21, 2009
1.15/5  rDev -27.7%

This is only a beer to drink when your extremely drunk. If you can stomach this stuff when your sober then you have a belly made for drinking crap. Wash it down with anything but another Carlton Cold

Anonmatel, Sep 08, 2002
1.88/5  rDev +18.2%

Its hard to comment on the taste of Carlton Cold because its quite hard to actually find it. On its incredibly smart looking clear bottle it even claims to be a bitter! Best compared to the very similar budweiser and millers from the US. Extremely easy to drink but at the end of the day it tastes more like a soda-pop than a beer.

jahsausage, Mar 13, 2002

BuddhaBrowett, Jul 05, 2014
1.6/5  rDev +0.6%

Rickus, Sep 06, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -30.8%

Honestly and without hesitation I can say that I used to love this beer.
When it was considered a heavy, in the older style bottle and before the $5m relaunch.
It had the crisp yet satisfying appeal but now that Carlton have sucked the the living essence out the first beer I ever tried I will never be buying it again.

All I can say is good job to the dickhead who thought that that was a good idea.

WaynesWorld, Mar 16, 2014

BrazilianAussie, Feb 21, 2012

Jake321, Oct 21, 2012

colbster92, Sep 29, 2013
1.02/5  rDev -35.8%

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this crap. Oh well, I payed a dollar fifty for this so I could satisfy my "curiosity" to find out whether this beer is as bad as I remember it.

A- For some reason, I poured this into my pilsner glass. Hell, I bet most drinkers of this wouldn't pour it at all. Looks like piss with dissolved chemicals on top that attempt to form a thin layer of head which dissolves instantaneously.

S- This smells like the result of blending a small amount of soap and a HUGE amount of water together. Unless my imagination is playing tricks on me, I can also detect a faint, bizarre metallic twinge which worries me a little. I do wonder EXACTLY what goes into this mass-produced bile.

T- Oh. My. GOD!! This actually tastes feral. The taste reminds me of water that has been left in a plastic bottle for a year- where the plastic has started to seep into the water. Hideously offensive, this is a true assault on the palate. Battery acid would be more appealing. What saddens me, is that there is no beer flavour of any kind at all. I tend to think that the label of "filtered" is refering to the ingredients themselves- that they have all been entirely 'filtered' out.

M- Insultingly watery and horrendously flat. I could have spent my dollar fifty on a bottle of water instead, hey, it would have tasted and felt the same. So disgusting that any chance this had of being somewhat refreshing is completely negated.

O- I utterly don't believe that people can label this atrocity 'beer' while keeping straight faces. This is to beer what Justin Bieber is to music: fake, mass-produced, weak and a disgrace. Yet despite all this trash talk about this *splutter* beer, I actually had a positive experience drinking this- it reminded me of precisely why I switched to craft beer in the first place. The people at CUB need to be jailed for fraud- or even better, shot on sight.

aeolianshredhead, Aug 09, 2011
2.03/5  rDev +27.7%

Boldly going where many reviewers have gone before and ending up unsurprised. Had a hard time figuring out which beer to review, the labeling is very vague.

Pours a nice light golden color, smells of malt, metal and fruit snacks.

Flavor is incredibly light, very little going on. Very light malt, very light fruitiness, very watery. Decent carbonation at least....

I've had worse lagers, but I'd pick several others before grabbing this one.

istarilord, Aug 23, 2009
1.88/5  rDev +18.2%

I'm almost embarrased to admit that I've drank this beer. Luckily I got a bottle for free with a meal on Lygon Street in Melbourne. (the meal wasn't very good, either).
With its clear bottle ready to skunkify the beer, Carlton proudly exclaims that this beer is cold! Wow, way to go Marketing Department!
No smell, no head, mildly sweet corny taste, patented metallic CUB aftertaste. This is one to avoid; maybe even if it's free.

DaveFL1976, Jan 04, 2006
2.13/5  rDev +34%

This pours a golden colour with a good finger of head. Some lacing and retention.

A nose of grains and some hops. I keep thinking about burnt toffee but maybe I am imagining it.

Some grainy notes on the palate. The normal CUB metallic taste is not there, thank god.

Reasonably crisp with medium to high carbonation.

Macca, Jan 14, 2009

avschmitt, Nov 14, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +57.2%

Julian4077, May 11, 2012

galluch, Jan 17, 2012

magpieken, Apr 11, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -21.4%

this beers is crap when i open there is minimal fizz from the low carbonation in the beer its self. the aroma that comes out when first opened is putrid my fat chicks girlfriends shit smells and tastes and better than this and trust me i would know. give me a VB any day that shit is fucking holy water even better taken as a suppository.

piss-wreck44, Jan 04, 2014

djbx, Oct 20, 2013

klipper, Dec 15, 2011

mrjez, Jul 27, 2014

spycow, Mar 15, 2014
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Carlton Cold from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.