Carlton Draught - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Carlton DraughtCarlton Draught

awful

Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-04-2002)
TheCyGuy

Louisiana

In my personal oponion this is the best beer on the planet. I love this beer its simply impeccable. I have had many different beer from many breweries from all over the world and I like many different beers. But most beers get old to me after drinking them regularly for a while. Not this one I can drink it early and often and it never gets I old or is a bad time to have a Carlton Draught I just simply love this beer.

10-12-2013 00:33:17 | More by TheCyGuy
rowey77

3.6/5  rDev +69%

Great sessionable beer on tap, dont care what anyone says this beer is easy to drink and great for a social drink. Have had many night where i can drink 10 - 20 pots of carlton draught without batting an eyelid, there arnt many better beers out there on tap.

07-14-2010 23:14:33 | More by rowey77

3.25/5  rDev +52.6%

02-26-2013 01:55:24 | More by magnusdave
vancurly

3.03/5  rDev +42.3%

Light amber in colour, low sudsy head. Plenty of CO2.
Aromas of metallic PoR. Reminds me of my youth... sun, sand, salt, and the smell or PoR...
Average Aussie macro. If you know what to expect, it's not bad compared to some others.
Medium bitterness, not much "body", but more than a dry beer. Refreshing.

02-19-2007 03:38:02 | More by vancurly
schoon

Iowa

01-16-2014 02:04:06 | More by schoon
amicar

Missouri

Golden beer with white head.
"Bright" smell, but I can't identify much
More bitterness than some others I had in australia, but still not too much
Not much special on the mouthfeel, a little thin and unimpressive
Easy enought to drink, but I didn't get another...

03-29-2005 02:40:13 | More by amicar
bpasquetti

06-19-2012 12:37:26 | More by bpasquetti
btmo

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

2.93/5  rDev +37.6%

This is one of Carlton's better beers. However, it appears that it doesn't travel well, it isn't too flash when poured from a can, but when it comes from the tap it is actually quite pleasant.

The flavour has a certain "nuttiness" that is nice, but as with all beers of this style (in my experience and opinion) if it ain't cold, it ain't worth the trouble.

If you find yourself in Melbourne, this *is* one to try. Don't expect great things, but it is a halfway decent Aussie macro.

09-01-2006 07:11:36 | More by btmo
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev +33.8%

this is not a good beer, but it is uncontestably the best of the cheap aussie macros. without a shadow of a doubt, this is the least offensive, most flavorful, most refreshing beer in that genre. it is darker than yellow, more brass than anything, and makes a reasonable head when poured into a chilled glass. smells and tastes malt forward, not sweet or metallic or adjuncty, but like actual fresh barley. its pretty solid really, finishing clean and satisfying any thirst. very well carbonated and not so light as some of the others. I spent many a dollar on cases of this stuff when I lived there, and still enjoy one of these from time to time when I see it around, which is becoming more common. it takes me to a time and place that I really loved, and sometimes you just love a beer for its teleporting powers, not its fundamentals. on those grounds, I love carlton draught.

10-31-2013 17:42:26 | More by StonedTrippin

08-14-2014 14:36:23 | More by emincems
xduderx

Tennessee

2.75/5  rDev +29.1%

I had tons of this stuff while visiting Australia. Not because it was what I wanted, but because it was often times the only option. I expected more out of an Australian beer honestly and this beer and VB are no better (and maybe worse) than various miller and AB products. That being said...

A = Not bad. Has a nice coppery color and good head. I was really expecting a lot out of this beer based on apperance.

S = Maybe a slight malty bread smell, but not very strong.

T = Average. very bready. reminded me of a miller product, kinda.

M = Thinner than expected and overly carbonated.

D = Never gave me a hangover, was cheap, and went down easily. Overall an average beer with nothing special to it but nothing completely horrible either.

12-04-2008 21:51:27 | More by xduderx

mikelward

08-24-2013 23:53:41 | More by mikelward
joecast

2.7/5  rDev +26.8%

pale yellow, not too fizzy looking beer. appearance is definitely not its strong suit.
unoffensive, unobtrusive aroma. well, there isnt much i could pick up, so i guess that means it isnt bad...
taste is pretty much malt accented, but not to the point of being sweet. also lacks the off/metallic twang that many other aussie macros hang their hats on. and due to that, probably better than most.
while this would never be mistaken for a craft brew, it has some qualities that i think arent too bad. for a quick fix, and if nothing else is available, this is easily passable.

09-24-2004 11:42:44 | More by joecast
DaveFL1976

2.68/5  rDev +25.8%

Carlton Draught
Stork Hotel, Elizabeth St, Melbourne
Sept 7 2005 @ 3:20pm

I think that in order to appreciate good, craft-brewed beer, you need to occasionally calibrate your palate to reacquaint yourself with the local macrobrew. Here, at the Stork Hotel, just meters from the suburb of Carlton, I’ll finally review Carlton Draught.
Carlton pours a dark straw colour, and the white head lasted a lot longer than I expected it to for such a macro. Now on to smell… this might not be the most objective smell review ever, as this is a smoky bar. As I put the beer to my nose, I only notice a cooler, smokey-scented air. I certainly can’t make out any malt or hop flavour, or any adjuncts, or anything, and the bar’s not THAT smoky, so I’m just leaving it that this is not a very nose-provoking beer.
Upon first introduction to your mouth, the taste is crisp and clean. But wait, there’s more. Next comes the metallic taste. I’m not sure how Carlton United does it, but they inevitably get the same taste in the beer. Being Australia and all, I’m surprised that they’d go to the trouble of importing pennies from the United States to throw into the fermentation tanks, but evidently that’s what they do. The aftertaste is not at all unlike the sensation of touching your fingers to your tongue after rifling through a pocketful of change. Anyways, mouthfeel isn’t that bad, and perhaps that’s why it sells so much. The beer is light, thirst-quenching, well carbonated and mostly drinkable. It’s that damn copper-oxide aftertaste that gets in the way. Maybe THAT’S why it sells so well: It’s not that bad while you’re drinking it, but as soon as you swallow you become cognizant of that patented CUB metallic aftertaste and need another sip to wash away the copper taste.
In my 9 months in Australia, I’ve drank plenty of Carlton, I’ve always thought it’s less-than-good, but somehow…maybe socially…I find myself coming back for more. God help me.

09-07-2005 22:02:35 | More by DaveFL1976
BeerNutta

2.65/5  rDev +24.4%

If you are in Australia this beer comes under the same banner as Victoria Bitter, Carlton Cold Etc... For all those who don't come from Australia.. This beer is basically cheap canon fodder.

A = Dark Amber

S = Bitter grass smell.

T = Chemical taste that then gets drowned out by bitterness.

M = Moderate carbonation. Bitter aftertaste is a bit unpleasant at times.

D = Cheap Canon fodder. Good at the footy.

08-15-2005 04:19:26 | More by BeerNutta
rec

2.53/5  rDev +18.8%

Near identical to the over-priced Crown Lager, it's bland and flat. It looks dissimilar to every other Australian session beer.

There's nothing stand-out in the taste department either. It's generally watery with a metalic aftertaste, but gets less noticable if you continue drinking.

I've drunk a lot of this beer in my time, and give it only credit due to its budget price and availability down-under - it is at least better than most other Australian beers in the same price range.

01-21-2007 09:57:38 | More by rec
Otterburn

Quebec (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev +18.8%

This is a really average beer. But not that bad. The color is a bit amber, smells , nothing really to say and the taste is average.
I not taking note while I drankthose beer but , theres nothing to say about it. Its just a ordinary beer in Australia.

06-03-2009 08:09:29 | More by Otterburn
avschmitt

11-14-2012 22:06:26 | More by avschmitt
Julian4077

05-11-2012 10:31:32 | More by Julian4077
magpieken

04-08-2013 15:48:21 | More by magpieken
Carlton Draught from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.