Carlton Dry Fusion Lime - Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

Carlton Dry Fusion LimeCarlton Dry Fusion Lime

pDev: n/a
Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd. visit their website
Australia

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Macca on 01-05-2009)
1.23/5  rDev n/a

Why did I even buy this? I know it's going to be terrible. Sigh, at least now I'll have an informed opinion about it.

Pours a very pale, very clear yellow colour, with a fine-bubbled but filmy head of white which sits in a collar around the edge. Leaves some decent lacing, but I can't get over the fact it looks like every other generic Australian lager, and indeed, worst than most.

Nose is shandy-sweet, with just flavours of lemonade and sugar, with an oddly rank, almost salty or seawater character lingering at the back. Smells like the sort of beer Tony Abbott would drink.

Taste is absolutely dreadful. Seriously, seriously awful. Initially, it tastes of nothing, but there are strains of lemon-lime soda mid-palate that try desperately to overwhelm the welling of Carlton yeast-stock and a twang of something sharp, medicinal or chemical. Blurgh. Feel is thin and light, giving little help in any direction.

This is really, really terrible. Not satisfied with giving us unpleasantly bland lagers, Carlton have thrust this unholy chimera upon us, that seeks to veil its horrible base in something sweet and whimsical. But it ends up worse than when it started. Truly appalling.

1.08/5  rDev n/a

Pours very fizzy, masses of algal bubbles all around the edge of the glass, beer is very pale gold with white head that sinks and looks meringue-like, all webbed out. Leaves some specks of lacing but not much. For what it is, it looks alright - fizzy and pale. Not very beer-y though.

Nose is an unpleasant affair, which delivers what it promises in lime and salt, but without any other ingredients to back it up. It's not sweet from malt, and some light hopping could really accentuate the citric character. Instead, it's got a mineral character, metallic and quite funky. Smells more like stomach acid than citric acid and not in the least bit like beer.

Oh my FUCKING CHRIST. I will personally petition BA to introduce a 0 rating exclusively for use in reviewing the taste of this beer. Starts out unpleasant. Gets worse. Gets exponentially worse after that.

Okay, in clearer terms: Insipid, watery lime flavour on the front, more like an artificial lime lolly than a genuine tart citrus fruit character. Salt takes over, and it begins to taste like pool water (I believe I've swallowed enough of that in my childhood to know what it tastes like). Then - oh horror of horros - an increasinly intense Carlton Draught bread yeast character comes through blaringly loud and fast, blending in the most appalling way with that disgusting salt to form the most putrescent flavour imaginable, like kindergarten glue or something, doughy and salty. This is a flavour straight from the anus of Hell.

Feel, need I even say it? Shit. No impression, no fizz, just wet and cold.

What a festering stink this travesty is. This is not beer, it's a lowest-common-denominator marketing tool aimed at credulous simpletons who would drink sheep piss laced with arsenic if it had a CUB logo on the bottle. I only bought this to give as a gag gift to my brother, and luckily for him and my conscience he didn't take it home. Jeffrey Dahmer wouldn't be able to stomach this, and even he doesn't deserve to have this inflicted upon him.

The big joke is, the cocks at Carlton are clearly just trying to emulate the limited and unjustified success of the worst beer concept there is - Miller Chill. And they've made it WORSE.

I can't drainpour this quickly enough.

1.83/5  rDev n/a

Seeing as the radler is one of my least favourite styles of beer, and I rate Carlton Draught as the worst beer in Australia, it is fair to say that I have low expectations of this beer. I hope this review proves to be objective and unbiased.

Appearance - 3.0
Poured a medium white head that steadily reduced to a thin patchy layer over a pale golden body.

Smell - 1.5
Aroma is vegetal and less dominated by lemon than one would expect. Quite unpleasant.

Taste - 1.5
As expected, not good. Too sweet for my taste, but less so than some other radlers. A light adjunct lager taste of husk and corn is barely perceptible behind the tart lemon and a slightly soapy taste. Very little bitterness, hence less of the usual Fosters Group metallic taste.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Moderately carbonated, reasonably smooth, nothing to complain about here.

Drinkability - 2.0
I'd rather not drink this again, but it never came close to being a sink pour.

OVERALL - 2
Having been told that this beer is "worse than Miller Chill", I am surprised to be scoring it this (comparably) highly. I certainly will not bother with Carlton Dry Fusion again, but I would be lying if I did not say that it has exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations.

1.9/5  rDev n/a

The bottle tells me that lime has been added for "freshness" and salt for "enhanced smoothness". My taste buds are a little scared.

This pours a pale golden. Very clear. A large bubbled head does not hang around for very long and disappears almost completely.

Not much on the nose other than the overpowering lime aromas.

Oh that is just awful in the mouth. Salty dishwashing liquid! I think I could handle the flavour but the saltiness makes it unpalatable.

This obviously CUB's go at roping in those who cannot afford alcopops anymore. Maybe it will work but if you like beer stay well, well away from this rubbish.

1.08/5  rDev n/a

Medium sized white head over a golden yellow body. very standard and soft drink looking

Cabbage vegtible notes, artifical tones of salt water and slight lemon tang.

Adjunct malt with a cheap lemon lime tang with a sea water after taste. This beer is dead set salty and its god dam terrible. Cheap hops barely present in the background. Everything about this beer tastes cheep and out of place. Truly the worst "beer" i've ever tried.

A Genuine monkfish among beers, and tastes a bit like one too.

2.54/5  rDev n/a
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

sweet , but less so than some other radlers. A light adjunct lager taste of husk and corn is barely perceptible behind the tart lemon and a slightly soapy taste. Very little bitterness, hence less of the usual Fosters Group metallic taste.

Carlton Dry Fusion Lime from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.