Cottonwood Low Down Brown Ale - Carolina Beer Company

Carolina Beer Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cottonwood Low Down Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -34.2%

This one seemed to rub me the wrong way.
The beered poured a nice almost black color which is good for the style. Dark creamy head, that seemed to linger longer than most with excellent lacing.
Thats where the good ended for me.
The nose was very malty, with hops trying to tickle my nostrils.
Taste to me was almost medicinal. Had a very strange, medicine like taste that I couldnt put my finger on. It was very malty as well, but also very strange.
I bought a six pack of this and almost had to force it down. I didnt like it too well.

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

2.56/5  rDev -27.7%

From notes. Found this one passing through Charlotte airport. Pours clear, medium brown, red highlights when backlit. Moderate head fades fast but leaves some lacing. SMELL is vaguely roasty, almost sweet. Not complex, no legs. TASTE dominated by sour/astringent flavor, perhaps an "off" flavor? infected? dirty lines? Roasted grains barely poke through. FEEL thin side of medium body, benign texture, lingering sourness. OVERALL sour astringent flavor dominates. As noted above, perhaps a bad sample.

2.65/5  rDev -25.1%

served in a nonic glass from a long neck brown bottle with a twist-off cap

Mahogany.very slight haze with a 1/2" thin head dissapating quickly to a thin coating.Some staggered streaming bubbles.not much lacing.

dark fruity aromas hints of fig,nuts and toffee,had and English nose to it, but not vinious like some are.

Clean taste,bit watery some dark fruit,nutty,bits of chocolate towards the finish was a slight sour/acidity feel,clean tangy finish very light on hops.

Grainy texture,light,watery feel,a little rough on the edges. Not interesting enough to make me want another. Not a bad beer,just not worth buying again

2.66/5  rDev -24.9%

On tap @ the Charlotte airport Carolina Beer Company restaurant. I guess this place doesn't actually brew their own beers anymore, but instead contracts them out. Still, it was better than the selection at the Fox Sports Café, and we got some food. The place was nice, and the other beer we tried was better than average. However, I thought this just fell short of the mark.

Brought to the table in an oversized pint glass, this beer looks great. It is mahogany with brown and caramel edges. It has great head retention and decent lacing.

Too bad it's all downhill from there. The smell is decent, but nowhere near best in the genre. It's got a mild roast that gives some chocolate notes along with some acidity and nuttiness. Slight earthy hops make their presence known as well. Also a touch of a metallic tinge makes the nose just average at best.

The taste is a disappointment. That metallic tinge in the nose becomes very distracting right off the bat. At first I thought it may be an infection, but I actually think it's just a bad, acidic nuttiness that I can't stand in beer. Not nearly sweet enough, the caramel malt struggles and it's missing a touch of roast that makes brown ales identifiable. Hops have left the building. Really, really not a good taste here.

It's highly carbonated and not hefty enough for the style. Light, watery, and bubbly. This beer started nicely but went downhill in a flash when I got to the most important part - the taste. Very disappointing and not only do I not want to ever try this again, I'm hesitant to try anything from this brewery. I thought after a week drinking Caribbean beer in Jamaica that anything American would make me happy. This made me miss Dragon Stout even more.

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a nice brownish color with a decent tan head that fades quickly and leaves absolutely no lace. A bit of caramel malts in the nose but also a slightly sour smell that sits in the background. Starts off with some decent malty sweetness and has some hops in the background but again there is that sourish taste that is hovering over everything. Slick and not very drinkable are the only ways that I can describe this brew. I really hope that this was just a bad bottle that I got. Freshness dating on the label was not used by brewery?? Had the months listed but none of them had a notch in it. Not having tasted this before I can't really tell you if this was a bad bottle or night, but I hope it was.

2.78/5  rDev -21.5%

Brown body with growing light colored head. Very little retention and very little lacing. Not too much for the nose. Light coffee with some deep roasted maltiness. Sweet light malt taste with no hops balance that I can find. A little watery and thin feel but enjoyable light malt palate. Not a beer I'd ask for by name at the store but I might try it again.

2.85/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance - pours a caramel brown color, like cola. Light tan head makes it up to a finger then fades, not even making a complete cover. Throws a spot of lace occasionally.

Aroma - I thought I caught a whiff of milk chocolate on the pour but it quickly disappeared behind a conservative curtain of roasted grain. Even that fades a bit as the beer settles.

Taste - roasted grain, mildly sweet. A rather plain profile. A little chocolate appears with some warmth. Has a redeeming warm and roasty quality on the swallow and aftertaste, but overall this is a fairly plain example of the style. Tasty, but average.

Mouthfeel - a good element of smoothness, nicely weighted with tempered carbonation.

Drinkability - an easy beer to quaff. There is a sourish kind of sweetness that i'm noticing more in the browns. I first noticed it in Tommyknockers Nut Brown, a kind of mapley sour sweetness I don't care for. This one has it to a small degree but right now I'm not in a 'brown ale' mode because of it.

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%

On tap 9/13/05 at Taste Of Carolina bar in the airport in Charlotte, NC.

Solid brown with a low tan head. Light roasty aroma with a touch of diacetyl. Surprising buttery flavor with hints of chocolate and roasted malts underneath. Light-medium bodied with a light roasty dry finish.

Whew ... had a much better experience with the bottled version -- hopefully this was isolated to the bar I had it at.

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%

From notes:

A- Poured dark brown with small head that turned to a ring through first half then disappeared completely.

Sm- Roasted malts, slight coffee/chocolate

T-Biscuit, Roasted malts, slight coffee/choc. Finish is empty.

Mf- light, slick, low carbonation

Dr- had this as my shift beer last week. nothing great going on here, but not bad either. I've had better from this brewery, but that was years ago.

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

A: The ale is a deep brown color with garnet highlights but no head.

S: The nose is slightly nutty with a bit of a metallic aroma.

T: The taste seems to lack the nuttiness that it should have. The flavor is bland, slightly metallic and finishes rather quickly. Hops bitter only and don't make a statement.

M: The mouthfeel is blah, not really doind anything.

D: The beer is not so hot, seeming to lack any really defining character.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

Nice brown colour with white head. Thanks crwills. Mollasses and licorice in scent and in taste.Malty, but not well malted, more sugary with fizzy carbonation. Got sick of it after first swallow. Another brown and not all that satisfying at that, more body needed.

Poured this beer into a pint glass. It pours a rich looking dark brown. The head was a tannish-white, medium density, and about a ¼ inch thick. The head faded rapidly and did leave some lacing as it was consumed. The aroma was of cereal grains and a bit of caramel, not bold but a light nose. A decently rich flavor of grain and caramel, not bad. A bit of a toasty flavor in there as well. The mouthfeel was a bit slick with low carbonation. Overall not a bad brown ale.

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

Had on tap at the bar thats in the middle of all the terminals at Charlotte airport.

A - Poured a brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of sweet grainy malt for the most part

T - Follows the nose starts with grainy malt has a bitter finish

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - I don't know why my experience is a lot different than others with this beer maybe the airport doesn't take care of its lines but mine was very average at best

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

pours a light ot medium brown with an immediate nutty aroma and flavor. chocolate is also prevelant as well as a hint of caramel. pretty smooth feel to it as well. overall, a pretty average brown ale, but not a bad first experience with this company's brews. i'd be inclined to try some more of their stuff.

3.07/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Poured from bottle into pint glass. Color was dark brown but translucent in the light. Virtually no head and zero lacing.

S: Very little in the way of aroma.

T: Pleasant nutty malt flavor with slight bit of smoke in the finish. Hops were there but not prevalent until the finish and then were still quite light coming in second to that sort of earthy/smoky aftertaste.

M&D: On the light side of a medium bodied brew with relatively light carbonation.

I wasn't very taken by LDB. At the pour I began to wonder if perhaps I had a bad bottle as there was literally no head at the end of an aggressive pour. Upon closer examination I noted there was plenty of carbonation but hardly (if any) aroma. Odd. The taste is good with an immediate earthiness and some lingering light sweetness but I don't know if I like that smokiness that sort of hangs in they back of your throat.

Overall, it was okay but not a favorite.

3.07/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass on 12/22/09

Dark brown; burnt highlights. One finger head dissipates at a moderately slow rate. Thin layer of retention. Lacing is minimal; just one medium-sized patch.

Earthy aroma with a decent hop character; well-blended. Toasted malts & hints of dark bread. Nutty undertones. The nose has a penchant for subtlety.

Hops are at the fore offering both modest bitterness & a spicy kick. Sturdy malt backbone: dark bread; toasted malts; maybe a hint of caramel; roasted nuts. It has an odd, almost tart flavor on the finish - not sure what that's all about.

Leans more toward full bodied than medium. Carbonation seems two-fold; prickly upfront, then smoothing out toward the finish. Lingering notes of toasted malts & nuts.

Not bad; on the whole it's a pretty decent beer. The tartness seems really out of place to me, though.

Note: At the time of review I wasn't familiar with infected beer; now it makes me wonder...

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a deep reddish-brown with a one finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, chocolate, and tobacco. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, raosted malt, a hint of chocolate, and tobacco on the followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was not a very good brown ale. I wouldn't go as far to say that is was horrible, but the tobacco aspect I got just killed this one for me. Personally I wouldn't suggest this to anyone.

3.11/5  rDev -12.1%

Drank this in Charlotte airport.

Pours a gorgeous deep hazelnut brown with a generous 1/2" inactive cream-colored head.

Smells of malt and butter, but little else. However, as a qualifier, I am sitting in a cloud of cigarette smoke while drinking this, so aroma may be difficult to discern.. such is life.

Tastes like red oak, minus the excessive butteriness and fruitiness... also reminds me quite a bit of newcastle, only a bit more buttrery

Big creamy mouthfeel... not bad.... reminds me of butter.... like it tastes.

Not a bad beer, but unoriginal.... and while not as buttery as Red Oak, still entirely too buttery.

3.12/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Nice chestnut brown, it couldn't hold a head.
S- The smell is the best thing about this beer and maybe set me up for the letdown on the taste and feel. The smell is caramelly, and warm.
T- For a brief second the flavor is there and then it just disappears into nothing but water.
MD- The feel is also to watery for the style. It goes down easy but I doubt I would drink this one again.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Good - I'd recommend - same taste as a darker bock.
Appearance - slight hazy brown.
Smell - I served it a bit cold, but still not much there. A bit of hops, maybe some caramel?
Taste - Nice & balanced. mild hops to mild malt - hops last longer leaving a hoppy aftertaste (liberty/cascade hops?)
Mouthfeel - taste is slightly overpowered by carbonation
Drinkability - just above average. after one or two that fizz gets the better of the taste and it's just not worth it.

3.16/5  rDev -10.7%

The pour was a deep brown, but showed a dark red tone in direct light. It gave a good one inch head that quickly dissapated and left a light beige lace that held on for about half the drink.

The smell was heavy malt with just a slight whiff of hops as it warmed.

The drink started with a slight hop bite that was quickly followed and overpowered by malt sweetness. In the middle the hops decided to show up again. The finish was alot of lingering malt.

All and all I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, I wasn't unimpressed, I just wasn't impressed. I thought it was a bit thin, and slightly weak in the hop department.

3.16/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a dark copper color with a tan head that fills my pint glass. The head slowly fades to a rocky layer of foam that produces a nice lacing. The aroma is molasses and brown sugar atop a touch of earthy, woody notes, presumably from the hops. The taste is dominated by the woody notes, but a bit of malt sweetness and a good dose of dark molasses flavors push their way thorugh. Also a nice dark chocolate note that appears later. Decent bitterness on the finish as well. The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than many brown ales, but it holds it's own. The drinkability is decent, but not great. I would drink another of these, and easily could, but I don't know that I'd seek it out specifically. A decent beer that every BA should try if given the chance, and one NC natives are probably happy to have around as one of their regular beers.

Cottonwood Low Down Brown Ale from Carolina Beer Company