Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale - Carolina Beer Company

North Carolina, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros
4.67/5  rDev +21.6%

This is one of my favorite beers. Had it at a fall rennaisaunce festival locally. 2 years running now. Couldn't get enough of it last year. Cleared the shelves at the grocery stores. Hate that it's seasonal. Even my "No Thank you, I don't like beer" friends loved this one! The color was a nice reddish/brownish/and yes, orange. Frothing with a pumpkin smell, my friends were a bit offended by the odor, til they tasted it too. You just don't expect pumpkin pie in a beer, yet there it is. We all just kept saying, wow! It was light, and very refreshing on a hot autumn day in the south, and yet warm and comforting on the cool ones. I can't wait for the fall, to get my paws on it again!

Had this again in '05, what a let down. '04 has been the best so far, sad that it hasn't been matched since. Maybe '06 will make a difference.

4.69/5  rDev +22.1%

I'm a big fan of fruit/spiced beers, and this is without a doubt the best pumpkin ale I've ever had. I'm in NC, so mine is always fresh. I think the bad reviews might be the result of people getting year-old bottles from shady sellers.

Appearance - Hazy burnt orange with about a quarter-inch head that dissipates quickly. I've not seen another pumpkin ale quite this color before.

Smell - Just like pumpkin pie! It's very strange, but in a good way.

Taste - Sweet, yet very fresh-tasting. The spices (nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger) come through stronger than the pumpkin, in contrast to the aroma, which is much more pumpkin-heavy.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation (more than I'd prefer, to be honest). Tickles the throat on the way down.

Drinkability - Quite good. As much as I love fall seasonals, especially pumpkin ales, I'm generally tired of them by December. This, however, I could drink year-round.

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%

I love this beer. I went to Appalachian State, which is where this beer began. Cottonwood Brewery was the best, and it was very sad to see Boone lose it. Especially to Carolina Beer Company!
The flavor of this pumpkin ale is very different than any others out there. They truly have figured out how to create a liquid, alcoholic pumpkin pie! The only pumpkin ale I've had that is close to this flavor is Dogfish Head Punkin'.
Give this beer a try. I don't recommend any food with it, because the flavor is so complex you really should devote your entire palate to it.
This beer is fall only, not year round as stated above.

4.89/5  rDev +27.3%

2002 version
Hazy unfiltered orangish brown with a low light tan head and good carbonation. Perfect blend of pumpkin and spices in both aroma and taste. Medium bodied and smooth.

Blows Post Road away and is also better than Buffalo Bill's. I was pleasantly suprised !!

2003 version
Hazy amber color (near dark brown). Huge pumpkin spice aroma and taste ! An unreal job with the spices - Excellent !

Bronze - 1999 GABF - Herb and Spice Beers