1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale - Carolina Beer Company

Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced AleCottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale

Carolina Beer Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: aracauna on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Ratings: 159 | Reviews: 142 | Show All Ratings:
TheKingofWichita

2.88/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a dark russet brown color with a thick tannish white head and tons of lacing. Smells of pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg + some booze. Tastes very mediocre. Like pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc, but just too boozy. Mouthfeel is decent. Drinkability is high.

11-21-2010 23:45:39 | More by TheKingofWichita
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I tried this one during a layover at Charlotte Int'l Airport and was very satisfied by it.
It's a dark orange/tan color and very hazy. The body is on the heavy side of medium for thickness and is not watery at all. The aroma has some cinnamon and malt. The taste was a combination on cinnamon, nutmeg, and just the right amount of pumpkin. It goes down the gullet rather smoothly. After wards some of the spice and hops linger. This is definitely a repeat if I'm ever in that area again, or if they start distributing in the Midwest.

10-19-2010 23:28:02 | More by DesMoinesMike
thagr81us

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Served from tap into a SweetWater IPA shaker. Poured murky dark orange with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pumpkin, nutmeg, and graham cracker. The flavor was of sweet malt, pumpkin, and pie crust. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was quite excellent for its style. Basically tasted like pumpkin pie without a doubt. I understand that this could be a love/hate brew, but I am on the love side. My idea of these styles of brew is: dessert in a glass... Yes please!

10-18-2010 18:13:04 | More by thagr81us
knoxtennessee

Tennessee

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

My favorite type of beer and my favorite time of year.

A- Great orange color but super hazy and no head to speak of. This is pretty typical of the mediocre Knoxville bar I frequent.

S- Lovely aroma of nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon. Nice malty sweet smells as well.

T- As good as it smells. Sweet malt and spice. Nice and bready. A little dryer than expected. I like these beers a little sweet and heavy, but this one is lighter and cleaner than most. To each their own I suppose.

M- Lighter than you'd expect. Medium-light.

D- I had two back to back and could have kept going. More quaffable than one would expect.

09-27-2010 00:04:29 | More by knoxtennessee
mikesgroove

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Then I moved onto this one. I love pumpkin ales, always have and I always jump at the chance to try new ones. Well I wish this one lived up to my expectations. Very light pour, nearly pale with a one finger head of white that was soon to fade off and leave nothing in its wake.

Aroma is lightly spiced but seems to be dominated by more grains and bready notes then are really needed. This carries over well into the flavor as the spices and pumpkin like notes are there, but are either too light or totally dominated by this grainy malt flavor. A slight bitterness in the finish and a very light body do not help the cause here at all for me.

Overall when compared to some of the others I have had recently it really did not hold up well for me at all.

09-22-2010 00:18:10 | More by mikesgroove
jampics2

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap @ the Charlotte airport Carolina Beer Company restaurant. We were flying back from our honeymoon in Jamaica and were thrilled to have this oasis in the airport to relax during our layover. This was my first taste of real American beer in a week, so I was just happy to not be drinking Red Stripe.

Brought to the table in an oversized pint glass, this looks average at best. Muddy and brown with no head. Unfiltered and cloudy, it almost looks like, well, I'm not going there.

Smells decent, with nutmeg, allspice, and clove setting the stage and asserting that this is a fall beer. Also has an unfortunate "cooked veggie" smell, perhaps pumpkin, but perhaps a touch of sulfur/DMS. But overall, this isn't bad smelling by any means, and the spices all but mask what could be an imperfection.

After a mixed nose, I'm happy that the taste was really quite refreshing and well balanced. Cinnamon is the dominant flavor, alongside a touch of sweet caramel malt and some lingering spices. It's pleasant and comes together well, but it's not the most flavorful beer I've had. Still quite decent, even above average.

Average light to medium body is supported by average carbonation and a refreshing aftertaste with mild spices lingers. Overall, this was a good beer and hit the spot after a week of Caribbean lagers.

09-21-2010 13:45:34 | More by jampics2
clayrock81

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a auburn tinted orange with one-finger head and some lacing. Nutmeg is what I smell most, but there is good dash of cinnamon and pumpkin spice, and maybe some bread/pie crust. Incredibly smooth and creamy were the first two adjectives to hit me. There is a substantial pumpkin flavor in this beer. It maintains a sweetness while balance the malts and hops so it isn't overly sweet and it has a crisp, relaxing finish. Medium-bodied but filling due to the carbonation. With the ABV low and the pumpkin taste not a killer (meaning you'd get sick of it after awhile), I could drink this all day.

10-15-2008 17:16:37 | More by clayrock81
LiveaHoppyLife

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

I love this beer. I went to Appalachian State, which is where this beer began. Cottonwood Brewery was the best, and it was very sad to see Boone lose it. Especially to Carolina Beer Company!
The flavor of this pumpkin ale is very different than any others out there. They truly have figured out how to create a liquid, alcoholic pumpkin pie! The only pumpkin ale I've had that is close to this flavor is Dogfish Head Punkin'.
Give this beer a try. I don't recommend any food with it, because the flavor is so complex you really should devote your entire palate to it.
This beer is fall only, not year round as stated above.

10-06-2008 20:01:35 | More by LiveaHoppyLife
atsprings

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Served a hazy deep orange with almost no head that quickly diminished to nothing. The aroma was of some pumpkin spice and deep caramel malts. The taste was dominated by pumpkin spice against some mild caramel malts. The beer was light bodied with slight carbonation and a decent spice bite. This beer is a decent local pumpkin ale, but not at the top of my list.

10-07-2007 18:43:26 | More by atsprings
tommy78

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Got it straight from the tap. Immediately, I smelled a pumpkin aroma. Colour is a brownish/orange tint. As soon as I tasted it, a pumpkin flavor mixed with spicy hops hit my tongue. It reminded me of having pumpkin pie, except in alcoholic, liquid form. A good feel to the beverage, though it was hard for me to drink it consistantly. I had to take a couple of sips of h2o in between to cleanse the pallet. Good fall beer to have.

11-04-2005 02:04:39 | More by tommy78
AlexJ

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Draft pour produces a rich, lightly clouded sunset- orange brew with a creamy beige head that leaves some lace patchwork on the glass.

Sweet spicy aromas of warm pumpkin pie, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and clove, along with vanilla, mild piney hops, and caramel.

Flavor is rich and desert-like, with a well rounded malt entry, developed pumpkin tones shadowed by warm and sweet spices. Authentic tasting. Enough hops in the finish to provide roundness. Pleasantly sweet without being sugary. Very natural tasting and surprisingly easy to drink.

Like most of the Cottonwood brews, it is a bit light in body, not chewey enough. Finished like a slice o'pie, making me wish I had some good vanilla ice-cream to go with it. I like this better than most of the pumpkin beers I've had so far.

12-31-2004 16:36:21 | More by AlexJ
Boto

Connecticut

Draught @ the Brewery: The beer pours a rich coppery color that was somewhat clear. There was a bit of head on it. The aroma was completely that of pumpkin pie spices. The taste was really good. There was a fairly full malt body behind the spices. The spices could have been a hair less. Overall this was a good pumpkin beer!

09-18-2004 21:54:31 | More by Boto
Backer2004

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Bartender suggested I taste the Pumpkin Ale before ordering a glass but I boldly declined and went straight for the pint. Surprisingly impressed. The smell, of course, was like cinnamon pumpkin pie with the taste to match (although at first the after taste is what impressed me the most). Enjoyed the flavor and aroma the entire time and so did my wife. However, this is not a beer I could enjoy all evening.

09-13-2004 04:12:31 | More by Backer2004
finepaws

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

This is one of my favorite beers. Had it at a fall rennaisaunce festival locally. 2 years running now. Couldn't get enough of it last year. Cleared the shelves at the grocery stores. Hate that it's seasonal. Even my "No Thank you, I don't like beer" friends loved this one! The color was a nice reddish/brownish/and yes, orange. Frothing with a pumpkin smell, my friends were a bit offended by the odor, til they tasted it too. You just don't expect pumpkin pie in a beer, yet there it is. We all just kept saying, wow! It was light, and very refreshing on a hot autumn day in the south, and yet warm and comforting on the cool ones. I can't wait for the fall, to get my paws on it again!

Had this again in '05, what a let down. '04 has been the best so far, sad that it hasn't been matched since. Maybe '06 will make a difference.

05-22-2004 04:57:37 | More by finepaws
JISurfer

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

This is hands down THE best pumpkin ale I've ever had. I had it on tap at the brewery, which was almost heavenly. So much, that I sampled it like 3 times and got 2 pints of it(all for only $5 for the tour charge, drinks were free)! The color was a dark orangey color and had a creamy head to it that frothed very well, as well as lasted a while. The smell was oh so delicious, just like the taste was. It had elements of all spice and cinnamon. They said that they brew it with actual pumpkin, all spice, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, all of which are all natural. I was very suprised by their rigidness for the whole all natural thing. Anyways, I couldn't really think of any way that they could have improved on making the smell any better. The taste was similar to the smell, but was more complex. You could taste the all spice at first, but then the pumpkin, cloves, and ginger took over. It settled so nicely on the tounge. It was well balanced, so that it wasn;t too sweet or too malty. That in itself was very impressive, I thought. I honestly could sit at home, or anywhere esle, and drink this stuff forever. After having this, it makes me wanna go out and spread the word of the Carolina Pumpkin Ale. If you ever have the chance, go taste it. You will die a happy person.

10-19-2003 04:53:22 | More by JISurfer
homersimpson

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Deep hazy brown with a pert beige head. Smells like thanksgiving day. Lots of nutmeg and spice. The taste is over the top though. Almost lambic-like, it is a wee bit on the sweet side. The pumpkin pie flavors override everything else and linger in the finish. Girls love it.

10-11-2003 23:07:58 | More by homersimpson
aracauna

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

I wasn't expecting good, but I was impressed. Great balance of pumpkin, spice and the malt. Came across tasting a lot like a good pumpkin pie without getting too heavy, sweet or thick.

09-18-2002 00:10:10 | More by aracauna
kneeland

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Found a 6 pack of this on clearance in February, score! I've never had pumpkin ale this time of year, it actually makes me think it's autumn.

I'm not picking up on the spices, but yet the flavor is almost overbearing. The added pumpkin taste is nice though, not too much, not too little. So in other words, this isn't my favorite pumpkin ale, but it's in the top few.

The pour is a nice golden orangey color. The head works well enough. Overall, a pretty good little beer.

02-19-2011 00:01:18 | More by kneeland
khiasmus

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

A tired horse trots up the dusty lane, an empty saddle hanging cockeyed on his back. The orange sunset glows behind him and creates a thick haze, a turbid orange/brown through the plumes of dust. His muscles are quaking and a sheen sits atop his skin, with just the slightest bit of foam at the mouth left over from his hard run.
The rider left this morning, and was planning to return before nightfall, but that was before the messenger had arrived shortly thereafter, with word of a thunder moving across the plains, a stampede such as the area had not known in many a year.
Brows furrow with the obvious assumption, what with the horse returning all alone and the state of the saddle. The pumpkin-carving party has been suspended in preparation for the onslaught that can just now be felt in the vibration of the ground. The aroma hangs in the dead air, of pumpkins and spices, cider and biscuits all baking in the warm sun.
Dry, the cider is, almost tart, with the spice elements and faint honey blending but finishing with a nutmeg and lemon. A medium body, but the carbonation and tartness all lending a dry, please-have-another-sip finish.
All of the streets have had to be cleared, nothing left in the open. Their sides will press along the buildings as they part like so many sea-waves around the buildings, we hope. The porches will cave as their pillars are crushed in the onslaught. Sit still on the other end of the house and sip and enjoy, and hope for the best. The glasses are clinking on the tables and the pictures are falling from the walls. They're closing in...

12-06-2010 20:04:18 | More by khiasmus
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. No date or info.

Thanks to Onenote81 for sending this in a big surprise box!

A - Completely hazed over, this amber-orange beer had a moderately retained off-white head that ended in a lace-less thin pile.

S - The twist of the cap and following gun smoke wafting into the air released a burst of spicy pumpkin ale aroma. Ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin, cinnamon, and allspice combine for a pleasurable pumpkin pie aroma. Bready caramel malts make up a good crusty-like base for the pumpkin.

T - Heavy on the spice as the aroma suggested, it's got a great conglomerate of spice dashed in. Nice pumpkin flavor and smooth maltiness. Never overwhelming.

M - A little on the carbonated side, this pumpkin has a medium-light body, smooth entry, and a sharp finish.

D - This is a good pumpkin worthy of drinking all fall long. Enjoyable and tasty! Thanks Jon!

11-21-2010 19:45:49 | More by BeerFMAndy
Thorpe429

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a tulip. Color is orange-caramel with a slight head. Nose is pmpkin spicing, sweet pumpkin, and a bit of brown sugar. Taste is pumpkiny with a bit of spice. Feel is medium and a bit creamy. Love the low ABV and mild flavors. This is a fairly sessionable pumpkin brew.

11-04-2010 15:24:01 | More by Thorpe429
ClarkPinnock

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

I had very low expectations for this beer--not a big fan of the flavored stuff. But I have to say that they managed to make a beer that taste just like pumpkin pie and yet is still a tasty beer (perhaps some magic was involved here.)

Strong notes of coriander and cinnamon here. This beer has a very attractive caramel color. Full, nicely-carbonated mouth feel.

The taste, as you would expect, is of caramel, cinnamon, and pumpkin. Yet this is such that the beer flavor still comes through and indeed complements the other flavors.

As to drinkability....maybe one a year.

10-30-2010 21:23:48 | More by ClarkPinnock
jsdunlop

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I look forward to Cottonwood's arrival each fall here in NC, kinda lets me know Fall's arrived...finally getting around to reviewing this one so here it goes:

Pours out as a darker orange with lots of carbonation and a nice fluffy white head that recedes fairly quickly down to some minimal lacing on top. Smell consists of a blast of cinnamon, nutmeg, and some raw pumpkin, not quite as intense as some others out there on the "pumpkin pie" spices, but definitely smells delicious. Next comes the taste, which along with the drinkability, are the key elements of this brew. What I enjoy about this beer is the fact that there is a slight pumpkin bitterness that hangs around with your standard run of the mill holiday spicing, nothing too overwhelming going on here, light on the malt side with a spice note similar to that of a rye beer. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with an abundance of carbonation and sort of a slick aftertaste that lingers on the tongue. Drinkability is extremely high, unlike other bold tasting pumpkins out around this time. This would be a great beer for the cool fall evenings, but at the same time, it is light enough to enjoy on a hot summer day out in the yard...might go ahead and grab a case to test that theory out next summer

10-28-2010 23:34:57 | More by jsdunlop
Onenote81

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

12oz bottle, part of an autumn-themed mixed sixer. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very thick, cloudy dark rusty amber. The thinnest of heads rests atop. Disappears quickly. Not even a ring around the edge. No lace. The nose is weak and underwhelming. The spices are muted, pumpkin is absent. I'm finding sour fruits, and syrup. Not what I expected.

The mouth is decent. Good carbonation play, and a slightly heavy finish. I don't know. This has some mild pumpkin in the flavor, but it's pretty weak. It's more cider-y, with notes of apples and light spices. I'm not sure I would or could have another one of these. I expected more, but it was found lacking. Too bad. I wanted to like this.

10-27-2010 15:17:51 | More by Onenote81
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

A twist-off cap huh? Stupid, idiotic, asinine, etc.

A: Pours a dark cloudy orange ....about the color of toasted caramel pumpkin. The carbonation is a bit low and the head, while pouring an inch thick, didn't keep very long.

S: The usual band of pumpkin ale spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, etc. The cinnamon dominates somewhat, which is kind of pleasant.

T: Flat as a pancake! The carbonation needs a real face lift on this one. However, the brew finishes okay, and the taste is full enough, but dang... me.wants.more.bubbles!

M: Carbonation! The ABV is undetectable, but at only 4.5%, it's pretty much non-existent anyway.

D: I guess because of it's sessionability, one could make the case for its drinkability, but as for me.... I don't want another.

10-25-2010 22:37:24 | More by Chaney