Join our email list →

North Carolina, United States | website

Pumpkin Ale | 4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

I had very low expectations for this beer--not a big fan of the flavored stuff. But I have to say that they managed to make a beer that taste just like pumpkin pie and yet is still a tasty beer (perhaps some magic was involved here.)

Strong notes of coriander and cinnamon here. This beer has a very attractive caramel color. Full, nicely-carbonated mouth feel.

The taste, as you would expect, is of caramel, cinnamon, and pumpkin. Yet this is such that the beer flavor still comes through and indeed complements the other flavors.

As to drinkability....maybe one a year.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Deep orange in pint glass. Small head and slight lacing.

smells just like a pumpkin pie. Great. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and nice malt.

Taste is great as well. The best pumpkin I have tried. Excellent!

mouth is medium bodied. Great spice taste.

Very drinkable but usually stop at two. Great around Halloween/Thanksgiving.

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%

I love this beer. I went to Appalachian State, which is where this beer began. Cottonwood Brewery was the best, and it was very sad to see Boone lose it. Especially to Carolina Beer Company!
The flavor of this pumpkin ale is very different than any others out there. They truly have figured out how to create a liquid, alcoholic pumpkin pie! The only pumpkin ale I've had that is close to this flavor is Dogfish Head Punkin'.
Give this beer a try. I don't recommend any food with it, because the flavor is so complex you really should devote your entire palate to it.
This beer is fall only, not year round as stated above.

4.69/5  rDev +22.1%

I'm a big fan of fruit/spiced beers, and this is without a doubt the best pumpkin ale I've ever had. I'm in NC, so mine is always fresh. I think the bad reviews might be the result of people getting year-old bottles from shady sellers.

Appearance - Hazy burnt orange with about a quarter-inch head that dissipates quickly. I've not seen another pumpkin ale quite this color before.

Smell - Just like pumpkin pie! It's very strange, but in a good way.

Taste - Sweet, yet very fresh-tasting. The spices (nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger) come through stronger than the pumpkin, in contrast to the aroma, which is much more pumpkin-heavy.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation (more than I'd prefer, to be honest). Tickles the throat on the way down.

Drinkability - Quite good. As much as I love fall seasonals, especially pumpkin ales, I'm generally tired of them by December. This, however, I could drink year-round.

Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale from Carolina Beer Company