Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale - Carolina Beer Company

Carolina Beer Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: aracauna on 09-18-2002)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros
adowney523

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into an imperial pint glass from a 12 oz brown bottle bought in Durham, NC. Appearance is deep-amber and hazy. White head fades quickly but leaves some lacing.

Smells faintly of nutmeg and allspice with a hint of leather.

Hint of smoky and woody malt along with pumpkin and spice with good balance.

Moderate body with a semi-dry finish. Drinkability is above average.

Definitely worth a try. The smokiness makes for a not your average pumpkin ale.

10-17-2007 00:57:54 | More by adowney523
NCBeernut

Poured a nice orange that is just a tiny bit hazy. A small bubbly head forms and then quickly vanishes leaving a thin white ring. I have a hard time picking apart all the different spices in pumpkin beer, but this one definitely smells like it tastes for the most part. Cinnamon is definitely there, along with some other pumpkin spices. Maybe just a hint of vanilla (I didn't notice this until I saw someone point this out in another review). In my opinion, not overly spiced...actually just about a perfect amount. Pumpkin taste is genuine and fresh. A touch of hops rounds it out. A good session beer. Very nice offering from Carolina B&B.

10-15-2007 20:18:30 | More by NCBeernut
wagenvolks

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A generous pour, directly into the center of my Duvel chalice produces a a bright orange body with a good amount of carbonation to fuel a fleeting, tan head. Poor retention and lacing.

Aroma is definately packed with pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, bready malts, and more cinnamon. Smells like that first bite of pumpkin pie.

The taste is quite good, with a smooth pumpkin-y note complemented by sweet vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg spices, and a slight touch of hops. Mouthfeel is about average: medium body with a great deal of carbonation and not much of a bite, but a smooth finish. Very easy to drink, especially with the low alcohol content. As far as pumpkin beers go, it's pretty solid. Then again, that's not saying too much.

10-13-2007 00:09:03 | More by wagenvolks
brewshakes

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

I tried this beer in a mixed six pack of different pumpkin beers. I tried two Saranacs, two Pumpkin Heads by Shipyard, and two of these. It poured a pretty orange color with a foam head that quickly went away. The nose is really good with a nice pumpkin scent. The taste is nice with pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Is a good fall beer, just not sure if I could drink a lot.

10-10-2007 00:47:30 | More by brewshakes
atsprings

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Served a hazy deep orange with almost no head that quickly diminished to nothing. The aroma was of some pumpkin spice and deep caramel malts. The taste was dominated by pumpkin spice against some mild caramel malts. The beer was light bodied with slight carbonation and a decent spice bite. This beer is a decent local pumpkin ale, but not at the top of my list.

10-07-2007 18:43:26 | More by atsprings
BeardedSquash

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

I'll start this by saying that my judging for Pumpkin beer's rides a different train than it does for purity law beers. I sought this one out during my last visit to Charlotte because I remember it being the best out of the lot.

A" Pours an active amber orange, with a 1/2-inch head that doesn't stay long, but rims the edges before it leaves.

S: Cinnamon and nutmeg up front, with a bready undertone. No hops present.

T: This is what I like, a mouthful of pumpkin pie. I can almost taste the pumpkin meat (this is not figurative), and the spices retain their supportive role from the nose. The grains shine through slightly, but take a fresh baked crust aspect. All the sweetness finishes dry and satisfying. This is what a pumpkin beer is supposed to taste like.

M: This is the only area I would really work harder on. Active body and a low-medium mouthfeel. I would like to see a big full mouthfeel to accompany the whole "pie" feel this thing gives off.

D: One bite at a time. This is not a quaffer, but one to kick back and enjoy in the backyard as the leaves change. Finish the whole concept with a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

I think I'll review this one again when they get it on tap in town.

10-05-2007 15:09:18 | More by BeardedSquash
CpnYates

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is bar none, the best "pumkin" ale I have had to date.

I enjoy the fact that I can get the full range of Carolina brewing company beers about 30 minutes away at the Food City, so I have had experince with this brewery before. And like their other beers, this one is enjoyable and refreshing, beer after beer.

I poured this into a red wine glass... it was clean. Poured a nice cherry wood color.

Smells and tastes of pumpkins, spices, pie, cider, and a soy bean candle I had once.

No lacing, head no where to be found

I gave the drinkability a 3.5, but maybe a little higher on a colder night.

Good Beer

10-03-2007 23:29:15 | More by CpnYates
mortarit

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle.

Appearance: Deep amber/copper/auburn color with off-white head and great lacing.

Smell: Fresh baked pumpkin pie with roasted malt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and herbal scents. The aroma screams fall and begs to be paired with Thanksgiving dinner.

Taste - Start with a pumpkin flavor; mid-palate the spices join in: brown sugar, ginger, mace; a bit of hops on the finish. I really can't sit down and drink a lot of spiced beer like these. One or two at the most.

Overall, a good pumpkin ale. Heavily spiced, but you really can taste the pumpkin. One of the better Pumpkin ales.

05-17-2007 04:09:46 | More by mortarit
willjansen

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks fist of all to Big78CJ, the BA who introduced this beer to me and more recently gave me a couple of these to take back to Australia. Served from a 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Definitely a holiday favorite of mine...

Appearance: Initial nice head which quickly subsides to light lacing. Dark, somewhat cloudy amber - average carbonation.

Smell: Pumpkin Pie hands down. Smells a bit sugary with obvious hints of the basic pumpkin pie spices: clove, cinnamon and nutmeg. The smell makes you excited to dive in and taste it as few other beers do.

Taste: Basically tastes as it smells, but without the exepcted spice kick in the face... pumpkin flavor tucked in the middle with a dry, sourish finish leaving plenty of pumpkin and spices on the pallate to enjoy breathing for a few minutes. Interesting, but not exciting, play between the malt, hints of hop and the comparatively heavy spiciness - they seem to battle, but only shortly as the malt and hops quickly bow down to the spices - though it's understood that for this style, this doesn't necessarily mean it's unbalanced. Heavier spices would, however, quickly lead to imbalance.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium-heavy body with average carbonation - slightly oily with drying finish.

Drinkability - Considering it's a holidy spiced ale, it's extremely drinkable for the style despite the fact that it's probably meant for moderate consumption. I've managed to down a number of these in a sitting, but beware that the "pumpkin and spice" magic fades as your pallate numbs to the flavors.

03-25-2007 10:29:34 | More by willjansen
Big78CJ

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

I buy lots of this beer every year and cellar it all year so I never run out. I encoutered it a few years back in a mixed six-pack of "holiday beers" and then had a friend mention that he throws "Pumpkin Parties" every year in Asheville, NC (original home of Cottonwood). I accompanied him to a party and drank on a keg of pumpkin all night...it was great!

This review concerns the bottles i picked up for cellaring this year:

Cellared for about 4 months so far:

Appearance: This beer is not much for giving head and when it does it doesn't stick around long. The thin (<.5") head that poure3d onto the beer dissolved within seconds. The whole beer is a murky orange, almost as if I were drinking pureed pumpkin juices. Some lighter orange-yelloe highlights are visible near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: As another reviewer noted the bottle does not have as strong a smell as the tap but there is definitely a strong pumpkin presence and even some nutmeg in the aroma. I also think i taste soem cinnamon riding on a wave of clove. This is very much like a cold pumpkin pie smells.

Taste: You can taste the pumpkin much more than you can smell it and thankfully much of the spice is muted. There is a definite clove spice and if you breathe in you can taste cinnamon. Many pumpkin ales tend to allow the spice to boldly go where no beer has gone before, or wanted to go. Cottonwood lets it take a backseat to the pumpkin itself. There is also something sweet in this taste...maybe molasses, honey, brown sugar?

Mouthfeel: I like the way this beer makes me feel like I'm drinking a pumpkin pie (without the thickness). The carbonation is not too strong but does well to spread the pumpkin flavor over the palate.

Drinkability: Ordinarily I would say a fruit beer is limited in how often and how many I can drink (and I like fruit beers), this one is an exception for me. I could see myself drinking this from a keg all night (and i have the pictures to prove it's possible).

Serving Type: 12oz bottle poured into 33cl Hoegaarden glass.

03-09-2007 21:21:20 | More by Big78CJ
hunteraw

China

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I figured this one wasn't going to get any MORE seasonal until like September, so I'd better drink it now! Thanks to ipa2xs for sending this one to me in the course of the No Name BIF.

Appearance: A dark orange/honey/amber color with red tints. Nice one or two finger off-white head. Some floaties poured in, despite a careful pour. From my own experience brewing a pumpkin beer this year, I sympathize - it's hard to get all of the pumpkin and spice out! Retention is fair. No lacing.

Smell: Lots of pumpkin aroma, acidic-smelling, with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice notes. The brown sugar makes it stand out from other pumpkin beers I've had.

Taste: Not as flavorful as the smell, I'm afraid. Acidic, with pumpkin, very minor caramel in the finish. Spices are balanced enough that no one in particular dominates. Finishes dry from the acidity. Very nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light body, carbonation a bit on the high side.

Drinkability: Not the "perfect pumpkin beer" as described by some of the reviews, but very solid. Easy drinking with low alcohol, light body. Still a novelty beer, however.

02-22-2007 20:28:51 | More by hunteraw
blitz134

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Cloudy, murky brown-orange brew. Off-white head with a slight orange tinge to it. Head was an inch of loose foam to start with and finished in a thin dense layer.

Smell is strong of pumpkin spices, gingerbread. Definate pumpkin flesh underneath. Smells as I think a pumpkin beer should. Pretty inviting.

Flavor is slightly different but still pretty good although it is a bit light. Pumpkin flavors and biscuity malts form the base then a good mix of spices come in again similar to the smell. The spices hold on in the finish and linger for a bit.

Mouthfeel is maybe medium bodied. Carbonation levels are good, not too crisp. Flavor coats the mouth alright, but I'd like the flavors to hold on a bit longer.

Good drinkability for the pumpkin brews I've had. This one tastes alot like pumpkin pie to some extent. I'd have this seasonally, but probably have a hard time drinking it all the time.

02-05-2007 00:07:27 | More by blitz134
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

A few years ago I got into trying pumkin ales. I quickly decided it wasn't a style I cared for and haven't gone back to it until this beer. Got this as a bonus via trade. Wow, I'm now rethinking this style.

A - Cloudy orangish light brown, with a small off white head that quickly disspates.

S - Good pumkin pie.

T - Better than it smells. Pumpkin, gingerbread and nutmeg stand tall and tasty.

M - Medium body, smooth and clean finish.

D - Great after dinner beer. Not overly filling. Easy to drink a couple and relax.

11-01-07 - found another one of these in the cellar that I forgot about. Suffice to say it did not age well over a year. I'd recommend buying it fresh and enjoying it current. I know it should go without saying but having had tasted this I thought I'd footnote this review.

01-03-2007 14:26:30 | More by barleywinebrewer
plaid75

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a murky dark copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a deep cooked pumpkin flesh aroma with hints of sweet brown sugar. Perhaps a bit of nutmeg, but otherwise no real spiciness.

The taste consisted of a think pumpkin flesh mixed with brown sugar and a bit of molasses. Some nutmeg dryness. Again, not much in the area of pumpkin spices though.

The mouthfeel was full and coating.

Overall an authentic pumpkin flesh sweetness. However, there could be a bit more cinammon or allspice spiciness to balance out the flavor.

12-21-2006 04:46:42 | More by plaid75
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Acquired via trade from NClifestyle, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy light brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pumpkin (as one would expect), brown sugar, spices and caramelized malt.

T: It has a very sweet and bready taste of pumpkin and gingerbread, with caramelized malt, cinnamon and a touch of hops. The after-taste has me looking for a sip of coffee to wash down the pie, but then I remember that I’m drinking a beer.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation (I was expecting a bit less fizziness), finish is a little sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy, a little bit filling, especially if you drink it as a dessert beer after a meal, a good representation of style, there are others in the style that I would choose first.

12-02-2006 02:55:58 | More by TheManiacalOne
shbobdb

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Now, there has always been a huge problem for my taste: I love pumpkins. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pancakes, ect. But I've never really had a pumpkin BEER worth having again.

Until now.

It pours looking like a slightly fizzy, slightly transluscent piece of liquid pumpkin pie and smells just like mama used to make.

Mmmm, tastes that way too. I was (honestly) tempted to add a touch of whipped cream to the top of this beer (instead of a head, which it had very little of)

The mouthfeel was a tad thin, and I really think I could only drink one of these -- but, damn, it was really good. Doppelmeup passed this beautiful beer on to me telling me it was the best Pumpkin ale out there. He was right.

11-18-2006 01:42:19 | More by shbobdb
FenwaySquid

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with twist-off cap, no dating of any kind, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep burnt orange color. The head formed small and faded almost immediately into some lacing. Nice color, though.

Aroma: Sweet pumpkin and some cinnamon and allspice. Extremely pleasant.

Taste: Sweet pumpkin flavors mixed with some maltiness, it's tough to tell where one ends and the other begins. The spices stay in the background but compliment nicely.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp, carbonation was nice and lively.

Overall: An excellent version of the style. If you've never had a pumpkin beer before this a good one to make your first.

11-08-2006 04:06:43 | More by FenwaySquid
jabocu

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks again MetalMonk!! This pours a rusty orange haze with almost no cap. Kinda makes me think of canned pumpkin as it slithers out of the can. Aroma is a wallop of cinnomon, nutmeg, and clove. The pumpkin is so discernable with the old vegetable pumpkin meat... like I just stuck my head in a real pumpkin. There is a backbone of caramel malt in the nose as well. By far the best pumpkin beer I have had hit my nose. The flavor is a little dissapointing on the spiciness side however. But the juicy fresh pumpkin flavor makes up for it. Earthy pumpkin and toasted caramel carry througout with a light cinnamon and nutmeg to make you think of a pie. Hops don't have much meaning in the brew, but just enough to give a hint of citrus on the back-end. Medium body, medium carbonation, and very refreshing. Very nice!!!!

11-05-2006 23:02:06 | More by jabocu
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another of the beers acquired recently from my VA/NC beer pimp Metalmonk. A 12 oz. bottle poured to a pint glass. Very attractive label with a stylish king toting a large beer stein and a sizable pumpkin.

A: Rusty orange-brown with a 1-finger ivory head which fades to nothing. Quite a bit of unexpected sediment in the bottle made for a muddy pour. Appears still, but when held to the light a few vigorous streams of carbonation bubbles wiggled to the surface.

S: Delicious spicy cinnamon and nutmeg burst from the glass, creating a nice tingle in the nose. Emulates fresh pumpkin pie very well. Not much is discernable beyond the spice.

T: Doesn't live up to the smell. Has some spiciness, but then a heavier pumpkin-flesh earthiness takes over. A tangy, sourness ensues. Malts are light and finish is pretty bitter. I love the cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in the aroma; they just don't present themselves as well in the taste.

M: Prickly and substantially carbonated. A bit gritty, perhaps from that sediment suspended in the glass. Medium mouthfeel but somewhat watery. Lingering bitter-sweet finish.

D: A nice pumpkin ale, with great smell and good flavor. Not the best I've had but certainly good enough to have another. Likable & drinkable; my wife voted this beer as 'pretty good'. Low ABV would make this a worthy fall 'session' beer. Thanks, Jeff!

10-24-2006 19:26:20 | More by msubulldog25
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Probably as good as any Pumpkin Ale that I have ever tried. Seems like they start with a lightly colored English Pale Ale base, and added pumpkin character at a pretty good clip. Appropiately spiced to make this thing smell exactly (and taste very similarly) to actual pumpkin pie...with whipped cream. Decorated with all-spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Very delicious. Feels full and creamy, but not heavy. Lightly buttery and spicy feeling. A mild spicy bite in the throat, but to not the extent of all other pumpkin ales that I have tried.

10-19-2006 14:17:50 | More by BEERchitect
clemtig76

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Brown 12 oz bottle produced on 08/22/06 purchased at Green's in Columbia, SC. Pours a beautiful burnt orange/copper color with a thin tan head that quickly disipates. The aromas of clove, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cinammon remind me of a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Just a little malt in the background. Tastes very much like it smells, malty with those wonderful pumpkin pie spices. Finish is slighlty sweet and warming. Very pleasant and refreshing. Would make a great tailgating brew.

10-09-2006 13:55:27 | More by clemtig76
daliandragon

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Been holding this one in the fridge for a week and a half, which is an eon by my standards. Pour looked ggood initially but the head crapped out almost instantly withut a trace. Color is a dark cider with hints of orange. Nose has as much pure pumpkinn smell as any of the style I've ever tasted. Also as nice cinammon/nutmeg backing with malt undertones..mmm..tasty.

Taste is full and well flavored as the nnose with a spicy/clove finish, joined by a smoky flavor. Diifferent, and nice. Unfortunately the mouthfeel doesn't measure up the same way..too thin, without enough body to let the taste really shine. Also, the carbonation burns a bit whiile you're collecting flavor.

Definitely has its faults but this is still an original, well crafted pumpkin, certainly the best I've had besides long time favorite Post Road, and well worth a shot if you see a sixer or single.

10-05-2006 02:45:51 | More by daliandragon
Metalmonk

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

This beer holds special nostalgic value for me, as it defined my fall of 2003, particularly the music I was heavily getting into at the time. I go back in time by just smelling it, revisiting the look, feel and sound of used vinyl records, the sounds emanating from the hi-fi, and that particular melancholy, bittersweet feeling exclusive to the onset of autumn. This tells you nothing about the beer, but I can't review the beer without mentioning it. I drank my share that autumn, and will continue to buy a case every season. Not just for nostalgic reasons, it remains the best pumpkin ale I've tried so far...but I'm far from having tried them all. I'm still looking for something to beat it.

This beer doesn't hold up well in the appearance department because the head pours out thin and doesn't hang around long at all. The color is a cloudy rust-brown, which is nice. No significant lace buildup.

Aroma brings a nice pumpkin-y smell, seems a natural enough aroma, and there's a layer of sharper spices, like a cinnamon/nutmeg mixture, coming into the nose.

The flavors are much like the aroma, with a milky, dessert-y satisfaction in the finish. Spicy and malty flavors abound (cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, butter), reminiscent of the traditional Thanksgiving pie, and even baked apple shows itself. Hops mingle in there offering adequate bittering. Just about the only improvement needed is a creamier mouthfeel. It's a bit over-carbonated, tingly and fizzy where the flavors clearly call for something smoother and creamier. [I like to let this beer warm a bit, which seems to diminish the bubbly attack quite a bit.]

I've tried 4 or 5 other pumpkin ales. Some were crap and some enjoyable, but so far this is the best I've had.

[Note to self two years later: Southern Tier, Elysian and Smuttynose have pumpkin ales that beat this one, hands down. But I still want no other pumpkin ale with my Manfred Mann's Earth Band vinyl than this one!]

10-03-2006 01:52:05 | More by Metalmonk
mcallister

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Got to admit one of the better looking pumpkin ales I've encountered. Rich, deep, nearly opaque amber, orange. A white head fades quickly and leaves a ring around the collar.

Nice balanced aromas. Pumpkin first and foremost as it should be. With the usual spices making the rounds although everything is slightly laid back. Nice mixture of malt as well.

Pretty good pumpkin but lacking depth. Dead on for pumpkin pie great flavors of pumpkin with the usual nice spices not overdone by any means. If not for the thin mouthfeel this would be one for the ages. Easy drinking.

09-30-2006 20:56:03 | More by mcallister
MuddyFeet

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Been working my way slowly through this six-pack because it is such a rich and hearty beer.

Pours a rich auburn with a slight orange twist. Slight ead that evaporates to essentially a film. Nose is full of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Just like my Ma's kitchen whenever she makes a pumpkin pie.

Flavor is rich and bold and spices. Honestly, I am not sure if there is pumpkin or all the pumpkin pie spices are just tricking my mind to think that there is pumpkin in there. But anyway, the flavor is so rich and full that it coats the inside of my cheeks. Very sweet too. Full body that holds up well even as the beer warms. Such a nice example of the style

09-28-2006 02:02:44 | More by MuddyFeet