San Miguel Pale Pilsen - San Miguel Brewery Inc.

San Miguel Pale PilsenSan Miguel Pale Pilsen

poor

San Miguel Brewery Inc. visit their website
Philippines

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-09-2002)

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +64.8%

4.5/5  rDev +64.8%

4.25/5  rDev +55.7%

The any time beer

4.15/5  rDev +52%

San Miguel?!? Hoo haa! How about SammyGooGoo, as that is how it was pronounced on hangover-ridden mornings in the PI (Philippine Islands)? I was once a young man with a sensibility that might have done me proud, but after my first (of many) liberty port visits to Subic Bay/Olongopo City on Luzon, my boundaries were stripped away. Barrio Baretto and Uncle Sam's Saloon were the sites of both my first Around the World and my first public sexual act (in a hammock to loud applause). Blewed, screwed and tattooed all for less than $20. was the battle cry and SammyGooGoo fueled the madness. Hell, we called it Flip (sorry) Roulette, because it was often "Green" - underfermented and ready to finish fermentation in your gut and erupt at the most inopportune moment. You never knew until it was time. I won a LOT of money for my prowess with this beer and the squat little bottle still fits my hand like a glove. I miss the painted label bottles, though, and God help you if you broke one. They were like gold for their Deposit/Return value and were closely watched. That and they were the perfect height for the Peso/Banana/Lotion Dancers. Use your imagination.

From the (paste-on) Label/Bottle: : "A truly satisfying beer with a refined, well-balanced flavor. Perfected and brewed following over a century tradition of brewing excellence."

A finger of bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality, allowing me to look into the neighbor's kitchen. Nose was surprisingly malty and lager-like. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium and it had a really pleasant German-Pilsner taste in the mouth. Not a lot of hops, but not diluted with adjuncts, either. Frankly, I do not remember it being this good! Finish was clean, semi-dry, refreshing. Suddenly, I was back with my brown honey-honeys, jaggin' the Marines, lolling in the oppressive heat just before monsoon season. Good times, bro, good times.

Appearance - Pours a clear, golden color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Has a nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet, grainy, and malty.

Taste - Very bready and malty, light pale malts, and grains.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - This is a pretty good, crisp beer to drink on.

3.9/5  rDev +42.9%

Poured from a 355mL bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Transparent dull gold with very impressive thick, chunky head with decent retention. Heavy lacing. Lots and lots of bubbles.

S: Fruity and floral. A seriously strong smell. Beery/grainy scents underneath. Impressive range and depth of smells for a pilsner.

T: Light-bodied and vaguely fruity with a mild sweetness. Carbonation initiates a tingliness which provokes the beerier grain and malt flavours before a watery-smooth aftertaste carries it out. Very nice.

M: Light, refreshing, enjoyable. Smooth in the mouth and easy going down.

D: Insanely drinkable. The most quaffable pilsner I've come across. Easily sessionable, sippable, or consumable in any manner you choose. Definitely worth picking a few up.

3.85/5  rDev +41%

Pours a bright yellow color with a small amount of head that chunks up and fades away pretty quickly. I could actually smell this from the pour out of the bottle. Smells mostly of fruity/citrusy hops with a little bit of yeast there as well. The taste is very clean and fairly well balanced. I expected a lot more hop flavor/bitterness, but I was pleasantly surprised. There is some hop flavor and sweetness, it's nothing I can really make out though. It does finish nice and clean. Mouthfeel is light and lightly carbonated. All in all, it's a very drinkable beer, good for a hot day. I'll get this again, I think.

Experienced in : Manila
Appealing to me : its kind of bitterness
Less appealing to me : color

I like this beer and will look forward to my next drink.

3.73/5  rDev +36.6%

Appearance: Clear, golden color. Fizzy head and high carbonation.

Smell: Grass and hop resin.

Taste: Nice bite, crisp. Minimal hop and malt character, but what is there is in nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated with a satisfying thickness.

Drinkability: This is heavy for a beer from the tropics. I received this beer hand carried from the Philippines. This is better than the export version available in the States. Reminds me of hot Philippine days and cool nights.

3.7/5  rDev +35.5%

San Miguel has a very thick, frothy, white head and a clear, yellow appearance, with a good amount of sticky lacing down the glass. The aroma is overwhelmingly of bread (white bread). Taste is again bready barley malt, but some sweet hop spiciness is strong across the middle and end of the sip. It's spicy, so-to-speak. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and San Miguel finishes crisp, refreshing, and a tad cloying. Overall, this is a pretty good, and certainly interesting beer. I'd say it's worth trying.

RJT

3.7/5  rDev +35.5%

This was my first foray into a Philippine beer. It poured a light straw like color and had no flash at all. The taste was slightly pleasing but nothing to rave about. It basically just had that standard taste. I thought it was not really a pilsner but I am still a rookie! It went down very smooth and I would drink it again, and even again!!
Thx

3.48/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a golden clear with a nice white head. Decent lacing.

Aroma is probably the worst part but not aweful. Almost skunky but the beer isn't skunked in flavor. I'm assuming it's the hops.

Taste is solid. Nice pils taste with a bit of extra hop flavor and bitterness than your regular pils would have.

Mouthfeel is dry with higher carb.

Overall it's tasty. Not super easy to find and I don't know if I would buy it again but it was worth a try.

3.43/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a clear pint glass.

A-Poured a very translucent yellow color with a two finger frothy white head with good retention and ample lacing.

S-Grainy malts with slight fruity hops.

T-Malty sweetness that finishes with crisp, clean hop bitterness. Taste is very clean and straightforward and quite refreshing.

M-Very crisp yet smooth and well balanced. Vigorous carbonation contributes to its thirst quenching attribute on a hot afternoon.

D-This went down very easily and I would readily reach for another. Best cold as it doesn't improve as it warms. Very refreshing.

3.43/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Purchased at John's Market for $1.69.

S-Grainy malts with slight fruity hops.

San Miguel was my favorite import for as long as I can remember, long before I became a BA. This is very much as I remember it and it is much better than any BMC or the most ubiquitous import swill.

3.33/5  rDev +22%

Drank this beer in the PI. It was only about 7 dollars per case delivered to the door. Had to rub the rust off the top of each bottle with a towel but after that the beer overall was good. Not too carbonated, but some skunkieness could be tasted, the colder the better. Similar to Corona. Alcohol inconsistant. You could drink 10 and be fine, the next 2 could put you down.

San Miguel Pale Pilsen from San Miguel Brewery Inc.