San Miguel Dark Lager - San Miguel Brewery Inc.

San Miguel Dark LagerSan Miguel Dark Lager

good

San Miguel Brewery Inc. visit their website
Philippines

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 12-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of San Miguel Dark Lager Alström Bros
2.84/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a dark amber-red in color, darker than fizzy non-alcoholic cola-pop, and is brilliant or with excellent clarity. Pale tan head looks pretty good, with tight, small bubbles and uniform rather than rocky. Looks good is a glass...

The nose is sweet, malty, a little neutral and boring. But there's an off-note, medicinal as well. Plus, there's a oxidation to this one that makes me believe that the bottle I pulled from the undated six pack is fairly old.

Sweet and lightly-tangy on the first sip. The roast malt character which features in the language on the label is rather minimal. Finish is dry, but the oxidation is interfering with the nicer character of the malt (dark fruit notes, of plum and date, which I ordinarily love in stronger, richer ales.)

The body is thin. Carbonation is okay -- neither under or over-carbonated.

Altogether I can see this as being a nice, easy-drinker in the summer heat, as it's not too strong and is rather refreshing in its own right. It's not bad for the price I paid for it ($6.99), but I'm sure it would be a better beer within code!

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. No date.

Appearance: Dark ruby red to amber. Thin tan ring and skin across the top. No lacing.

Smell: Hint of raisin, roasted malt, something metallic.

Taste: Raisin, roasted malt, molasses, with a mild metallic finish.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated - fizzy. A little bit sticky.

Overall / Drinkability: I've had this before and I remember it with more fondness then, but it was the summer and I had it with a spicy meal, which is where I think this beer would shine better. It doesn't quite work well in the winter with a simple stir fry. Still, I rather enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind another, but I need to find the right food to pair it with.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Dark brown with one plus fingers of tan head. Five minute retention. No lace.
Smell is all roasted malts.
Taste is sweet dark malts. Hop character not found.
Mouthfeel is light to medium body with average carbonation.
Overall an easy drinking somewhat sweet beer that would pair well with spicy Asian or Mexican food. Tasty beer. No bottling date found.

Experienced in : US, Manila
Appealing to me : Inviting look and really great taste
Less appealing to me : accumulated sweetness as you drink more

I like this beer and will look forward to my next drink.

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%

3.72/5  rDev +8.5%

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.21/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Got it on sale, and I'd never had a Filipino beer.

Quite dark, little head. More malty than hoppy - not much hops at all. Roasted malt predominated, a bit sweet.

I paired it with a bean stew, and it went quite well. Probably would go well with a grilled burger, maybe with BBQ.

Good value, and pairs well with food, but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My first beer from the Philippines; trying it mainly for that reason. Tasted 2 July 2014.

Pours deep brown, quite dark actually, and clear at the edges. One finger of yellowish head, okay retention and decent lacing.

Smell is toasty! At first sniff I could mistake it for some kind of savory pastry. Reminds me a lot of the dark lagers of Latin America (the smell had me thinking of warm winter evenings in Mexico). A bit nutty, a hint buttery. Pretty good, though on the faint side.

Taste is fine. Again, toasty, with a touch of very light roast putting the claim on the label to shame. Mildly sweet, a little too much so for a beer like this. Not bad, just kinda meh.

Feel is okay. Medium-bodied, mouth-filling, with carbonation lower than I'd like it.

A pretty standard, toasty, malty dark lager. Flavorful enough, nothing wrong with it. As mentioned above, the kind of beer that feels right to drink on a warm evening.

San Miguel Dark Lager from San Miguel Brewery Inc.