Hare No Hi Sennin Barleywine - Yo-Ho Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Yo-Ho Brewing Company visit their website
Japan

American Barleywine |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: shigg85 on 06-28-2012)
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

BakaGaijin, Oct 20, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. I've never had a barley wine before. Beautiful orange brown hues when held up to the light and a thin head that left lacing down the glass as it was drunk. Smell was not overpowering and the sweet raisin smells were better appreciated after a few sips. Mild carbonation made this one very easy drinking and the alcohol didn't burn but toward the end of the try-your-best-to-sip session I was feeling it. Seeing as this is my first barley wine it's impossible to compare but I like this beer a lot and I'd like to drink it again but at about 30 dollars a bottle it is easy to see why this beer is so hard to find...(around here who's going to buy it?)

Love the smell, taste and the feel. Went great with my slightly salty Japanese dinner of fried chicken, deep fried eggplant, fried fishcake in bonito flakes with peppers... Go figure... I imagine something like sausages and cheese would probably be better though. I'll be on the lookout for this one in the future!

Wait... Wife's bringing the cheese now...

patpat, Aug 20, 2014
4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

A. Clear nut brown. No head or carbonation. Perfect for a Barleywine.

S. Dark sweet raisiny aromas you'd expect.

T. Simply gorgeous. Smooth complex, dangerously drinkable.

M. Nothing of note, smooth and goes down easy.

O. This is the best beer I've had all year in Japan, hands down. I think popeye has had this for a while, as it was really mellow for a Barleywine. Very smooth, raisins and sweetness you would expect. Obviously flat with no head, but for the style and age if anything this add's to the beer. A truly awesome beer that I would snap up whenever given the chance.

John_Henry, Feb 24, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

YamagamiTravis, Feb 01, 2013
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this on tap at Popeye in Ryogoku, Tokyo. Poured into a snifter. Cloudy dark brown hue with a thin bubbly head. Strong ethanol presence accompanied by cherry and mango smells. Tasty overall and sweet, but a bit flat on barleywine complexity. I would say that this is a great strong-ale session style beer, but it lacks a certain something I associate with great barleywines.

shigg85, Jun 28, 2012
Hare No Hi Sennin Barleywine from Yo-Ho Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.