Organic Beer Shinshu Sansan - Yo-Ho Brewing Company

Organic Beer Shinshu SansanOrganic Beer Shinshu Sansan

Yo-Ho Brewing Company visit their website

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 02-20-2003)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Weizenmensch:
Weizenmensch

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%

SunSun Organic Beer. As a previous reviewer noted, this may be different from Shinshu Sansan, despite the similar packaging. This one is clearly labelled "SunSun Organic Beer" on the can, and is not a rice lager - this contains no adjuncts as far as I can tell. I'd call it a Euro Pale Lager based on similar beers labelled as such on this site.

Pours a pale gold with low carbonation and a thin head which soon dissipates. Appearance is a little underwhelming, due to the carbonation problem.

Aromas of malted milk, barley fields, and not a lot in the way of hops. No adjuncts, this beer smells organic like it claims, but isn't very interesting.

Mouthfeel is very thin - this is a thirst-quencher, but it's really watery. This affects the taste - there's very little to report. A pretty insipid beer, in fact. Totally inoffensive but very little substance. Flavour profile might be compared to Corona on a good day.

Definitely drinkable on a hot day. But on a chilly night like tonight, it's little more than an appetiser. Hopefully the Tokyo Black I'll follow this up with has a bit more guts to it.

11-03-2009 02:48:22 | More by Weizenmensch
mrjez

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

07-23-2014 10:08:22 | More by mrjez
patpat

3.05/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I got this one in a set bought from the brewery through the Internet as a gift. I poured it into pint glass. Rough pour produced about an inch of head that stayed around for a few minutes and didn't lace with any authority. Color was golden and clear.

Smell was not offensive. Can't say much one way or the other. Wheat.

Taste was clean. Not too sweet and it went down smooth. After taste was not cloying at all. Crisp and dry makes for a session, but I may have been hoping for something more. I didn't feel like having another and I didn't although it was chilled and waiting.

Overall, I suppose this is a good beer to nail before the back nine on a summer day. I'll stick to something with a little more flavor, but it's a rice lager I guess and it was refreshing at the very least.

06-20-2014 12:37:05 | More by patpat

Australia

01-10-2013 02:56:41 | More by pin
toweringpoo

4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

Well this one was a surprise to me. I was at my local liquor store grabbing a couple singles for the night and I decided to grab one of these on a whim. It was cheap, and I was in the mood for a good refresher.

This beer really came through. When I logged on here to check it out I was surprised at the poor rating. I don't know if they changed the recipe or what(packaging is a little different and it's now 5% abv) but I disagree with just about everything bad said about this beer. First of all, I have a little trouble believing that this is a Japanese Rice Lager as it tastes nothing like any Japanese Rice Lager I've ever had(and I've had damn near all of em :P). It's fruity and floral, very little breadiness at all. Nice head, great fruity , slightly hoppy aroma explodes after pouring into a chalice(all I got :P), slowly dissipates after a few minutes. Taste is super refreshing goes down a little too easy and is really refreshing. The only thing I would like to see is maybe a little less sweet.

Great summer beer. I'll be getting a lot more of these in next few months. Those who've already reviewed this beer, maybe give it another shot, it's really quite good...and I don't even particularly like lagers :D

06-16-2008 09:49:35 | More by toweringpoo
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow beer with a fizzy white head. Clear as day with lots of bubbles and poor retention.

Smell: Quite nice and bready-sweet, with a hint of honey and a light touch of fruity-floral hops. Reminiscent of dough, tulips, and even lychee.

Taste: Brisk on the palate with a mild malty, grainy, bready sweetness, clean-cut by a burst of floral hops. Mild and simple, but good.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent and airy, with a slightly heavier body than expected, but a good level of bright carbonation to keep the sweetness tidied up. Well-matched to the malty-then-hoppy flavor. Could be cleaner in the finish, though.

Drinkability: Not quite world-class or anything, but it's a good, refreshing and nicely hoppy lager. It's cheap for what it is, too. Recommended.

02-22-2008 08:09:39 | More by soulgrowl
tjd25

France

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%

Almost no head on a boring pale golden color. The smell is of sweet fruity tea and caramel. The taste is quite fresh, sweet citrus, ginger. Maybe sweet hints of caramel. A chewy grassy hoppiness in the back of the mouth. Kind of watery. Probably a good session brew.

06-12-2004 16:51:58 | More by tjd25
donnebaby

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Gold unimpressive color with not more than traces of foam around the edge after moments. Smell is ripe fruits, especially banana, peach, and oranges. Like a Tropicana Twister.

Taste is small and arrives initially, reminding of the smell, of bananas, peaches, and oranges. A little watery on the finish. Scant hops. Mouthfeel is good, with lively carbonation. Again, watery though.

Easy drinking.

06-12-2004 16:45:14 | More by donnebaby
Naerhu

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

Ingredients: organic malts and hops

Beautiful pale gold. Restrained bitterness. Malty broad creamy flavor. Tastes like creamed corn. Could not get the taste out of my mouth for a day and a half. I went to sleep an hour after drinking this beer because the creamed corn flavor was making me feel bad and I woke up an hour later barfing my intestines out. I felt like this beer was trying to turn me inside out.

02-20-2003 09:42:12 | More by Naerhu