Hairy Weasel Hefeweizen - Steelhead Brewing Co.

Hairy Weasel Hefeweizen
No picture uploaded.

Steelhead Brewing Co.

American Pale Wheat Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Boilermaker88 on 03-14-2005)
Reviews by charlzm:
charlzm

3.55/5  rDev +28.6%

Consumed 04/21/08.

Unfiltered, cloudy yellow. Almost no head.

Baked bread aroma with a little banana.

Fresh bread flavor, some banana and sweetness. Aftertaste has grainy, wheat flavor.

A cut above the typical American "hefe", but no match for the German style in terms of complexity or intensity of flavor.

And best of all, not served with a lemon.

Reading back over these reviews, I think they must have changed the formula for this one recently as the flavor profile I encountered was different from what has been reported previously.

04-25-2008 00:10:29 | More by charlzm
Boilermaker88

2.42/5  rDev -12.3%

One of Steelhead Brewing's standard offerings, this American wheat beer arrived in a standard pint glass, minus the lemon wedge offered. It had a murky orange color and a scrawny fizzy white head that was gone in seconds, leaving no lace to mark its passing.
The aroma registered just about "zero" on my nose. A modest amount of grainy malt and then...nothing. At least the taste brought a little more to my waiting palate, though not much. It was devoid of taste until reaching the back portion of the tongue when, finally, the taste of wheat and malt became noticeable. No banana, no clove, no citrus. The feel was light, thin and watery.
With my tastes, hefeweizens and IPA's run neck-and-neck as my favorite styles. I had my hopes and tastes set for a German-styled hefe, not a bland, lifeless, and boring American wheat beer. Sadly, I got the latter. Unimpressive, even as American wheat beers go, and not worth parting with $5.

03-14-2005 20:12:44 | More by Boilermaker88
shade13

07-25-2012 21:05:51 | More by shade13
rowew

Colorado

2.98/5  rDev +8%

This beer is a hefeweizen in name only. None of the banana or spice characteristics I would expect. Poured a fairly clear golden color, with a thin head. Aroma is mainly wheat. Flavor is very bready. Not a bad beer, but don't call it a hefeweizen. If this were renamed it would get higher marks from me.

04-03-2005 04:15:53 | More by rowew
Overlord

1.95/5  rDev -29.3%

Other than the hazy, cloudy gold color, I'm not sure why this is a hefeweizen. SMells faintly of citrus, maybe some lemon and citrus in the flavor ... no bananas, no wheat, no grass, no spices... no nothing.

Very sub par. Watery mouthfeel. Almost no smell. I actually prefer Widmer.

09-01-2008 00:02:29 | More by Overlord
t0rin0

2.65/5  rDev -4%

Had this on tap at the brewery. I think hazy is not quite an appropriate way to describe this beer, I would use "Murky". The color was orange and yellow. The was a tiny bit of white foam that died quickly. It was difficult to distinguish the lemon flavor from the rest of the beer. Seems to me that a lot of these places put a chunk of lemon in their hefe to mask the flavor of the beer. I immediately pulled the lemon out and 10 minutes later after swirling the beer around multiple times I could still only taste and smell the lemon.

Finally by the bottom of the glass I could smell a bit of the wheat along with the lemon but thats about it. The wheat was noticeable in the mouthfeel and that is the primary reason that I don't like hefeweizens. In the end I would say it was more drinkable with the lemon in the beer than without.

11-10-2007 09:34:55 | More by t0rin0
Hairy Weasel Hefeweizen from Steelhead Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.